The First Kiss

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sumin watched KBS Gayo for the first time, wanting to see Sehun on stage. She thought EXO performance was slick with the inclusion of dramatization. And Sehun danced extremely well. “Their hard work paid off.  That was fantastic. And Sehun looked amazing when he danced,” she told herself. 

 

After EXO performance, Sumin let the show continued playing on TV while she looked through the pages of a magazine where Sehun was on the cover. She flipped the pages that contained various photo of Sehun, trying to decide her favourite. He looked so manly. She studied each photo diligently, wondering if they did any touch ups. She hadn’t been able to really study his face in real life, because the moment he stared at her, she was flustered. There were several photos that showed his abs, very taut and muscular.  Hmm.. he must have worked out a lot, Sumin thought as her face pinked slightly.

 

Her phone buzzed and she absentmindedly pick it up. A glance showed that it was a message from Sehun.

 

To Sumin

Happy New Year! I wish you are beside me.

 

 Her eyes flitted to the clock. It just past midnight. He is so sweet, she smiled.

 

To Sehun

Happy New Year!

I saw you on TV. Fantastic performance as always.

 

To Sumin

Thanks.  Chat tomorrow, it’s the finale segment.

 

Sumin turned her attention towards the tv and saw the various idol groups getting on stage to sing together. EXO group was placed beside a girl group and Sehun, who usually stood at the end of his group, was next to a girl group.  He was with s laughing and playing around with them. At the end of the finale, the guys hugged each other. Sumin smiled watching the close bond among the members. She then noticed a very pretty and y member of a girl group grabbed Sehun’s arm. Sehun turned towards her as she said something. Sehun smiled at her and they both bowed towards each other. Sumin felt her chest tightened slightly but she shook her head and decided to turn off the tv. She tossed and turned before finally falling into a restless sleep.

 

Sumin sat at the window seat of her bedroom the next morning, thinking about the articles and comments on SNS she had been reading earlier. Sehun’s interaction with Irene, the pretty girl at the finale, was also noticed by fans and there was intense speculations and comments on it. It prompted Sumin to search online for more information, the two of them had done a couple spread before which had rave reviews because of the strong chemistry. Reading the articles had left her with heavy heart.

 

Sumin’s mom knocked on her door and brought her cut fruits. She sat beside Sumin, her daughter’s hair. “How’s school? Have you heard about the scholarship result?” she asked. Sumin nodded, “Yes Omma. I did well enough to secure the scholarship for the remaining years.” Her mom beamed. “My smart and diligent baby.” Sumin shifted herself and sat closer to her mom. She leaned against her mom shoulder and put her arm around her mom’s waist.

 

“Is everything ok?” her mom asked quietly. “I’m ok. I just want my mom,” Sumin said quietly as she buried her face in her mom’s chest, seeking comfort. “Talk to Omma. Don’t bottled up whatever that’s bothering you inside. Is it a boy?” her mom asked. Sumin had been an easy child, always managing herself well. She knew what she wants and would diligently work towards it. She was self assured. But since she came home, her mom had seen her lost in thoughts. This morning, her face showed insecurity.

 

Sumin tightened her hold on her mom. Her mom had always know when things bothered her and she always shared her feelings with her mom. “Omma, I.. I think I like a guy. But I shouldn’t because I know I would hurt myself in the end.” Omma her hair softly and asked gently, “The guy doesn’t like you back?” “I think he does. His actions show he does. But, he is not the kind of person I should like. We don’t match. His lifestyle and mine are poles apart. And that, in time would hurt me,” Sumin explained. “Is he like Junho?” her mom asked. Junho was the leader of a gang that Sumin liked in high school. Sumin giggled. “No, no. He is not. This guy is a celebrity. I am a plain, homebody. How can I understand and accept his life?” Sumin’s mom was silent for a moment. She pulled away and looked at her daughter squarely in the eye. “Beyond him being a celebrity, he is first and foremost, a person. My daughter, is someone who is not only practical and pragmatic but one who doesn’t prejudge a person whether he is poor, a known gang leader or a celebrity,” her mom smiled. “Sometimes you need to trust your heart too.”

 

That afternoon, Sehun called while Sumin who was watching TV with her mom. Excusing herself, she went to her room to speak to him. “Did you just wake up?” Sumin asked. “No. I had to settle some things earlier,” Sehun answered vaguely. “Did you watch the show till it ended?” Sumin was silent for a moment, “No, I slept soon after your message.”  

 

When Sehun woke up earlier, Suho had asked him to call the manager. The manager had asked him about Irene, and if there is anything between them. Sehun had confirmed there was nothing, and that Irene had just wished him Happy New Year. He then checked the telecast, saw the interaction on the tv and saw why it could have been misinterpreted. After reading the online discussion on the matter, Sehun was worried that Sumin could have similarly misinterpreted. He would explain if asked but he was relieved that she seemed to be unaware.

 

They chatted about Sumin’s internship which was starting the next day and his plans for the free days ahead, which he said would consist of sleep, sleep and more sleep. She laughed. He was tired and catching up on his rest should be a priority before his schedule picked up again.  His rest days were for a few days before it started again at the weekend. This also meant he could not visit her yet. In the meantime, they remained connected through chats and calls.

 

During the weeks apart, Sumin followed his activities on social media and back read articles on him. It was confusing to read different views that she got from it; Sehun is known as a shy guy with his 4D personality and also a cute maknae. Sumin noted his name has also been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter