A Test

Pot Shot

Three days later, Taeyeon receives a notification from the Snooker Association informing her that she has qualified for the championship this year. Her heart sings for joy as she reads the e-mail and her first thought is to tell Tiffany about it but she waits till they meet for dinner in a few hours.

“The ‘Snooker Masters Championship’? Tiffany parrots what Taeyeon said. “It sounds prestigious.”

“It is,” Taeyeon states, trying not to look too proud.

“And you’ve qualified for it? Oh my God, congratulations.”

Taeyeon grins as Tiffany pulls her into a bear hug. “Thank you.”

“This is good news. Why do you look so serious?”

“Well,” Taeyeon begins in a grave tone, “it means I’m going to disappear a lot.”

“Disappear? Why?”

Taeyeon explains that as the biggest snooker tournament of the year draws closer, she will put longer hours into training and focus on getting into the zone. During this time, she will go for entire days without her phone and her contact with the outside world will be greatly reduced. And this will translate into Tiffany seeing and hearing less of Taeyeon.

“Ah, I see. It’ll be tough but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.”

“It’ll be tougher for you than it will be for me. I’m used to it since this will be my fourth time.”

“Wow, your fourth time?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you win last year?”

“I was third last year. But I won two years ago.”

“That’s impressive.” Tiffany flings her hands in the air. “I can’t believe you never told me this.”

“Well, I’m telling you now, aren’t I?”

“Only because you have to explain your impending disappearance.”

“It’d be so weird to randomly say to you ‘hey, there’s this huge snooker tournament every year and by the way, I won third last year’.”

“You should be proud of it. I know I would.”

Taeyeon chuckles and pokes Tiffany’s arm. “I’m not narcissistic like you.”

“That I don’t deny,” Tiffany quips with a good-natured laugh.

X

She may have pledged her full support for Taeyeon’s training regimen, but after four straight days of abstinence from Taeyeon, Tiffany more than ready to see her again. Seated at the café they agreed to meet at, Tiffany looks up each time the door opens. Each time she looks, air pushes through her nose in a sigh because it isn’t Taeyeon.

After more than ten disappointments, Taeyeon finally appears at the door. Tiffany raises her hand to attract Taeyeon’s attention and smiles as her girlfriend walks towards her.

“Hey,” she says when Taeyeon is close enough.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

“What happened?”

“There was an accident along the way. Jammed up the entire street.”

“Oh dear.”

“It wasn’t pleasant.” Taeyeon grimaced.

“Well, you’re here now. That’s what matters.”

“Did you wait long for me? Sorry.”

Tiffany chuckles. “Why does it feel like we barely know each other?”

“It feels a little like that to me. Coming out here feels like a foreign experience.”

“Aww, don’t be a stranger.” Tiffany extends her hand to Taeyeon. “Hold my hand.”

Taeyeon bites her lip and hesitates before taking her hand. “This is awkward.”

Wrapping her fingers around Taeyeon’s hand and holding it tight, Tiffany tugs it and says, “Remember that you will never be a stranger to me.”

“It might happen, though.”

“Becoming strangers? Nah . . .”

“You can’t be that sure.”

“Are you feeling down about something?”

“No, why would you say that?”

“I dunno, you sound kinda depressed to me.”

“I’m just staying real. Nothing is forever in this world. Insisting on it or being obsessed with it will only hurt you eventually.”

“Nothing is forever, but some things will never change.”

“Few things . . .”

Tiffany shifts her chair, closing the gap between them and spreads her arms wide open.

“What are you doing?”

“Come into my arms. You need a hug.”

Taeyeon looks around. “But—”

“No buts.” Tiffany leans over and pulls Taeyeon into her embrace. “Whatever is bothering Taeyeon right now, stop. Leave Taeyeon alone. Taeyeon belongs to me right now.”

“Nothing’s bothering me,” Taeyeon chuckles into Tiffany’s neck. “Don’t be silly.”

Tiffany pulls back and smiles into Taeyeon’s eyes. “A cup of coffee will make you feel better. What do you want to have? It’s my treat today.”

“Oh, you’re paying? In that case . . . Blue Mountain, please.”

“You want it, you got it. Anything for my poor little depressed sweetie pie.”

Taeyeon covers her face and groans. “Oh my God, the cringe.”

Tiffany simply grins as she gets up to but the coffee. “Wait here for me, sweetie pie. I’ll be right back.”

Once in the queue, however, Tiffany’s smile drops. Taeyeon hasn’t been the same since that little spat they had after their double date at Pot Shot. The distance started small, and has been increasing and Taeyeon’s focus on training for the tournament is exacerbating the situation.

What can I do? How can I get Taeyeon back?

Tiffany is out of ideas. All she can do is support Taeyeon while she trains hard for the tournament. What else can she do?

X

Few people are at Pot Shot this early in the evening but it suits Tiffany just fine. She gets herself a margarita and stares as the bartender busies herself with the washcloth and counter top.

“Hey.”

Tiffany looks up. “Leeyun, hi.”

“Why are you sitting here by yourself? Where’s your girlfriend?”

“She’s training.”

“For?”

“A tournament.”

“I see.” Leeyun takes the empty stool next to Tiffany. “How are things between you two?”

“Pretty good.” Not.

“If you say so.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Nothing. Just,” Leeyun flips her hands, “just saying.”

“It sounds like you don’t believe me?”

Leeyun shrugs. “I know you too well.”

“Do you really?”

“We were together for a long time.”

“And it’s been a long time since then.”

“You’re still you.”

“People change, Leeyun. I’m not still me.”

“Coffee, puppies, sweets, music, movies, night drives, taking photos . . . you still like them all, don’t you?”

“I may like the same things, but I’m not the same person. I’ve been through a lot in the past year and meeting Taeyeon is like coming home.”

“I heard she’s a new girl.”

“She is.”

“Aren’t you afraid?”

“Of?”

“You know what new girls are like. And I know what new girls are like. I got screwed at the hands of one.”

“Not all of them are the same.”

“What makes you think Taeyeon won’t be a typical new girl?”

“Nothing makes me think that, but I’ll take my chances. There’s nothing else for me to lose anyway.”

“You could be losing things though.”

“Like?”

“Opportunities.”

“I don’t see any other opportunities hanging around.”

“Sometimes opportunities are just around the corner.”

Like yourself? No thank you. “Why are you hell bent on this? What’s it to you?”

“I care about you, that’s all.”

“Well, thanks for your concern but I’m happy with Taeyeon and I’m not planning on letting her go any time soon.”

“Sure, of course. I’m happy for you too, you know. I just want you to be happy.”

You sure as hell didn’t care when you left with your new girl. “I get that. But I can handle my love life just fine by myself.”

X

With a towel around her neck, Taeyeon reaches into her duffel bag to find her phone. As expected, there are messages and missed calls and she goes through the list while wiping her face dry.

I miss u so much sweetie

Taeyeon smiles as she reads the message from Tiffany but a stab of guilt swiftly follows. Tiffany is missing her but she can’t afford to spend more time with Tiffany now. And truth be told, with all the training going on, she’s not in the zone to miss Tiffany back.

Sorry sugarbaby. It’s just two more days. Hang in there.

Two more days till they meet again. And each time they meet, Taeyeon examines her feelings carefully. Is she happy to see Tiffany? Is the happiness wearing down? Is she meeting Tiffany out of commitment? Would she feel happier if she didn’t have to spend her precious free time with Tiffany?

So far, she has not seen any signs of her feelings waning. But the ultimate test is coming soon—when the tournament begins and she cuts off all contact with the outside world for two weeks.