Scary "Blank" guard

Against The Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Duke Jaejoong’s mansion.


Ever since he came back, Luhan had been loaded with works. Unlike them, humans don’t have the superpower to draw a clear line between royals and peasants. So they had to do everything to achieve or maintain their high status. 

"I didn’t know being human was this hard!!” Duke Jaejoong heard him say this while passing by his study room.


Lord Jaejoong was a handsome gentleman in his late 40s. At first glance, no one could guess his high status and the power he holds over this country. He doesn’t really smile, but he has this kind of aura that pulls people towards him. 

He was the Emperor’s distant relative and his childhood friend. Despite them being busy with everything, they always manage to make time for each other every season. 

He married to neighbor country’s second Princess, Jessica. That was a textbook arranged marriage and stayed that way throughout their 13 years of married life. Their marriage wasn’t so happy yet Jaejoong was just being together. But Jessica's free-spirited nature couldn't sit well with her position. She hated her title and always wished for true freedom. Well, eventually she got that wish. But that story is for another time. 

Anyway, they had two children. Their youngest son Xiao is 9 years old and the oldest one, Hwanhee, should’ve been 20 years old this year. If he was still alive... 

So from here comes our Luhan. Three months ago, as usual, when he was stalking Xiumin, there was an attack in the forest where he was staying. Even though he didn’t want to get involved with humans, he caught the scent of Jaejoong. Long story short, Luhan saved him but it was too late for his son. So he took Luhan as his oldest son. He just wanted to protect Xiao, that’s all. 

 

“So how are you doing?” Jaejoong asked Luhan.

“I should’ve just taken that throne many years ago. Then I wouldn’t have to do all this ! Why do I even have to ride a horse?!” 

He laughed out loud. “Who knows?”

 

Jeajoong does find him adorable... The day, when the attack happened, his oldest son was coming back from studying for 8 years in the Crescent Kingdom. From the untold story of the love triangle between Jaejoong, Jessica, and Zhoumi, there was a threat to kill their first-born. To protect his son from petty revenge, they sent Hwanhee far away until he became capable of protecting himself. But that was pointless in the end. One man’s betrayal ruined everything... That day Jaejoong understood that Zhoumi wouldn’t stop until he took Xiao as well. 

That’s why he took Luhan in, the uncontrollable, powerful and immortal vampire.  He knew what he was getting himself into... But unlike his expectation, Luhan was pretty decent in his job. He acts like his real son and Xiao’s brother even when no one’s looking.

“Why are you hurrying to pass your title to me? Don’t you have at least 20 more years to be active?” asked Luhan. He didn’t understand why he was so eager to leave his power.

"The less I have, the less threat will come to Xiao. Besides I want to fulfill my promise to my wife,” Jaejoong replied kindly.

"What promise?”

"To reunite with her as a man. Just man. Nothing more. And live freely as our wish.”

 

Jessica hated their arranged marriage. She hated this tradition. She wanted to live with someone who she loves with her whole existence. But that wish of her got stolen for “political reasons”. 

The beginning of their marriage was like a bumpy road. Jessica even refused to look at him, let alone to have a nice meal together. Jaejoong couldn’t bear to be hated by her like that anymore. So he made a deal with her. She could do whatever after she gave birth to two children, as their parents’ wish. Even if that was to leave him. 

Their relationship improved greatly after that. Like as said before, they were perfect together. 

Before she left him, seven years ago, they made this last promise. To meet again someday and love each other without pressure. As normal people.

She might seem like a selfish person, but Luhan liked her. He was actually proud, even.

 

The usual

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter