SUIT & TIE: Change of Heart

SUIT & TIE

 

 

Few days after going back from their 2nd honeymoon, Seungcheol and Jeonghan became very busy. Seungcheol works with the company while Jeonghan with Jun.

 

One night, Jeonghan unexpectedly came knocking by Moon’s residence. Jun just came back from his mission. Still dressed in his field uniform, the all black ensembles with gears for hunting, he was surprised seeing Jeonghan by the door.

“Sorry to disturb you this late night.” smiled Jeonghan faintly.

 

“Please come join us to dinner.” Jun invited.

 

“Sorry but can I invite you out instead?” the other asked.

 

“Sure. Is there something wrong?” seeing that Jeonghan wasn’t feeling well.

 

“I just want a company.” the other explained.

 

Looking at the surrounding, Jun was wondering if he came with Seungkwan. No one seemed to be inside Jeonghan’s car. “You came alone?”

 

“Yup. I drove.” Jeonghan smiled exposing his keys. That’s when Jun suddenly felt nervous.

 

“Are you sure you didn’t hit anybody on the road?” worried the other to whoever might Jeonghan hurt along the road. He knew he wasn’t really good at driving yet.

 

“Nope! I am a safe driver. Shall we?” invited the other confidently.

 

After a while, the two headed on their way to somewhere Jeonghan wished to go. It’s just that, Jun couldn’t find himself relaxed on the passenger’s seat. Once Jeonghan drove, he hit the accelerator so hard, driving the road as if they were racing. Jeonghan was driving crazy like he owns the road. Indeed, both of their lives were at risk.

 

Poor Jun, despite his training and ‘dare-devilness’, he cried in horror. Gripping the hand buckle tight with the other hand clutching on the seat cover. “Jeonghan, I don’t mind driving.”

 

“No. I know you are tired.” With outmost sincerity.

 

“Jesus!”  Jun murmured after a sudden turn into the right without even being cautious. “That was a quick turn!” shouted him while catching his breath. He thought his lungs suddenly failed.

 

“Yeah. I’m getting a hold of this.” Sticking his tongue in confidence.

 

Jun had to stop him before it gets worst. “Where are we going? Did Seungcheol know?”

 

“Why? Will you tell him? He’s got another meeting. Don’t ask anymore. I came to see you.” replied Jeonghan in annoyance.

 

Reading that Jeonghan did not want to talk about it, Jun focused on the driving instead because it felt the priority right now. “And we are driving to…” Jun’s grip was getting tighter as Jeonghan was getting faster.

 

“To my favorite place.”

 

At once, Jeonghan hit the brakes so hard. Jun was there to quickly pull the hand break just to be safe. Jun was totally under trauma right now.

 

“We are here!” Jeonghan excitedly presented a small restau-bar near the ocean. It has been the longest drive for Jun so far. It took time for him to recover. “Let’s grab a good food and drink.” Jeonghan excitedly invited.

 

They grabbed a few beer along with the food. It was noticeable that Jeonghan was gulping the liquor without holding back. He acted differently compared to the composed one. “I cannot help you if you don’t talk.” Jun advised.

 

“I miss you.” Jeonghan responded boldly. His eyes were now fixed to the slender and gentle man beside him.

 

Jun was not prepared for the sudden heart to heart talk, nevertheless, it couldn’t be helped. He smiled as usual but this time there’s worry in his eyes. “You shouldn’t.” Jeonghan felt rejected but then, since Jun felt the freedom that moment with Jeonghan, he added. “I miss you too.” With a smile so tender and warm.

 

Jeonghan was surprised but he admitted that he was pleased.

 

“It’s just that… I am not the person you think I am.”

 

Jeonghan smirked. “You don’t need to hide anymore around me. I’ve seen enough.” recalling how he saw Jun by the ship.

 

“Not all.” Jun became serious.

 

“Why are you so afraid?” asked Jeonghan. “It’s okay. It’s me. Don’t you trust me?”

 

“I do.” Jun answered shortly. “But you shouldn’t put your trust on me.”

 

“I know. I know. You told me that multiple times. Befriending people is not your priority, isn’t it?”

 

Jun nodded.

 

“You know, it’s a relief to know that such a perfect person like you have flaws as well.”

 

“Nobody is perfect, Jeonghan… If a person is too perfect in the eyes of people, that means he’s full of insecurities inside.” answered Jun as Jeonghan listens seeing the similarities between them.

 

“You might be right.” Jeonghan agreed.

 

Jun turned serious that time when he mentioned “Nikita.” then speaking in perfect Russian. Jeonghan was surprised hearing his real name. He was scared at the moment, but with Jun’s nature of job, he must have known somehow. He accepted the situation and tried to calm down. “I know you can understand what I am saying. I think you already knew that your real father is looking for you. I am warning you, this is just the start.”

 

“They hired you to find me?” replied in perfect Russian. Jun didn’t answer. Jeonghan sighed and thought they should be relaxing at this point of time. “I should quit stressing myself right now. I need to breathe. Who knows if I could ever have this kind of luxury again? My time is ticking.” Jeonghan sighed looking at the man beside him. “You’re not gonna kill me now, right?”

 

Jun smiled. He understood Jeonghan wanted peace even if it’s just this little time. Instead, he diverted the conversation to how he knew Jeonghan the first time. He brought up how he was assigned to give the present that day of engagement as a boy. Jeonghan, on the other hand, couldn’t remember the details but he particularly treasured the young man who gave him freedom that very night.

 

“Thank you. You are so kind to help me that night.”

 

Jun smiled. “My pleasure.” after a few moments, Jun added “You are brave, Nikita. I envy you… If you are running out of plans or solutions, you can be reckless. You being unpredictable is what made you the best player in this game. I’ll be here with you.”

 

“How did you find me out?”

 

“It’s easy for me but not for anybody else. Just need some research to confirm.” Jun smiled since he never forget so easily especially if it’s too precious to forget. “Your family might not recognize you immediately but I can.”

 

“I see. I don’t know how to feel right now but I am totally freaked out. I don’t know who my real enemy is.”

 

“All, except Seungcheol and your adopted family, Jeonghan.” hearing that Jun might be a threat, Jeonghan couldn’t help but negotiate. “What can I do for you to side with me?”

 

“You have to offer me something worth the price you are asking.”

 

It seemed that there’s a lot about Jun that Jeonghan didn’t know yet. He was mysterious more than a man covered in a mask. His face was very handsome he could persuade everyone with a charming appeal and lead them somewhere to their end. Jeonghan was nervous at the moment he’s looking at Jun’s firm eyes and seriousness.

 

“I’m scared of you.”

 

“You should be. It disappoints me to see how weak you’ve become, Jeonghan.”

 

Those fiery words took Jeonghan’s breathe away. He couldn’t understand Jun anymore. He’s a mystery and no doors would reveal his true self.

 

“Who are you exactly, Jun?” asked Jeonghan in murmurs.

 

“I don’t know anymore.” answered Jun.

 

“Am I safe with you in this deal?”

 

“Just trust yourself. I know you will be.” Jun reminded. Seeing the other slowly losing his confidence, he added. “Always put your beautiful smile in any situation. Don’t let your enemies see you in defeat or in tears. Let me take care of the rest.” Jun smiled as he cupped the other’s cheeks. “Although, you can borrow my shoulders anytime you want. Free of charge.”

 

Jeonghan smiled feeling relieved.

 “Do you have time?” asked the other.

 

“This is why I am here.”

 

“Then, should I bring you to a more relaxing venue? My treat.” The older giggled.

 

“Make sure it’s one of a kind otherwise I might kill you.”

 

“That got me nervous, though.” The other giggled.

 

Going out like a couple since childhood, they seemed happy and comfortable. They looked perfect for each other. However that night, they were caught by some eyes from a distance.

 

“Is that Choi Jeonghan with the tailor?” asked SeokMin who happened to be inside the bar with his cousin, Jihoon.

 

“I believe so.”

 

“Does Seungcheol know?”

 

“Maybe. He’s a very honest person. Extremely honest.” Jihoon stressed.

 

“You are right. Thought, they look sweeter than of Seungcheol beside the beautiful Choi.”

 

Jihoon chuckled. “Enough of the intrigues.” He said choosing not to mind the two because he owed Jeonghan and his family this time.

 

JUN & JEONGHAN_ MOON’S LITTLE GARDEN

 

Surprisingly, they were back at the Moon’s house. People were already sleeping, but Jun’s fishes on the manmade zen pond were still active. There was a small garden Jun has been nourishing at the back of their house. It was a perfect place to find peace.

 

“Jeonghan. There is an important thing you might want to know.”

 

“Please don’t be so harsh.”

 

“No. it’s not.” Jun smiled. “The first born of the Choi…”

 

Jun got Jeonghan’s attention.

 

“He protected you all this time. He’s a good man.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“While searching for you, Minhyuk appeared on my list. He’s covering your tracks for some reason. Maybe he had an idea of who you really are.”

 

Jeonghan was surprised. He never told Minhyuk anything about it. Except he made him keep a brooch for him. “I didn’t tell him a single word.”

 

“I guess, he had a mark to tell who you are. Have you, perhaps, talk or give or even show him something? I believe I saw the young Minhyuk on the rescue boat that night.”

 

“I asked him to keep something for me.”

 

“The brooch, maybe?” asked Jun. Jeonghan wasn’t sure if he’d reveal it or not, but Jun already knew the answer. “Keep it in a safe place. They want that more than your life.”

 

Suddenly, he thought that it might be the reason why he’s missing or even dead. “Was I the reason of his death?”

 

“Probably not. I know a little about his assassination. Someone told me just recently.” Jun revealed.

 

“Please give me an update. I want to know.”

 

“I won’t. You don’t have time to worry about that. Then,” looking at his clock. “It’s already too late. I should drive you home.”

 

Jeonghan got a little annoyed. “I can drive by myself.”

 

“I am not concerned about you but to the people out there. Please.” Jun teased with a smile.

 

Jeonghan was offended at how friends might offend each other but Jun had a point. Besides, he’s already feeling sleepy.

.

.

.

Seungcheol was still awake upon Jeonghan’s arrival. His eyes were glaring as he spoke “Where have you been?”

 

“To Jun.” stated Jeonghan boldly which Seungcheol became madder.

 

“You dare say that.” threatened the older.

 

“Why bother with my relationships? I support yours.” he said in sarcasm. “I can’t even have a kiss from Jun. Boy, you can really trust him with no touching.” feeling disappointed as he discussed.

 

“I do not like how you speak.”

 

Jeonghan didn’t mind anymore. All he wanted is rest.

 

“You can’t keep seeing him.”

 

“I don’t know, Cheol. I’m quite addicted to him.” said Jeonghan quite annoying the other. “Look Seungcheol, I don’t see the point of having this conversation now. Let’s talk tomorrow, my head is spinning.”

 

Seungcheol wasn’t liking how arrogant Jeonghan behaved. It angred the older more when Jeonghan seemed okay with everything. He had no more argument to spare.

 

“You are so constant to change.” Seungcheol suddenly brought up. “I barely know you.”

 

“So are you.” answered Jeonghan as he went to bed.

 

The next morning, Jeonghan acted on his own. Moreover, he hasn’t talked yet to Seungcheol that very day. That’s the first time that happened. Seungcheol wasn’t sure what to do. Except he knew he began acting reckless and wild again.

 

Seungcheol made the good gesture. He knew it was his fault for acting stupid. He came visit his partner’s office with a soft knock. “You available for lunch?” asked him as gentle as possible. Vernon and Seungkwan thought it was a kind act since they had a hint what might brought Jeonghan into that mood.

 

“You dare to ask, huh?” scoffed Jeonghan.

 

“It was my fault. I know. I’m sorry.” admitted Seungcheol.

 

“Well, I’m sorry. I have a lunch meeting with Minghao today.”

 

“Tell him to move the date.”

 

“No can do.”

 

“Jeonghan, this is important.” begged Seungcheol.

 

“O sure. This is more important. By the way, if you think you are free right now, I thought you have time to see and sign a document.” he called Seungkwan for the documents. The assistant seemed nervous handling those documents because he knew what it was. Seungkwan was the one who brought it from Atty. Lee as per Jeonghan’s order that very morning.

 

“What’s this?” asked Seungcheol.

 

“Divorce paper.” said Jeonghan casually. Vernon who was watching was dumbfounded with the sudden decision. He knew things were taking toll into Jeonghan right now but divorce? Thinking about how Jeonghan had to endure everything, including his partner’s affairs, which might be too much even if they were just married because of a plan. Vernon was always there when Jeonghan get to witness their unfaithfulness. Who knows Jeonghan might have reached his limit as well.

 

Seungcheol was definitely surprised as well. He wasn’t expecting at all. “What?”

 

“I want a divorce.” said Jeonghan in a way it’s just a simple decision to make.

 

“What the hell are you thinking? Are you serious right now?” being pressured on how Jeonghan acted.

 

“I’m clearly doing this in your favor.” replied Jeonghan confidently. “I should go. I’m gonna be late.”

 

It shut Seungcheol upon checking on the papers. The divorce papers were real. It made him think that if Jeonghan decided this fast, was he of nothing to him? Or has he been planning it since the beginning? He knew he wasn’t perfect or even close to being a good man for him, but with all the sudden decision, he felt crumbling. No explanations.

 

He let Jeonghan pass through him. He felt ashamed and hurt from Jeonghan’s actions. He’s being too much. He knew that. He thought Jeonghan might have the right to react like that because of the ugly things he’s showed him. Seungcheol knew Jeonghan suffered from too much violence and he hadn’t have the chance to prove that he’s safe with him but…Divorce? That’s not in his options yet Jeonghan was suggesting it. Somehow, Jeonghan felt different.

 

6 DAYS BEFORE THE SHOW_

 

Jeonghan moved normally around people except from Seungcheol, Vernon and Seungkwan. Everything was getting harder for the four of them. There were still questions that needed to be answered. However, they had no time to stop and think of their issue right now because bigger events were taking place so fast.

 

In a small span of time, Jeonghan closed a deal with Minghao. On the other hand, Seungcheol got Jackson Wang for a good deal.

 

The divorce paper was sitting still, being piled up on Seungcheol’s desk, not wanting to be looked at. It was the biggest problem Seungcheol thought he needed to solve before it’s too late. He didn’t know how much damage he had put Jeonghan throughout their relationship but he was sure it was that bad.

 

NA YOUNG & DK_ SOON YOUNG_ MINGYU& JEONGHAN

 

DK was enjoying the company of his mother. Although not as a parent but a mentor. They were seen together at work and during lunch. Sometimes, DK would visit Na Young on her house for dinner. Jihoon knew about it but let DK do whatever he wanted since he couldn’t be stopped anyway. Besides, if it was making him get what he want, then be it. Jihoon had no idea or ever doubted the judge and his cousin’s true relationship because DK got a lot of valid excuses.

 

Soon Young was acting as if he was participating in what Seungcheol called a little play with Jihoon while solving the mystery in the notebook his father gave him. This way, he could be safe for a while. Also, he could ask lots of favor in Jihoon’s power. One thing he did though was he kept the evidences leading to Jihoon for a while in a safe place, just in case he needed it. For now, Jihoon’s name was clean. Reason for him to prepare for the upcoming elections.

 

Mingyu was convinced not to run for Senatorial position as per Jeonghan’s request in exchange for a few things Jeonghan offered. Of course, he knew the reason why. It was a hard decision to make but listening to what Jeonghan had planned, Mingyu might want to see where it goes. Eunwoo, on the other hand, was impressed on how Jeonghan convinced his husband to give way for Jihoon. Although he had no idea what favor did Mingyu asked in exchange of his support for Jihoon instead.

 

JUN & ABBOT_ LANCELOT BOUTIQUE

 

Jun was in the basement of their shop. Full of yards and rolls of fabric. However, the young tailor wasn’t there to plan his next silhouetted but for the master plan. Abbot, his brother, was worried about him. He’s getting reckless and abrupt. He didn’t anymore stick with the plan. Abbot couldn’t tell it Jun was engulfed by greed with his revenge.  

 

Seeing Jun prepare for hunting again, Abbot was becoming uneasy. “Are you sure about this?

“She’s given us with no other choice, brother.” replied Jun who felt like being hurried.

 

COURT OF JUSTICE_SEOUL

AFTERNOON…

 

Yoon Na Young, the judge had just finished a case with her son. They were out for lunch. SeokMin excitedly strides towards his mother to walk beside her. However, while walking down the long staircase, a gunshot was heard. It brought the whole plaza into terror. After a while more shots were heard from different directions. As a result, people had gone screaming in panic, running and bumping against each other.

 

Unfortunately, SeokMin witnessed his mother laid on the floor, lifeless, lying on her own blood. The poor man felt his whole world crumble. He reached his mother as soon as possible but it was too late. The old lady was shot straight to her heart resulting to an immediate death.

 

 “No.” whispering as he gasp on his mother’s pale face. “Mom. Hold on… Please.” slowly the pain was sinking in.

 

SeokMin shouted for help countlessly. “Please! Call some help!”  still hoping that his mother would be saved. Clutching his mother’s lifeless body tight into his arms, anger grew more in his heart.

 

The news had spread so fast. Jeonghan and Soon Young were in complete shock. It was terrible. At this point of time, that was the worst thing that may happen to the siblings. Unfortunately, they had no idea how to tell their father what happened.

 

Seungcheol wanted to help but Jeonghan didn’t allow. The tension was obvious with the couple, Soon Young and anyone who knew them could feel it.

 

“What’s wrong with you two?” asked Soon Young. However, Jeonghan didn’t give an answer. Instead he asked his brother to concentrate firs to the memorial of their mother.

 

“This is the second time I’ve lost, Soon Young.” Jeonghan reminded the younger. Soon Young understood well. They both went to their friends and relatives who sends their condolences to the late judge diligently.

 

Meanwhile, Jeonghan was the one to talk to SeokMin. “Thank you for being there for her, DK.”

 

“I can’t even do anything, Jeonghan.”

 

Jeonghan embraced the older and said “She told me you two had a great time together. Your smile calms her so much.” Crying sadly making the other cry as well. “I couldn’t make her smile like that so I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Please don’t make yourself dive into guilt. It was never your fault, SeokMin.”

 

Besides the diversity in the crowd with unexpectedly Governor Lee Jihoon’s presence, people even enemies could surprisingly meet in such place. Mingyu and EunWoo paid their visit as well.

 

“I am sorry to hear this, my friend.” Said EunWoo.

 

“She didn’t deserve this.” Pondered Mingyu. “She was a great lawyer yet people didn’t know who to owe.” Mingyu talked with familiarity towards Judge Yoon’s works of great service in the country.

 

“You knew her?” Asked Jeonghan.

 

“Yes. Not well but my father counted on her so much. She’s helped me with many cases too. She was a good person.”

 

It made Jeonghan smile and said “Thank you. She was. Even though she’s busy, she’s making sure she can be a mom too.”

 

Mingyu smiled and said “I envy you.” Remembering his parents could hardly had time with him during his childhood.

 

Jun with his brother arrived. They expressed their heartfelt condolences to the family. Jeonghan thanked them for coming but it wasn’t their main purpose. When Jun got the chance to talk to Jeonghan, he immediately asked “This keeps coming.”

 

“I-I’m not ready for this.” with obviously pained expression, Jeonghan couldn’t hold his tears, secretly asking for help from Jun.

 

“I cannot guarantee the life of all around you but a few.” Jun stated the reality. Jeonghan couldn’t do anything but try to accept.

 

“Rest.” suggested Jun. “I’ll be here if you want to.”

 

Jeonghan nodded. On the other side, Seungcheol felt extreme jealousy as he watched the two by the corner. They were just there, acting normal, yet he felt defeated somehow. Was there any way to defeat a rival that’s ahead of him?