Eleven Pipers Piping

12 Days of Writing (Christmas Special)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inspiration: “If they wanted food, perhaps they shouldn’t have stolen from me. And for their complaints, they won’t eat tomorrow, either.

"Bring in the next one."

The young king waved to his right hand, one knee crossed lazily over the other. The rings on his fingers glittered in the candle lights. It was nearing sundown and the bright sunshine coming through the windows was almost non-existent.

"Young Miss Yerin was caught stealing apples from a merchant," a guardsman said, beckoning a child and a young woman forward. "When aprehended, her older sister, Miss Hye protested. We arrested her as well for causing a public disturbance."

The king's dark eyes watched as the two females came forward until they were at the steps leading up to his throne. They both knelt on their knees.

"Well," he began, "what is your plea?"

The child was quick to spit out an excuse. "I was so hungry!"

Her sister hastily grabbed her by the arm, shushing her. When the little one was finally quiet, she bowed lower to the king. "I beg your forgiveness, King Sehun. For my sister's crime of theft and her loose lips. She is only but a child and motherless. She's still learning and anyone's teachings can be quickly forgotten in the mind of hunger. I ask that you pardon her and give her another chance to act accordingly."

For a silent beat, Sehun looked upon the siblings thoughtfully. Both were quite skinny, obviously never eating more than one meal a day, if one at all. Both wore dirty clothes and their dark brown hair was matted with dirt and sweat. Much on the contrary to his own younger sister who was well fed and always smelled of perfumes.

"Where has your mother gone?" he finally asked, knuckles under his chin.

The older one kept her head low as she spoke still. "She died in child birth, your grace."

"Have you no relatives?"

Hye shook her head. "No, your grace. My mother was an only child and her parents have long since passed. I never knew my father." Yerin shook beside her sister, holding tightly to her hand. 

Sehun hummed for a moment, contemplating, before he waved his hand, dismissing the case. "A motherless child is nothing but a burden to society. Hang her and send the older one to the kitchens. She can work her wage there."

"NO!" Hye sprang from the floor in shock. A guard roughly grabbed her by the arm. "She's just a child! She'll learn. Please, your grace!"

Another guard came along and pulled Yerin away, towards the exit, but the small girl fought back, screaming and crying for her sister. The guard holding her pulled a whip from his belt and uncoiled it.

"I beg you!" Hye shouted at the king. "I can take care of her! Please!" 

Sehun watched with little interest at the commotion. He needn't lift a finger and it would be dealt with. He only waited for the daily meeting to be over with so he could return to his chambers and rest.

"Hye!" Little Yerin reached for her sister only to cry out in pain when the whip lashed against her arm, opening a large wound. She cried out in pain and the guard picked her up off the floor. 

"Let me take her place instead!" Hye begged, fighting the guard holding onto her. "Hang me and send her to the kitchens."

The king pursed his lips. "Children are not fit to be laborers. She'll only cause mess and distraction to those around her."

Hye began to cry. "Please, your grace. She can learn, she's very smart. Take me instead. Let her live."

There was another crack of the whip before King Sehun raised a hand. "Stop." Everyone in the room went still, even Hye. Sehun turned his attention back to her. "You would give your life for a child whose life hasn't even begun yet?" he asked.

"She's my sister," Hye replied lowly. "I would give anything for her."

Everyone waited with bated breath as the king stared down Hye. Then his eyes flitted to Yerin. "How old are you?"

Still crying in pain, Yerin looked to her sister in alarm. Hye quickly urged her to answer the king.

"Seven, your grace," she croaked, sniffling.

Sehun fiddled with the rings on his fingers for a moment before snapping them. "Take the little one to the farms. She can learn under Lord Kyungsoo until she is old enough to work."

"Your grace—" a guard tried to protest. The king was quick to cast him a cold stare.

"Take the older one to Lady Sooyoung. She'll know what to do with her."

Although Hye didn't like the thought of being seperated from her sister, knowing she would be alive was enough to silence her and make her follow the guards to the Lady Sooyoung. 

The next morning, Hye was taken to Princess Sena and given the position as her handmaiden. The princess didn't have much to say about it and went about her daily activities. The maids around her seemed to be nothing more than flies on the walls. She rarely spoke to them out of commanding something of them. As Hye learned the ropes, she became accustomed to doing things even before she'd even been asked to.

She didn't see the king for several months. In fact, she didn't even hear of her sister for a month. The princess was busy attending theatre shows and visiting vacation homes, taking advantage of her lack of status to hide in the shadows.

It was the middle of winter before Hye saw the king again. Princess Sena had fallen sick and had only returned to the palace that morning. The princess had sent Hye to call for her brother, the young royalty wanting her brother in a time of distress.

The guards standing outside of the king's chambers straightened up when Hye appeared before them. 

"Princess Sena requests the presence of her brother, King Sehun." 

The tallet guard didn't even make eye contact as he spoke. "His royal highness is in a meeting. The princess will have to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter