STAGE II

Complicated Threats
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haejin slouched into the stiff chair of a café nearby her home, stretching her limbs.

Exam period was the absolute worst.

Just as she was about to return to her laptop now running low on battery, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

“Yes?” Haejin asked, raising her eyebrow at a handsome male standing sheepishly behind her.

“Sorry, I just- you go to Seoul University right?” He asked, scratching the back of his neck.

“Do I know you?” She replied, cautious of a stranger asking for personal information.

“I- My name’s Daniel, I go to Seoul University and I see you around campus a lot and I think we’ve had a few classes together too! I was just wondering if you-” Daniel began before he was cut off.

 

“I’m so sorry babe, have you been waiting long?”

 

Haejin turned around, eyes widening at the sight of the male from the club the night before, taking a seat at the chair opposite of hers.

 

“, I’m so sorry I didn’t know you had a boyfriend. I, uh, guess I’ll see you around campus!” Daniel, red on his cheeks, sputtered before rushing off.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Haejin asked, once she snapped out of confusion.

“Doing what I’m paid to do.” Jungkook smirked, crossing his legs and leaning back into the chair.

Haejin frowned before closing her laptop. “I thought I said-”

“To not follow you because I was being a stalker? Yea, so I figured I’d approach this in a different way.” He answered for her.

“I meant for you to not follow me altogether!” She rebutted, frustrated.

“I’m not sure if you remember, but someone’s out their threatening your father which means there's a good chance of them coming after you too. So like it or not, I’m here to stay.” Jungkook sighed.

“And annoying me like this is a part of the new plan?” Haejin rolled her eyes, reaching for her iced Americano.

“Oh no, this is payback for calling me a stalker yesterday.” Jungkook retorted, picking up the drink before she could and took a sip, staring straight into her eyes.

She had to hand it to him, he was handsome, dressed in all black and a long black coat to combat the last of the cold November air.

 

“What’s your name?” Haejin asked abruptly, surprising the male sitting in front of her.

“Why the sudden interest?” Jungkook smirked once again, watching the way her nose scrunched.

“Am I not allowed to know the name of the person’s who’s going to be babysitting me?”

At that, Jungkook laughed. “That’s exactly what I said when I was given this task.”

“You don’t know my name?” Haejin questioned, genuinely confused.

 

The people her father hired always knew her name.

 

“Oh no, I know everything about you. Bae Haejin, 21, born January 21, currently studying Criminology and Psychology, a girl who doesn’t have a lot of friends and doesn’t like sugar in her coffee.” Jungkook recited, leaning forwards to place his elbows on his knees.

“And from what I’ve observed so far: sassy, impudent and bold. But smart, I’ll give you that.”

 

Haejin’s eyes narrowed, unappreciative of how disrespectful the male was being.

 

“Look-” She began, before she was cut off. Again.

“Jungkook.”

“What?”

“That’s my name. Jungkook.”

Haejin felt her eye twitch before she took a deep breath, attempting to calm the fire brewing within her.

“Look, Jungkook. You’ve made it clear that you don’t want to be here and that you don’t like me. Don’t worry, I feel the exact same way. So why don’t we make a deal – I’ll let you do your job in peace as long as you don’t disturb me or get in my way.”

Before he could respond however, she stood up from her chair and shoved her laptop into her bag.

“I’m going to the school library. Keep your distance.”

Jungkook watched the girl walk off, amused at how easy it was to get under her skin.

 

---

 

A week flew by and true to her word, Haejin made no comment on how Jungkook always seemed to be around her – sitting at a nearby desk at the library or eating at the other end of the school’s cafeteria table.

In exchange, Jungkook made no attempt to annoy her, enjoying the peace provided when the girl wasn’t talking.

 

---

 

“What the hell?” Jungkook yelped, dodging a pile of paper flying his way as he entered the BTS base.

“One full week and we’re going nowhere.” Yoongi growled, flopping onto the couch.

“We’ve tried finding details about the email that was used to threaten the client, but whoever sent it erased all tracks of it right after. No IP address, no codes, no nothing.” Jin murmured, attempting once again to trace the history of the email that claimed there were eyes on Bae Shinyong at all times and that if he didn’t agree to sell his business by the end of this year, the building will be burned down and everyone in relation to him would be killed.

“How do we know that there’s a real threat then?” Jungkook asked, taking out a can of beer from the fridge before returning to take a seat next to Namjoon.

“I hate to admit it but the culprit behind this is either a genius or hired one to work for him. There’s always at least two of us guarding the client or examining his surroundings but they continuously send photos of him in the split seconds he’s alone.” Jimin grumbled, running his hand through his hair.

 

“How’s your job going?” Hoseok asked, wanting a break from the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter