3. Protest

Time Machine

 

“Yum,” I graciously dipped my head before finishing my last rice dumpling. Another day well spent on noting but food, sleep, and internet. It was noon, and I just finished the last tidbits of my meager lunch. Life was bland as usual.

 

“Tomorrow. I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

 

“Tomorrow, my ,” I scoffed as I haphazardly dumped my dishes into the sink, which already had a large pile of bowls and utensils. “I hate doing dishes…”

“I hate them too.”

“I know, righ- Damn! Wha-?!” I whirled around to come face to face with Junhyung. “You trespasser!”

“You know, you should really consider locking your front door,” He shrugged. “There might be trespassers.”

“Like you,” I accused. “Really, though. I can report you to the police!”

“But you wouldn’t.” Junhyung casually hopped onto my kitchen counter, sitting next to the sink. He swung his legs back and forth like a small child would.

“What are you doing on my kitchen counter?” I glared at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Woah there, don’t give me attitude,” He grinned. “I’m watching you wash your dishes!”

I snorted and placed my hands on my hips. “Listen. Let me remind you: We’re not friends, mister.”

“Aww, I’m hurt,” He jokingly answered. “If that’s what you want.”

I eyed him cautiously as I slipped on a pair of rubber gloves and started to wash the dishes one by one. He whistled a sad, slow song as I placed my first finished plate onto a metal rack. He continued to whistle, a hauntingly beautiful yet familiar tune emerging from the notes.

“That’s a very nice tune,” I blurted out.

“It is, isn’t it?” He paused to take a breather.

“Don’t disturb me while I’m doing my chores.”

“You’re no fun, Miss Ume,” Junhyung shook his head in mock disappointment.

“What do you want me to do? To entertain you? Alright, I’ll go buy some bananas and dance in the for you,” Sarcasm dripped in my voice as I unconsciously harshly replied.

“You can do that,” He seriously answered.

“Do you have nothing do?” I sighed. The lip of my corner twitched as I clamped my cramped hands together in an attempt to loosen up.

“I prefer watching you do dishes,” He replied.

“You are my customer; nothing more and nothing less,” I shot him a piercing glare. “However, that does not entitle you permission to trespass my home.”

“You have pretty wallpaper,” Junhyung leaned against the wall, pulling his dangling legs up into a criss-cross position. “I didn’t notice it until today.”

“Are you bipolar?” I asked. “I don’t know what your personality is anymore!”

“Maybe I don’t have one?” He put on the most serious face possible.

“You’re impossible,” I rolled my eyes. He merely blankly smiled at my statement.

“I know I am.”

 

ffffffffffffffffffffffff--------------------

 

“Seoul truly is a large city,” Junhyung murmured. We were walking side by side in the busy streets, admiring the scenery. I ignored his statement and continued walking until we reached a secluded playground behind a large company building. He followed my lead and sat next to me on a lone bench facing the empty swings.

“Talk.”

“Someone’s pissed,” Junhyung noted.

“Yeah, so you better get talking,” I retorted. Silence ensued after my command. I whipped my head to command him once more, but his soft voice interrupted my actions.

“I was born in Yongsan,” He leisurely leaned against the back of the bench. Yongsan was one of the poorest areas in South Korea.

“How… was Yongsan?” I asked, my mouth dry.

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “Things were here and there, I suppose.”

“Right,” I calmly replied. “Be descriptive.”

“I grew up as an orphan,” He bluntly said, not a trace of sadness in his voice. I opened my mouth to talk but no words came out.

“I’m sor-“

“I’d rather not receive any pity,” He sharply said. I swallowed my words, and huffed at his interruption. The atmosphere grew silent again as I fidgeted with the hem of my blouse. I took a quick peek at Junhyung, wondering what he felt like at the moment.

“You should go back now,” He leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

“What? You hardly told me anything!” I crossly exclaimed.

“Rapists come out at night, you know,” He grinned and suggestive scooted closer. I rolled my eyes at his statement. What rapists? Even if they did, I still had my specially formulated stun laser tucked in my pocket.

“I might turn into a too,” He leaned over and blew air at my ear, inciting a surprised yelp from me. I pushed him away, not bothering to control my strength.

“Ow,” He landed on the floor, rubbing his bottom. “That hurt, you know.”

“You certainly deserved it,” I seethed. “Do not ever pull something like that again.”

“Yeah, yeah,” His laugh echoed around the empty park. I gave him one last scathing look before standing up and brushing the dust off my shorts. I ignored his small snorts of laughter as I walked away from the bench. Before turning out of the park entrance, I turned around to take one last look.

Junhyung was back on the bench, his arms propped up beside him. He was deeply absorbed in looking at the sky, and didn’t bother to look behind him. For some reason, I just couldn’t bring myself to hate him and his confusing personality.

 

A boy laughed mockingly and pointed at a smaller framed boy standing across from him. “Look at little Junnie! He peed in his pants!”

“I did not!” The little boy defiantly defended himself.

“Did too!”

“Did not!”

“Then what’s that wet stuff on your pants, Junnie?” The larger boy arrogantly asked. By now, little children of all sizes had crowded around the two. The gray tones of their rags matched with the dull colors of the wall.

“It’s the weirdo.” Murmurs floated among the children.

“His glare is so scary!”

“I bet he was a murderer in his past life.” A teenage girl accused.

“I don’t wanna be with him!” A little girl started bawling, clutching the teenage girl’s arm.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“He never talks with anyone…”

“Look at his pants! They’re wet!”

The children, although scared, began to laugh. The one that they all feared and hated was being ridiculed. They laughed and laughed, all as one.

Let them laugh all they want, Junhyung thought. He wasn’t afraid of being ridiculed- their laughs didn’t make him feel embarrassed at all. No.  Their laughs scared him.

“But I really didn’t do it!” Junhyung protested again. His knees felt strangely weak, his voice coming out thick and broken.

“Do you think anyone believes you at all?” The boy smugly answered. “If anyone in this orphanage believes you, I’ll admit that I was wrong.”

“Please?” Junhyung turned to the crowd of orphans with pleading eyes and a shaky voice. “Anyone?”

The orphans gave no response, choosing to ignore his pleads. Junhyung felt his heart squeeze uncomfortably.

“Please believe me! I beg you! Please?”

To his horror, the orphans began to laugh – to laugh at his begging.

“Please!”

“They don’t believe you, dimwit,” The older boy stepped forward and pushed Junhyung’s shoulders. Junhyung fell onto the floor, his eyes beginning to tear up with years worth of melancholy. He pushed himself up, grimacing at the pain throbbing in his knee.

“I-!” Junhyung fought back through his hot tears.

“Don’t lie, you freak.”

“I’m not a freak!” Junhyung stomped angrily.

“I DIDN’T DO IT!” Junhyung screamed at the top of his lungs. The crowd shied away at his sudden outbursts. A few whimpers arose from little ones.

“YOU BRATS, SHUT UP OR NO MEALS FOR A WEEK!” The caretaker screeched, her voice echoing through the flimsy plaster walls of the orphanage. “SHUT UP! SHUT UP! I’LL KILL YOU ALL IF I HEAR ANOTHER WORD!”

“See, its all your fault,” The boy shrugged, turning away from Junhyung to face the crowd. “Let’s go. Who knows what evil Junhyung might do.”

Junhyung watched as each orphan retreated. Soon, he was the only left in the small room. His knees gave way as he slumped onto the dirty floor, letting the dust coat his dirty legs. He crawled over to a puddle of rainwater from a leak in the roof, glaring at his reflection with contempt. Slowly, he reached out and slammed his hand into the puddle that had caused the entire mess.

 

“I didn’t do it.”

 


A/N

In this chapter, we get a hint of Junhyung's past. I hate writing sob stories, but it was necessary for his personality and the ending.  His character is confusing - he's playful yet serious at the same time, as I tried to portray. And believe me, it's not as simple as just having a painful past - I'm going to be giving you some... "minded" twists around the end. 

I've decided to provide one ending only - it's up to you whether it's happy or not. Depends on your thoughts, I guess.

.