Ch: 50's Noir Fiction

Close to You ( Crush.T )

Chapter 2: 50's Noir Fiction

 

Two beers in and Hyosub’s mood was already mellowing out compared to earlier in the day. The concert had been going for a while; underground rappers taking their turns, some performing their own work, others giving their own creative twist as they covered classics. Even though his mood had mellowed out ever so slightly, the young male could feel the nervousness creeping on his skin. Where was Zion.T? Wasn't he going to perform after all? Ordering another beer for himself, Hyosub decided to attempt drowning his own nerves with its bittersweet taste.

 

Soon enough, the up-beat tracks faded out. The soft tune of a piano playing the interlude to what could’ve been mistaken for a lullaby began filling the venue. The crowd died down, heads turning to the stage to check what was going on. As if affected by the chain reaction, Hyosub spun around to face stage as well, absentmindedly thanking the bartender for the pint. Sauntering onto the stage, there he was; Zion.T. The slender male began positioning himself in front of the microphone without as much as glancing out at the crowd. The stage lights were a deep blue hue, illuminating the man’s meager form.

 

While the mingling crowd mostly consisted of people wearing snapbacks and loose-fitted hoodies of various brands, the man on stage stood out like a sore thumb. Clad in a black fedora and a suit jacket that nearly swallowed his scrawny frame (there were even shoulder pads creating the illusion of broad shoulders), he’d topped it all off with a pair of black, square-shaped shades. Zion.T was the human embodiment of 50’s noir fiction, and Hyosub couldn’t help but to smile in response to what a stark contrast his whole get-up was in comparison to the previous artists in the line-up. It was as if he’d been booked for the wrong concert, altogether.

 

For a moment, the man on stage seemed to be correcting the position of the microphone, fingers curling around the metal as he pressed his full lips close the mic head, remaining wordless as he did so. Whether he was a nervous wreck, or completely unaffected by the situation, Hyosub couldn’t tell. Nonetheless, something about the vibe that this man was emitting could only be described as alluring. Once his lips parted, the melody that poured out of him came in the form of pure liquid velvet.

 

. . . Why do birds suddenly appear . . . every time you are near? Just like me, they long to be . . . close to you. . .

 

Nostalgia from decades before their birth, completed with a twist of R&B provided by the beat, and the peculiar man’s perfectly controlled vocal cords. While he wasn’t sure of the title, Hyosub could swear he’d heard the melody a hundred times before. It made absolutely no sense that Zion.T would be covering 70’s hits at a hip hop night, but in his own nonsensical way, the peculiar man made it work; the crowd was singing along, wholehearted chuckles booming at his theatrical antics thatm unbeknownst to them all, would some day become known as a part of the artist’s unique characteristics.

 

. . .  Why do stars fall down from the sky every time you walk by? Just like me, they long to be close to you . . .

 

Hyosub caught himself staring at the man’s shades, the corners of his eyes stinging, the hand in his pocket clutching frantically at the mixtape he’d brought with him. For a moment, he lowered his head, his heavy bangs covering his eyes as he mulled over his own situation. It was downright intimidating to stand in the shadows of the blue-lit stage, the overwhelming talent of an up-and-coming artist stabbing knives in his chest with every soft little beat that was produced through the speakers. Zion.T seemed so nonchalantly in control of what he was doing, so utterly aware of his own talent. At this point, Hyosub was practically brooding.

 

. . .  On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true . . . So they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue. . .

 

As he raised his head to stare back up at the man on stage, Hyosub could’ve sworn that Zion.T returned his gaze from behind the black glass of his square-shaped shades. As if attempting to perform the Vulcan mind meld, or send a telepathic message like professor Xavior, Hyosub furrowed his brows in concentration. He didn’t care how he’d go about it, he needed for Zion.T to evaluate his work. He needed to know whether he should keep on going, or whether he should let go of his dream altogether. He needed Zion.T to go home with his mixtape in his pocket.

 

. . .  that is why all the boys in town follow you all around. Just like me, they long to be close to you. . .

 

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Author's note:
For anyone who might be wondering why Zion.T would be singing Close to You by The Carpenters… Just know that I've based it off of an actual event where he performed that exact song at a concert by the name 'HIPHOPPLAYA' back in 2014! ^^; hahah.
Hope you enjoy this slow (slower, slowest) build-up. I swear that it's headed somewhere > <;; !