SUIT & TIE: The Red Cherry Blossom

SUIT & TIE

 

 

Sitting on their dining table eating breakfast as per usual, Jeonghan was noticed not himself when he spilled his coffee. “Something wrong?”

 

“I am worried about Vernon. He’s acting really strange.”

 

Seungcheol agreed “He will come to his senses as soon as possible.”

 

“No… it’s nothing like that. He’s-“ Jeonghan couldn’t explain what the feeling was but it really bothered him.

 

“He will be fine.” Seungcheol took a sip on his coffee and opened up a conversation regarding Jeonghan. “Jeonghan, I think it’s time for us to discuss about you. You haven’t really tell me the exact details about your past.”

 

Getting ready with the questions, Jeonghan said nervously “Go on. I think you deserve to know.”

 

Seungcheol felt extremely relief on how Jeonghan responded. In addition, Jeonghan had to throw a statement saying “Seungcheol, you have to be strong for me.”

 

“I am trying.” answered Seungcheol.

 

“You have to.” The seriousness on Jeonghan’s face gave Seungcheol a fright.

 

“I am… with you.”

 

Jeonghan was frustrated. He knew it would be hard, especially for the days to come. “Could you be more serious?”

 

“I am.” as evident in his face.

Jeonghan sighed “Since you already know who I am, I will tell you why they still want me.” looking at Seungcheol, he warned. “They will come and get me, Seungcheol. If anyone I love will end up dead in this battle, it is over for me. It will be automatically my defeat.”

 

Seungcheol knew how scared Jeonghan was even if he won’t tell, so he held his hands and uttered “I will never let you lose. I am here, that’s why quit saying that you are going away from me.”

 

“And what would you do if I got no choice?”

 

Seungcheol thought it was serious. More serious that he ever could have imagine it would be. “Let me ask you one last question… Am I one of those whom you love?”

 

Jeonghan was damn serious when he admitted. “Yes.”

 

Seungcheol didn’t know how happy he could be at that moment. He never thought a simple answer like that would boost his confidence even though he knew how long would be the fight in all aspects of their lives just to get Jeonghan. “If you don’t want me to die, then… would you leave me?”

 

“We’ve been here before and I don’t answer the same question twice.”

 

“You don’t still believe in me.” Seungcheol murmured as he looked Jeonghan in the eye.

 

“I don’t trust you, Seungcheol.” letting out a difficult word, it pained him knowing the circumstances were for the both of them.

 

“I don’t just die, Jeonghan. I am here to protect you in the first place. Why can’t you just let me do my job?”

 

“You married me for free, Seungcheol. I don’t trust that. You promised to protect me in exchange of nothing from me. It’s just confusing.”

 

“I did ask you of something.” Seungcheol frowned in frustration. “I did ask you to be my partner. To be my wife.”

 

“That was before. From now on, it’s different. This is out of our contract. I am begging you to stand back. Let me take care of my personal issues.”

 

“This is not about our contract, Jeonghan! This is you and me. Understood? We can work together like we always do.”

 

“Seungcheol, listen to me… the ‘you’ and ‘me’ has always been ‘you’ and ‘me’. There’s always an in between. Please, you are important to me. You’ve been a part of my life and spending time with you is a great time for me.”

 

Seungcheol realized that maybe he was the one who made their relationship that gap between the both of them as friends, as a partner and as a spouse. He accepted it bravely but it didn’t mean he’d give up so easily. ”I am sorry I made you feel that way.” he murmured guiltily.

 

Jeonghan was surprised.

 

“Is there any way you’d give me another chance?”

 

“Survive.” Jeonghan said firmly. “Listen to me carefully, Seungcheol. They will chase me hard and they would kill people for it because the one they need from me will give them not just tons of money and gold but power over their own country. Do you get me? Soon, they will try to conquer.”

 

“Did you know exactly where and what would get them to power?”

 

“I discovered about the money and the gold in Egypt with the key I got from the brooch. Moreover, I found a piece of chip at the center of it all inside a vault with my finger print reserved to open it.”

 

“Where is it now?”

 

“I kept it safe. It’s with the keeper. We already opened it up but we haven’t decipher it yet.” Jeonghan explained.

 

Seungcheol recalled their honeymoon and thought he used the time in their vacation to solve things related to his case. “Wait. Did you plan to go there to-“

 

Jeonghan apologized and said “I want to verify it. But don’t get me wrong, it’s not just about it. You and me… I gave it a chance, Seungcheol. I loved out trip but that just automatically stopped when we arrive here. It’s like a- a fantasy in a book which ends at the very last page.”

 

.

.

.

09: 00 PM, right after he visited Jeonghan, Vernon was holding the last document he had on his way to the Choi’s Mansion. He was using his own car. Of course, he’d have a car of his own because he’s special. Although, along with the documents on the passenger’s seat, there’s a gun. “I won’t let you escape your sins, SeungWon ssi. It’s time for a nice payback.” Murmured to himself.

 

CHOI MANSION_

 

It was dark and late for a visit. Vernon wasn’t expected in that house but since a trusted one, he could just enter without any questions ask. Vernon greeted the other guards with a friendly gesture.

 

And whenever a “What brings you here?” question comes along, Vernon answers “Got a document to pass on.”

 

He was even greeted by the lady boss, Se Jong, with a smile. “How are you, Vernon? Did you have dinner yet?”

 

Vernon answered with a smile “I am good, my lady. Where is the Boss?”

 

“He’s in the room you know where.” She chuckled sweetly.

 

“Thank you, Se Jong ssi.”

 

“I hope you can join us later.”

 

“I have someone to have dinner with.” He smiled politely.

 

Se Jong became glad knowing that Vernon was having a social life at least. “That’s a good news, sweetheart.” Considering Vernon as his son too. “I think I should know her too.”

 

“If there’s a chance, I will. If you’d excuse me.”

 

“Sure.”

 

CHOI SEUNGWON’S LIBRARY/ OFFICE_

 

“Good evening, Boss.” Called Vernon in a stiff voice compared to how he greeted the lady boss.

 

“What brings you here, son.”

 

Vernon scoffed. “It’s funny you call me a son, boss.”

 

Seungwon frowned, a bit confused. “Is there something wrong, Vernon?”

 

 “If you have already forgotten. I don’t mind refreshing you again.” said him in an unusual irritation.

 

SeungWon was troubled, so he let his guards off and tried to listen.

 

“Do you still remember my family, Seungwon ssi?” Started his talking fiercely. “They’re gone because of your pride and greed. You killed them!”

 

Now SeungWon understood clearly Vernon’s sentiments. He already find out. “You are saying you are here to take revenge.” Slightly feeling proud of Vernon for his bravery. “You didn’t forget, young man.” Chuckling ludicrously “You are brave, Vernon. I admire your passion.”

 

Vernon was a little insulted on how SeungWon acted. “You find my family’s life ridiculous, aren’t you? You even tried to raise me as your son. That’s what your guts tells you. It’s kind of disturbing now that I finally uncover everything.”

 

“You are very patient.” said SeungWon, still, with a proud voice. Feeling that he raised a wise man. “You are wrong. You are still a family to me.”

 

“And that was your way to escape from your crime? Or maybe it is your conscience.” Vernon gritted his teeth. “To raise me? Huh! Bull! It doesn’t change anything!”

 

“What do you really want, Vernon?”

 

“You killed all my family and relatives but me… why?” Vernon shouted for the first time.

 

“So that someday, you can punish me for the sins I made.”

 

It’s excruciating for Vernon to hear such nonsense. “You demon!”

 

SeungWon chuckled. “That’s what they say I am.”

 

Vernon’s eyes were glaring. However, SeungWon remained firm. As a matter of fact, he opened his arms widely saying “Here you go, son. Shoot me right now.” seeing the gun packed on his waist. “Do whatever you please.”

 

 

Vernon was stunned. He didn’t expect that Seungwon might have prepared for this day. However, dying is too easy to escape crimes. “Son of a b-“

 

“They’re the traitor, my dear boy. Not you. I spared you because you are innocent.”

 

“And you think killing them was the solution?” with much pained expression.

 

“I am a bad person, Vernon. Before and even now.” Slowly getting closer to Vernon not trying to explain himself. “I can never change myself anymore. It’s too late.”

 

Vernon, on the other hand, was moving backwards.

 

“Vernon. I am telling you the truth when I say I love you as a son but I did not regret what I’ve done.”

 

Vernon find absurdity as he cried. “You had me under your wing for a long time and I had no idea. I didn’t believe it at first but-“

 

“I am ready to kill whoever tries to kill or betray me but you, a child, so little and innocent… All I could think of are my children. You have nothing to do with what they’ve done. You don’t deserve a consequence for something you’ve never done.”

 

<<

 

Chwe was a part of SeonBi’s brotherhood. Their family was loyal. In fact the most favorable family for SeungWon amongst all his other clans. However, since Seungwon’s business nearing into bankruptcy was affecting the whole SeonBi brotherhood, people thought it would be better if he’d step down from his position as a leader since he couldn’t sustain any longer. It was professional. Board members actually decided unanimously on letting SeungWon retire.

 

Being the one closest to SeungWon, moreover, the one he trusts and treats as a real brother, William Chwe was asked to advise Seungwon of their decision. William Chwe is a half Korean-American serving Korean government with a high ranking position in the police.

 

The news reached Seungwon through Williamas planned. However, instead of letting go, SeungWon decided not to give up his position. “SeungWon, this is for the best.”

 

“Who are you to decide for me?” asked SeungWon in a very irritated tone “I’ve got this.”

 

“My friend, I know how important this is to you but you’ve done what you can. Besides, at your age, you can start all over again.”

 

“I’ve already made my move.”

 

William, on the other hand, had no idea what action Seungwon was talking about and asked “You’ve made a move?” asked William suspectedly.

 

“I’ve found business partners.”

 

“What? To whom?” Fearing that SeungWon had taken his brother’s recommendation, William was anxious anticipating the answer.

 

“To the Ivanovs and Xus.”

 

William was dumbfounded when he found out that it was worst that what he was expecting. William fought with SeungWon. It was for his friend’s best interest but the other took it badly.

 

While the Chois were slowly rising the Chwe, especially William, was doing his best to straighten things up. Since he knew the effects of the partnership Choi and Ivanov, despite being able to prosper in the business which was shipping, William took the courage to dissolve that partnership for the sake of his old friend and for the SeonBi community. He felt that it was his responsibility that happened.

 

SeungWon knew what William had in mind. He was also aware that William was responsible for the busting of Russian illegal goods but he chose not to sell his friend the moment he knew because he thought he could talk to William out of it.

 

“Officer Chwe… It’s been a while.” SeungWon called for William right at their favorite hangout place.

 

“SeungWon, please. Let’s stop this. You are affecting the families around you and you know I can’t protect you once you got caught.”

 

“You will not sell me, do you, brother?”

 

“I understand that you are doing this to save your family and business but brother, this is not the right way.”

 

“I cannot give up everything, William. I will manage to go out. Just give me time.” Said SeungWon in distress.

 

“Look. We are a family here. I will never leave your side but what you are doing is wrong. You know that. If you want the money, I can help you find a proper investor. A legal one…You have to cut the chains with the Ivanovs and the Xus before it’s too late.” pleaded William

 

“You don’t understand, William. I have so many debts. I am ashamed to my wife who does everything for me. Besides, what will my in-laws and our community will say behind my back?”

 

“SeungWon, you can recover with that. But choosing to tie with the most dangerous people in the world may endanger not only yourself but your whole family.” convinced William.

 

“Please. Just let me pay this debt of mine first. I am almost there. I promise I will let loose after that.”

 

“I can’t believe that your brother’s did this to you. How could they let you suffer from their own faults.”

 

“Brother, they are my family too. Besides, we have no other choice.”

 

With that answer, it came to William’s mind that he was one to agree with the partnership as well. “Don’t tell me, you agreed willingly with this kind of business, SeungWon?”

 

“It is the easiest way.” said SeungWon with his head down feeling guilty of what he’s done.

 

William sighed in disappointed. “Do whatever you want. I will not stay near your business but don’t run to me pleading to save you when you got caught.”

 

After a year, SeungWon got caught. He was put in a terrible position and he couldn’t thought of someone else to save him but William. “William! Help me! Please! I have no one else.” Seungwon knocked on Chwe’s residence non-stop.

 

William became alerted. “What happened?”

 

“They find us out.” Gulping as he searched for the words.

 

“I thought you’d cut ties after you’ve paid your debts?”

 

“I know. I know. I was wrong. Please. Just this once, brother.”

 

“!” William murmured. And since his friend was in grave danger, he told SeungWon “Just this once.”

 

Once wasn’t that accurate enough when William was getting more and more involved in SeungWon’s business after the said incident. One night, they talked and William was really pissed. “I am not doing this anymore, SeungWon. I cannot afford to risk my family’s life too. Get your together, SeungWon!”

 

“William. Brother. I know this is entirely my fault. I promise I’ll quit.”

 

Knowing that SeungWon was only lying to himself, William said “You can’t quit, can you?” he suspected. “You are already addicted to what those bastards gave you.”

 

“William, listen to me.”

 

“What for? If you can’t quit, I will make it stop for you.” William threatened as he walked away.

 

“William!” called SeungWon but he didn’t turn back. Guess his friend was serious when he said that. He listened to his anger and considered William as his enemy. When things had gone bad for him and his family including his partners in Korea, he blamed it all on his best friend despite not having a solid evidence that he was the one to expose them.

 

“You betrayed me, brother.” Holding a gun pointing at William’s head that night while protecting his wife in his arms. Luckily, his son was put to bed. Hoping that SeungWon would not notice his son.

 

The war began when a gunshot was served as the sign. People were dead swimming in the pool of their own blood that night. It was loud outside making the young Vernon, who was seven at that time, woke up.

 

The moment he opened the door, he could see a man holding a gun right before his father and mother’s dead body.  

 

“Papa! Mama!” cried the little Vernon which snapped SeungWon back to reality, seeing how cruel he had become. He was not aware that William had a child. He did not tell him.

 

Immediately, SeungWon felt guilt. Seeing a child, more or less same age as his children, SeungWon rushed to the door in panic. It also terrified him of the idea that he personally killed his one and only best friend.

 

Se Jong, at that time, was too late to stop her husband. It was hell when she saw the scene. Even more torturing when she saw a child alone in the middle of a horrible sight. “What have you done?! He was the only person who believed in you! How could you?” not knowing what to do as she felt disgusted over the tragic scenery. Moreover, the smell of blood was all over the place. “He did not do this to you, SeungWon. It is you!”

 

Rushing to the poor little boy, Se Jong embraced and comfort him. The poor boy was obviously traumatized. He even passed out in distress.  When he woke up, he wouldn’t speak to anyone. Worse, he was only staring blankly in the air.

 

Se Jong felt responsible for the child. She decided to adopt him whether SeungWon agreed or not. Vernon seemed to lose his memory a bit because of the trauma. It helped SeungWon a lot but Se Jong did not tolerate her husband. She was the one who called the police. However, no one came to rescue but people from medical team. It turned out that SeungWon already had a deal with Lee JinJin, father of Lee Jihoon, for his protection in exchange of a deal.

 

“You are a monster!” shouted Se Jong at her husband in his library inside the house.

 

“I know how you feel, Se Jong. Forgive me but it is my duty to protect all of you.”

 

“That is your lame excuse? You are a coward!” accused Se Jong.

 

“You’ve done a lot of things for me, Se Jong. I know you are mad right now and I am very much aware of how wrong I was… it’s just- I can’t turn back time anymore.”

 

Se Jong scoffed in anger and in disappointment. “I do not know you anymore... Remember that someday, this will all come back to you and it is entirely your fault if anyone in this family spills blood. William was just trying to protect you… us, but you let your greed eat you.”

 

_End of Flashback>>>

 

“You wanted me to suffer that’s why you keep me alive. You wanted me to grow so I can kill you!”

 

“Vernon, I know I’ve done too many terrible things but I cannot return back the time, child. I am ready to die in your hands and you deserve it.”

 

“You definitely deserve to die! But that’s an easy way to escape your sins. You deserve to be in prison and pay your debts slowly and excrutiatingly.” Vernon gritting his teeth. “You’ve ordered Judge Yoon’s murder… Why?!” he shouted.

 

 “I did it for my family, son.”

 

“For your family? You promised that you’d protect Jeonghan hyung!”

 

“That’s all the deal was.”

 

Vernon was quite shocked on how SeungWon say those words without hesitating or remorse. “You are really a devil.”

 

“I am a business man, Vernon.”

 

“You are cruel! How can you face your family with that heart of yours?!”

 

“They don’t have to accept me. All I want to know is my family is safe.”

 

It may sound absurd but he would also take the chance of killing people if anyone touches his most important ones. “And what terrible things you’ve done this time?”

 

“It doesn’t matter. As long as we are all safe and free at last.”

 

“Tell me what the deal is!” Vernon demanded.

 

“As long as I keep Jeonghan alive. That’s the only deal JaeWon and I had. There’s nothing much to worry now, to be honest. He’ll be safer with his real family than with us.”

 

Now, SeungWon has done it. Vernon was in rage. “This is bull!” a gun was now pointing at SeungWon.

 

“If you want to kill me, you have to do it now before anyone does.”

 

Vernon started adjusting the gun ready to fire. “Hell might be the right place for you, SeungWon ssi.”

 

And a gun was fired that night. After that, a series of gun fire was heard inside the mansion. No one was there. Or even if there was someone, he or she would hide in fear since getting involved might just kill you.

.

.

.

That night, Minhyuk was into going back to their house, walking pass the gate, he saw Vernon in distress running fast away from the mansion. Minhyuk wasn’t feeling good seeing Vernon on that sight so he rushed into the mansion to check if everything is fine.

 

In his surprise, he saw his mother covered in blood. Her blood. Minhyuk was terrified as he ran towards his mother. Thank goodness it wasn’t that bad.

 

“Who did this to you?” asked Minhyuk in panic.

 

“You father-“ the only words he could hint given her strength.

 

“What happened?”

 

Se Jong was crying. She couldn’t contain her fear and sadness from the tragedy when she uttered Vernon’s name before she passed out.

 

“What?” Minhyuk was trying to pick up the pieces from the order of the events he just saw that night. Knowing that he couldn’t yet be discovered by the authority, he called the medics first as he ordered their butler to call the police. When Se Jong was already rescued, Minhyuk ran restlessly to find his father. It terrified him finding SeungWon completely dead on the floor.

.

.

.

That night, Vernon came to Seungkwan’s apartment with all the blood stains in his shirt. He was wounded.

 

“What happened?” Seungkwan exclaimed.

 

“Choi SeungWon is dead, Seungkwan.”

 

“What?” displayed a shock on his face. “Are you okay? How about Seungcheol hyung? Was he there?”

 

“It’s my fault.”

 

More shocking to Seungkwan was a smile on Vernon’s face when he uttered those words. “Vernon. You are scaring me.” Then, it was so sudden when Vernon pushed Seungkwan to the wall for a kiss. “I missed you.”

 

“Vernon. Wait.” Pulling himself from Vernon’s grasp. “What are you talking about?”

 

“It doesn’t matter.” As the man continued with the kissing towards the pretty male bride in front of him. “What’s important now is you and me.”

 

“Vernon.” Terrified with how Vernon acted. “Are you-“

 

“Shhh.” The other smiled. “If this will be the last time we’ll see each other, I’d rather savor every moment with you, Seungkwan.”