The Breakaway

My Comfort 내 위안 | Na Jaemin

THURSDAY

Seonho wakes you up from your deep sleep, saying that you are late. The clock shows that it's 6.45. Quickly you grab all your undergarments and enter the shower. You just take a quick shower and exit your room after wearing your uniform and comb your hair. You place your new camera in the bag.  Before exiting the house your mother called you to get your lunchbox. 

The bus has left so you have to run.  Upon arriving at school, you saw the students are lingering in the hallway. You walk to your class after fetching your books from the locker.

You saw Chenle is sleeping on his seat, you remembers that you still haven't apologize to him for being rude yesterday. You take a seat and look at his sleeping figure. You sigh, taking out books from your bag. But you could see a note on your desk. 

" I'm sorry , Hyeji.. Forgive me?" The note written. You could tell my the handwriting it is Chenle's. You hug his sleeping figure, can't contain your happiness. Chenle woke up and smiled, hugging you back. "I was the one at wrong, you shouldn't apologizes." You said.

"But I know you'll take time to apologize and that will make me uncomfortable." Chenle said.

During recess, you are joining the NCT maknae line. You got to save your money since Chenle brought lunchbox. His mom is a good cook and his mom has cook for the maknae line.

"Chenle-ah, would your mom care if I become her son-in-law?" Haechan jokes. Everyone laughs, we all know Chenle has got no female siblings. Chenle hit Haechan, "What nonsense" Chenle said. Suddenly, you could hear someone calling for you. Your mouth form a smile.

"Seul Min!" You beamed, you put away your chopstick and hug her. "When did you come back?" You ask her. "Last night" She smiles. 

"Aren't you going to give me a hug too?" Haechan asks jokingly but Seul Min made a comeback. "Should I give you a kiss too?" Seul Min said, making Haechan kept quiet. Haechan and SeulMin are popular for their savage attacks in NCT. 

"I need your help" Seul Min whispers to you, making you raise an eyebrow.   "I need a pad, do you have one?" She asks and you nod. "It's in my bag, go find it quickly!" You said and she thanked you.

"She's leaving already?" Jeno said. "Yeah, she has something to do."

"Gosh, Is there any more important than us?" Haechan said. You could just kept quiet as you don't want to tell the boys. "So, today practice will be right after school. Don't be tardy aye" Renjun said as he's the leader of us maknae. "Aye aye captain" All of you replied. Suddenly you remembered that you have something important to do after school.

"I maybe a bit late, I have to meet Mrs Nam. She needs to check the pictures in my camera" You said. "Did you fix them?" Jeno asks. "I um yeah, sort of.." You said, feeling guilty for lying. But Jaemin knows, you are lying but he just kept quiet. Not even a word coming out from his mouth ever since the recess start. But nobody notices it as he is always the quiet ones.

--

After school, you quickly head off to the teacher's room and see Mrs Nam. The teacher is quiet picky about pictures but when it comes to yours, she's all satisfied. Considering you are a pro on photography. "These pictures are good, Hyeji. It's a waste of talent if you just stay in the school. Why don't you go to the art school? I could find you a way, if you want" Mrs Nam said. 

You were taken aback. It's as if she knows that you've been offered to an arts school. 

"Ah, it's okay Mrs Nam. It would be a burden to you" You reject politely. "Are you sure then?" She asks you and you nod. 

After you are dismiss, you quickly run to NCT base, not wanting the members to wait any longer. It is 4 p.m., an hour after the supposed meeting time. The other maknaes line went to the base right after school finished at 3 p.m. You enters the base, just to see the members are not practicing, but they are all sitting down, facing the door, where you are standing now. You felt confuse. "Sorry, I told Jeno that you guys don't have to wait for me.." You said, standing awkwardly in front of the door.

Most of the members are looking at you. Seul Min stands up and walks to you with a paper on her hand. " I thought we are best friend that you would tell me everything! But you broke my trust now." She slams the paper on your chest. You take it and take a look. 

It's the application form for the art school. You your lips. Seul Min must have seen it when she take a pad from your bag. "I could explain this.." You said, not confident.

"You know that all of us have been waiting for this competition right? Especially when you participate after your long hiatus. But you are taking the competition like a small matter to you. Why are you even coming for practice if you are moving on the competition day?" Seul Min eyes are teary now which immediately made yours teary too, you felt guilty for not telling them sooner.

" I'm so disappointed with you, Yoo Hyeji" Seul Min's voice cracks and tears finally escapes. She walks away.  You look at the other members, all of them are not looking at you, they are all trying to hide their tears. You look  at Jaemin but he's not even looking at you. You felt very guilty, " I-I'm sorry" You said before running out from the base.

You run back home, slamming your room door. You climbed on your bed crying.

It's all over, your friendship with the members, which you treasure the most. You look at the application form. 'Should I go?' You take a deep breath, trying to calm yourself.

Seonho called you out for dinner but you didn't come out, you are too heart broken to even look at Seonho. You wanted to blame it all to Seonho but you can't as he is just trying to support your dream. You take your phone and called someone.

"Dareum-ah, would you mind to take me for a ride?" 

----

You take your bag and walk out, without even greeting your parents or tell them where you are going. Seonho who's watching a basketball game looks at the door which you slam. 

Dareum smiles after seeing you but notice your swollen eyes. He pass you the helmet and help you with the helmet. "Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere, somewhere peaceful" You said, not looking at him. You ride on the bike and as soon as the bike moves, you place your head on Dareum's back and cried again. It's too upsetting to think that your friendship with NCT is ruined. Dareum knows you are crying as his shirt is wetting.  He sighs, he dislike seeing you so sad.

Dareum stops the bike in front of a building and hold your hand. He smiles before taking off your helmet. He pulls you in the building and it's an expensive hotel.You are shock to see the building.

Dareum then takes you to the elevator, hitting on the highest level button. When the door opens your eyes widen at the scenery. It's the rooftop of the building and it has a beautiful park. The lights make it more beautiful. It has a hammock between the trees and even a place to chill.

It has a hammock between the trees and even a place to chill

Dareum holds your hand and pulls you to the park

Dareum holds your hand and pulls you to the park. You take a look around.

"Woah~ it's so beautiful. How do you know about this place?" You asks him. "It's my family business. Shhh you must keep it a secret um?" He said placing his index finger on his lips. You nod. He pulls you to the hammock and sit next to you. The swings are pretty big. 

"DId you enjoy the ride?" Dareum asks which you simply nods because you couldn't focus on the ride.

Dareum took out his phone to play a relaxing song. Its One More Chance by Super Junior. Dareum knows you are in an unstable mind so he let you to cool down. It was very silent and the thing that only could be heard is the music. Slowly, Dareum swings the hammock. 

A few minutes pass and Dareum decided to break the ice. "It's late now. Aren't you going back?" You didn't respond to him. Dareum could feel that you want to stay here longer and he just let you be. 

Suddenly, you could hear someone barging in. Both of you stand up, looking at the person. It's Seonho. He's panting like crazy, he didn't say anything but he runs to Dareum. You screamed as Seonho throws a punch on Dareum's cheek. Dareum fell on the floor, his lips are bleeding. You are very shocked, you look at Seonho.

Seonho grabs a hold on your wrist very tight. "Don't ever be near this guy" Seonho said while gritting his teeth. Seonho pulls you away but before you could exit the rooftop, both of you heard Dareum, "I thought you hate her." Dareum said, trying to get on his feet. Seonho turns around, "Yeah, but after I know what exactly you are planning, I change my mind." Seonho said. You are confuse and your eyes are begging for explaination.

"Ya Yoo Hyeji, don't you know it was all along Seonho's plan to get you move? He begged me to ask my uncle for an application for you. But I just play along after I know that you'll participate in the upcoming dance  competition. Getting rid of you, will bring your members down." Dareum smirks. Your jaw drops in disbelief. Seonho clenches his fist, rolling his eyes as he's annoyed.

You felt it again, the tears. You storm off from the building, leaving Seonho behind. You cried while getting down using the stairs. You quickly hailed a taxi when you exit the building. After stating your destination, you couldn't hold your tears back. It is so sad. How's your life suddenly become like this. 

Your treasured best friends, and a brother just turn their backs on you.

You turn on the lights of the base, you are not going to sleep at home today as you know that you'll meet Seonho at home. The base is empty and clean. You look at the mirror, it reflect your state now, messy hair and swollen red eyes. You tried to form a little smile to cheer yourself. You sigh, walking towards the cupboard and take out a blanket. You drag it and laid on the couch. 

The base used to be very noisy with the cheers and loud music of the members and somehow, it felt empty tonight. You sigh, you just wanted to sleep and erase all the memory.

FRIDAY

Your phone's alarm clock went off. It's 6.00 a.m. , you wake up as you sigh. You have to go home to change to school uniform. You fold your blanket and fetch your bag. Before you could exit the base, you saw a girl school uniform hanging on your locker's door. You walk nearer to the locker and saw the note.

"I'm sorry for what happen. I know you probably don't want to see me, so I personally decided to send your uniform here. Don't be late to school, and don't skip breakfast, okay?" -Seonho

You take your clothes and enter the bathroom in the base. You switch off all the lights in the base and went out to grab a coffee. You just need to freshen up yourself for what happened yesterday. It will probably be a hard day to see the members at school today. You sigh, ordering your favourite hot vanilla latte. 

Arriving at school, you couldn't see any members , even Chenle but Dareum is there. Dareum looks at you as you walk to your table. 

 But, both of you didn't even try to interect. You are too scared, and he probably felt betrayed.

The recess bell rings, you could hear the other maknae line laughing on their way, waiting for Chenle. They noticed you are still in the class and their laughter dies. You could hear Chenle sighs, he stood up and walk to the members and went to the canteen. You notice Jaemin stayed a while to look at you. But soon he left, leaving you alone in the class. Suddenly, you don't feel hungry anymore. You lost your appetite. You stared down on your skirt. 

It's worst, because they have never tried to let you explain that you haven't decided to move. Your tears drop on the skirt. It has been too much for you to take. You wipe away your tears when someone taps your shoulder lightly. You turn, she's a classmate of yours, Jiyeon "Hey, I've notice you have been feeling down. You probably need this more than me." The girl hand you a wrapped sandwich and a banana milk.

"Eat it, you'll feel better. I always eat whenever I'm sad." The girl smiles and walk out from the class. You smiled a bit, realising how someone else notice that you are sad. You unwrapped the sandwich and bite on it. It taste so delicious.  

After the school ends, you quickly pack your bag and exit the school, not wanting to meet any members. Unlucky for you, you met Taeyong in the lift. He was holding a garbage bag. He saw you, and smile a little. Taeyong has always loves you like his little sister. "How are you?" Taeyong asks. You smile a bit too and nodded. "Fine.. Just fine" Taeyong nodded and excuse himself. You quickly run back home and lock the door. 

You saw Seonho in the kitchen, and he was shock too. Soon when he realises that it was just you, he smiles.  He has not registered in any school and that was why he is always home. "I cook you kimbap. Let's eat." Seonho said, but you ignore him.  You enter your room and quickly take a shower. After the refreshing shower, you could hear Seonho knocking on the door. Seonho has always knock on your door in a different way than others. "Your meal is in front of your door. I cook rolled eggs too. Make sure you eat, you didn't eat dinner yesterday" He said.

After making sure that he's gone, you open your door and pick up the tray. Seonho has make a tea for you too. 

SATURDAY

You thank your teacher that gives you so many homework as it is weekend, you could distract yourself from the sadness. Your mum has constantly checking on you, making sure you are okay. Your mum is worried that you lock yourself in your room. You just gave a lame excuse that you have many homework. You check your phone, there's not even a call or message from the members. You sigh. Suddenly, a message comes in.

"Let's meet" -Jaemin

 

18