Step brother

31 short stories for December
 

STEP BROTHER

Jiyeon smiled at her step mother who looked pretty strong minded individual. She was tall and thin, skin fair and hair long black in a ponytail. She looked like the kind ready to pick a fight if anyone do wrong to her loved ones. Jiyeon could see how different this woman was from her mother. Actually she rarely encounters these kinds of women.

You sure okay with us getting married. You’ve to tell us if there something bothering you.” Mr. Park said to his daughter carefully. He has told her few months ago he was finding a woman to marry for he think Jiyeon needs two elder figures to guide her as the teenager she was. He blamed her cold behavior on not having a mother from early age. But of course Jiyeon didn’t but she know her father need someone to fill his heart so she let him do whatever he want with a condition that he need to choose her step mother wisely. And he did. Jiyeon confirmed that when she saw the lady scolding her father for not looking after himself and getting in a car accident. She took care of him for months and Mrs. Oh never forget to look after him, he was her priority and it pleased Jiyeon when she would see the sincere smile breaking in the couples face. Who was she to decide it wasn’t true?

I’m sure.” She said staring at the two in front of her.

When Mr. Park left to do something Mrs. Oh sat closer to Jiyeon and eyed her gently. “Dear is there something I can do for you? You seem like you’re not happy with this. I know your father told me you’re usually like this but I know it’s not easy for you to imagine someone else taking your mother place. I’m not doing that, she’s still your mother no matter what and your father would always love her.”

“I don’t mind you marrying father.” She said knowing the woman would talk more and stands up to leave. She bowed respectfully to Mrs. Oh before leaving.

It was no one fault her mother was in heaven and her father has all the rights to remarry. Her mother left the world when she was only five years old. She has been living without her mother’s warmth and at this point she used to it. It was normal for her when other kids have mothers to cook for them, worry about them. In rare moments, she thinks of that lack of the blessing but then it was normal.


In the wedding only the families of two were which weren’t more than two three people and also her late mother’s family. They’ve been insisting for her father to remarry for years and they were happy he was able to find someone now.

After the wedding Jiyeon was told to pack up because they’ll live in Mrs. Oh house. She didn’t question her father about that change and just did what she was told.

Entering the spacious house she looked around blankly before straightforwardly going to the room appointed to her.

Everything was normal; she avoided her step mother and would only talk to her father in the dining room. She didn’t see the point in talking with anyone. She has always been like that. The only thing she did with passion was her studies. From childhood she engulfed the fate of books and now she was the star student. Her father was proud and her teachers were happy with her and for her in life that was all that mattered.


For months she spends this way. Living in that house avoiding everyone who tries to pry her privacy. Until one day she was told Mrs. Oh has a son at the age of twenty four. That was surprising and she wondered why she wasn’t told this before but again, she never bothered to stay around. And that son was coming soon. Even her father was excited she noticed. Her father told her he had talked with the boy on the phone and he sounded like a nice person and that he would be a good brother to her. She doesn’t need a brother.


It was one day when she came from school and find the suit cases in front of the door which was unusual for Mrs. Oh made sure nothing was thrown around. It must belong to her son. So he was back.

Jiyeon dear, come and meet your brother.” Mrs. Oh called for her. She knows she doesn’t have a way to escape this for now so she listened and quietly went there.

This is my son, Sehun.” Jiyeon forced a smile at the friendly looking boy or man. And she realized he looked a lot like his mother.

Hey baby sis, I guess we’ve to get along huh?” He said kindly.

Jiyeon forced another smile nodding. She was sticking to her plan of living her life with as less communication with human as possible.

And suddenly it was all awkward. Everyone was able to see how she wasn’t happy with the situation.

She’s not much of a talker huh? I understand that.” He said kindly and Jiyeon was thankful when her father agreed and they started to speak on another topic. Taking her chance she walked away.


From that moment on, she kept finding him patting her head whenever they meet gently. At first she didn’t like that but with time she felt his big hand patting her head was nice. It felt good

 

They were all eating dinner. Jiyeon was across Sehun who was converting with both adults. She also find out he was quiet a social butterfly. He would find anything to speak out and he was just full of experiences so it was most of the time fun to hear him to talk. And that’s where it all started. She started to wait to hear his stories after dinner, she would listen to him. And when he tells her some, she would nod along, put her entire focus on him and their parents noticed. They were grateful for Sehun’s easy going personality.


It came to the point Sehun would offer to send her off and Jiyeon would hesitate at first but then agree.

Driving his car to her school Sehun told her how he and his friends pranks the teacher in the last day before summer vacation but because teachers couldn’t take the prank the involved were punished to work for entire summer vacation and after that they made sure to never prank their teachers.

That was rude.” She said quietly but with half smile.

Sehun hummed. “Yeah but you got to admit its fun while it lasts. The prank I mean.” He playfully made engine sounds from his mouth before focusing on his driving again.


Sitting in home alone she was doing her homework and no one was at home. Her parents went out in some ceremony and Sehun’s location was unknown. He has been acting a little different for about a week. He was home late, went out first and basically he stopped eating at home. He would still talk to her but he would have this dreamy thing in his eyes. Jiyeon didn’t know what that spark was, it gave her bad vibes.

And that night she finds out the truth when she went down in the middle of the night to drink a glass of water. Her parents were still not home, but there were some noises and when she went to check, it was Sehun- with a girl. He had his arms around her as she was on his lap. He caressed her hair whispering things that were reddening the girl’s cheek that Jiyeon would rather not know. It wasn’t hard to understand she was his girlfriend and the reason of lack of communication between her and Sehun.


In two days Sehun did actually introduce her as his girlfriend. Minah was her name. It was in dinner time when he introduced the beauty to them and boasted about her. Jiyeon kept her silence feeling nails pricking her heart. She thought Sehun was just a brother to her.

She’s my baby sis and she’s so damn cute!” He exclaimed when he pointed at Jiyeon. Jiyeon nodded towards her wondering why he would call her cute. That term was far from reality. And when Minah gave her confused look, she knows the girl was having hard time believing Sehun’s words. Of course because they were lies.

As if he knows what the two were thinking he swings his arms around Jiyeon catching her off guard. “You wouldn’t know because this flower blooms around me only.” He whispered ily.

Jiyeon’s heart picked up feeling her cheeks turning pinkish while his girlfriend looked around awkwardly. Sehun picked up on that easily.

Aww baby why? You wanted to be that flower? But you’re already my life.” He teased his girlfriend.

Jiyeon felt her heart dropped. She was only his sister and nothing more. She realized that from that moment on for he made sure he reminds her he loves her as a sister.


It was after few months later she met his friends as he brought them home. She didn’t want to come out of her shell but Sehun asked her and she couldn’t deny Sehun.

Guys this is my ba-”

“Your baby sister, we know. You’ve showed us tones of photo. We should be idiots to not recognize her by now.” A guy said almost as if he tired talking about her. She felt slight happiness rushing in her. So Sehun talks about her. It was probably because he likes her as a sister.

Glad you’re not bunch of idiots but if anyone dares to annoy her, I’ll personally strangle you so no touching my baby sis alright?” He announced, it didn’t sound like a joke.

What if I want to date her?” One asked probably to tease Sehun and truth to be told she was also curious what would he think.

You can’t. I won’t let s like you date her. She’s mine.” He snarled, pushing Jiyeon slightly at the side to stop them from looking at her.

Jiyeon wondered why he did that. And from when she starts being his?

While she was sitting with them, Sehun made sure to sling one arm around her shoulder. It also didn’t escape her eyes when he would glare at his friends for looking their way. His grip was possessive and it wasn’t supposed to feel okay because they were siblings as he always say so why he was being like this now? It was confusing.


Jiyeon was studying in her room like usual. Her parents were out and she noticed they’ve been going out often now. She was home alone so when she heard breaking sound from downstairs she dashed down wondering who was it.

It was a drunken Sehun trying to balance his body but ended up knocking everything in his way. Seeing him in such a state for the first time she was stunned. For a while she kept observing him as he struggled. He was actually crawling now.

She decided to help him to his room. Walking towards him, she silently grasped his upper arm to lift him only to realize he wasn’t her match. He seemed all skinny and weightless but for some reason lifting him up was nearly impossible. Then she dragged him to the couch.

Why you did that?” She asked monotonously. She always sounded this way anyway.

Sehun didn’t answer; his body was relaxed now as he breathed heavily.

She cheated on me…” He mumbled after a while staring at nothing.

Jiyeon gulped. How could she dare to do that with Sehun? She’ll have words with her but for now she knows Sehun was heartbroken so she pulled her step brother in awkward hug. He let her do that submissively.

I love her soo much… why did she do that to me…” He whispered again. Flushed cheeks getting wet from the fresh hot hears. He was sober now.

Jiyeon felt her own heart break at the sight of the sad man. She so wanted him to take her instead but it was wrong. Her heart weeps alongside him.

You didn’t need her anyway. She wasn’t the one for you.” Her hand patted his back calming.

A while later Sehun gently pushed her away looking down in shame. “I need some time alone. I’ll be in my room.”

Then he walked upstairs tiredly.

The very next day Jiyeon stole Sehun’s phone and write down one of his friend’s phone number in her phone and put the phone back to his night stand.

Calling the person, it turned out it was Kris. She asked him about Minah’s address and from there she took the cab.

Ringing the bell few times a woman opened the door. Jiyeon coldly said she want Minah. The woman nodded calling the girl out.

Why did you cheat on him?” She asked voice ice cold.

Minah hugged herself sighing deeply. She looked around before breaking into a bitter smile.

I only did that to help him realize his feelings.” She mumbled. She looked tired too. But Jiyeon didn’t understand why she was looking so wracked. It was her who break Sehun’s heart so why she was acting like she was the victim. She has no rights to pretend innocent. “He likes someone else.” She added.

Jiyeon mentally scoffed but she kept her poker face on. “He was drunk last night saying he love you so much, that why would you cheat on him.” This hurt to admit it but it was for the better.

Minah chuckled soullessly. “He thinks like that but I know what’s in his heart.” She looked up uncrossing her arms. “It’s you.” Then she set her penetrating gaze on Jiyeon. “It’s always about you. How he would do this to make you smile and do that to make you frown. It’s just too much for me to take when a guy obviously doesn’t share my feelings. He likes me, but not like he likes you. I want to the first women for my man, a priority and he’s not able to give me that.”

Jiyeon could only stare. She was speechless. She was happy but… she doesn’t want to believe it, it was too good to be true.

And she went home and pretended nothing happened.


For few months they kept being this way until Jiyeon felt she couldn’t take it anymore.

Sehun, do you like me?” She asked one day when they were watching a movie.

Sehun didn’t move his eyes away from the TV. “Yeah of course I like you. What’s with that question?”

Jiyeon took the remote to pause the movie. Her palms were sweating from fear of rejection but it has to be done.

I love you Sehun. Not like a brother- a lover.”

Sehun was quiet and so was she. The pin drop silence gave Jiyeon the answer she was fearing.

I understand.” She gets up from the couch and left.


The next day she wasn’t surprised when she heard yelling sounds coming from downstairs. It was Sehun and her parents. So he told them about her confession. He was always a conservative person so it didn’t feel bad.

Coming downstairs she finds her parents staring at her in distress. She didn’t wait for them to give her a talk that she can’t like her brother in this way and all that bull. He wasn’t her real brother to begin with so they should save their talk for someone else. And she find out she was in bad mood too.

Jiyeon… I don’t know what to say to the two of you-”

“Save it.” She cut them off instantly glaring at her father. “We’re not real siblings to begin with so stop.”

They were gapping at her. For the first time she talked this much and they were not believing it.

Mrs. Oh or now Park cleared . “It’s not about what you think. I’m just disappointed that you two take the decision of changing his name without our permission that’s all.”

What? Who changed their name? She was still Park Jiyeon so what was she saying.

Mooom!!!!” A loud roar of Sehun made them all jumped in fear of end doomsday. Even Jiyeon shivered.

You told her that?! I was making it a surprise!! Way to ruin my plan huh!! I should’ve kept my mouth shut aishh!” Sehun kept complaining though no one understand what he was saying. His roar was enough to make them deaf for few minutes.

What’s going on?” Jiyeon asked voice shaky from being shaken up like this.

Realizing it was still a secret from Jiyeon; Mrs. Park said oops and dragged her husband out leaving a confused Jiyeon and a frustrated Sehun behind.

Snatching his hair a little to calm his high blood pressure which didn’t help the man slap his dark red face few times to stop the blood from riding up to his face.

About last night, I was too shocked to reply so when I got to think straight again I know I gave you the wrong impression so I thought of surprising you. I changed my name back to Oh so we can get married. Don’t ask how it happens so fast, I’ve my ways but yes, I’m Oh again so now we’re not sibling.” He explained hastily.

Jiyeon could only think of thing. He changed his name and now legally he wasn’t a family member… and he did that with not much thinking all because he wanted to… She was speechless again but her body response wasn’t. The tears rolled down as she eyed

him shockingly. So this was the screaming all about in the morning? He did that without talking to them? And he loves her too?

Sehun…”

Sehun finally grinned before walking to her.

We could be together. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m sorry I was kind of slow… I mean who would’ve imagined my sist- no, its step sister would like me back so I was unable to say or do anything. Believe me it was electric shock for me.”

And Jiyeon didn’t minded when he was blabbering when he pulled her in hug. She only stayed there quietly feeling loved and happiness.

03Eur4q.pngmLj6TK8.png

AUTHOR NOTE

alwaysAi idea ^^