fin

Dim Sunshine and Overcast Days

Something was off with Yewon.

 

The usual crinkle whenever she smiles didn’t reach her eyes. The usual bright aura she emanates had become dimmer. A decrease in the positivity she transferred to her other members. To the untrained eye, she might have looked and behaved normally. To Sungyeon however, her fellow member’s demeanor was disconcerting. At first, the chubby-cheeked girl didn’t think much about it. Maybe her fellow same-aged friend was fatigued. Understandable since they have already debuted (they still couldn’t believe it), and the hectic schedules kept piling up faster than they could say ‘Wee Woo’. Plus, she had to balance work with school. And yet somehow, an inkling at the back of Sungyeon’s mind couldn’t take that as the reason why she was behaving differently.

 

Sungyeon sat cross-legged against one of the mirrored walls in the choreography room. All ten members were currently having a break after yet another one of their gruelling dance practice sessions. Their choreography teacher might have been going through a bad day as she was way more strict than usual; berating them over being a second too slow or if someone didn’t manage to pull off a move perfectly.

 

From where she was, Sungyeon could see Kyungwon following their teacher out of the room, sunken. She could only send her unnie a silent prayer to stay strong. Kyulkyung and Yaebin were trying to keep everyone’s spirits up, despite feeling the weight of this stressful day. Eunwoo laid motionless on the floor. Siyeon and Kyla were playing a game to keep their minds off the criticisms they faced earlier. Nayoung and Minkyung were off at one corner, discussing in hushed tones with each other while keeping a concerned eye over the group.

 

Only Yewon was nowhere to be seen.

 

“I’m heading to the restroom,” Sungyeon said to no one in particular as she quietly left the room.

 

Walking through the halls of their company’s building could be a bit like wandering through a maze sometimes. Sungyeon heaved a sigh of relief once she got to the nearest restroom. Pushing the door slowly, she peeked in and sure enough, there was Yewon. Standing in front of the sinks with her hands gripping on the counter. Her head casted gloomingly downwards.

 

“Yewon?”

 

The other girl yelped and almost jumped out of her skin. She composed herself after turning around to see the face of her fellow member. “Geez, don’t scare me like that,” she said with a hand on her chest to calm her nerves.

 

“Sorry, didn’t think today’s practice session could get you on edge too,” Sungyeon moved next to Yewon, leaning her back against the sink counter. “You alright?”

 

“I’m fine,” she smiled. There it was again. The smile that didn’t reach her eyes. Sungyeon almost wanted to crack a joke, but decided that now wasn’t a good time. All she wanted were answers.

 

“You know, things have been getting pretty stressful nowadays,” Sungyeon started fiddling with her hands. “If there’s anything you wanna let out of your chest, I’m all ears. I mean, we’re friends right?”

 

Sungyeon saw a glimmer of realisation and enlightenment in her eyes, but it then turned into a frown. “Not best friends?”

 

The younger one out of the two almost smacked herself at her blunder. Yewon was super sensitive when it came to these terms of endearment. “Best friends!” Sungyeon quickly corrected herself.

 

So much for being a best friend…

 

Yewon remained silent.

 

Sungyeon turned around and closed the distance between them, cautiously placing an arm around the other’s shoulders. “You’re not like your usual self since last week,” she whispered softly into her ear. “Your smile is not as radiant anymore. You stray away from us, almost as if you want to avoid the people you’re close with.” At this moment, Sungyeon could feel a tenseness. “Where’s the positive girl I met and love to be around?”

 

Through the mirror before her, she could see a few tears starting to drip their way down Yewon’s face. “So you’ve noticed…” the normally jovial girl depressingly muttered. “I’m actually glad it was you, Baesoongie.”

 

The composer of the group tilted her head, puzzled. “And why’s that?”

 

“Because it would have been sad if my own best friend couldn’t see that I was hurting,” Yewon turned her head towards Sungyeon,a genuinely touched smile gracing her complexion. Tear-brimmed eyes gazing into Sungyeon’s own worried ones.

 

Sungyeon has had enough. She couldn’t stand seeing her dear member like this. “I think you need one of these,” she said before she welcomingly pull Yewon into a tight but gentle hug.

 

Safe. Protected. Comforting.

 

She could feel Yewon melting into the warm embrace, as if whatever problems she was facing could all be solved by just staying here and letting herself be held by Sungyeon. The initiator of the hug began to rub her hands soothingly up and down Yewon’s back. A nuzzle by the crook of Sungyeon’s neck as a form of gratitude for the much-needed gesture. They couldn’t stay like this forever though. Break time was almost over.

 

They reluctantly pulled away though the pair still held on to each other; afraid that if they let go, the other would just disappear.

 

“Talk later when we get back to the dorm?” Sungyeon asked, gazing at her friend with concerned eyes.

 

“Sure.”

 

After a moment of freshening up and helping Yewon look presentable again, Sungyeon led her out of the restroom. The walk back to the choreography room was quiet. Everything that needed to be said could wait until they get back home. They managed to get back to practice in time, relieved that they wouldn’t have to face the wrath of their none too happy teacher for tardiness.

 

-

 

It was just past 2am when everyone finally returned to the dorm exhausted, both physically and mentally. Their leader opened up the front door and everyone fumbled in, removing their footwear and placing them haphazardly on the shoe racks.

 

“Get some rest, girls,” Nayoung tiredly announced as she observed her members. “It will be a long day later and we need to be up at 5am.”

 

A series of ‘yes’, ‘yeah’, and ‘alright’ responded to her in union. Nayoung gave a small smile to them. Even on the verge of sleep, they could still be synchronized. All of the members went back to their assigned rooms, looking like the lost dead. Sungyeon glanced at Yewon who also happened to look back at her too.

 

“Text me,” she mouthed at Yewon discreetly. The other girl complied with a nod.

 

Their rooms were on opposite sides of the dorm. Sungyeon happened to share one with Kyulkyung, while Yewon shared with Nayoung, Eunwoo, and Yaebin. The composer entered with Kyulkyung in tow, the Chinese member almost dozing off over Sungyeon.

 

“Sungyeon, I want your cheeks to be my pillow.” Kyulkyung sleepily reached over from behind in an attempt to squish them. Sungyeon dodged the surprise attack, much to the other girl’s chagrin. Frequent attempts from her unnies at her cheeks had made her reflexes quicker. She still didn’t understand the fascination regarding her plump cheeks. They were just cheeks, for god’s sake.

 

“Go to sleep and leave my cheeks alone, unnie,” she released an exasperated sigh as she went towards her own single bed. She spent a few minutes putting her belongings down and changing into a T-shirt and a pair of comfy sleeping pants when the text finally chimed in.

 

‘Meet me in the bathroom’

 

Even her text was devoid of any emojis or extensive use of exclamation marks. She really hoped that whatever Yewon was going through wasn’t as bad as it seemed to be. Sungyeon missed the bubbly positivity already.

 

‘Ok, I’ll be there’ she quickly typed out.

 

When she looked behind her, her roommate was already knocked out on her bed, still in the clothes she wore during practice. Sungyeon gave an amused smile at the sight. There was already a trail of drool dripping down from the side of Kyulkyung’s mouth. Before she headed out, Sungyeon pulled the blanket from underneath Kyulkyung and placed it on her. Wouldn’t want her to catch a cold when promotions were still going on.

 

The hallway of the dorm was dark except for the lone light coming from the kitchen. Must be Kyungwon scavenging for food again, she made a logical guess. The bathroom’s door was closed, meaning someone was already inside. Sungyeon went up to it and knocked a couple of times. “Yewonnie? It’s me.”

 

It didn’t take long before the door opened and Sungyeon was quickly pulled inside; a surprised squeal coming out from her. Sometimes, her same-aged friend’s unlikely strength terrified her. When they were both inside, Yewon immediately closed the door and locked it. “I’m really glad you’re here,” she said as she turned around to face her best friend. “I really should apologise for making you wo- Are you alright?”

 

Poor Sungyeon was massaging her sore right arm. “Next time, please be a little gentler,”she grimaced. “I thought my entire arm was gonna rip off.”

 

In no time, the other girl was all up in Sungyeon’s personal bubble to help diminish whatever pain that was still prevalent in her arm. “I’m so sorry! I don’t know my own strength!”

 

“It’s fine, Yewonnie. Now can we get back to why we’re here in the first place?”

 

Yewon stopped massaging Sungyeon’s arm, her eyes downcast and not meeting her friend’s gaze. “I’m really sorry for making you worried. There’s so many things going on and I’ve been feeling overwhelmed.”

 

“Don’t we all?” Sungyeon gently took Yewon’s hands, tugging her a little closer. The comforting warmth between the two returned again. “So what’s the matter? Is it something related to work? Are you feeling tired? Do you need a break? I can ask Nayoung unnie to let you have some rest days, you know.”

 

“It’s got nothing to do with our schedules, Sungyeon,” Yewon hesitantly looked up at the other girl.

 

Was that fear in her eyes? Alarms bells were tripped at the back of Sungyeon’s mind. “If it’s not, then what’s going on?” she prodded.

 

“I’m having some troubles in school,” Yewon muttered. Sungyeon was very aware of how the grip on her hands has tightened.

 

“Do you need help with your studies?” she questioned again.

 

Yewon simply shook her head.

 

Sungyeon blinked in confusion. “Then what…?”

 

A tensed pause. Yewon was darting her eyes around, afraid to meet with Sungyeon’s. It took a whole five seconds before Yewon eventually breaks the news.

 

“Someone’s...bullying me.”

 

Sungyeon stared blankly at her, her brain trying to process the information. When it finally did, it sparked a raging flame in her being. “ What? ” the composer almost snarled. Who the hell would pick on someone as vibrant and lovable like Yewon? Sungyeon normally wasn’t a violent person, but this was one of those rare exceptions where she wouldn’t think twice about beating someone up to a bloody pulp. “Who is it?” she raised her voice a notch.

 

It only made the positive girl deflate and slightly pull away out of fear. “Sungyeon, please calm down,” Yewon pleaded. “I’ll tell you the whole story but I need you to not be so scary right now.”

 

The anger subsided, though only slightly. “How can I not get angry? You just confessed to me that someone is bullying you, Yewon,” Sungyeon worriedly said. “What did they do to you? Cause I swear, if they hurt you, I’m gonna-”

 

She didn’t manage to finish that sentence as she was pulled towards the other girl, their foreheads now touching. Sungyeon could only silence herself when she locked eyes with Yewon’s own troubled ones. Her best friend was on the verge of tears again.

 

“Don’t,” Yewon began. “I know you mean well, but I don’t want you to go do something that might ruin our image.”

 

“At this point, image is the least of my priorities right now,” Sungyeon replied, an earnesty in her voice which struck a chord somewhere in Yewon’s heart.

 

Yewon swallowed the heavy lump stuck in , trying to keep her emotions intact. “I don’t think Nayoung unnie or our managers would approve of the whole group threatening another person over this.”

 

“And what? That person is allowed to do the same to you?”

 

“Baesoongie…”

 

Sungyeon released a defeated sigh. She never could go up against a pleading Yewon, no matter how intimidating she wanted to be. “Fine, fine. I’ll chill on the passive-aggressiveness.”

 

Seeing the slight quirk on her best friend’s lips was enough to stop the urge to go out and slap a . At least for a while.

 

“It’s going to be a long story so…” Yewon darted her eyes to the lone toilet beside the sink, “Take a seat?”

 

“Of all the places to do this…” Sungyeon lamented with a roll of her eyes. She lets herself be pulled to the porcelain throne by Yewon, not forgetting to close the lid down before sitting on it. “What about you? You’re just gonna stand in front of me while you tell me everything about this?”

 

It didn’t take long before the composer got an answer with Yewon making herself comfortable on her lap instead.

 

“Oh,” Sungyeon could only say. Well, this was fine too. Yewon wasn’t even that heavy.  She just wished she knew where she was supposed to place her hands. Oh wait, Yewon’s hands were already on her shoulders. Guess it meant she had to place them on her friend’s waist then. “Uh, is this alright?”

 

It felt like it had been several years since Sungyeon heard a genuine laugh from Yewon. She watched her with a pleased smile, her best friend covering as she lets out a very hearty chuckle. “You were going to kill someone a moment ago, and now you’re as awkward as me when I first entered the company!” Yewon remarked, not without adding a few playful smacks to Sungyeon.

 

“Well, I’m just glad I can make you laugh again, pretty girl sitting on my lap.”

 

Yewon brought her face closer to the other girl, her eyes bearing a glint of mischief. “Oh, I’m pretty?”

 

“Hold the ego, Miss Yehana. You still gotta spill the tea about this bully that’s been terrorising you,” Sungyeon’s tone turned slightly serious. “I’m still considering murder.”

 

“Please don’t.”

 

“Who’s the one giving you a hard time?”

 

Yewon sighed. “Actually, it’s two of them.”

 

“ them.”

 

“Sungyeon!” the older girl exclaimed in shock. “Language!”

 

“Male or female?” Sungyeon asked again.

 

“...Females.”

 

“es,” Sungyeon bites back without a care in the world, completely ignoring Yewon’s scandalized reaction. “So why are they bullying you?”

 

“I have no idea. They’re my classmates. I do get along well with the people in my class, at least I think so. Although, those two seem to not be very fond of being friends with me…”

 

The composer furrowed her brows. “When did this all started?”

 

“Some time after we debuted.”

 

“Give it to me straight, Yewon. What did they do to you?”

 

Sungyeon slightly regretted being so blunt, seeing as how Yewon very noticeably winced at her question, but she needed to know. One of the most important persons in her life was suffering, damn it. She’ll be doubly damned if she couldn’t do anything to get her out of this. The hold on her waist tightened, leaving no gap between them, except for their faces. Being in very close proximity wasn’t foreign to them; instances like these saved for moments when it calls for it. A gesture of companionship when in need of it. A silent ‘I am always here for you’ between them.

 

“The first time it happened was when I received anonymous messages filled with malicious words and hate. I shouldn’t have read them but curiosity got the better of me. I blocked the numbers afterwards. I should have told someone about it but I didn’t want to worry anyone so I kept quiet,” Yewon recalled, her eyes casted downwards and her hands trailed down to lightly grip on the sleeves of Sungyeon’s shirt. “A week went by and things started to happen at school. I opened my locker to find a bunch of small cards with those same words written on them in red and black markers. I threw them away and never told any of my teachers or friends in school. Maybe I was trying to prove to the bullies that I was strong and something like that could never get me down. I guess I thought wrong...”

 

“Yewon,” the composer uttered her name, trying her very best to keep the boiling anger inside her in check. “You don’t need to tell me everything. What I need to know is if they’re still tormenting you every time you go to school.”

 

“...Yes, they still are.”

 

“Good.”

 

Yewon furrowed her brows. “Good?”

 

“Yeah. Cause when the others and our managers hear about this, those es are gonna wish they’d never mess with you.”

 

The heaviness in Yewon’s heart lightened when she heard that. The light of a touched smile curving its way up her lips. Tears were stinging the edges of her eyes but they were ones of gratitude. “I feel stupid now. I should have just opened up about this in the first place,” she sniffled.

 

Sungyeon was quick to rub the other’s back comfortingly. “Hey, don’t beat yourself up over this,” she said in a gentle tone. “As long as we can get help, then everything will be fine.”

 

“You’re the best,” Yewon didn’t hesitate to envelop the composer in a tight hug, relishing in the warmth of it and being slightly amused by the ‘oompf’ sound which came out of her.

 

“Any tighter and I’ll be wheezing,” Sungyeon commented, which led to another squeeze for added effect. She didn’t mind it at all. “That’s what best friends are for, right? Having each other’s back when they need it the most?”

 

Yewon pulled away just enough to stare back at her BFF for life with the most grateful and touched smile gracing her lips. No amount of words could even describe how much she truly appreciates the help and existence of the girl before her. Maybe after this problem has settled, she would find a way to thank Sungyeon properly. But for now…

 

Yewon leaned in towards the other girl’s face and proceeded to kiss her cheek, lingering on it for a good three seconds before pulling away. “Thank you,” she uttered. “For being here with me.”

 

A blush was slowly spreading through her face, but Sungyeon played it cool. “Y-you’re welcome.”

 

Yes, definitely cool enough.

 

Another bright laugh resonated through her ears, sounding more and more like one from an angel. This was the Yewon she loved. The human epitome of sunshine, brightening up the whole room with her demeanor.

 

Her lap was sore by the time they wrapped up their heart-to-heart, but Sungyeon was not one to complain now that Yewon was mostly back to her usual self. There was still a twinge of uncertainty left in her, of whether or not her predicament would finally end.

 

“We’ll talk about this with Nayoung unnie and the others after we’re done with our schedules later,” Sungyeon reassured her as confidently as she could, standing up from her makeshift seat on the toilet bowl. “I’m still considering about murder but you’d probably don’t want me to end up in jail.”

 

“I appreciate the lengths you would go for me, but let’s stick with something more civilised,” Yewon entwined her hands once more with the composer. There was a certain reluctance in the way she did that, Sungyeon noticed – as if she didn’t want to leave her side just yet.

 

“You know we gotta sleep right?”

 

“Of course.”

 

Sungyeon glanced down at their joined hands, then looked back up at her best friend. “Then why does it feel like you don’t want to go to bed?”

 

It was Yewon’s turn to blush, a pink tint flushing across her face. “I’d rather be with you right now than sleep.”

 

A smirk creeped up on the composer’s lips. “I’m too irresistible?” she added with a wiggling of her eyebrows.

 

A strong whack to the arm was what she got, followed by an adorable whine of complaint – one which she hasn’t heard in a long while. She missed that sound as much as she missed all of the laughter. Sungyeon grinned.

 

“Welcome back, Kim Yewon.”

 

---

 

“You did good, Sungyeonie.”

 

Sungyeon looked up, a large familiar hand petting the crown of her head. She glanced to the side sheepishly. “I didn’t do anything much, Roa unnie.”

 

“Keep telling yourself that, and Yewon might get disappointed,” Minkyung finished her petting and joined the younger member on the floor, sitting next to her and leaning against the mirrored walls. “A part of me still feels bad that I didn’t notice her pain earlier. The rest of us feels that way too. We’re glad that you saw it and did something before it was too late.”

 

“Anyone could have done it.”

 

“True, but you’re the only one who actually did.”

 

Their eyes gazed at the rest of their members who were busy goofing off, doing a bunch of twirls and other nonsensical dance moves while on break. Even their stone Buddha leader was taking part in their antics. They chuckled at the sight before them, basking in the content happiness which was evident in the room. Although the both of them were looking at the same scene, they were more focused on the bubbly member whose energeticness and contagious smiles spread a warmth through their hearts.  

 

It had been a couple of weeks since their company took action against the perpetrators. It took some time to investigate and gain enough evidence for the report to be cleared, but with the help of the school and other means of support, Yewon’s bullies were now going through a lengthy suspension. It could have been a worser consequence like expulsion but Yewon insisted that they shouldn’t have to go through with that. Even when she had been the sole victim, she was still an angel about it. Sungyeon bitterly smiled at the memory, more because her plans for murder were significantly doused, unfortunately. Siyeon had volunteered to be her partner-in-crime but the other members quickly wrecked that hope apart.

 

“So,” Sungyeon’s train of thought broke when Minkyung continued, “why are you just sitting here when you should be there?” the older member pointed at Yewon, who was busy playing a game of ‘Cham Cham Cham’ against Eunwoo. She seemed to be losing.

 

“I could ask you the same thing,” Sungyeon dodged the question, reaching out to a water bottle next to her for a sip of water.

 

“Well, I don’t think you’ll continue to sit here soon,” Minkyung eyed the match with much attention.

 

“Wha?”

 

“Yewon lost!” Yaebin loudly announced to the whole room. “That means she has to buy the ice-cream!”

 

“Can’t I at least bring someone with me?” the loser of the match whined.

 

“Sure, but you can only pick someone watching from the sidelines,” Yaebin cheekily pointed a thumb behind herself.

 

All eyes were on Sungyeon and Minkyung.

 

Minkyung casually distanced herself from a clueless Sungyeon, and pointed at the composer.

 

“Bae Sungyeon!” Yewon chose with glee and skipped eagerly towards her. She needed no second thoughts for that.

 

“Oh come on…” Sungyeon exasperatedly said.

 

The familiar feeling of entwined hands was something she was used to, but she noticed how common this gesture has been done lately between them. Her best friend was always reaching out for her hand whenever the opportunity arises. And it always seemed to stir something in Sungyeon’s heart. Something good. When they walked out of the company’s building hand-in-hand, Sungyeon eyed Yewon carefully as they strolled to the store. The other girl felt the gaze and looked back at her.

 

“You okay?” Sungyeon asked, a hint of concern in her tone.

 

Yewon blinked, and then her lips curved into a genuine smile, her eyes crinkling into those crescents that she loved. “Yes, I am.”

 

Sungyeon returned the smile back.

 

She wouldn’t have it any other way.