Be a part of my world

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Sumin wore the dress that Sehun bought for her. Ye Rim had helped her with the make up and after fully dressed, she asked Ye Rim for her opinion. “Do you think I look ok?” she asked nervously. Ye Rim was sitting on Sumin’s bed and she smiled at her stunning friend who is clueless at how good looking she is. Although Ye Rim would like to dress her up a little bit more, she was afraid that Sumin would be too self conscious.  Sumin was already nervous at the possibility of bumping into Sehun’s friends or other Idols at the restaurant and her insecurity has peaked.

 

Sehun was waiting at a lot in Sumin’s basement carpark when he saw her, standing alone looking out for his car. He smiled looking at how beautiful she looked in the dress he got her and her light make up enhanced her features that she looked simply gorgeous. Although her beauty wasn’t what attracted him at first, but he definitely lucked out.

 

He drove the car and stopped in front of her. Sumin widened her eyes and quickly slid into his car. “Why did you drive your own car?” she panicked. Leaning towards her, he planted a light kiss on her lips, careful not to smudge her lipstick. “So we can get into the restaurant’s car park for celebrities? And hello to my beautiful girlfriend,” he said before he drove off. Sumin was embarrassed for whining the moment she sees him. “Hello,” she said guiltily.

 

They drove to the outskirt of Seoul for dinner. Sumin was nervous about being out with him but Sehun assured her that his manager had reassured him that this particular restaurant is popular for dates for Korean celebrities because it is secluded and the owners and staff are known to maintain the stars’ privacy. They even have separate parking area so that celebrities would get into the restaurant from another entrance.

 

When they arrived at the carpark, Sumin stood outside the door of the car and her hand felt clammy. She took deep breaths as she waited for Sehun who was speaking to the valet. Sehun approached her side, smiling reassuring at her, “Ready?” She shook her head. Sumin had expressed her concern about meeting other celebrities to Sehun, as she felt inadequate. He had reassured her that he loved her and there was nothing to feel insecure. He took her hand in his and give it a squeeze, “You look so gorgeous, I may just turn back so that others don’t see you. But I want to show off my girlfriend tonight. Come sweetheart.”

 

As they entered the restaurant, the maître de noted their reservation and directed them to their seat. As they walked.  they saw several other Idols and actors at the restaurant with their dates. Sehun held Sumin’s hands as they walked in and several people from the various tables looked up in surprise to see him. He nodded to acknowledge some acquaintances before stopping at a table where Super Junior’s Donghae and Leeteuk were having double dates. Informing the maître de that they would stop for a short while first and will get to their seat on their own, Sehun turned to his sunbaenims. He introduced Sumin who smiled shyly in greeting them and took a step behind Sehun, but he put his hands around her waist and pushed her forward. His sunbaenims about growing up and dating and he jokingly replied that he now need tips on where to bring his girlfriend on dates. Sumin remained silent but her face was turning red slowly. Finally, after greeting another of Sehun’s friend, they were seated.

 

After the waiter gave the menu and poured water for them, he left to give them some time to decide. Sehun extended his hand across the table with his palm opened up. Sumin glanced at him and raised her eyes to him. Sehun was smiling. She placed her hand in his and he grasped it. “I’m proud of you. Don’t hide from my friends,” he said solemnly. She nodded and he squeezed her hand before letting it go.

 

After giving their order, Sumin looked around the restaurant. She did not recognize many people so Sehun pointed it out to her. The four girls at a nearby table were from the Idol group’s Twice. He pointed Idols from NCT, Monsta X and Got7. “They were at the club the other time. Do you watch drama? That handsome guy with the pretty girl is Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun. Xiumin-hyung acted in a film with Seung Ho-ssi and Kyungsoo-hyung work with So Hyun-ssi, and the other table is the actress Uee with her boyfriend I suppose. She used to be an Idol previously,” Sehun explained.

 

Sumin looked around the restaurant in wonder. “When you watch TV, it must be surreal to actually know them personally.” He shook his head. “What you see on TV or stage, its just a character that we play. It does not necessarily show the real us.”

 

“How are you different from the person we saw on TV or when you perform?” Sumin asked. Sehun paused and gave it some thoughts. “As an Idol, we show a more perfect picture than we really are. But unlike actors, who always plays a character, there are some parts of us that are true when we are on stage. I’m naturally shy with people I don’t know well. So I don’t speak much. But when I am with my members, I am playful,” he explained.

 

Sumin bit her lips deciding whether she should give her opinion, “Actually, sometimes instead of coming across as shy, it seems to show that like you lack confidence. I’ve seen some improvements from the various videos over the years. I mean, you’ve been on stage for more than 6 years, you still don’t say anything unless directly asked. You always stay at a corner, just observing your members and seemed to prefer to disappear in the background.”

 

Sehun leaned back against the chair and smiled. “You are observant. I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a member of EXO, I am someone who is not good in singing, not the best in rapping nor in dancing. Compared to my hyungs, I don’t have their level of talent. But they have been kind to me, they guided and encouraged me. Always pulling me along and making me feel like a valuable member. I’m too appreciative and grateful. So, I don’t need to push myself forward, I am happy to listen to others and let them lead.”

 

“You are too modest,” Sumin remarked. “I agree that there are strong singers in your group. But you rapped well, just a different style from Chanyeol-oppa and you are definitely the best looking in your group, you are the visual, isnt that’s what you told me it’s called?” Sehun blushed. “Thank you, but I know a couple of my hyung would dispute that,” he said with a chuckle. “I’m serious, when they think of kpop idols in terms of looks and fashion, not only within EXO, but in kpop Idol world,  you are way ahead of everyone’s else,” she said seriously.

 

“Also, I think you are a better dancer than Kai-oppa, and that is not a biased view.” Sehun raised his eyebrows, looking very skeptical. “Seriously. I like your style of dancing more than Kai’s. It’s no denying that he is an extremely good and talented dancer, but to me personally, his style is more suited for stage performance than an Idol group. And his dancing is too y for me. To me, you dance like an Idol, with the cool and suave moves. You never try to look y, but instead it is so manly that gives girls goosebumps.” Sehun guffawed. “Do I give you goosebumps?”

 

Sumin giggled. “All the time. Sometimes I worry, because if someone like me could be so smitten by you through your dancing and intense stare, I’m sure many other girls would be in a worse position.”  “Why do you worry? I’m here with you and not anyone else.” he said simply. Sumin nodded and with her eyes shining, she said softly “Yes, you are with me. Sometimes I wonder why, sometimes its hard to believe.”

 

Sehun took her hands and pulled it to his lips. “I was never interested in anyone until I met you. You are that special,” he said it calmly, his eyes held her gaze as his kissed her hand. Sumin whispered “Thank you.”

 

“Oh.. another thing,” Sumin continued as she broke their gaze. Sehun let her hand go as he leaned back against his chair. A smile was playing on his lips as he waited for her to continue. “I heard you are the best at interacting with your fans through social media.” Sehun widened his eyes. “And where did you hear this? I thought you don’t have Instagram or twitter account?” he asked.

 

“Two of my friends in school are EXO-Ls. Remember Lisa at the party? The other girl is Rhyuyoung, who was upset that she wasn’t at the club yesterday. She called me this morning to complain about not telling her that I knew you and that you were coming to the club. So I owe her your autograph,” she stated firmly.

 

“By the way, because you don’t know how to behave yourself yesterday, some of my friends suspected we are dating,” she huffed. Sehun just smiled because he was scolded and nagged by his hyung on the way back for the same reason. Sumin shook her head when she realized she was digressing.

 

“Ok, back to social media. My friends mentioned that you are good with social media, with your postings, responses and instalive. They like that you seem to sincerely enjoy interacting with your fans. Lisa mentioned that you don’t do it often, but frequent enough to keep your fans happy. Though she mentioned that you have been quiet in recent months,” Sumin said as she searched his face. Sehun just nodded, his face unreadable.

 

“Is it because of me?” Sumin asked. “Tell me honestly.” He gazed at her, a soft smile on his face and he nodded. “I don’t want to do anything that may hurt you. And it was something I do enjoy with my fans but if it hurt you, I rather not.”

 

Sumin felt guilty. She looked at her hands, thinking about it before she looked at him. “I want you to continue. I know my actions before may make you be indecisive about how you are to behave as an Idol, and for that I sincerely apologise. I want to be a supportive girlfriend, and if before, I thought I could be that by keeping my feelings hidden from you, I realized that I was wrong. Lets do this together, let me be that strong woman behind the successful man. My only request, is for you to only protect our love.”

 

Sehun stared at her intently, trying to ascertain her sincerity. He was afraid to lose her and what she just offered would make his life, that much easier. He would be able to have the best of both world. But he was afraid. Sumin saw various emotions flitting across Sehun’s face. She knew he wasn’t convinced and she has only herself to blame for creating that insecurity within him. She stood up and saw surprise on Sehun’s face but his eyes followed her movement as she walked to him. He raised his head as she stood beside him.

 

Sumin placed her hand on his face and gave him a warm smile. Sehun put his arm around her waist as they gazed at each other. With the most loving gaze, she told him softly, “I love you. I won’t run away. Please trust me.” Sehun face broke into a wide smile and he nodded. They smiled at each other and their gaze was broken as the waiter came with their starters. Sumin quickly slid back into her chair.

 

Dinner was delicious. They were enjoying their meal when Kim Jong Kook dropped by. Sehun quickly stood up to greet him, looking flustered. Turning towards Sumin, he said with a smile, “Ah ha.. you must be the reason why Sehun has been missing from the gym. He used to be there all the time, but its so difficult to catch hold of him there now. I’m Jong Kook, one of his friends, that he no longer has any time for anymore.” Sehun chuckled, “Hyung, you know that’s not true. Give me a break.”

Sumin had stood up when Jong Kook turned to her. She doesn’t recognize him but she inclined her head and greeted him with a smile, “Sumin inmida.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind if I sit here for a bit as I wait for your sister in law,” Jong Kook told Sehun. Sehun glanced at Sumin helplessly but she just smiled. All three of them sat down and Sehun ordered drinks for Jong Kook.

 

“So Sumin, can you tell me more about yourself. I’m so curious. I’ve suspected he has a girlfriend but there was nothing from Dispatch or anyone else. I was surprised he managed to keep it quiet.” Jong Kook said. “I’m a second year university student that works part time at a bubble tea shop near SM Building,” she replied. Turning to Sehun, Jong Kook laughingly said “Ah ha.. your love for bubble tea includes the girl at the shop.” Turning back to Sumin, he asked which university. “SNU,” Sumin replied. “What a clever girl like you doing with a dope like him?” Sumin smiled. “That dope can be very charming and irresistible,” and her lips curled into a smile.

 

“Hyung, enough, stop it. You don’t know how difficult it is to woo her, your interrogation may scare her,” Sehun interrupted. Jong Kook appraised Sumin, “I’m impressed that you made Sehun chased you. He was becoming immune to being chased by girls and even guys, it’s a good wake up call that he has to do the chasing.”

 

“He exaggerates. He didn’t really chase after me,” Sumin explained. “I did. You were always running away, not interested in an Idol. I even chased you all the way to Busan and dragged you back to Seoul,” Sehun was quite indignant. Jongkook laughed. He then chatted with Sehun, catching up for a bit while Sumin watched.

 

Jongkook stood up. “Ok, your future sister in law is here. It’s been nice meeting you,” he smiled at Sumin. Sumin stood up and nodded, “Likewise.” The two of them watched as Jong Kook greeted a lady with a peck on the cheek. “Isnt the lady an actress?” Sumin asked. Sehun nodded.

 

“Sehun-ah, I have something to discuss with you,” Sumin said softly as she ate her dessert. Sehun looked up from his chocolate soufflé and waited. Biting her lips, she was thinking of the way to mention it, when Sehun interrupted her thoughts. “Don’t bite your lips. Its tempting me,” he said in a low voice. Sumin raised her eyes, and looking at him seductively, she put a spoonful of cake into and leisurely ate it, the spoon as she took it out of . Sehun growled, his eyes flashing. Sumin laughed. Sehun smiled, loving the sound of her laughter.

 

The laugh eased the tension so she calmly explained that she was offered a Teaching assistant’s post for the next semester. “What does that mean? I’ve not been to university, so I don’t understand,” Sehun was apologetic. “Well, it means I will have to attend some of the lecturer’s lessons, checked on the students’ class participation, and be available for the students to discuss on the subject matter. Based on the queries and discussion, I would give feedback on the various topics understanding to the lecturer,” Sumin explained. “Ah ok,” Sehun nodded.

 

“It’s a good position and would look good on my resume since only top students are selected,” Sumin explained. Sehun was looking at her in confusion, not understanding why it was something that needed to discuss. Sumin never discussed such things before, and in his mind, she should go for it. “But I would have to give up my job at the bubble tea cafe as I’m expected to be in campus up to 6pm daily,” she continued softly. Sehun’s eyes widened.

 

“What about your income from the café?” Sehun asked quietly. “The position has an allowance that is more generous than my salary from the café,” Sumin replied. “My hours in school would now end at 6pm every weekday, so I am free every evening. But I’m reluctant, because sometimes, the only chance I get to see you would be when you come to the café,” she said softly.

 

Sumin had spoken up the worry he had when she first mentioned about quitting the bubble tea café. His first reaction was to ask her not to accept the post and he would top up any shortfall in allowance. But as he looked at her, at how much she had to sacrifice dating him, he realized that would be another selfish thing he demands from her in order to cater to his lifestyle.

 

“Sweetheart, take up the offer. As you mentioned, it is a post offered only to the selected few and it would be reckless to reject it. I have the same fear, about days when I have little time to see you except at the café. But we’ll work it out, ok?” Sehun smiled encouragingly. Sumin brightened up and returned the smile. “Thank you,” and he could see that it was what she wanted to but was afraid of. He was glad.

 

“I’ve been wanting to ask you this. Why do you call my members oppa, even Kai when he is only 3 months older than me, but not me?” Sehun asked. Sumin fluttered her eyelashes and just smiled. “Those fluttering of your eyelashes is not getting you out of this,” he prodded. “I think someone mentioned that you don’t like to be called Oppa,” Sumin started. “That was m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter