Ch 23

Mafia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, do you want to grab a drink? I’m gonna make tea,” Chanyeol said just as he was locking the guns away in their cabinet. 

“Yeah, that would be nice,” 

Misook chatted casually to Chanyeol as the climbed the stairs to the kitchen. After the incident with Jongdae, Kris had again banned everyone from leaving the base unless absolutely necessary. Apart from Kyungsoo of course. Meaning that the majority of the members had a lot of time on their hands doing nothing. Joonmyun had taken up refuge in his lab and was almost finished redecorating with help from Luhan. 

“How long do you reckon it will be before Kris allows us out again?” Misook questioned as Chanyeol retrieved two cups down from the cupboard. 

“Who knows. I’m surprised he’s banned us at all. Clearly banning us from leaving after the previous incidents didn’t work so I’m not sure why he’s doing it again,” he replied.

Misook thought for a moment, “Unless he has an ulterior motive.”

Chanyeol poured the water into the two cups and then filled a small jug with milk, placing it on the table before handing Misook her cup, “You may be right. I wouldn’t put it past him,” 

“I guess we’ll find out,” 

Chanyeol managed to finish off his tea a lot faster than she’d thought, evidently in a hurry to get somewhere. He seemed to be one of those people who could drink hot liquid like it was freezing cold. Misook wasn’t sure if those kinds of people should be trusted. Bidding her an apologetic goodbye, Chanyeol disappeared off to wherever he had to be. 

“Misook, could you find Jongdae for me? I have a job for him.” 

Misook jumped at the sudden voice, not hearing Kyungsoo enter the room until he was directly behind her; and when she had a cup of very hot liquid in her hand. Luckily for her she always waited for her tea to cool down before she drank it, otherwise she’d be suffering from third-degree burns right now. 

“He’ll probably be in the surveillance room,” Misook replied to him. “it’s almost impossible to keep him out of there, even with injuries,” 

Kyungsoo nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. You’ll probably want to come too, he might need some convincing and something tells me he won’t listen to his leader,”

Misook snorted. It was definitely a given that Jongdae and Kris did not get along with each other, and most of the time it was difficult enough to even get them to work together, let alone do each other a favour. Whatever Kyungsoo wanted Jongdae to do, Misook was pretty sure that he’d decline if Kris ordered him to do it—a sarcastic comment would probably follow—and Misook wasn’t sure she was in the mood today to deal with Kris’ sulking. 

Like Misook had said, Jongdae was in the same place he always was, tucked up in the corner of the surveillance room with his laptop in front of him and the dozen or so monitors with various video feeds playing above him. Misook wondered if he ever ventured outside other than on missions, (or when he wanted a coffee date with her), but then again with his level of intelligence and the high chance that the police or a rival gang could recognise him alone on the street it was probably better that he stayed in the base where it was safe, and where his brain could be put to good use. Though if Kris had the chance - and someone else with the same level of intelligence as Jongdae - he probably would have tied Jongdae up, taken him for a drive into the country, dropped him off in a dark, damp ditch, and left him for dead. 

Misook noticed that Kris was also in the room, hovering behind Jongdae at a safe distance while the hacker seemingly ignored him. 

“Jongdae,” Kyungsoo muttered, grabbing the hackers attention. 

“Kyungsoo, what can I do for you?” He replied. 

“Probably the same thing I just asked you-“ Kris chimed in but was interrupted by Jongdae snapping his fingers.

“-which is still a resounding no.” 

Before Kyungsoo had even revealed what job he wanted Jongdae to do, Kris had beaten him to it and Jongdae had - as expected - politely told him to off. 

“What exactly do you want him to do?” Misook asked Kyungsoo, quietly. 

He pulled a file out of his backpack and tossed it on the desk next to Jongdae. The hacker side glanced at it before lowering the lid of his laptop and turning to face Kyungsoo, ready for his explanation. He might have said no to Kris, but that didn’t mean he’d say no to Kyungsoo. It all relied on how he delivered the job offer to him. 

“I wouldn’t normally ask this of you, but the boys at the station have had no luck with this and we really need this lead. I’ve rang the boys at central intelligence and there’s nothing they can do without being discovered by the government’s security system and ultimately shut down.” 

Jongdae opened the file. It contained a list of names of suspected government officials who could potentially be corrupting the system and making themselves very rich at the same time. Kyungsoo didn’t need to actually say it for Jongdae to understand what was being asked of him. 

“You want me to break through the governments’ firewall and access their top-secret information.” He concluded, pushing his glasses up. 

“Basically yeah.” 

“Are you insane? This is a huge job, one that could potentially land me in federal prison if I’m caught doing it.” 

Kyungsoo blinked. “I know it’s a big ask, but you’re the only person I know capable of pulling it off.” 

Jongdae thought about it for a moment. “Hacking into government files is risky enough without the added risk of being caught by their cybersecurity. Their systems are specifically designed to keep people like me out, it won’t be easy to break through them and it could take a while for me to find what you’re looking for. Plus, the longer I stay in the system, the more likely I am to be found,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter