Chewy

#28

I woke up with a splitting headache, I didn't drink last night so it was probably because of the stress I experienced. My body didn't feel like getting up at all, even though my mind really wanted to. My eyes wouldn't open properly and my arms and legs weren't responding well, I was hungover. I struggled to get up from my bed, pulling the sheets off in the process. I stood on my weak legs and forced my eyes to adjust to the blinding light. I wander how the girl was doing, did she sleep well? Did she spend all night tossing and turning in the foreign bed, trying to make sense of everything that was happening to her and possibly missing her old life on the streets? I wish it was the former. I wanted to check on her now, but I needed a bath first. I was one of those people that was fond of baths and super conscious of their hygiene.

I stepped into the shower cubicle after taking off my clothes, being reminded of what happened in the other bathroom once again. Images of last night flashed inside my head, the sight of her body, the chaos that ensued when I tried to turn the shower on, her face so close to mine. Before I knew it, my little buddy itself started waking up. "Goddammit" I cursed and the shower head.

After taking my shower, I stepped out of the room and wiped myself clean. I grabbed a fresh black t-shirt and a pair of shorts. It was refreshing to wear this after having to sleep in my work clothes last night. I stepped outside the room, getting hit by the cool air of the house in the process, and walked towards the room where the girl was sleeping. I stopped in front of the door and held the handle gently, I gave a little knock on the door before twisting the handle and slightly opening the door. I stuck my head inside to find the girl sleeping comfortably on me bed. She was lying on her right side, facing the door. Her head was rested comfortably on the pillow and her right arm was lodged underneath it. She had the blanket wrapped tightly around her body, her slim figure forming an s-line lump on the covers.

I chuckled at how fast she adjusted to the bed. She was now sleeping on it like a baby, she was wearing the blue pajamas as well, it complimented her dark brown hair really well. I decided to just leave her be for now, since she looked so comfortable, and make breakfast. I went down to the kitchen to prepare our food. I decided to make bacon and pancakes with some eggs on the side. I opened the fridge to retrieve the frozen bacon and two eggs. I reached to open the cabinet above me to get the pancake mix and grabbed a bowl for the pancake mix. I placed the bacon on a frying pan and let it fry while I made the pancake mix. I poured the mix into a separate pan and flipped the bacon on its side, the sweet aroma of frying bacon and pancake hitting my nostrils making me high from the scent. I grabbed two plates, one big one for the bacon and pancakes and one for the eggs. When the bacon and pancakes were done, I placed them into the big plate and put two eggs into the same pan that I used to fry the bacon to add a little bacon taste to the eggs. As I was frying the eggs, I heard footsteps slowly descending the stairs behind me. I turned around and saw a glimpse of her face looking at me, before it quickly disappeared followed by the sound of her feet running up the stairs.

"Hey, wait!" I said and followed her up the stairs. I got up the stairs in a matter of seconds but she had a head start. As soon as I reached the second the floor, the girl had already locked herself in my room. I tried twisting the handle but it was locked.

"Hey!" I knocked on the door while twisting the door handle even if it was useless.

"Hey what's wrong?" I asked through the door while tapping it with my palm. She didn't reply, nor did any sound come through the door.

"Open the door please" I said. I didn't hear anything from the other side which only irritated me further.

"Come on..." I sighed. She always likes making things hard, I felt my hot temper rising up again. The blood building up in my body and rising to my head bringing me close to the edge. I tried my best to hold my temper back before I could snap. I let out a loud sigh before letting go of the door, I didn't want to scare her. It would only make things worse. I dropped down on the wall right next to the door, I sat on the floor with my back against the wall. I was so full of angst and I didn't know why. 

Normally, I would be calm and collected in situations like this, but she made me feel differently. I couldn't help but think about her getting scared or panicking, finding it hard to adjust to a place that wasn't familiar to her. I knew what it felt like, I experienced the anxiety during my first day staying with Mr. Yoo. You find yourself in a new house, a new environment and you weren't familiar with it. Everything looks and feels different, you aren't used to it and you can't help but feel uncomfortable and scared as you start longing for your sweet home that you were so used to.

I suddenly started doubting if picking her off the streets was the right thing to do, maybe she misses her old life, maybe she misses the streets that she had grown to. But I couldn't help myself, I felt so bad for her and for some reason I felt like I... NEEDED to help her. I felt like it was the right thing to do, like I know her so well. I felt like if she could speak, she would tell me to help her. But was it really the right thing to do? Was it for the best? I started regretting my decision already.

I suddenly heard the door creak beside me, I turned my head to see that she was standing on the door way looking down as she towered over me.

"Finally, you're out" I said breathing a sigh of relief, maybe I don't exactly have to take her back yet.

"Why'd you run away?" I asked worriedly. She looked down on the floor and fiddled with her fingers, avoiding eye contact with me. I'm not even irritated anymore, I was just glad she was finally out and that I could see that she's okay.

"Breakfast's ready" I said and led her down the stairs. We walked down the steps, with me in the front but as I arrived on the first floor, I found my eggs burning in the frying pan.

"!" I yelled and ran for the frying pan. I groaned as I grabbed the frying pan and dumped the charred eggs into the trash can. "Tsk Tsk, what a waste" I sighed. I decided to make another batch of eggs but, as I opened the fridge, found that there were no more eggs left. Forgot to buy new ones... AGAIN. I decided to just let it slide and just eat breakfast since I was hungry and the food was getting cold. I turned to go to the dining table.

"Sorry, I guess we won't be having eggs today. My ba-" I was cut off when I saw her already digging into my pancakes, but what really surprised me was the fact that she was using spoon and fork. She really knew how to use them and she made it look really elegant, she did it even better than I do.

"I didn't... know you could-" I stopped myself from finishing my sentence, in fear that I might offend her, and just sat down on the opposite chair. I grabbed a pair of utensils of my own and started eating my bacon and pancakes, a little embarrassed at how good she was at using a spoon and fork compared to me. We sat in front of each other digging into our breakfast. She ate much faster than I did, she must be really hungry, good thing I made a lot of food or else they probably wouldn't be enough. It was heartwarming to see that she was eating well and that she enjoyed my food. She took a slice of pancake into followed by half a bite of bacon at the same time, then swallowing it with milk.

"Quite an appetite you got there" I said, she didn't even bother to look up at me since she was too busy digging into her food, it was funny how someone can look so elegant then completely turn into the opposite in a matter of seconds. I cringed in embarrassment when she didn't even pay attention to me. There was something about the way she acts that makes it so hard for me to get along with her, I don't know if it's because of her timid nature or maybe she was just a natural savage. Somehow that personality of her's I kinda liked because it keeps me intrigued in her and she kept the place far from boring, I like people who are not boring but if she was going to live in my house we were gonna have to get along. Come to think of it, I don't even know her name.

"What's your name?" I asked her, that seems to have gotten her attention. She stopped in her movements, her eyes fixating on a blank space in front of her. She dropped the spoon and fork and leaned back on the chair. Her eyes avoiding mine.

"Well?" I asked. Her eyes shifted left and right while she slowly opened to say something. I have never heard her speak a single word, the only thing I know is how she sounds like when she screams (whut?). She reached the top of her breath, this was it she was gonna tell me, I was going to hear her speak her first word. Instead of an answer, she only belched and returned to her food. I mentally facepalmed and groaned in my seat, I swear she is the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with. You can make me take a chemistry test any day and I would pass, but if you gave me this girl for my finals, I would probably never graduate. I would spend the next few years of my life crying at home at why I couldn't understand this girl, I don't even know what to call her.

"Look, if you're going to live in my house then you're gonna have to tell me your name" the controlling side of my personality took over, I don't really want to be harsh to her but she was making it very difficult for me to stay nice.

"You gonna speak or what?" The tone of my voice changed. I was losing more of my patience as every minute passed by. "Maybe you want me to send you back to the streets"

"Chewy" she said, her words muffled as she munched on the pancake. Her eyes were fixated on the plate. Chewy? That's her name?

"Chewy?" I asked. I don't know if that was her name, or if she was talking about her food. Either way, I guess I'm just going to have to call her that for now.

"Well ok, Chewy. I'm Jun" I said and reached out my hand to her. She stared at it for a while before fixing her eyes on mine. I gave her a stern look to show her that I was serious. She slowly reached her hand to grab mine, I lightly squeezed her hand, feeling her warm, soft skin and shook it once. I flustered at the contact but quickly regained my composure.

"Look, if you're going to live in my house. There are going to have to be a few rules that you're going to have to follow. I will tell you what they are and show you around the house after we are done with breakfast so please try your best to behave, understand?" I said. Chewy looked at me with a slightly confused look before setting her utensils down on the plate, she was done.

"Got all of that?" I asked as I furrowed my eyebrow. Chewy opened again to speak.

"Uh-" before she could form a single word, she stopped. Her eyes widened and she clenched her stomach with both of her arms. Her face contorted into an expression of discomfort. She winced at the pain, grinding her teeth while bending forwards into the table. Her stomach was killing her. She got up from the table and ran towards the stairs. I couldn't do anything but just stare as she ran up the steps, quite like she did earlier. I sighed as I begrudgingly followed her tracks again and headed towards the bathroom in my room.

I arrived in my room to see that it was dark. Did she go this way? I the lights to find my room empty. My eyes turned to the bathroom door and decided to make sure if she was there. I approached the door and grasped it with my hand. I twisted it only to find it unable to do so; she was inside. I didn’t even bother to knock on the door, instead I leaned and placed my ear against the wooden surface. I could hear the sound of running water inside, I chuckled when I heard her groan. I don’t know why I found it funny, but I did. It was cute to be honest. I turned around and shook my head while chuckling as I made my way downstairs. As I arrived at the breakfast table, I grabbed all of the dishes, including Chewy’s unfinished plate, and placed them on the sink. I stored the leftovers in plastic containers to refrigerate them and washed all the plates in the sink. As I was halfway through, I suddenly heard my phone ringing. I dried both of my hands and checked to see who it was. It was dad. I turned off the faucet and used a towel to completely dry my hands off. I grabbed the phone to answer it.

“Hello, Dad?” I said,

“Jun, my son, how is your job hunt going?” My dad said sounding like he was expecting some good news.

“Haven’t found one yet, dad” I replied.

“Hm? How come?” My dad replied, his tone changing.

“Well, I haven’t gotten lucky yet I guess” I replied.

“The sooner you will be able to find one, the better” Dad replied in his usual, monotone lingo.

“It’s ok. Maybe you will be able to find one today” Dad said.

“I’m not job hunting today, Dad” I replied.

“How come? What are you doing today?” Dad asked.

“I-uhm...: I stopped myself before I could finish my sentence. I can’t tell him that I was taking care of a homeless person. What will he say? What will he think of me? Will he still give me his inheritance? He’ll probably disown me and send me to the streets to live with her.

“Well?” My dad continued. I didn’t know what to say.

“Are you sick?”

“Yes! I’m very sick. I think I’m coming down with a fever. I don’t really feel like going out today” I played along as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

"Oh, sorry to hear that son. Get some rest and hopefully you will be able to get a job soon" Dad bought my act.

"Will do, dad"

"Get well soon, love you"

"Love you too, dad" I said and hung up the phone. I set the device aside and finished washing the remaining dishes. I placed all the dishes in the dish rack to dry and went up to check on Chewy, I wander how she's holding up. I arrived once again on the second floor, I walked down the corridor leading to my room and I could see that the bathroom door was open from where I was, 'she's done' I chuckled at the thought. I arrived at my front door that was slightly ajar, I pushed it aside to reveal Chewy lying on my bed with the blankets wrapped around her. I was slightly worried, I approached the bed and leaned over to check on her. Her face displayed a good deal of discomfort, she was slightly shaking underneath the covers. She also had her arms wrapped around her stomach. I placed my hand on her forehead to feel that she was burning. She's probably not used to eating this kind of food and ate too much for her body to handle. She was coming down with a fever and had a major stomach ache. It wasn't a nice thing to see her like this. I didn't like it; I didn't like it one bit. The way she shook under those covers, the way her eyes were shut tightly, the way she moved. It bothered me a lot. I decided to run to the nearest store and buy her some medicine.

"I'll be back, don't worry" I said before grabbing my coat and leaving my room. I wrapped the coat, which contained my wallet, around my body and exited through the front door. I ran a few blocks towards the nearest drugstore, blazing through people not caring if they look at me as I only cared about one thing. I slightly busted through the front door causing the cashier to stare at me for a while as I searched through the shelves. I passed through the food section and arrived at the medicine isle. I finally found the medicine and bought a whole pack along with a bottle of water. I rushed to the cashier, thankfully the store was nearly empty, and payed for the medicine.

As the cashier was doing her thing, I noticed a big freezer next to the counter. I looked through the glass to find that it was full of popsicles. They caught my interest as the wrapping looked very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. They were assorted in different flavors and colors, pink for strawberry, green for melon, yellow for mango and white for vanilla. I turned my head slightly trying to read the label.

"Feli-"

"Here you are, sir!" The cashier startled me before I could finish.

"How much are these?" I asked her.

"10 won each" she replied. Pretty cheap, how convenient.

"Ok, I'll take 4" I said and bought one for every flavor. The cashier packed them all in a paper bag and I grabbed them before running back home. I made it back in 5 minutes. I rushed through the door and ran up the stairs, nearly tripping myself in the process. My heart was racing due to the adrenaline and my concern. I ran into the room, stopping myself when I saw Chewy sleeping soundly on the bed. I walked over to her slowly, trying not to wake her up. I placed the paper bag on the bedside table before sitting down on the side of the bed. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder and gently shook it. I didn't want to wake her up since she looked so comfortable sleeping and she'll probably just feel the pain again when she wakes up. But she has to take the medicine or the sickness will get worse. I shook her gently, watching how her slim arm rocked back and forth and how gracefully her head rested on the pillow. She slowly opened her eyes looking forward before fixating them on mine. I once again felt the warm presence that I always get whenever I see those majestic orbs of hers, they always entrance me.

"Take this" I said and handed her the medicine tablet. She struggled to sit up on the bed, her face making it clear, and took the tablet from my hand. I was surprised but thankful that she was cooperating for once. I handed her the water bottle after she placed the tablet in and she drank the water to swallow the tablet. After taking the medicine, she immediately lied back down to sleep. I just watched as she made herself comfortable in my bed. I decided to stay for a while to watch over her. I don't know why, but I really liked being around her. Even though she's a pain in the most of the time, it was worth it if I get to feel this weird feeling at the end of the day and to think that she has barely even said anything to me. Her presence was just so familiar even though we've just met. I didn't know who she was but her presence wasn't foreign to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last update for the year. Hope you like it, guys!

Omg technically I'll be 20 in Korea next year, I'm getting old :( 

It's been over a year since I've been here but I've only pubished my first story last April. So far, it's been an awesome year thanks to you guys. I've always loved writing but I didn't know what to do with my stories. I'm glad that I found this place and that I am able to share my stories with you guys ^^

Happy New Year! My lovely readers :)

- YGD