Lies pt. 2

#28

"Am I interrupting something?" I turn my head towards the voice that had barged into the room without warning. Still recovering from sleep, I couldn't make out the owner of said voice, all I knew was that it was a large male. The light from the outside shone brightly at his back creating a holy aura around him and further obscuring my view. I rubbed my eyes to improve my vision, only to find him gone from the door as soon as I opened my eyes.

"Looks like you've had a good sleep" he tells me sarcastically. That moment was when I started to recognize the intruder, the sarcastic tone in his voice was something I could not just get rid of. I scoffed before turning around to find Minjun standing on the other side of the bed. He sets down a binder on the bedside table and stares intensively at Chewy. I wasn't exactly comfortable with the way he eyed her from head to toe, it felt violating to my eyes. But I knew that I had to control myself as, unfortunately, Minjun was Chewy's assigned doctor.

I gritted my teeth behind my closed lips, I diverted my attention to Chewy who was lying peacefully on her bed. I tried my best to hide my disdain for the other man inside the room as I didn't want any trouble, but when Minjun lifted up his hand and placed it on Chewy's forehead, I wasn't able to hold back my mouth.

"What are you doing?" I said harshly, mentally slapping myself for saying such embarrassing words. Of course, I knew what he was doing, he was checking if Chewy's temperature was normal. I wasn't used to seeing someone touching Chewy, not even myself. She was too pure for any kind of skinship.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I know I must be violating something so intricate." Minjun looks at me with feigned agony on his face. I gritted my teeth once more at how sarcastic his voice sounded.

"But with all due respect, if you want her to recover then I suggest leaving me to operate my procedures in peace" Minjun tells me. I had no choice but to accept defeat and begrudgingly sit obediently in my seat. I would have left, but I wasn't going to leave Chewy alone here with Minjun.

"Don't worry, my hands will be careful around your girlfriend" I snapped my eyes forward at the way he said 'girlfriend'.

"She's not my girlfriend" I tell him, gripping tightly on my seat to suppress myself.

"Oh really?" Minjun's eyes snap wider behind his specs. "Then why so uptight?" Minjun smirks at me and places a finger on Chewy's forehead. My eyes double in size and magically stick to Minjun's finger like a magnet. He trails his finger down her forehead and down her face, my eyes watching on unable to look away. Minjun dangerously trails his index finger across Chewy's lips causing a sweat to break out on my nape. His fingers eventually land on the bottom of her chin.

Minjun lifts her head upwards, exposing her long slender neck. The light shone brightly on her skin as I looked on. I increased the grip onto the edges of my seat that my knuckles start to weight from the force. I gulped as Minjun places his hand on the delicate skin, something he must have noticed since he chuckles and finally let's go of her.

"I'm impressed, her temperature has been normal since yesterday." Minjun smiles in satisfaction and starts to jot down on his paper. I release my grip on the chair, seeing how red my fingertips have become from the vice grip I had applied just a few seconds ago. I hadn't noticed that I was breathing so intensely after having to watch Minjun run his filthy hands over Chewy. I drink from the bottle of water right next to me, taking in big gulps to quench my parched throat and to, hopefully, calm my breathing some more. I released myself from the bottle with little to no effect on my breathing.

"Relax, I was simply checking her condition" Minjun whines with a little too much empathy in his voice. I turn my head towards him, giving him a glare, which causes him to break out into a small laughter. I bit my lip at the sound of his voice, tears starting to form in the corners of my eyes. Minjun was toying with me and I was falling for his games like sheep to the slaughter.

"So, if she isn't your girlfriend, then what is your relation towards her?" Minjun asks without taking his eyes off his documents. My tongue was too tied in messy bundles for me to answer, moreover I just really didn't want to talk to this poor excuse of a man. But I knew if I wasn't careful then I could be exposed and possibly never be allowed near Chewy ever again.

"I mean you two must have some sort of relationship intimate enough for you to be able to bring her here" he says. I pursed my lips together and swallowed a lump in my throat as I thought of what to do to protect the both of us.

"She's my cousin" I tell him. Fourth

"Oh... you don't look anything alike" Minjun says as he lays his eyes on Chewy's sleeping face once more, not bothering to look at mine which was splendid since I probably would have ripped his face apart if he did.

"She's a distant relative" I say, keeping my voice monotone in fear that if I didn't hold it back, it would come off as a full-on scream.

"How long have you known each other?" Minjun asks. I look over at Chewy and start to realize that, I barely know anything about her.

"I've known her since I was very young" I tell him. Minjun finally turns his head towards me and analyze me as if he knew I was lying. I felt throat start to fill up with bile at the smug smirk that he was giving me. I somehow hoped that he would buy it a least a little bit.

"What's her favorite food then?" Minjun asked. It was like asking a criminal what kind of crime he committed since Chewy barely ate anything, which is why she is here in the first place.

"She doesn't have one. She's not a picky eater" I tell him. My eyes started to wander all over the place as everything I told him wasn't true at all.

"Interesting. I have a silly question..." Minjun starts as he removes his glasses and places them in his side pocket. I held my breath and stared him in the eyes as I waited for his question.

"You don't happen to specialize in medicine, don't you?" Minjun smirks at me. I felt a tingle run down my spine as his words rang inside my head. I have no idea how he knows that I'm a medicine graduate. I swallowed another lump that had been forming inside my throat before answering back.

"How did you know that?" I asked him. Minjun tilted his head to the side as if he was in disbelief. But in all honesty, I was the one who was in more disbelief here.

"I read your resume. You're one of the applicants, here right?" My eyes snap up to his words. He knows I'm an applicant? Then that means he must know that I skipped work yesterday. Is that why he has been onto me this whole time? I don't even know how to explain myself to this guy. This whole time we had been playing a game of hide and seek. Minjun's been trying to break me since he entered this room and I've been trying to hide from his advances. But it looks like he might have found my hiding spot. I felt like a hunted animal.

"Y-Yeah... that's right" I mentally cursed myself for stuttering. Minjun must be loving it to see me all nervous and sweaty.

"Then I'd like you to observe her and tell me what's not right" he orders me. I dread at the realization that this man could potentially be one of the people I work under when I finally start to work in this place. I hated taking orders from this man, I will never take orders from this man, but it looks like I had no choice. Minjun has got me in the palm of his hands and if I didn't behave then it could jeopardize my job which means my dad and everyone else would find out about Chewy.

I gave Minjun a slight glare before turning my attention towards the sleeping girl on the bed. She looked so peaceful and perfect sleeping on the white sheets like a slumbering princess. I couldn't even begin to imagine Chewy having any flaws since everything about her seemed so proper and pure all the time. Her black locks look like they had been gently combed into place, her white hospital gown was completely intact and wrinkle free, save for the small lump where her chest was.

Then I travel to her face, so serene and untouched. She had been sleeping like a baby ever since she got here, even having better sleep than she ever did in my place which made me start to lose all my confidence the moment I realized that. I could not see a single flaw on Chewy's perfect body when i realized that Minjun must mean something is not right with the equipment. I take my time to observe the setup, it didn't take me long to notice that she was almost out of insulin.

"Insulin's almost empty" I say, staring at the nearly empty insulin pack hanging just above Chewy.

"Brilliant, now fetch me a pack" Minjun says, my head immediately snaps towards his direction.

"What?!" I say in almost complete disbelief, is he ordering me around now?

"Oh Jun, you know I would fetch it myself, but someone has to take care of your 'cousin' here" Minjun says with a feigned look of innocence on his face. I dreaded the way he puts on emphasis on 'cousin' as if it was the biggest lie in the world.

"I can take care of her myself" I tell him.

"Oh then, why did she end up here in the first place?" Minjun sasses. I felt all the blood in my body rush towards my head, feeling my cheeks burn like crazy. My heart kickstarted itself to an aggressive pace like a car engine. I found myself rising from my seat and making my way towards Minjun's direction and staring him dead in the eyes. If I didn't know any better, I would have grabbed the collar of shirt and choked him lifeless.

"What did you just say?" I said in a hushed but exerting tone. Minjun kept the smirk on his face prevalent, in fact it appears to have even grow a few inches across his face, almost into a full-blown smile. I felt the veins of my neck start to choke me as my hands curled themselves into fists and shook violently at my sides.

I was almost ready to beat Minjun's face in if I was dumb enough to do so. Minjun stared down at my fists before looking back to my eyes, his smirk going on to a full-blown smile now which only increased the pressure on my blood.

"Careful now medicine boy, your cousin might not be able to recover if you do that" Minjun says. I held in so much hatred that the sweat in my back had doubled in amount and my lungs had begun to hurt from the force I was exerting. I really wanted to murder the man right in front of me, he had stepped too far into me and Chewy's lives. But I had no choice, Minjun had a point. I had no choice but to accept defeat and turn my head away from him before I do something drastic.

"Good, now fetch me that insulin pack will you" Minjun says. I gave him one last glare before walking towards the door. I can't believe I was about to leave him alone with Chewy inside this very room, my conscience tried its best to convince me that Minjun was completely harmless and would help Chewy recover quickly, but my mind wasn't buying it. Every time I heard his voice or saw that smug smirk of his, my blood would boil, and it would cause me to do things I wouldn't normally do.

I am already aware of what can happen when I let myself go and one of those things caused Chewy to end up confined to a hospital bed. I gave her one last look and let out a lengthy sigh before stepping out of the room.


I found myself wandering the endless hallways of the hospital, going through winding corners and tight hallways in search of the insulin pack that Minjun had asked me to retrieve. It had been half an hour since I left the room and I was already considering just going back and forgetting about the insulin, but then Chewy's health would be put on the line if I did that.

I found myself getting lost in the endless corners of the hospital, unable to find the storage room where they keep the insulin. Apparently, I have not familiarized myself with my surrounding that much since all I've done was stay in Chewy's room and watch her all day.

I knew to myself that if I wanted to be just like my dad, I had to be familiar with the structure of a hospital, but all the events that have transpired have caused me to lose my focus and my confidence both in my career and in myself.

As I was about to turn around a corner, I suddenly hear a female voice coming from the other end. I couldn't make it out at first, but I kept my guard up, for the voice was only getting more familiar as I walked closer to it. It was a female, a deep and wholesome voice of a woman that I couldn't help but think, it sounded too familiar. Only a few seconds later, I hear another female voice accompany the first, this one I immediately recognized.

"I tried calling him, ma'am. He isn't picking up" the bubbly voice of Chaeyoung sprang across the empty hallway, or at least it seemed empty as I could not hear any other signs of life, but it could just be my paranoia.

"He hasn't shown up for his first day of work, it would be a waste if he would just disappear like that, he had potential" the huskier of the two voices mentioned.

"Have you gotten into contact with him recently?" she asked.

"I-I haven't..." the other one stuttered nervously and that was it, that small stutter was all I needed to figure it out. The owner of said voice was none other than Chaeyoung, the nurse that I had encountered earlier. Her distinctive voice was hard for me not to recognize and I was far too familiar with the reason why she had stuttered, it was all because she did encounter me very recently and I had begged her with my life not to tell Wendy about my whereabouts and speaking of the devil, if Chaeyoung was the owner of said voice then the owner of the other one would be none other than...

"Are you sure?" Wendy asked in English. It's as if the universe couldn't make it any clearer. I suddenly hear the footsteps coming to a stop, signaling that the two had stopped moving, silence filled the room once more, an awfully painful silence that was louder than an explosion. I pondered fleeing from the situation but one footstep from me would mean a loud thud in this dangerously silent hallway. I was too scared to do anything, even a breath was too much for me.

I waited anxiously for Chaeyoung's answer as she seemed to be at a loss for words, I could only imagine what it must be like being forced to lie and hold your ground while staring into the face of the tiny but terrible Ms. Son. I leaned my head against the wall and pressed my palms against the cold, hard surface, mentally begging Chaeyoung to think of something to cover it up. Anything, just anything...

"Yes, I'm sure" Chaeyoung said firmly.

"Alright..." Wendy let out a sigh of defeat. I found myself doing the same thing, although mine was a sigh of great relief.

"What time is it? It must be the end of my shift now, is there anything else that needs to be taken care of?" Wendy asks as she lets out a husky yawn.

"Patient 412 just needs an insulin replacement, I think I can take care of it" Chaeyoung says. Patient 412, could that be Chewy?

"Okay, after that I'll be back in my office if you need me." Wendy says, fading footsteps soon follow afterwards signaling that she was heading towards the other direction. I was just about to give up one everything and just book it back to Chewy's room, seeing this as the perfect opportunity to do so when I suddenly remember what Chaeyoung said. The insulin, maybe I could find some answers.

I hear another pair of footsteps approach my direction. Fearing for my life, I held my breath as tight as I could, gripping onto the wall tightly and waiting for my impending doom to arrive. I expected Wendy to burst out of the corner and yell at my face, tell me I'm fired and kick me out of the building with her tiny frame. Instead, I see Chaeyoung come out and enter the door that was adjacent to the hall that I was in, thankful that she hadn't noticed me at least once.

As soon as she entered the door, I booked towards the side of the said door. I leaned against the wall like a spy in a movie, feeling my heart pound against my chest out of the fear of getting caught. Sweat has started to run down my torso despite the building being fully air conditioned, making me cringe in the disgust and at the same time melt in the nervousness.

The door suddenly opens right next to me, causing me to flinch in my spot. Chaeyoung comes out with an insulin pack in her hand and heads towards the same direction Wendy did making it clear that the insulin she had retrieved was not for Chewy and that I had no choice but to get it myself.

As soon as Chaeyoung had disappeared from the hallway, I took the chance and snuck into the room before anyone else would show up. I closed the door behind me and was met with an endless array of cabinets lied out across the room. Thankfully, they were all transparent which means I wouldn't have to open every single one to see its contents. As I browsed the shelves, I was thankful enough to find the insulin cabinets just a few feet away from the door. I stood in front of the cabinet, admiring how it was fully stocked from the bottom to the top.

As I reached out to open the cabinet, I suddenly hear the doorknob start to shake. My heart stopped beating the moment I heard the noise echo through the quiet room, I turn my head towards the door to see that the knob was being twisted. I panicked in my place and searched around the room for any place I could hide, my eyes landed on a small corner where the cabinets ended that provided me enough space. Before I could move a single inch, however, the door suddenly creaks open. I froze completely still and held my breath completely as I watched the person enter the room, fearing that I had been finally caught.

To my surprise, I saw Chaeyoung entering the room with the same insulin pack that she had retrieved earlier. I was somehow relieved that it was only her out of all people but then it came to me that she was one of the hospital's staff and that I was not supposed to be in here. Moreover, she had already lied to Wendy once, so I doubt that I would be able to convince her to do it once more. Chaeyoung inched into the room with her head down towards the ground, I was too scared to even move a muscle fearing she would recognize me if I did so.

"Chaeyoung" I hear a husky voice call from the door.

'' I mentally cursed, beating myself for thinking maybe too loud. Chaeyoung turned around to open the door which gave me the time to sneak into the corner and hide. As the door opened, I squeezed myself into the tiny corner and held my breath once more.

"Chaeyoung, what are you still doing here?" I hear Wendy speak.

"I was just going to replace this insulin pack, it has been punctured." Chaeyoung says.

"Oh, well don't take too long it's getting pretty late. I'll be heading home now" Wendy says.

"Okay, take care ma'am" Chaeyoung follows up. I check my watch to see that it was 10:00 in the evening. I mentally cursed as I had been away from Chewy for too long now. Especially since that I haven't even retrieved the insulin pack. I inch my head towards the edge of the cabinet to see what was going on, I catch Chaeyoung disposing the faulty insulin pack in a small bin and retrieving another one from the same cabinet that I had stood in front of just moments ago.

As she closes the cabinet, she snaps her head towards my direction, causing me to retreat back into my place. I held my breath and curled up into a ball, feeling the sweat drench down the back of my neck and my heartbeat accelerate. If I wasn't careful, I could get into some serious trouble. Not long after, I finally hear the door close. I bit my lip and took the chance to glimpse over the room. To my relief, it was finally empty.

I let out a lengthy sigh of relief and wasted no time heading for the storage cabinet where the insulin was knowing that if I stayed any longer inside this forsaken room, it could be the end of my endeavors in this hospital. I stood in front of the cabinet door, reaching out and opening it to feel a cold gust of air meet my body. I grabbed the first pack that my eyes landed on and gently closed the door.

"Finally" I sighed as I stared at the pack in my hand.

"All the trouble just for this" I pondered to myself before snapping back to reality, Chewy needs this or she wouldn't be able to survive.

'Crap' I curse after realizing how much time I had been wasting just pondering in my thoughts. I march towards the door, finding myself already sick of this tight room and grasped the handle.

To my surprise, the handle wouldn't turn the moment I twisted it to the side. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at the strange occurrence and tried once more to turn it. But it wouldn't budge.

"The hell..." I muttered to myself. The handle would not budge no matter how many times I had tried to turn it. I began to panic the more times I had tried to turn it only to find it stuck in it's place.

"No..." I muttered. I started to use a lot more force into the twisting the handle, but I couldn't even get it to move an inch.

"No" I uttered once more, I grasped the handle with both of my hands and used all my might to open the door. My entire body was drenched in sweat at this point, the temperature of the room had risen to a much higher level than when I came in, making my body drip like I was in the dessert and my throat to be as dry as the sand.

"No!!!" I yelped as I desperately tried to turn the handle with all my might. My strength had been shaved down to the size of an ant, I was completely sapped but my body somehow still found a way to keep moving. I couldn't believe my luck, I was trapped inside this very room. Chaeyoung must have locked it thinking that there was no one inside. I suddenly start to regret ever hiding in the first place, maybe I should've just asked Chaeyoung for some help. Maybe getting my scolded off by Wendy wasn't that bad, it was surely better than being trapped in a room. But it was too late now since I clearly am locked in here, possibly for the rest of the night.

"Help" I cry out as I bang on the door. I no longer cared if the staff found out I was trespassing, getting kicked out of this place no longer seemed so bad. My only concern was Chewy's survival and she wouldn't be able to do so without the insulin in my hands.

"Help! Anyone!" I cry out as I bang loudly on the wooden surface. I couldn't understand why it was taking so long for someone to respond. Surely the employees must have noticed the peculiar thudding noise coming from one of the doors of a quiet hallway.

Quiet...

and then it came to my realization...

The reason the hallway was so quiet was because it was nearly empty. It occurred to me once more that I was the only person walking through that hallway before I came across Chaeyoung and Wendy, I did not recognize any other human presence around the vicinity. It was... empty.

"No! Is anyone there?!" I repeatedly banged on my door with my cocked fist. I was already in the middle of a panic attack, I felt like I was a kidnap victim begging to be released from his prison.

"Please!" I yelled as I continued to lay hammer punches onto the door. My first only began to ache and shake violently from all the pain that was surging through it. As time went by, the air inside the cramped room had begun to reduce by the minute, causing my lungs to cramp up from the severe lack of oxygen.

"Please..." I let out weakly as I slumped onto the floor, my body had been worn out by all the helpless yelling and banging on the door. I was completely worn out and I had no supply of oxygen to sustain my consciousness any longer.

My mind went to many places, many of which weren't good. I imagined my father disowning me for being a failure, I imagined Minjun giving me that smug smirk of his while taking Chewy away from me, I imagined Chewy flatlining from the lack of nutrition in her body. It was true what they said, oxygen can be a drug, or rather the major lack of it.

I lied helplessly on the floor, still grasping onto the insulin pack as if I was holding onto Chewy when my mind suddenly played a memory, it played the time that I was guiding her around the house. For some reason, that memory always latched onto my head every single day, it was what I turned to whenever I felt like I couldn't do anything right. The way that her hand felt on mine, the way that she obediently, if not joyfully, followed me around the house as if I was her only source of strength and I latched onto her as if she was mine. I could never forget it for as long as I was alive because for some reason, even just for a few seconds, it felt as if we were a genuine couple. Something I never had.

"Chewy..." I mumbled under my breath as I hung onto consciousness. I suddenly start wishing that at least the insulin would get to her if I didn't.

"I hope you're well" I say I was enshrouded in darkness.


I would like to apologize for the major lack of Chewy in this chapter. I honeslty felt like I just wanted to skip this but it would just ruin the story, I feel like the buildup is important for next chapter's explosion (whut? lol)

Do leave a comment, or a sub, or a vote, if you want :)