THREE

The Life of Jae

Chapter 3

 

 

 The next morning Jae surprisingly woke up to peace and quiet. It was actually too quiet. Most of the time he’d hear Wonpil and Dowoon chatting and watching tv out in the living room in the morning. There was no sound coming from the living room so Jae thought he might have woken up earlier than usual, but when he checked the clock it was the same time he always woke up.


 

He got out of bed and peeked out his door into the living room. Nobody was there like he expected. Maybe they just slept in today, he thought, then exited his room. He tiptoed over to Wonpil and Dowoon’s room and on the count of three he pushed open the door in an attempt to surprise the two in bed, but they weren’t there either.


 

“Where the hell did they go this early?” Jae mumbled to himself, the walked out of the room.


 

He went back into his room really quickly to grab his cell phone, because he thought they must’ve left him a message or something because they’d never just disappear like that without telling Jae about anything.


 

He unlocked his phone and went to his messages. He had his notifications off because he would answer his messages whenever the hell he wanted to answer. Wonpil always complained saying one day there would be an emergency and Jae would find out too late and regret it, but that didn’t make Jae change his mind.


 

There was a message about an hour earlier, from Dowoon. It read, that the two went out for breakfast and would be back in a few hours.


 

“Alright!” Jae said happily placing his phone down, then snapped his fingers, pointing to the fridge. It was nice to get a few hours to himself since he dealt with all the chaos that happens in the apartment while the other two were home. It’s not that they were bad, they were just loud.


 

Jae skipped over to the fridge and opened it. He looked inside and grabbed the leftover sub sandwich he got a few days prior. He knew he had to eat it soon or else it’d probably be bad in the next day or so.

 

He walked over to the couch and placed the sub sandwich on the coffee table, then sat down on the couch. He the tv, grabbed his sandwich again, and leaned back on the couch to get comfortable. He laughed at the show that was playing on the tv, then began to take a bite of his sandwich but before he reached his mouth the doorbell rang.

 

“You gotta be kidding me! Not again!” Jae said wanting to throw his sandwich across the room but maintained himself because he knew he’d regret it.


 

Jae got up, leaving his sandwich on the coffee table. He swung open the door, and of course, it was Sungjin. Sungjin stood there with a nice smile, envelopes in his hands again. Jae quickly took the envelopes out of Sungjin’s hands, rolling his eyes.  


 

“Stop bringing our mail!” Jae yelled, “You interrupted my sandwich time, again!”


 

Sungjin’s smile turned into a frown, “Sorry, I can’t help that you are always eating a sandwich when I come over.” he said blankly.


 

“You trying to make jokes now?” Jae said eyebrow raised, fire in his eyes.


 

“Of course not,” Sungjin smiled again, “Did you meet your new neighbor yet?”


 

“Nope,” Jae said, then slammed the door on Sungjin’s face to pissed to even think about mentioning if the reason he came all the time was because of Wonpil.


 

Jae took a deep breath, then walked back to the couch throwing the envelopes on the table. He sat back down and picked up his sandwich again. He smiled and brought the sandwich to his mouth, but again, the doorbell rang.


 

Thats it!” Jae said, then actually threw his sandwich on the floor angrily.


 

He stomped over to the door, swung it open, “I’ll en report yo-” Jae yelled, but stopped when he noticed it wasn’t Sungjin at the door. It was actually their new neighbor, Brian.


 

“Uh, I must be at the wrong apartment,” Brian says looking around awkwardly, “I mean, does a Wonpil, or Dowoon live here?” he asks.


 

Jae just nodded at Brian blankly, mouth ajar. He was stunned, he just cursed at a stranger, and felt really bad about it. Stupid Sungjin, jae thought to himself.


 

“I wasn’t expecting you to answer the door,” Brian said still a little confused.


 

Jae squinted his eyes offended, “Then who did you expect, a freken alien?” he said kinda annoyed.


 

Brian felt even more confused. Why this guy standing in front of him, someone he’d never met before was being so rude. “No, I was just expecting one of your friends I assume, Wonpil or Dowoon to answer.”


 

“Ah,” Jae said face palming, then rubbing his hand through his hair distressed. He took a deep breath, then got himself back together, “I'm so Sorry," he said shutting his eyes tightly in embarrassment, "I’m Jae. Wonpil and Dowoon are my roommates. Did you need to talk to them?”


 

Brian shook his head, “No, I’m just bringing back the container the food was in that Wonpil and Dowoon brought me the other day.”


 

“Oh, Okay.” Jae said then reached out to grab the container.


 

Brian handed over the container, but right as he let go, it fell to the floor, because Jae didn’t grab it correctly. Thankfully the container was made out of thick glass, so the drop didn’t do any harm.


 

The both of them went down to pick up the container, at the same exact time, which was a mistake because the two hit their heads on the way down. Jae was bending his knees a bit more, so he actually ended up falling back onto his .


 

Brian sorta panicked and quickly went to help Jae, but instead of helping him up, he tripped on the container causing it to crack a bit, but ultimately he just fell down on top of Jae.


 

It all happened so fast. Brian now on top of Jae, their legs intertwined. Brian’s arms were leaned up against the floor, one arm leaning more to the side than the other, covering Jae’s view on either side. One of Jae’s arms were flat to the floor, while his other arm was folded up into his chest. The two looked at each other for a few seconds, while they both took in each other's facial features. They were literally inches away from each other.


 

Suddenly a voice chimed in from behind the two out from the hallway, “Welp, it looks like the two of you met now.” It was Sungjin.


 

The two quickly pushed away from each other and got up.


 

“Why are you back?” Jae said annoyed.


 

“Oh, I forgot to tell you, don’t forget to pay your rent.” He smiled, “Oh and why is there sandwich pieces everywhere on the floor?”


 

“Get out of here!” Jae yelled.


 

Sungjin nodded, “You two get along well then,” he said with a smirk then left.


 

Both Brian and Jae took a long breath, then looked at each other again. Brian’s eyes widened, then he went down to pick up the now cracked container. “Sorry about that, actually sorry about everything that uh, happened,” he said awkwardly scratching the back of his head.


 

Jae shook his head, “it’s not my container anyway. It’s Wonpil’s.” he said then took the container in his hands. He walked over to the kitchen and placed the container in the sink. Brian followed over to the kitchen as well.


 

“Anything that happens to Wonpil, is completely fine.” Jae said turning back to Brian with a smile, “And, actually I’m sorry about yelling at you the moment I opened the door, and then proceeded to be rude.”


 

“It’s not a problem. I’m Brian by the way,” Brian said introducing himself. “At least now we have a story to tell when we talk about how we met.” he said chuckling.


 

Jae nodded, “You want something to drink?”


 

“Yeah, sure. Oh, and, why is there sandwich pieces on the floor?” Brian asked jokingly remembering what Sungjin had asked earlier.

 

 


 

 Thank you for reading and subscribing :)

tumblr_pi4lo5Dlfv1sw8891_1280.jpg