A shadow cast

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyungs asked to thank you and your mom for the delicious food. They finished a few of the dishes,” Sehun told Sumin that night on the phone. “Araso, I will tell my mom. She’ll be pleased that EXO members enjoyed her food,” she said softly. “You sound tired,” Sehun said. “I’m sleepy. I’ve been up since 5 this morning,” Sumin said wearily. “Ok, I talk to you tomorrow. Good night,” he said before they hanged up.

 

Sumin lay down on her bed, getting used to the spacious bed. She thought of the new living arrangement, her second year in University and her budding relationship with Sehun. This seems like a year of new beginnings, she thought before falling asleep.

 

Sumin went shopping with Ye Rim for some knick knacks for the house. They were on the way to the supermarket when Sehun called. It was during his break from practice, so they chatted for a short while before hanging up.

 

“How is it dating Sehun? Is it as you expected it?” Ye Rim asked. Sumin took the shopping trolley before answering. “Ok, I guess. Since we became a couple, I have seen him once, that was the day he drove me back to Seoul,” Sumin replied. “You’ve been back for 5 days, and you’ve not seen him at all? Why did you come back then? You’ve could have stayed in Busan with your family,” Ye Rim asked. She knew that Sumin is closed to her family and had looked forward to sending her vacation with them. Sumin didn’t reply.

 

“Are you happy dating him? Is this what you thought dating would be?” Ye Rim questioned further.  Sumin was getting annoyed. She already questioned herself why she came back to Seoul early. She still did not see Sehun. She missed him, but she cannot possibly force him to meet her. “I had no intention to date, so I had no expectation whatsoever. Can you stop asking me? We just started dating, give us a break,” she moaned. Ye Rim glanced at Sumin and saw that her face was sad and upset. She nudged Sumin’s shoulder, “Sorry. I’ll buy ice cream and we stuff our face with it in front of the TV, ok?” Sumin smiled and nodded.

 

Sumin started her work at the café a few days’ later. She was chatting with Hyeri behind the counter, when Hyeri nudged her to look behind. Sumin turned to find Sehun, standing at the counter. Her face immediately lighted up seeing him, and she greeted him.  “Hi,” Sehun returned her greeting with a smile. “Break from training?” she asked. “Yes, 20 minutes,” he looked at his watch, “17 minutes left of the break.” He extended his hand and brushed aside a stray hair on her face, which wasn’t bothering her. But Sehun wanted to touch her face. “I’m sorry I have not been able to see you.” Sumin smiled a little before she spoke, “I’m sorry too.” Sehun felt his heart thumped guiltily at her honesty. He reached for her hand and clasped it. “But I heard that the SMTown concert is a big event. I’m sure a lot of work is required,” she continued. “I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” Sehun gushed.

 

Just then, a few people came into the café. Immediately, Sehun removed his hands while Sumin keyed in his order. In his rush to get to the cafe, he had forgotten to bring money with him. Sumin just signaled its ok, she will pay for it. She then proceeded to take order from the others as Sehun went to Hyeri who was ready with his drink. Sehun walked out of the café, trying to catch Sumin’s eyes but she was busy at the counter.

 

During another break time later in the evening, Sehun sat at the corner with a bottled water and texted Sumin to check if she was able to chat. There was no one at the café, so she said yes.  He pulled the hoodie over his face for some privacy and called her.

 

“Hi,” Sumin answered. “I’m so glad you are back at work. At least I get to see you, even if it was for a short while,” Sehun said softly. “I guess so,” Sumin replied. “Earlier, I saw that you looked really tired. Are you getting enough sleep?” she asked. “The training has been grueling. We had some changes in the plan recently so the choreography had to change for a few groups. That’s why training has been relentless,” Sehun explained. “Do try to get enought rest. Are you eating well?” she asked. “We eat at the cafeteria. The food is ok, but they do tend to repeat. I missed your cooking though. We have to start going on our outings again,” Sehun said. “We don’t have to wait for an outing. What do you want to eat? I’ll make it, you just pick it up any time before your dinner,” she offered. “Are you sure? I’m imposing on you,” Sehun asked. “I would love to cook for you,” Sumin replied. Sehun asked for kimchi fried rice.

 

The next day, when it was break for dinner, Sehun went down with s but on the ground floor, he detoured. “You not joining us for dinner?” Baekhyun asked. “I will, I’m getting a drink first. Don’t get me any food,” Sehun shouted before jogging to the café. He had texted Sumin that he was going over. When he arrived, Sehun joined the queue to buy his drinks. They couldn’t say much to each other as there were other people in the café, so he paid for the drinks including the previous day. Sumin whispered that the food is at the pick up counter with Hyeri. Sehun texted his thanks when he left the café.

 

Reaching the cafeteria, he sat down beside Kai and opened up the container. It was a big portion of fried rice with egg rolls and a couple of banchan. Baekhyun reached across the table and grab an egg roll. Sehun sighed. Suho told the guys to leave Sehun’s food alone, but the guys wanted to taste it. He nodded and let everyone share his food.

 

“Sehun,” Jongdae said. “I approve her as a sister in law,” giving him the thumbs up. “Ya, as if I need your approval!” Sehun replied defensively. “Sehunnie, ask her to make the kimbap again, please,” Chanyeol pleaded. Baekhyun and Xiumin piped in the same request. “I’ll ask her.  But no promises,” Sehun told s. 

 

Sumin was happy to make the kimbap for EXO members. The few times they came to the café, she had found them to be very down to earth, funny and happy go lucky. Through Sehun chat’s, she also discovered more about them and she envied the close bond they have. She knew Sehun loved s very much.

 

When Sehun came to pick up dinner, there was no one at the cafe. Sumin prepared his drink and gave him the package. “The smaller container is for you. Your friends can share the ones in the bigger container,” she explained. “Thank you so much,” Sehun said before leaning forward and surprised her with a kiss on the cheek. Sumin blushed.

 

EXO members enjoyed the food very much. While they were enjoying their meals, a few other idols from other groups came by. When they saw the kimbap, they helped themselves. Since it was tasty, they wanted to know where to get them. DO quickly replied that Sehun’s family sent it over. After the satisfying dinner, EXO members insisted that Sehun called Sumin. After checking that she was able to speak, Sehun put the call on speakers and his hyungs, in unison said their thanks.

 

“Hyung, any possibility of leaving earlier this week?” Sehun asked Suho as the members made their way back to the training room. Suho put his arms around Sehun’s shoulder. “Sorry Sehun-ah, it doesn’t look like it.  Too many rescheduling of activities and we have to be on standby for a few things. I’m truly sorry,” Suho explained. Sehun nodded. On his other side, DO grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. Sehun was grateful.

 

That night, Sehun lay down on his bed with his eyes closed when Suho came in. Suho squeezed in beside Sehun, so Sehun scooted further in without saying anything. Both of them faced the ceiling. “Are you upset with the schedule since you can’t see Sumin?” Suho asked. “No hyung. I understand why,” Sehun answered softly. “Do you miss her?” Suho asked. “Yes, very much” Sehun said even more softly, there was a catch in his voice. “Can you talk to me about you and her. I do not have any experience, so I would like to hear it from you,” Suho asked.

 

Sehun was quiet for a while. “I really like her, hyung. I don’t know why but she made me feel good and happy. It’s not that I am not happy before. With her, it’s a different kind of feeling from when I am happy with the members and my family.” Sehun paused. “Hyung, I’m sure you’ve fantasized about kissing a girl, right? Anyway, I did. Reality is a thousand times better than fantasy. She tasted sweet, like strawberry and wine. I can't get enough of it.” Suho guffawed. “You sound like a byuntae. Doesn’t that scare her?”

 

Sehun chuckled. “Thankfully, I have some self control although its difficult to resist kissing her. But I have to because I don't want her to run away.” Both of them giggled. “Anyway, I like her so much that I think of her all the time, and always hoping that she is thinking of me too. Just the thought of her makes me feel warm,” Sehun confessed. “Well, I think she likes you too. She wouldn’t have bothered to cook for you and us, otherwise,” Suho pointed out.

 

Sehun sighed, “Why would she like me?” Suho turned to Sehun, “Huh? You are Oh Sehun from EXO. Why wouldn’t she like you?” Sehun sniggered. “Being an EXO is nothing to Sumin. She never cared for KPOP.  I think it’s to my disadvantage instead.” Suho was stumped. They always had females, fans and celebrities who were falling for them, they had their pick. But they chose not to take advantage of the situation.

 

“Dating an EXO member means, she has to keep it a secret. She can’t tell anyone that she has a boyfriend. Their dates are in secret, that is if they have time to even go on dates. Where then can they go on secret dates? Not to the movies, dinners or shopping like other couples. Is that something a girl really wants?” Sehun stated. “Since I told her that we are a couple, almost 6 weeks ago, we haven’t been on a date. I’ve only picked her up from Busan. Since then, I’ve only seen her when I went to the café. Am I really the hotshot that girls want to date? The true reality of dating me ..” he lamented. Listening to Sehun, Suho acknowledged quietly.

 

“I’m so scared she will realise that being with me, she is short changing herself. We just started this relationship. I should be showering her with attention, but what have I done. Nothing except show my face for a couple of minutes, texting and chatting with her. I probably won’t date me,” Sehun chuckled bitterly. “I always look forward to seeing her or speaking to her.. but hyung, at the same time, I’m often on the edge, fearing that she’ll tell me to forget about it, that she doesn’t want to be with me. That she rather be alone. I.. “ Sehun choked.

 

Suho put his arms around Sehun. He felt Sehun’s pain and his insecurity. This maknae always has a soft heart and Suho was unsure what to do. His pragmatic mind told him that Sehun should break it off early before he gets even more invested in the relationship, to save the heart pain later if she did leave him.  But he felt that Sehun has probably crossed the bridge, he was already in love with Sumin. The insecurity is because Sehun is unsure whether Sumin felt the same way.

 

A couple of nights before the start of a series of SMTown concerts, Suho approached Sehun. “We should finish everything shortly. There will be a briefing though. So, I’m not sure it’ll end before the café close. But it should be soon after. In case, you want to see Sumin.” Sehun gratefully hugged Suho and quickly walked out of the room to call Sumin. Sumin agreed to wait at a 24 hour café nearby.

 

They drove to Han River. Holding hands, they walked along the park, enjoying each other presence. There were more people at the park that night, so they walked silently further along the park until they found a section which was empty. They sat on the ground near the river.

 

“Are you cold?” Sehun asked. Sumin shook her head, her face, lighted up by the moonlight, was smiling. She was delighted to be with him. She had missed him a lot. Sehun put his arm around her shoulder, holding her closer to him, to give her the added warmth as the night was cold. With the other hand, he cupped her cheek, slowly caressing it as he gazed into her eyes. “I missed you so much,” he whispered. Sumin’s eyes twinkled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter