Yoona

Where fate leads

 A three year old girl was standing at the gate of her daycare centre. She was waiting for her mother to come pick her up. Everyday she was the last one to left the place as her mother was always late to get her, coming after work. What can she do? Being a single parent is a whole lot of responsibility and she has difficulties managing her time for fulfilling her tasks. So, therefore, everyay the little girl would watch the other children's parents pick them up. Some of their Fathers' came to pick them up, instead of their mothers. Even some have both their parents came to pick them. And the little girl would watch them leave happily together, smiling and laughing and making her somewhat envious seeing them like that. She never knew the feeling or warmth of having a father. Never knew how it will be like to feel loved and protected by someone other than her mother. Because that was the first thing her fate had kept her deprived of, since her childhood. A Father........

 

 

Yoona had never known her father. She didn't knew where her father was or who was he? How was he like? What he did? Ever since she only had had her mother to call her family.Of course she had questioned her mother several things regarding his father. But her mother only dropped the topic or distracted her on some other thing. Even if sometimes she insisited she would never get a satisfactory answer.So eventually, she stopped asking about him. Yoona accepted that she not going to know her father and she and her mother will always be together. 

 

Because she didn't had a father, other children and made fun of her. Their had been nights when Yoona had cried herself to sleep hugging her plushie, the only toy her mother brought. Wishing for her life to get better somehow. But it never happened. The teasing and bullying continued. So Yoona stopped interacting with others. She now only talked to her mother when she was home. And the rest of the time she would play by herself. This had made her independent in some sense. She can look after herself when her mother was not around. But it has also made her a loner. Places with more people begins to suffocate her. This went on further as it is.

 

Yoona was thirteen years old when her fate decides to be cruel to her again. Her mother's health was deteriorating day by day. They were trying their best and getting as much better treatment as possible. But nothing was working out. Her mother was not able to work properly. So they were having difficulties to make the two ends meet,even with Yoona's two part time jobs. Her mother was diagnosed with a terminal disease later. The doctors also left every hope of her mother to get cured.This was testing Yoona's sanity. She could not think of anything bad to happen to her mother. What will she do once her mother leaves her? How will she survive? She only had her mother left for her.Her mother tried to give her strength by words. But even her sweet voice could not sooth her and lessen her worries as her mother's eyes give away her lies.

 

 

Yoona was sitting at the side of her mother's hospital bed. Her mother looked pale and in her final stage of life, breathing shallowly. She could give up any minute. Yoona held her mother's hand tightly, afraid that her mother will disappear the moment she lets go. Her mother,summoning up her strength, started talking.

"Yoona,my child. You have always asked me about your father but I never told you anything.Today I am going to tell you about him."

" Mom why now? After so many years?"

" Because you deserve to know. And I don't have much time left. So I am going to tell you."

Yoona shook her head crying,"Mom please don't say like that. Please don't say you're going to leave me. I won't be able to bear it."

Her mother just smiled to her sadly. Then she continued." His name was Suenghwan.He was my semior in High school. We dated for three long years. We were so much in love.We decided to be together forever and he was going to tell about us to his parents. But on the same day he decided to do so his father stated him to study abroad. He told me that he would be back for me to to wait for him. But after he left I never heard of him.Only got to know about his marriage with someone associated with their business. I never got the chance to tell him about you, but I am grateful I had you.Otherwise, I don't know how would I had survuved all this years.Now my time has come and I wish you all the happiness you deserves my child" she kissed Yoona's forehead after that.

 

Yoona was a crying mess and was trembling hugging her mother."Mom please don't say such things. You are going to be alright.Everything is gonna be alright."

She didn't noticed in her state that her mother had stopped breathing. When, after few minutes she didn't get any reply or movement, she lifted her head up to check. She was panicked after not seeing her mother breathing. She violently shook her mother's body and calling out to her to wake up.She was shouting and shaking her mother mother by the time the doctors and nurses rushed in the room. They tried to get her away from the bed but she stayed put. They somehow seperated her with a lot of struggle. After checking the doctor announced her mother dead.Yoona cried loudly for her mom and loose balance. Kneeling on the floor she broke into heartwrenching sobs.

 

The funeral was done the same evening. Apart from Yoona few of her mother's colleague and their neighbours were present. They consoled her but nothing registered to her mind. After crying her eyes out in the hospital, she had not uttered a single sound nor had she cried. She just stood there staring blankly everything that was happening.She was scared, saddened as she knows that she was all alone now. There is no one left for her.She was silently breaking apart.

 

 Back at her tattered apartment, she went to her mother's room. As soon as she opened the door a wave of nostalgia attacked her. She entered and mindlessly roamed her eyes everywhere.She brushed her palm on every tangible thing delicately. Each corner has her mother's presence.She tried to remeber the warmth she used to feel around her mother.The warmth which was absent when she held her mother's hand for the last time.She inhaled the air deeply, trying to smell her mother's scent.

Her eyes caught something to catch her attention in the room. A letter.

She took it and checked.It was from her mother for her.Opening the letter she caressed the the writings of her mother, before reading.

My dear child,Yoona

I am not going to be with you for much longer.I am sorry I am leaving you all alone.

But I want you to know that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me.I loved you the most.

And I had never regreted having you.You made my life worth living after your dad.

I may not be with you physically but i will always look out for you from up there.

And will always pray for your happiness.I want you to be happy my child.

Even if I am not around live your life.Otherwise I won't be at peace up there.

And you will meet someone one day who will love you dearly.

Live your life Yoona.

I will meet you again one day.

 

 

Always love you,

MOM

After reading the letter Yoona cried again hugging it.She will try to live as her mother wanted for her.She don't know how but she will try for her mother.