Ch 2

Mafia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her sister still hadn’t arrived home by the time Misook left the house early the following morning, which wasn’t exactly a huge surprise but did make her wonder what kind of guy her sister had gone on a date with if he wasn’t ‘bring-home’ worthy. Either her sister had gone back to his place and stayed the night because she hadn’t been keeping track of time, or she’d stayed the night because she was almost certain that Misook wouldn’t approve of him. It would not be the first time.

Throwing her duffle bag over her shoulder she left the house, making sure to lock the door behind her. She didn’t expect her dad to be home, nor did she expect her brother to be home either. Her dad spent most of his time in his office on the other side of the city and her brother hadn’t been home in a good few years since he moved into his own apartment. She couldn’t say she missed him. Or his cooking.

 

Around half an hour later she was stood outside a building that reminded her very much of the Anomaly Research Centre from that British science fiction drama she’d watched years ago. The only thing it was missing was a huge sign and - Misook hoped - prehistoric creatures. Although, she’d definitely be the first to leave if one made an appearance. Biting her lip, she surveyed the entrance to the building, looking for anyone that might be a member of the mafia. There didn’t appear to be anyone around at all, mafia member or otherwise, though that was hardly surprising considering it had only just past nine thirty in the morning. She’d never met any of the lower ranks, so she wouldn’t be able to tell who a member of the mafia was just by looking at their face. Her dad had given her clear instructions not to let any of the lower ranks know who she was, and had even devised a cover story for her if they ever asked about her background, though unlikely. The only way she knew how to tell if someone was a member of the mafia was to look for tattoos or brands. All members of the mafia under her dads' reign, both male and female, had a tattoo or brand somewhere on their body that signified where their loyalties lied. If a member was male they would have a brand in the shape of a K on their right wrist - which they usually kept covered under their clothing or a wristband - whereas if a member was female they would have a blue rose tattoo on their left shoulder. Misook had hers done when she was sixteen and her sister had hers done just last year. 

Strolling through the entrance to the building she began to take in her surroundings. The lobby looked almost identical to every other lobby she’d ever seen; she’d describe it as a cross between a hotel reception waiting area and a major corporation ground floor that would more or less be crawling with security. To the left there was a what looked like a small cafe, selling all sorts of pastries and breakfast items that Misook really wanted to visit at some point during her stay. To the right, there was a seating area filled with black leather sofas and armchairs, all of which looked incredibly comfortable, and directly in front of her was what looked to be a reception desk. However, much like outside, there didn’t appear to be anyone around inside either. 

A lone cup of coffee - still steaming as if it had just been made - stood on the lower part of the reception desk, next to a few stacks of papers and a computer that looked like it hadn’t been used in a while. The owner of said coffee must’ve gone for a bathroom break, Misook thought. 

Readjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder she continued to walk through the lobby. She was so focused on looking around at her surroundings that she didn't notice the person turning the corner in front of her before it was too late. Misook bumped right into the man before she could stop herself, dropping her bag and sending the papers he was carrying flying into the air, scattering like leaves. 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there." The man said, reaching to pick up Misook's bag and hand it back to her before turning his attention to his own papers. "You must be the new girl, my name's Joonmyun, but you can call me Joon if you like.” 

Misook smiled, “Misook. Nice to meet you.” 

She noticed that Joonmyun was dressed like a security guard; black shoes, black jeans and a light blue shirt complete with ‘security’ embodied on the left side. How curious. 

Picking up the last of his papers, Joonmyun laughed, “Huh, just like Minseok.” 

“Excuse me?” 

He shook his head, smiling. “Never mind, I’m talking to myself,” Joonmyun put the papers down on his desk and gestured for her to follow him. “Come on, I’ll show you around.” 

Joonmyun took her to the left of the reception desk and through a wooden door which led to a short flight of stairs. Heading down the stairs, she was brought to the first basement level. On this level was the kitchen, as well as a few offices and a bathroom. There was also a large meeting room at the end of the corridor on the right that was mostly used by higher ranking members to discuss operations. 

Joonmyun took her into the kitchen where he intended to grab a quick drink before showing her the rest of the base. She was not expecting to walk into a room that looked like it had been plucked from a modern style mansion. White and black marble countertops, an island in the middle of the room with several stools around it acting as a breakfast bar, and several fruit bowls filled with apples, oranges and peaches. One thing was for certain, this kitchen was definitely lived in as a couple of cups had been left by the sink ready to be washed, the floor glistened like it had just been mopped (confirmed by the mop and bucket next to the door), and the notice board was filled with leaflets and take away menus, though Misook highly doubted that any of them were actually used.

Misook hadn't noticed the person standing by the fridge until they turned around, eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights with a slice of apple between their lips. Oh, he really does look like a deer.

"Luhan, you better not be eating my apples." Joonmyun accused, raising an eyebrow.

The male - Luhan - looked rather scandalised at the accusation. Taking a bite out of the apple slice, he chewed and swallowed before answering.

"Relax, these aren't yours, Min said I could have his." He said, finishing off the apple slice before picking up another. "Who's your friend?"

"Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter