A Couple

Pot Shot

Taeyeon’s eyes light up at the appearance of Tiffany in the restaurant. The past two days have been tough and it’s a breath of fresh air to see someone other than snooker players and trainers.

“Hey sugar.” You look so good I wish I could just hug you and stuff you into my bag and bring you home to sleep.

“Hey sweetie,” Tiffany replies as she puts her bag down. She leans forward and plants a kiss on Taeyeon’s cheek before taking her seat. “It’s so good to finally see you again.”

Taeyeon touches her cheek as her chest swells with feelings. It’s a new sensation she hasn’t felt in days. “I missed you too.” Way too much.

“Really?”

“Nah, just kidding.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Yeah.”

“Now I’m confused. Do you miss me or not?”

Taeyeon laughs through her nose. “Go figure.”

Tiffany shoots her an unimpressed look. “You’d better be missing me like a cue stick misses its balls.”

“What the heck?” Taeyeon snorts with laughter. “What kind of analogy is that?”

“My kind of analogy.”

“Well, I do miss you. A lot. Even if I’m not supposed to.”

“Why aren’t you supposed to?”

“I’m supposed to be focused on training.”

“Oh, that . . . right. I hope I didn’t distract you from your training too much.”

“It’s hard but I’m managing it.”

Tiffany leans forward on her elbows. “It’s hard? Really?”

“You don’t believe me?”

“It’s not that.”

“Then what is it? What are you not saying?”

Tiffany shrugs. “I just didn’t think it’ll be too hard for you. I mean, you’re a professional.”

“I think you’re mistaken.”

“Am I?”

Taeyeon nods. “I’m not blaming you though. At first, I thought the same. I thought I wouldn’t miss you since I’m focused on training. But I realized I’m wrong, and so are you.”

“What made you realize you’re wrong?”

“The way I felt when you appeared just now—it made me realize just how much I’m missing you.”

“And how much is that?”

Taeyeon grins. “As much as a cue stick misses its balls, or more.”

Tiffany launches into laughter. “You’re good, you’re good. I guess I deserve that.”

“Give me your hand.”

Tiffany stretches her arm, giving her hand to Taeyeon. “What do you want it for?”

Taeyeon takes Tiffany’s hand and holds it to her lips. “Nothing. I just want it for nothing.” She closes her eyes and exhales slowly. “I just want . . . to hold a part of you.”

“Goddamnit, you’re making me emotional in a restaurant.”

A chuckle escapes Taeyeon’s lips. “It’s your fault for making me say how much I miss you.”

“Okay, it’s my fault. I’ll eat more rice as punishment.”

“Are you sure that’s punishment?”

“It is when it’s this late.”

Taeyeon glances at her watch. “You’re right. Let’s eat quickly and go home together.”

“I’m all for that.”

X

Tiffany sweeps the green peas and skeleton men aside to make space for herself on the couch as Taeyeon heads to her bedroom to change clothes. “Is it just me or have you brought more men home while I’ve been away?”

“Men? What men?”

“Jacks. You have more Jacks now. Should I be worried?”

Taeyeon’s chortle of laughter drifts from the bedroom into the living room. “You shouldn’t. The Jacks are for the Rapunzels.”

The thought of Jacks getting it on with Rapunzels tickles Tiffany. “I can’t believe you just said that.”

“Why can’t Jack be with Rapunzel? He’s well-dressed in a suit and all. He’s like a prince too.”

“He’s a skeleton, Taeyeon. A skeleton.”

“But he’s in a suit.”

“So, in your opinion, a suit is all Rapunzel needs?”

“Yeah.”

“What if I wore a suit?”

Taeyeon emerges from the bedroom dressed down in a casual grey cotton piece, loose and hanging below her knees. “You would be really good-looking.”

Nope, not gonna fall for your flatter. “Would I make your heart beat faster?”

“You don’t need a suit to make my heart beat faster.”

Oh, my heart. “Is that so?” Tiffany reaches out her hand with a smile. “C’mere.”

Taeyeon takes Tiffany’s hand and joins her on the couch. “Why do you keep questioning what I say?” She looks deep into Tiffany’s eyes and leans in. “Do you need proof?”

Tiffany holds her gaze. I need proof so bad that I look like the most insecure woman in the world. What’s wrong with me? “I want proof,” she breathes, and closes the gap between them with her lips.

Contact made, Tiffany closes her eyes and sinks into the feelings that blossom around her. She gives and takes, and gives and takes. It’s a two-way street and a couple dance to boot. When it ends, her heart is mushy and her breathing is heavy. Tingles everywhere.

“Do you want more proof?” Taeyeon breathes against Tiffany’s lips.

Tiffany opens her eyes and stares. Is Taeyeon feeling the way she feels? Does Taeyeon want her as badly as she wants Taeyeon? Are they together on this? If the kiss is anything to go by . . .

“Give me more proof,” Tiffany demands and pulls Taeyeon in for more.

X

Taeyeon sweeps the hair out of Tiffany’s eyes and smiles into them from above.

“C’mere,” Tiffany murmurs, stretching her arms around Taeyeon’s shoulders.

Allowing herself to be pulled into an embrace, Taeyeon rests her head beside Tiffany’s, digging her nose into the cushion below.

“You’re so small.”

“Do you wish I were bigger?”

“Bigger? No . . . I like you in this size.”

“Okay.”

“What about you? Do you like me this way?”

There’s something in Tiffany’s voice that makes Taeyeon lift her head to look. “I like you in this size too.”

“Okay.”

“You know, I’m getting the feeling that something’s bothering you,” Taeyeon sits back on her heels, palms down by Tiffany’s sides, “and it’s beginning to bother me too.”

Tiffany pushes up on her elbows and shakes her hair out of the way. “There’s nothing bothering me.”

“Either you’re lying or my sixth sense is failing me.” Without blinking, Taeyeon stares deep into Tiffany’s eyes. “Which is it?”

“I’m fine. Really.”

“Okay, if you don’t wanna talk about it, then I will.”

“What do you wanna talk about?”

“This wall between us.”

Tiffany sits up properly this time. “You think there’s a wall between us?”

“Can’t you feel it?”

“I feel a little distance but I don’t think it’s a wall.”

“It feels like a wall to me and it’s making me uneasy.”

“What are you trying to say? Are you backing off?”

Taeyeon frowns. “Is that what you think? That I wanna back off?”

“I’m not thinking anything. It’s just the way you’re saying things now. The way you’re looking at me.”

“How am I looking at you?”

“Like you’re gonna back off.”

“But that’s not what I’m gonna do.” Falling backwards onto her bum, Taeyeon’s shoulders slump. “This talk is going nowhere.”

“Look,” Tiffany shifts forward, curling her legs around Taeyeon’s waist. “You’ve got a tournament to focus on. A championship to win. Whatever it is can wait. We’ll talk about it after, okay?”

“So there is something bothering you.”

“It’s not a huge problem. Nothing we can’t solve. But you should be focusing on the game.”

This is going to bother me and distract me. I wanna talk it out now. “Will you come and watch?”

Tiffany tucks Taeyeon’s hair behind her ears. “Of course. Of course I’ll come watch. I’ve been waiting for your ‘all access’ pass.” She sticks her palm out. “Where is it?”

Taeyeon chuckles and smacks Tiffany’s palm with hers. “It’s not open to anyone but snooker players and trainers. But I’ll give you the VIP ticket they give us. Hyoyeon and Yoona will be there too.”

“What about Sunny?”

“It depends on her schedule.”

“So you might have a spare ticket?”

“Is there someone you wanna bring?”

“I was thinking Yuri.”

Taeyeon breaks into a grin. “Yuri, I see. Of course.”

“Did you think I was gonna bring someone else?”

Taeyeon shrugs. “I dunno.”

“Who else could I bring?”

“You have friends I haven’t met. People in your life I don’t know about.”

“I’ve told you, I don’t have family here.”

“Well, friends . . . old friends . . . who knows.”

Tiffany’s eyes narrow. “Okay, you know what? Let’s talk. Who is this someone you’re talking about?”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “No one. I’m just saying.”

“Clearly, you’re not. You said ‘old friend’, who’s this ‘old friend’, huh?”

“Leeyun?”

“Leeyun? What the ? Are you out of your mind? We’re not friends anymore.”

“But there’s a lot of history between you two. That’s not something you can erase.”

Taking Taeyeon’s hands into hers, Tiffany straightens her back and her voice thickens. “Okay, ‘fess up. What’s been going on in that head of yours?”

Taeyeon closes her eyes and bites her lip. “This is probably just my stress getting to me. And I haven’t seen you much lately. Haven’t talked to you much either. And all these silly thoughts just creeping around in my head.” She heaves a sigh out her nose. “This is dumb.”

“No, this isn’t dumb. This is bothering you and we need to address it.”

“You’re the one who said we should wait till after the tournament.”

“Well, I didn’t wanna distract you from such an important event in your life. But you’re obviously not okay so we gotta sort you out.”

“What about you? I’m bothered ‘cos you’re bothered.”

I’m bothered ‘cos I think you’re bothered.”

“Oh my God, this is ed up. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s not. Tell me. Where’s all this coming from?”

“Leeyun talked to me in the washroom some time back. She said some things.”

“Leeyun talked to you?” Tiffany pauses, her breath bated for a moment. Then, her eyes widen with realization. “Was that the time you became all weird and acted up in the taxi on the way home?”

Taeyeon nods without a word.

“.” Tiffany claps her hand to . “So that’s why you were not yourself after coming back from the washroom.” Her eyes narrow. “What did she say to you?”

Taeyeon relates the entire conversation and Tiffany’s nostrils flare with anger.

“She’s too ing much. How could she say all that to you?”

“She had a point.”

“Invalid points in my opinion. I could’ve set you at ease if I’d known earlier.”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “I wanted to handle it on my own. I wanted to sort things out and think things through.”

“But it’s not working. It’s been eating you up and I can sense it, believe it or not.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Tiffany smiles and hugs Taeyeon. “Everything’s gonna be okay.”