FIVE

The Life of Jae

Chapter 5

 

Sungjin and Wonpil were making eye contact at this point. Jae glanced back and forth from the two and came to the conclusion that Wonpil really did know who Sungjin was. The two just stared at each other for a few seconds not saying anything, not reacting to each other. For a second Jae almost felt as though something bad was about to happen, but suddenly a smile grew on Wonpil’s face, which made Jae think otherwise.

 

A smile grew on Sungjin’s face as well, “I’ve missed you,” he said, then the two suddenly ran towards each other passing in front of Jae, and hugged.

 

Jae put his hands up in the air as the two ran past him, eyes widened, feeling shocked. He looked over to Dowoon, who was shocked himself. They had no idea what was going on.

 

The two just stayed there and hugged for a while and the room fell silent. A few seconds later, Dowoon let out a cough. They were hugging for way too long and Dowoon was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

 

Wonpil noticed Dowoon and left Sungjin’s embrace. With a bright smile, he turned to Dowoon and grabbed him by the hand, “Everyone, Sungjin, he’s an old friend of mine,” he said looking to Dowoon giving him an assuring look.

 

“Really?” Dowoon asked, “Just an old friend?”

 

Wonpil nodded, “Of course Dowoon, we were just friends,” he said then ruffled Dowoon’s hair holding his hand tighter. Dowoon pressed his lips into a line and nodded in response.

 

“How long has it been?” Biran asked as he walked closer to where everyone was? He didn’t know if he had a right to ask, but he found the whole situation really interesting.

 

“Jeez,” Sungjin started blinking his eyes, “It’s been a while since.”

 

Jae laughed, “Wait, so despite how long we’ve been living her I can’t believe you two haven't bumped into each other.”

 

“You’d know my struggle,” Sungjin said laughing.

 

“I sure do,” Jae sighed, “How come you didn’t just tell me Wonpil was your friend?” Jae asked.

 

“To be completely honest I never had the chance, You kinda always shut the door on my face,” Sungjin let out a soft laugh.

 

Jae squinted his eyes, “I guess you’re right.”

 

The five of them settled down at the kitchen table and chatted a bit over a bowl of chips. Mainly Wonpil and Sungjin catching up with each other, while the rest listened and butted in every once in a while to make a joke. 

 

"Uh guys, maybe we should plan something to do next weekend," Jae hesitantly said after Sungjin finished saying something to Wonpil, "I mean uh-" Jae was trying to come up with an excuse for even bringing up the idea. 

 

"What? Jae offering to go out together?" Wonpil said turning his focus towards Jae.

 

"Well you two haven't seen each other in forever, and well I wouldn't mind a day out," he said, then nervously coughed. 

 

Everyone glanced at each other and nodded, "Sounds good," Sungjin said nodding. 

 

Wonpil turned over to Brian, "You up for it?" he asked. 

 

"Yeah totally," Brian said nodding. 

 

Somehow the five of them got along really well despite not all of them really knowing each other and hanging out didn't seem like a bad idea. 


 

-


 

Jae glanced over at the two lovebirds sitting on the other end of the couch. Both Sungjin and Brian were gone now, and it was late. The three of them sat on the couch as they watched a movie, something they often did almost every night.

 

Jae, kinda getting annoyed with the two who were completely not paying attention to the movie but rather to each other's faces, kicked Dowoon who was closer to him. The two looked over surprised, and Jae glared.

 

Wonpil mouthed the word, “What,” then glanced down to Dowoon with a smile.

 

Jae huffed, then grabbed the remote and paused the movie, not wanting to make his friends cuddle session the topic of choice he brought up Sungjin instead, “So how exactly do you know Sungjin anyway, it’s kinda been bugging me since earlier, “ he partially lied. He didn’t care much about knowing their life story, it wasn’t necessarily his right to know, but it was an excuse.

 

Dowoon perked up from leaning on Wonpil, “Yeah, I wanna know too,” he said quietly, but loud enough for Wonpil to hear.

 

“That's surprising Jae, you care?” Wonpil said, then looked to Dowoon with a smile.

 

Jae let out a nervous laugh, “Yeah totally, plus Dowoon really wants to know.”

 

Wonpil nodded, then sat up in his seat, “Okay, I’ll tell you,” he said as he began to think back a couple years.


 

Wonpil had to think all the way back to his freshman year in high school. He ended up not getting into the same high school as all his middle school friends so not only did he not have any friends in his class but also didn't have any friends he could hang out without outside of class.

 

For several weeks straight, he didn’t have friends, that is until one of his classmates that sat in front of him came into class with a new haircut, and Wonpil thinking it was a new student.

 

Wonpil was leaning down on his desk waiting for class to start when suddenly he felt someone tap the side of his shoulder. He looked up to an unfamiliar person and cocked his head to the side.

 

The guy standing in front of him smiled at him, “Morning Wonpil,” he said then sat down in the seat in front of Wonpil and turned to face him.

 

Wonpil furrowed his eyebrows, “Excuse me, do you know me?” he said.

 

The other let out a laugh, “Wonpil, it's me Sungjin,” he said and rubbed his hands over  his new haircut, “Do I look that different?” he asked smiling.

 

Wonpil facepalmed himself, “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry, I can’t believe I,” he said feeling sorry.

 

Sungjin’s eyes widened, “Wait you were actually being serious!” then let out loud laughter, “Aye I know we aren’t close, but come on Wonpil,” he joked and slapped his knee.  

 

Wonpil bowed slightly in his seat apologizing. Sungjin shook his head and told him it was completely fine. From then on Sungjin would joke about it with Wonpil, and soon enough they became really good friends.  

 

They were really good friends all the way through high school but it wasn’t until they graduated was when they went their separate ways. Sungjin was planning on going to a university far away, while Wonpil was going to stay local. As more time went by they kinda just lost contact.


 

-


 

Jae was slapping his knee and was hurled over on the couch laughing his off, “Wait,” he began trying to calm himself down, “You couldn’t recognize a classmate that sat right next to you just cuz he got a haircut,” Jae said starting to laugh again.

 

“Come on it was a drastically different haircut than before,” Wonpil pouted.

 

Jae still letting out little laughs, “Okay, okay,” he said.

 

Dowoon wasn’t laughing much he was probably more concerned with the fact that he didn’t know about this friend of Wonpils, and how exactly close they were, “Did you ever like him?” Dowoon said a bit too seriously.

 

Jae immediately got quiet and looked to Wonpil. Wonpil smiled as he turned towards Dowoon, “No of course not, I could never,” he let out a small laugh.

 

“What about Sungjin? Did he ever like you?” Dowoon still asking questions.

 

Wonpil shook his head, “I’m 99.99 percent sure he didn’t, but we dated the same guy once,” he said with a nervous smile.

 

“Seriously!” Jae burst out loudly.

 

Wonpil laughed, “I’m joking,” he said then looked to Dowoon with a smirk.

 

Dowoon pouted, then slightly jumped on top of Wonpil. The two played around and fought with each other for a few minutes. Meanwhile, Jae stood up and left the room without a word.

 


 

AN:  YoungK's bday<3 If you were a reader before I changed the story, you can probably tell this part drastically changed. Also, I think I have a new grasp of this story so I actually have the inspiration to write it! Also Days Gone By Was soooo good! 

tumblr_pizljrIHmO1tk78pao3_540.gif