Four Calling Birds

12 Days of Writing (Christmas Special)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the anxiety inducing trip of getting their fake IDs and fending off the creepy fraud guy, the 4 teenagers were en route to the night club.

"The key," Yura was saying as they waited in line, "is to act like you belong."

Mihyun, antsy, stomped her boots on the cement, ready to just get the night over with. Around her, however, everyone was just ready to get the night started. Even her friends. Girls were dressed to impress and guys were already hitting them up, offering to buy them a drink once inside. It was hard to tell if they'd ever lived up to their offers though because after successfully getting let in by the bouncer, Mihyun was blinded by the crazy lights and deafened by the loud music.

"How do we know what we're looking for?" Hyojung asked, screaming. Yura grabbed her by the elbow and led them all to a slightly secluded corner. 

Before speaking, she put a finger to her lips and then tapped her ears. They had to be careful with their words because of vampire hearing. 

"Remember what we've been told and don't drink anything."

Mihyun balked. "You really think they'd roofie us?" she asked. 

Taeyong glanced around, eyes alert. "I think they'd do whatever necessary to get what they want. Stay alert." Then he was taking Yura by the hand and wading into the sea of bodies. The young girl looked back and exchanged excited looks with Hyojung who was squealing for her.

"I think this was a bad idea," Mihyun said, looking around. Everyone's faces were shadowed by the dim lighting and if any of the strob lights ever touched them, it was only briefly. There was no way they were going to spot fangs in the middle of all this chaos.

Hyojung rolled her eyes. "Just wait until the action starts," she told her, smiling at a guy in passing. "Maybe try to have fun until then." She left then too, leaving Mihyun to her own devices. 

10 minutes later, she found herself sitting at the bar, getting herself a bottle of water. She figured it was easier to spot anybody worth her while at the bar rather than being pushed around by sweaty bodies on the dance floor. It wasn't exactly popping at the bar though with a couple of older men with their faces in whiskey and some young girl drinking a martini, looking a little green in the face.

Watching the dance floor was tricky as well. Everyone was so tightly packed together, it was nearly futile to try and spot someone another's blood and not just giving out hickeys. Mihyun was beginning to think Taeyong had gotten his information all mixed up after an hour passed. She was just about to go and find them when a red head came stumbling to the bar, laughing giddily and demanding some shots. She was obviously very intoxicated but what caught her attention was the 2 puncture wounds on her neck, just barely peeking from under her dark hair.

Mihyun's blood went cold and she looked around for anyone who looked suspicious. She even tried to see where the girl ran off too but the throng of dancers swallowed everything up right before her eyes. No wonder this was the vampires' hunting grounds. It was easy to slink through undetected. 

Now that she was positive there was an actual vampire in the club, she felt oddly excited and scared all at once. She had to find the others. 

Pushing into the dance floor deemed harder than everyone was making it look and Mihyun ended up trying to scout the edges, moving around the walls instead of through the middle of everyone. She desperately tried to spot someone she knew but all the faces blurred together and the more she was shoved around, the more suffocated she felt until she retired to the bathroom for some air and to send a text.

A text pinged on her phone just as she finished washing her hands. 

We found him. It was Hyojung replying in the group chat. Meet us outside the bathrooms. 

Mihyun didn't even bother to dry her hands and rushed out of the bathroom, slamming straight into someone standing there. She was embarrassed to find it wasn't one of her friends and instead some poor guy who had come out of the guys' bathroom just next door.

"Sorry," she said, taking a step back to let him pass, trying not to blush too openly. It wasn't every day she nearly trampled an extremely handsome guy in a club.

"No worries." He smiled, moving by her. 

Right as he disappeared, her friends came barrelling into the small hallway. Hyojung was grabbing her by the shoulders. 

"There's freaking 3 of them!" she gasped, shaking the girl.

Taeyong looked a little pale. "I thought the instructors were exaggerating a little but they were apparently worried for good reason."

"We should leave," Mihyun said immediately. "It might sound like a fair fight but it won't be. They clearly know what they're doing. I saw a girl just amble up to the bar with bite marks on her neck!"

Yura quickly shushed her. "Let's just play it cool, keep an eye on them, and ambush them when they leave."

"That's a stupid plan!" Mihyun snapped. Taeyong grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Let's just stay together, okay? We can take 'em."

Unwilling to leave alone, Mihyun followed them and ended up dancing alongside them all, halfheartedly. Hyojung tried to give her reassuring smiles through the dim lights. It didn't help. 

A few minutes later, Taeyong was nudging her in the ribs and nodding at a nearby couple, closely interlocked. At first glance, it was simply a guy and a girl getting a little steamy on the dance floor, nothing too special, but then the guy straightened up. As casually as any other person on the dance floor, he swiped his fingers over the girl's throat and brought them to his mouth, on them. He smiled down at the girl, her too dazed to function, and kissed her on the lips before releasing her into the crowd. 

Mihyun paled when he looked up, wiping the corners of his mouth. This was the first time she'd ever seen a real vampire up close and, as she feared, she was terrified of the creature.

Taeyong jabbed her again, demanding her attention. "I'm going," he mouthed, following the guy off before anyone could protest. Yura ran after him quickly.

Hyojung shouted something and followed, leaving Mihyun. None of them realized she had fallen into a stupor of disbelief and terror at the sight before them and she was unrelentingly taken by the crowd, pulled left and right by the sway. Her head swam as she tried to right herself, blinking away the sight of blood and the face of the monster she'd just seen. 

It was only when her phone let out an insistent buzz in her back pocket

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter