SUIT & TIE 010: ON DUTY

SUIT & TIE

SUIT & TIE: ON DUTY

 

Jeonghan was going back to their cabin, happy and relieved. His moment with the tailor was a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it saved him. Good thing he didn’t confess that he’s his first love otherwise it could appear weird to the other person, especially when he was already loving someone else. On his way, he came across the Ivanovs of Russia. They sure were big shots being the most feared Mafia in the whole world. Jeonghan wasn’t so sure how to feel with those people when he encounters them. They looked intimidating and it gets Jeonghan really scared just to meet them abruptly, in the aisle walking altogether in a normal gesture. Nevertheless, since the meeting was unavoidable, Jeonghan smiled and greeted them.

 

“Good evening! Hope you are having a nice stay!”

 

“Vice President Choi!” the oldest greeted, Gavril Ivanov, with cigars on his lips. Tall and have a good built given his old age with two adult children, Kai and Vera. “It’s already late, why are you out here?”

 

“Taking a little walk and enjoying the sea breeze.” He smiled sweetly.

 

“I see.”

 

“Do you have any needs that I can accommodate?”

 

“No need, my dear. We are just heading back to our rooms. Casinos are great here, ain’t them? I love it here!”

 

Jeonghan giggled. “Thank god. Otherwise, I’ll hear a lecture with my father-in-law.”

 

“By the way, where is SeungWon? Haven’t seen him in here since the beginning.”

 

“He’s with his wife on their anniversary. They deserve a getaway.”

 

“Sweet child. Are you close to them?”

 

“Very much. Just like my parents. Oh well, my family goes with Seungcheol most of the time. I guess a switch?” He joked.

 

The old man laughed. “You are interesting, kid. You say, you serve with the Chois before, am I right?”

 

“That’s true. I used to be a host here.”

 

“A Cinderella story.” Interrupted Kai.

 

“It sure does.” Said the beautiful Vera giggling like a child as if hearing a good fairytale.

 

“You must have some magic, Vice President Choi.” Said Kai. “That man never kneels down to anybody.”

 

“That’s what they told me. But, I guess not gonna work with me.” Said him jokingly.

 

“I love your spirit, kid. I’m sure everything is working well with the both of you.”

 

“Very much. I love his company.” Answered Jeonghan wisely. “I should be getting back, Mr. Ivanov. Have a good evening to all of you.”

 

“Sure. Good night.”

.

.

.

Making into their room with a sign of relief from the tense he experienced upon meeting the Ivanovs, Jeonghan became surprised when he saw no one inside knowing he left Seungcheol alone in bed. He searched in the bathroom like how he missed him last time, however, he’s nowhere to be found. He thought that maybe he went out to look for him. Unfortunately, he fell quickly asleep due to exhaustion from his previous activities.

 

On the other hand, Seungcheol had Vernon searched for Jeonghan. As soon as he the other spotted his favorite boss, he immediately reported. Meanwhile, Seungcheol attended a meeting right in the middle of the night with the other business men ruling the underworld.

 

“You are late.” Said Minghao.

 

“I fell asleep. Besides, my wife cannot know this.” Answered Seungcheol.

 

“He didn’t know, does he?” said the American partner.

 

“I won’t let him get involved in these kind of things.”

 

EunWoo chuckled. “I really admire Jeonghan’s discipline with you, sweetheart.”

 

Seungcheol smirked as he sat down to his throne to complete the union.

 

“Any leads?” asked Jihoon about what happened from their previous transactions. To add to that, the murder of both his father and his distant relative was also related.

 

“With your relatives, I got it covered. I made sure the evidence they have to point us out was cleaned thoroughly.” Said Seungcheol clearly.

 

“I am impressed. Thanks, my friend!” Smirked Jihoon.

 

“Better clean your , Hoon-ah. Not good when you have a little under your pants.” Said one partner.

 

“Noted that. My apologies.”

 

“I think, they hit on somebody so hard.” Said Seungcheol based on the operations.

 

“Maybe? No reason to kill the weak unless they pissed someone off. Or they’re just a bunch of idiots playing around like a fool.” Frowned Jihoon.

 

“Have you traced the transactions in the other places?” said Seungcheol. “This might be a bigger operation. I have my man inside the police. He’s reliable. He can clean mess.” Looking at Jihoon and added “He told me that they weren’t the ones moving but the CIA.”

 

“It’s discreet. They are getting smarter.” Grunted Minghao.

 

“Then, why here?” asked Seungcheol with full of seriousness. “They must have find a lead.”

 

“Must have traced your delivery.” Said Minghao to the other supplier. “Never risk mine. Got it covered.”

 

“My records are clean.” Defended the other. And after a while a quarrel had begun. It was a loud meeting- the loudest meeting so far. People were blaming one another.

 

Meanwhile EunWoo, the calmest among their group despite the riot, stopped all the speculations as he spoke. “Stop! We cannot solve this when you are throwing doubts at each other. Let’s think it carefully. Let’s trace it before firing each other blames. I have the biggest money invested in your products here.”

 

“I agree. You are using my ship, I tell you.” Said Seungcheol.

 

Later on, one might have an opinion and idea to share. Russia was one of the biggest traders of illegal drugs and armory around the world. Not to mention the trafficking of children and women. One Russian group thought about their previous wars with the other families. They have competition, so to speak. They always have and it’s always tight. Russians are no joke when it comes to family feuds. They’re wild.  Ivanovs were not exempted to that.

“Maybe a competitor in Russia bet on us. There’s a turmoil on my land right now. There are four families involved in there. Or perhaps, someone was tipping us off inside the family. Let me check on that. But I doubt it was on our side. It’s in Korea. No idea why but a delivery must have traced from here.” Looking at the young Xu, Kai Ivanov continued. “I never exempt China on this, Minghao. Your men looks suspicious to me sometimes.”

 

“I’ll take care of my men.” Minghao answered as everyone agreed to re-examine each other’s family. For now, the union decided to stop temporarily with their transactions until the coast was cleared.

.

.

.

 

CHOI SHIPPING OFFICE_ A DAY AFTER THE OPEN HOUSE EVENT

 

Things had gone great than expected during their event. They maintained their regular investors and now earned a bunch of new ones. Seungcheol sure was very impressed and proud of his beautiful and witty spouse.

 

“You did great, Jeonghan. Tell me what you want, I’ll give it to you.” Said him inside Jeonghan’s office.

 

“Cheol, I think I need a break. My head is throbbing. Probably its fatigue.”

 

“Sure. Let’s go.”

 

“You’ll drive me?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Where is Vernon?”

 

“Meeting someone. And for the meantime, I will let you have Vernon while I train a possible driver and assistant for you.”

 

“Thank goodness.”

 

“But you should know how to drive as well.”

 

“Sure.”

.

.

.

Meanwhile, Vernon met Seungkwan from near his house. The boy came and meet him inside a restaurant like that of a friend just as instructed. But on that time, Seungkwan looked troubled.

 

“What happened? Why are you all pale?”

 

Seungkwan gave out papers from out of his pocket with trembling hands. “I’m not sure why I am doing this, but I think you might use this.”

 

Seeing the paper, Vernon was surprised after figuring out a pattern of connection with the codes. “You are risking yourself for this!”

 

“I want my brother, Vernon. If that means I’ll risk my life on it, I will.” Said Seungkwan desperately.

 

“Follow my orders and don’t just stick your nose around just like that, is that clear?” scolded Vernon.

 

“Please. I can’t wait anymore. I don’t know where my brother is.” Seungkwan’s tears welled into his desperate eyes as he pleaded.

 

“We’ll see what we can do.”

 

“Please. I need him. He’s all I have now. They killed my mother.” Said Seungkwan while crying.

 

“They killed them? Why? Are they after you as well?”

 

“They don’t need me. I worked there long time ago but my mom had a deal with them just to get me out there. She bet herself alone just to get me out there.” Pausing with his pained expression. “She didn’t know that I… I was still forced to work for them in another way. I managed to run not knowing that it will cost me my family. My mom died because of the abuse and took my brother as a payment for our mortgage.”

 

“Here. Don’t cry.” Reaching a handkerchief to comfort the other. “You must be hungry. Eat first and we can talk at home. I think you better move closer to me.”

 

“I will have a better access there.” Referring to their old place.

 

“It will not be your job anymore. President Choi wanted to meet you.”

 

“Choi Minhyuk?” knowing him from the port for some circumstances.

 

“You know Minhyuk hyung?”

 

“He helped me ones by renting our house for his stay last time. He’s a good man.”

 

“I see. When was it?”

 

“About two years ago. But then, he disappeared.”

 

Vernon sighed hoping that Minhyuk was just playing around. It’s okay to pretend dead while living his dream life somewhere, he just wanted to know that he’s alive and well. Even if it means that he won’t see him for eternity, it’s much better than knowing he’s dead.

 

Hearing Minhyuk’s name again made Vernon miss the man whom he considered a brother.

 

“I see.”

 

“If it’s him I-“

 

“He’s dead.” Vernon suddenly announced.

 

Seungkwan was surprised knowing the truth. “What?” wearing a shocked expression. “No. It can’t be.”

 

“You should eat first. We will go after you eat.” Looking how Seungkwan’s appearance was, he didn’t think Seungcheol would like to meet such person in his office, dressed like an ordinary man looking lost and innocent. “We should change your clothes first before meeting the President.”

 

“Who is it then?” asked Seungkwan fearing that it might be the old Choi. Recalling the rumored image of the old man, he trembled knowing that the man could be a very despicable person. Not that he’s related to them in anyway, but the land beside their area was bought by him and he just shooed away the people living there without giving them a good chance to fight for their own lands.

 

“It’s Choi Seungcheol, his younger brother.”

 

Seungkwan thought that he was like his older brother, but he was definitely wrong about that.

 

They went home in Vernon’s apartment. Nothing like a commoner one. It was highly luxurious for a poor young man’s view. The interior was dressed in minimal furniture. Not just normal ones but those that were of expensive kinds. The mysterious and stoic cold handsome man had only one large bed, like that of probably a king sized bed; a nice living room; a very clean and organized kitchen near the dining and a royal bathroom from a peak.

 

Vernon sure wasn’t an ordinary person from a man labeled as a secretary. He’s something else, like he’s one of them.

 

“I don’t want you to touch anything, especially my computer, papers and books. Not my cabinet and not anything that has my things on it. I’ll give you a space for you things.”

 

“I will be living here?”

 

“For the meantime. After you fix your things, let’s go to some shop and buy you some good suit. Boss doesn’t want a lame looking person beside him. Just to note.”

 

Oh dear! Seungkwan wasn’t having a very good feeling on the hint.

.

.

.

Vernon and Seungkwan headed to the Choi’s favorite shop- Lancelot-as planned.

 

“Good day, Mr. Moon.” Greeted Vernon politely.

 

As sweet as the tailor usually greet and receive every customer who go to their shop, Seungkwan felt honored being welcomed by a gorgeous man “Please, call me Jun.” looking beside Vernon, Jun noticed and asked courteously “And this gorgeous man is?”

 

“I-I am… My name is Seungkwan.” Said Seungkwan nervously.

 

“Hi. Have a seat. I’ll get you some refreshments. Tea or coffee?” asked the tailor which made Seungkwan blush with his handsome and princely looks.

 

“Tea for the both of us, thank you.” Said Vernon who was very accustomed to their usual habit.

 

“Sure.”

 

After serving the tea, Jun asked “What can I do for you?”

 

“Seungkwan here is going to meet the Chois. Hopefully he’ll work with us soon. He will be assigned as Jeonghan’s assistant but he will go through Boss’ first.”

 

Jun looked at the innocent looking boy and said worriedly “Are you sure about that?” at Vernon.

 

“Let’s see. He should be fine.” Looking at the other from head to toe having second thoughts for a second. Vernon sure then remembered that his masters were quite the hot and cold couple he might not like to work with. Hope he would survive both of them.

 

With those conversation, Seungkwan became more anxious in meeting the big boss of the Choi shipping- the current king. From how they talked about him, he seemed like a heartless person.

 

“I need a good pair of suit for him. And… I need some too” smiled Vernon. “Vice President Choi wouldn’t like a stiff and very formal guy beside him.” he chuckled.

 

“Yeah. That’s what I am worried about. Jeonghan.” He chuckled. “Don’t worry, it’s going to be fine.” Said Jun.

 

“No. I might have difficulties. I never worn a little casual suit before. I guess I am more comfortable with these.” Looking at his regular black and intimidating suit.

 

Later on, Jeonghan called Vernon’s enormous mobile phone. The first version of the hand phone only the rich ones could obtain. Vernon stretched the antenna of his phone and went out just to answer the call with sufficient connection.

 

“Yes. Good evening!” said him with stern voice.

 

“Vernonie~ darling?” it was obviously that it was the voice of his favorite boss, Jeonghan.

 

“Yes, hyung?”

 

“You are mine tomorrow right?”

 

“Yes. I believe so.”

 

“Is there a new assistant for me? Is he good and smart and funny?”

 

“I- I don’t know yet.”

 

“Don’t be jealous, honey. I still love you. And you should get a more comfortable suit, dear. I don’t want you to follow me around like a heartless bodyguard.”

 

“Do I look like that?”

 

“For ordinary people, Vernonie.” Jeonghan giggled. “I know you are the sweetest person, but your clothing… I am not comfortable with it, so please have something more comfortable. Go to Jun. Buy some. I will pay for that.” Said Jeonghan excitedly.

 

“Actually, I am at Lancelot right now with the new employee.”

 

“Great. I’ll call Jun right away. Or can you please give him the phone?”

 

“Okay. But don’t instruct him with weird ideas, please hyung.” Vernon pleaded.

 

“You don’t have to worry. Give it to him. Faster!”

 

Vernon handed it to Jun. “Good evening, Jeonghan.”

 

“Good evening! Please make Vernon dazzlingly handsome, lovely. Please make him a hippie one.” Jeonghan giggled.

 

Jun was surprised on how excited Jeonghan was with his temporary assistant. “Sure. You sound excited.” He giggled sweetly.

 

“I am. Please make Vernon more handsome.”

 

“Sure thing.”

 

“I trust you.”

 

“You sure he won’t point a gun on me with your request?” he joked.

 

“Nah. He’s a sweet sweet wolf.”

 

Jun gave an awkward giggle. “That doesn’t sound a little better, Jeonghan.”

 

“Trust me. Good night sweetie. Have to rest. I’m pretty tired. You should too after they got their clothing, alright.”

 

“Sure. Good night.”

 

“And see you tomorrow.”

 

“I see.”

 

“I might get another pair of clothing. My clothes had gone a little weird for the past few days. Anyway, let’s talk tomorrow. If not, maybe the other day. See you!”

 

Back to Vernon and Seungkwan, Jun said that they need a temporary clothing for now as per their boss’ instructions. They’d be given few sets first before they could get the tailored ones perfect for their body size and features.

 

After getting their stuffs, Vernon and Seungkwan headed home. Both were looking uncomfortable not just with the ensemble they’d wear tomorrow but with the scene inside the house together. Vernon was doing fine, yet he wasn’t that used to someone inside his home since he was living by himself ever since he became independent. A companion would make him very awkward and worse, it would make the other more awkward to the point of anxiety.

 

“You sleep on my bed.” Said Vernon to the other.

 

“No. I’m fine with sleeping on the couch.”

 

“You need rest. Tomorrow will be a very tough day for you. Just a little reminder, Choi Seungcheol is a strict boss. He doesn’t want people ruining things. You should be clever and resourceful. And most important thing is, you need to do it real quick and clean.”

 

“I see. That’s big.”

 

“You say, you study at the army?”

 

“Just for the meantime. I was saving for my college and joining the army is a good way to study while working. Moreover, it’s free for someone like me.”

 

“And? What happened?”

 

“I quit after I finally got a chance to enter college with scholarship. But then, again, I needed to stop because…” Feeling shy. “I ran away.”

 

“What did you take on college?”

 

“Medicine.”

 

“Don’t worry, if you are doing great with your job, I’m sure you’d get a chance to continue your studies. You can even ask for it… but you don’t have to when it’s Jeonghan hyung. He’s a kind and very naughty boss. Quite a trickster but he’s very smart.”

 

“I see.” Seungkwan smiled.

 

“You will be assigned to him after your training with the boss, so do your best.”

 

“Alright. Thank you.”

.

.

.

 

Morning came, Seungkwan wore a suit while the other was still on a suit. It’s just that, it’s gotten a bit casual with fancy colors on his clothing. No black at all.

 

“This feels weird.” Said Vernon looking to himself at the mirror.

 

Same goes to the person who’s fitting his limbs in a stiff fabric on his body. Nevertheless, he needed the job and the assistance, so better off to impress them.

 

Vernon drove the car. While the other was reviewing his bio data carefully.

 

“Keep it cool, Seungkwan. Seungcheol hyung needs to feel the bravery in you. You know the business, you should be braver than expected.”

 

“I will try.”

 

“We’ll first, head to the Choi’s house, so you know where to fetch them. Remember this. For now, come with us.”

 

Arriving to the Choi’s house, Seungkwan was surprised on how small it was compared to the other tycoons. “This is it?” asked Seungkwan curiously but not to offend.

 

“Yes. Vice President Choi wants it to be like this.”

 

“I see.”

 

“By the way, call Seungcheol hyung, Boss or President Choi. His partner will be called Vice President Choi- outside, but it depends if he’d let you call him by his name. It’s what he normally does.”

 

They need not knock on the door when Jeonghan himself opened the door for them after hearing a car stopping near their house. It was sure Vernon, anyway.

 

“Good morning!” greeted Jeonghan to Vernon and to the guest. “Come in. Breakfast is ready.”

 

Looking at Vernon’s handsomeness, seeing the man in another perspective with his more comfortable appearance, Jeonghan’s eyes sparked. “Look at you! You look so great, Vernon! It suits you.”

 

Meanwhile, Vernon sighed as he introduced the new employee behind him. “By the way, he’s Seungkwan.”

 

Jeonghan looked at the boy and smiled. “Nice to meet you. Come, let’s eat. Don’t be shy.”

 

They ate in one table. Seungcheol was seen sulky because he had nothing to say with who Jeonghan wanted to eat with. Seungcheol looked scary and Seungkwan was not getting any comfort in joining them in the table for breakfast.

 

“I-I think, it’s better for me to eat somewhere else.” Said Seungkwan nervously.

 

“You must be feeling awkward, Seungkwan. I’m sorry. My partner is just usually sulky in the morning. Don’t mind him. Or maybe, have your breakfast at the lawn. That’s more relaxing.” Jeonghan smiled gently.

 

Vernon joined him outside when Seungkwan brought up how he found the couple very opposite. Also their charm was contrasting but would made a good pair. He also told Vernon that Jeonghan was a very gorgeous man. Even he was prettier than other women. Vernon, on the other hand, simply agreed.

 

“Better protect Vice President Choi, Seungkwan.”

 

“Yes. I will.”

.

.

.

 

In the office, Jeonghan with Vernon went separate ways from Seungcheol and his new assistant, Seungkwan. Both entered their own office and start working as usual.

 

Vernon couldn’t keep his more relaxed and smiling face since morning. He felt like he was on a vacation. Not really, he’s still working but with ease. Besides, Jeonghan was full of ideas. Not just the good ones, but also the naughty ones. It was such a different environment. Jeonghan was doing more on the roving than Seungcheol does. Seungcheol usually goes out because of the meetings while Jeonghan was in charge of the marketing. That’s the reason why he’s in charge of every ship they have. He’s the one taking care of their ship’s maintenance and cleanliness, as well as the marketing, services, and staffs. Seungcheol was the one to approve everything. He’s talking more to the clients, closing deals and offering something new. Moreover, he’s the one protecting the company from any harm. Also, he considered himself lucky with Jeonghan pitching in new ideas that was definitely fresh in the market.

 

On the other hand, Seungkwan was under interview with Seungcheol’s sharp gazes. Seeing the boy’s resume’, he questioned if it was true due to his body structure. He didn’t seem strong at all.

 

“You know Lee’s underground, am I right?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“That’s better.” Still gazing on how feeble Seungkwan would look.

 

“You may continue your study when off duty. It interests me. My wife would need someone from medical background. He’s a filaudite, more complications might happen and I believe you are too, so you know the case as well. Aside from that, I need you to learn how to hold guns. Vernon will train you.”

 

“Yes sir! I will do my best.”

 

“I know you knew it already since you studied in the army, but I need it to be as polished as possible. This hiring doesn’t mean I am confident with you, Mr. Seungkwan.”

 

“I understand that, sir.”

 

“Gaining my trust is not easy. Sometimes, it might take you to your grave. Hear me?”

 

Seungkwan gulped and became extremely anxious. “Ye-yes sir.”

 

“Letting my wife vulnerable from any attacks, even if it its just a scratch, a bullet will pass through your head. Are we clear?”

 

“Yes, sir!”

 

“Have a seat.” Offered Seungcheol.

 

“You can’t tell my wife about the dirty business we have on hand. I know he will be suspicious at times, but try to lead him far.”

 

“Noted, sir.”

 

“I believe, you need something from us? I got the documents you sent to Vernon that put your life at risk. What is it you want?”

 

“I-is it alright to tell you?”

 

“Of course. This is business. I keep my colleagues loyal to me, no matter what. You are a very dangerous bunny on the loose, Seungkwan. I heard from Vernon that you have the intentions to kill Senator Lee and his son when he met you.”

 

“Th-that’s because I am desperate, sir. His family got all what I have. I want to avenge them.”

 

“One job done for you. The old Lee was dead.”

 

“I heard that.” Said Seungkwan lowering his head because he couldn’t show how relief he was.

 

Seungcheol knew what the man could possibly feel. It’s one down for all of them. However thinking about this young man in front of him who could be dangerous to their family as well, he couldn’t help but to put his trust on him since they have the same goal. He just need to be careful and also do his part to make Seungkwan loyal to his family.

 

“What’s your reason?” Seungcheol smirked coldly.

 

“M-my… it’s my brother, sir. My younger brother. He got them for an absurd reason. He’s my only family now and I want him back.”

 

“Lees’ are pretty harsh, you see. Clashing with them is extremely hard. They are like the Russians. They’ve got it all. I admire your bravery but I should say it’s too reckless.”

 

“I am aware of that, sir. Vernon made me realize.”

 

“You will be with me. Get familiarized with things inside here and underground. I need you to act like you don’t know anybody except me and my wife. Once I am satisfied with your service, I’ll get you ready to handle my wife.”

 

“I understand, sir.”

 

“How can I get your loyalty, Seungkwan?”

 

“I want my brother, sir.”

 

“We will do our best. Give Vernon any information he could use to find your brother.” He sighed. “And what if he’s dead?”

 

Seungkwan became stiffen.

 

“Then, I have to kill Lee Jihoon by my own hands.” Showing rage with that kind of information.

 

Seungcheol smirked and said “You are a dangerous man, Seungkwan. I like you. But that’s not going to be easy. Stay put and we’ll do things for you. Don’t act stupid. I’m sure Vernon had told you that before you come to see me.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Let’s get to work.” Seungcheol gave Seungkwan loads of errands to do. Since he’s a filaudite, he expected another job well done. Before Seungkwan left the room, Seungcheol added “Seungkwan, I expect so much with you. Don’t waste Vernon’s recommendation. I am not as friendly as you think. Business is business.”

 

“I will take note of that, President Choi.”

 

He smiled and said “One more thing. Just a little note to remember. My wife is worse than me. If you pass by me, you can serve him.”

 

Seungkwan became confused. He said he’s not involved. How come he described Jeonghan- his wife- the most dangerous one among them? It doesn’t fit well. Maybe he’s talking about some things, he just needed to figure out on his own. For now, he should pass Seungcheol’s challenge.