Six Geese a Laying

12 Days of Writing (Christmas Special)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain fell up. That was the first thing Gyeoul noticed as she stood in the open field, rain falling upwards. She staggered backwards a bit when a cold drop suddenly went up her nostril. This is definitely not normal, she thought, gnawing on her lip.

It thundered and the ground shook underneath her feet. But the rain falling upwards was not the only odd thing about this place, but there was a fairly large cloud floating on two feet away from her. Rain poured from it, following the rest of the floating drops into what normally was a sky. The only thing in the sky was very tall, very slim trees that seemed to never end, roots spiraling into the sky, covering it in darkness. Some of them were tall enough that their tips touched the trees that actually grew from the ground. A few of them were tall enough to touch to the ground.

It crossed Gyeoul’s mind that it was impossible for rain to come from the ground, but when she looked down, she realized she was standing in the midst of dark clouds. The sky was literally on the ground. At that moment, all she could think was that the sky had actually fallen and she was the only survivor. Or she had just lost her mind.

Having no idea where to go, Gyeoul merely stood in the middle of the unknown place, eyes trailing over her surroundings. She prayed she was only dreaming and she would wake up soon. It wasn’t so much that she hated unfamiliar places, she loved to travel, but she was alone and pretty sure she had just seen a pair of glowing eyes within a ground tree.

A moment later, a twig snapped under pressure directly above her head.

“Stay still and it won’t sting,” a voice advised, coming from the exact place she had seen the glowing eyes.

Gyeoul looked up to see a mutant of a cobra and scorpion handing from a sky tree. It’s wide head tilted, eyeing her in an eerily intelligent way as it’s tail raised behind it. Unable to help it, she gasped, ready to bolt.

“No sudden movements.”

Gulping, Gyeoul looked towards the voice, only seeing darkness within the tangled roots of the abnormally large tree, big enough to house a small family.

“What is it?” she whispered, keeping as still as possible, though her hands were trembling by her sides.

The cobra-scorpion hissed, seeming to not appreciate being an “it” and Gyeoul squeezed her eyes shut, wishing to wake up already.

“Her name is Trouble,” they replied.

Gyeoul almost wanted to laugh. In a completely bemused and terrified way. Instead, she remained silent and entirely immobile, waiting for the potential danger to pass or for herself to wake up. She hoped for the latter, but sadly a low hiss sounded when a breeze washed through the cluttered forest.

“You’re scared her enough, Trouble,” the voice from the trees spoke up, the breeze spinning into a slightly more frantic wind. “Leave her be.”

Another hiss sounded as the creature from the trees, a hiss of pain, and Gyeoul leaped back several pace

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter