A Past

Pot Shot

Leehyun is just as beautiful as Tiffany remembers. Svelte and confident, she catches the eye of both men and women as she enters the café. Tiffany lifts an arm and their eyes meet, eliciting a radiant smile from the woman. Tiffany’s heart squeezes a little, but not too much.

“Hey, you.”

“Hey,” Tiffany replies with a smile. “You’re looking good.”

“So are you.”

“What are you up to these days?”

“I’m actually taking a break in between jobs at the moment.”

“Sounds great. What’s your new job?”

“Marketing. I joined the team at Vanilla & Company. I’ll be in charge of analyzing the target audience’s needs and organizing events to cater to them. Sounds interesting I know.”

“Marketing suits you.”

“Yes, you used to tell me that.”

Tiffany’s heart gives another little squeeze. “Because it’s true.”

“Well, you were right. In the end, here I am, moving to a marketing position.”

“As long as you’re happier, all’s good.”

“Enough about me. What about you? Same job?”

“Same job but in a different company.”

“Ah,” a glint appears in Leehyun’s eyes, “scouted?”

“Kinda.”

“Don’t be humble. I’ve always known you’d be headhunted one day. Are you happier in your new company?”

“In some ways, yes.”

Leehyun nods. “Good, good.” She smiles and taps the table. “I think it’s time to order something before they haul us out of here.”

Tiffany smiles. “Go ahead. I’ll be here.”

While Leehyun joins the queue to place her order, Tiffany checks her heart. The pain that resided inside for months is no longer present. In place of it is mild discomfort. Awkwardness is acceptable. To meet someone she had been with for such a long time is bound to be awkward. All in all, she’s doing pretty well, she thinks. She’s definitely over it.

Leehyun returns with a tray of food. Sandwich and cheese over wedges. Tiffany chuckles.

“Why are you chuckling?”

“Your undying love for cheese over wedges. It’s precisely why you picked this café, isn’t it?”

“You know me so well.”

“Yeah, well.”

“So, anyone new in your life?”

Tiffany detects a slight change in Leehyun’s tone. It must be awkward for her too. “Kinda.”

“Kinda?”

“I just met her not too long ago. We’re just starting out.”

“Mmm, so, you’re not committed?”

Tiffany doesn’t like the way the question is put across. “I’m committed. She’s committed too,” she adds, remembering the gentle way Taeyeon asked if she was pre-breaking up with her.

“I see.” Leehyun pops a wedge dripping with cheese into . “That’s nice.”

Really? Your tone seems to say otherwise. “Are you . . .”

“We broke up two months ago.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Really?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

Leehyun purses her lips and taps her nails on the table. “I’m sorry, you know, for what I did.”

Where is this leading to? “That’s all in the past. We’re over it now, right?”

“Are you?”

“Yes,” Tiffany says with an infusion of conviction she didn’t realize she had. “I’m over it.”

“Take it as a compliment when I say you’re a better girlfriend than my ex.”

“I’m your ex too. We’re exes, Leehyun.”

“Yeah, we’re exes.”

Tiffany lifts her cup of coffee to her lips and takes a sip. “This coffee is nice now. But coffee once cold, won’t taste good even if it’s reheated. In fact, it’ll taste worse than before.”

“I’m sure there’s a way to reheat it and retain its flavour.”

Tiffany shakes her head. “Not coffee, it won’t. It’s better to buy a new cup.”

Leehyun chuckles. “I understand, I understand.”

X

Taeyeon opens the door expecting the delivery man but it’s Tiffany instead. Her heart does a skip and she smiles. “Come in, come in.”

Tiffany steps in and turns around with a great, big smile. “I missed you.”

“Wah?” goes Taeyeon, then arms are wrapping around her, squeezing her tight. Is this a pre-breakup hug? “Wow, what did I do to deserve a hug like this?”

“Nothing.” Tiffany releases her and walks to the couch. “You don’t have to do anything.”

Okay, so maybe she isn’t going to pre-breakup with me. But why does she seem anxious? “Make yourself comfortable. The delivery man should be here with the food real soon.”

“Oh my God, I can’t wait. I’m so hungry.”

Hungry? Just hungry? Are you not gonna tell me about your meeting with Leehyun? “He’ll be here in the next minute—” The doorbell rings just then. “See? He’s here.” Taeyeon opens the door, collects the food and pays the man. Tiffany is right behind her when she turns around, giving her a fright. “Oh my God. You frightened me.”

Tiffany giggles. “Here, let me help you with the food.”

Together, they carry the box of chicken, bowl of noodles, plate of rice cakes and their drinks to the coffee table.

“Awesome,” says Tiffany. “The chicken smells amazing.”

I guess we aren’t gonna talk about it till we’ve eaten. It’s okay. I can wait. As long as my curiosity doesn’t eat me up first.

X

The food is devoured and so are the drinks. But Taeyeon is feeling nervous so she takes out the soju from her fridge and returns to the couch.

“Soju? Do you need to get drunk?”

Yeah, I need to get drunk before I demand you tell me what went down with Leehyun. Taeyeon shrugs. “It’s a happy mood, so I thought some soju would be nice.”

“Soju is always nice. Do you have beer too?”

“Sure.” Taeyeon returns to the fridge to grab a can of beer.

“For someone who gets drunk easily, you sure have lots of alcohol in your fridge.”

“I stocked up ‘cos you’re coming.” To talk about Leehyun. Which you’re not doing, damn it.

Tiffany claps her palm over her heart. “Aww, you’re the best.”

“You don’t say.”

“So, what movie do you wanna watch tonight?”

Are you never gonna talk about it? I don’t think I can sit through a movie without knowing. “Knock Knock?”

“Actually,” Tiffany clears , “would you rather we talk about my ex before we watch the movie? Or after?”

After? I’ll probably end up drunk if you’re only gonna talk about it after. “I’m good either way.”

“I think we should talk about it first and get it out of the way.”

Thank God. Geez. “Sounds good.”

“So, I met her at a cafe and we talked about the usual stuff. You know, jobs and all that kinda stuff. Then she asked if I’m seeing anyone new. Of course I said yes. Then I asked her if she’s still with that woman and she said they broke up two months ago.”

“That’s when we first met.”

“You’re right.” Tiffany raises her brows. “Wow, what a weird coincidence, huh.”

it. Just ask the most important question and get it over and done with. “So does she want to get back with you?” Taeyeon asks as coolly as she can.

Tiffany stares at Taeyeon long and hard with eyes swimming in amazement. “What are you, psychic?”

Taeyeon smiles with just the left corner of her lips as she hugs a cushion on the couch. “If it’s not to get back, then it’s probably to get money.”

“You’re an expert at post-breakups and it’s freaking me out.”

Get to the point, woman. “What was your answer?”

“I told her coffee that has turned cold will taste terrible if we reheat it.”

Taeyeon takes a moment to process the analogy. “That’s . . . clear enough?”

“She understands.”

Finally. That’s all I’ve been waiting to hear. “Is your analogy true?”

“The coffee?”

“Uh huh.”

“It’s true.”

“That must be the coolest rejection line I’ve ever heard.”

“You’re dating a professional.”

Taeyeon sticks her tongue out. “Bleah.”

With a short, bubbly laugh, Tiffany swings to her right and topples onto Taeyeon’s arm and shoulder. “But your hidden talents amaze me. Please notice me, senpai.”

Taeyeon jiggles her shoulder so Tiffany’s head bobs up and down. “You have been noticed. Senpai can’t help but notice you.”

“Does senpai like me?” Tiffany asks, batting her eyelashes like a sultry diva, making Taeyeon laugh.

“Senpai is okay with you.”

“Just okay? Only okay?”

Taeyeon giggles. “A little bit more than okay.”

“A little bit like this much?” Tiffany asks, spreading her arms as far apart as they can go.

“More like this much,” Taeyeon counters, holding her thumb and finger barely apart.

“Oh, come on. It’s gotta be a little more than that . . .”

Taeyeon laughs. “Deal with it.”

X