Empat

FLIGHT HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4

“Blow a little gentler.”

Jessica turns her head from the pile of wood sticks. There, standing behind her is Kwon Yuri. He has the T-shirt and hoodie draped over his broad shoulder. A seemingly amused smile adores his face as he drops whatever he's holding with both hands to the ground.

“Put the cotton balls close and blow on the ember gently.”

Following his order, Jessica tucks her hair to the back of her ear and give the ember of fire a gentle blow. Fire sparks and spreads to the cotton.

“Yes!” She exclaims, holding the cotton up like it's her most precious belonging. “What now?”

“Drop it onto the wood sticks.” Yuri laughs. “We don't want you to burn a finger, do we?”

Jessica drops it carefully to the pile of sticks, adding a few leaves on the burning fire. Yuri adds a few more from behind her, still grinning.

She watches hopefully as the fire grows, completely aware of Yuri's hot breath just a few millimeters away from her ear.

“The fire in the nook has died down and I broke the lighter trying to ignite the fire back on.” After a few seconds, she looks at him in shame. “Sooyoung told me to make a bigger fire here to scare the nocturnal animals and I failed.”

“No, you didn't. You just made a fire.”

“With your help.” She huffs, adding more sticks to the pile.

“Don't add too much. You'll cut the oxygen supply and kill the fire.” He moves around, gathering leaves and bigger sticks beside the fire. “Here, sit on the leaves.”

She looks at the make-shift nest he just made then at the growing fire, huffing again.

“What?” He smiles, making another pile of leaves by Jessica's side and sits on it.

“I would have been dead without you.”

“No. You wouldn't. Human is designed to survive and thrive in any condition.” He puts the hoodie on her lap. “Wear this. It's dirty, it has blood stains, but it's dry and warm.”

Jessica touches the fabric, looking up at the owner.

“No. Not that face. Nope.” He grins, putting the T-shirt on himself. “Don't argue. I'm used of the cold night. You don't.”

She looks down at the hoodie, wondering. How can someone be as selfless as Yuri? The wind is gushing from the ocean and the air is cold but still he gives up his warm hoodie for her?

“I know it's smell like dried pollack but it's better than catching a cold.” He grins again.

Jessica sticks her tongue out at him, feeling warm even before she puts the hoodie on. The fabric brushes against her nose as she wears it, makes her wonder if it's the ocean or his scene that she smells from the cloth.

“Comfy?” He asks, poking at the fire with a long stick.

“Yes. Thank you.”

“If the bad odor bothers you just think about dried pollack soup.”

“It doesn't smell bad at all but you make me misses the taste of dried pollack soup.” She fakes a frown.

He grins, grabbing the bulk of something he previously dropped and throw it near the fire. “I can't make you soup. But I hope this is good enough as a substitute.”

Jessica's eyes widen when he realizes what Yuri had thrown. There, on the ground illuminated by the fire are two large crabs. The pincers are moving threateningly under the knot of coconut leaves.

“Seafood banquette for lady Jung.” He grins again, groping into his shorts pockets and throws in a handful of clams.

“Lady Jung only, huh.” Sooyoung suddenly squeezes herself in between the two. Rubbing her hands together, the doctor smacks her lips. “I know you are heed over heel for her but I'm the doctor in the team. Feed me first, Yuri-ah.”

It's probably the glow of fire playing trick but Jessica swears she sees Yuri blushes a little at Sooyoung's tease.

“There are enough food bars for a week in the kit.” Yuri arranges branches over the fire, building an emergency grill to roast all the shellfish. “You can have them all.”

“Packed protein instead of fresh seafood? No way.” Impatiently poking at one of the sizzling crabs with a stick, Sooyoung purses her lips at the man. “We're sharing the crabs, right Jess? Yuri can have them little clams.”

Laughing, Jessica pokes at the crab too. Soon the air is filled with the tasty smell of seafood. Yuri takes the knife from the raft, washes it clean per Jessica's strong request, then uses it to open the crabs and the clams. The three of them eat with gusto, chatting as they do so. Sooyoung has a lot of interesting story to tell about what she calls as her ER days but Jessica can't help stealing glance over and over again at Yuri.

If only this was a camping, where she could confess her feeling later while she and Yuri are snuggling together in a tent.

If only this was a private island, where she took a vacation with him and a couple of friends. Where at the tail end of it, she got to hold his hand as he drives them to the airport to get back home.

“I take it none of you want to cuddle with me in the raft.” Sooyoung stands up, flexing her muscles after nearly two hours of sitting. “Just my grandma and me then.”

“Don't let the bug bites, Soo.” Yuri smiles, feeding more stick to the radiating fire. “Or in this case, don't let the hog bites.”

“There's hog here?” Turning her head around, Jessica inches closer to the man.

“If there's any, I'm sure Yuri will kill it with his bare hands for you.” Sooyoung laughs as she walks to the raft. “Do you guys want me to put the emergency light outside for better light or is the fire romantic enough?”

“Get the light out facing the sea, Soo. So the rescuer can see us.” Yuri stands up and walks for the raft too. “I need the flares too just in case.”

Jessica watches as Yuri and Sooyoung talk by the raft. The doctor is laughing at something he said and Jessica wonders if he's as friendly as that to every woman. It's seriously inappropriate to feel a little jealous now but she can't help it. She wants Yuri for herself.

Turning to the fire, she tries to think of other things. When she looks up at again, Yuri already set the emergency light facing the sea. The white beam illuminates the trees and shrubs in front of them, forming a silhouette around Yuri too. A silhouette of a man who seems so capable, so brave.

The man doesn't come back to the fire though. He walks to the beach instead.

Swiveling her head to the right then to the left, Jessica can feel fear coming. She can't be alone out here.

“Wait.” Jessica feeds more stick to the fire before running after him. “Yuri, wait.”

The man turns around, smiling. “There's no hog, Jess. Promise.”

“Hog or not, I'm coming with you.”

“I actually need to pee.”

“What? Oh. Sorry. Sorry.”

He grins. “Joking.”

“No. I meant if you want to, you can go. I'll wait here.” Fidgeting on her feet, Jessica looks away.

“Jess...” His grin turns into laughter.

“I won't look.”

“Joking, Jess. I was joking.”

“Right.” She blushes. “Right.”

“Fancy a walk on the beach?” He asks, offering his arm.

“Yes.” It feels good to hold onto his muscled arm. It feels good to walk with him along the sandy beach despite the cold night. The wind blows their direction as stars shine above, and the new-found feeling is bubbling on the surface of Jessica's heart again.

“When I get back to the mainland, I'll have a cold beer and hot tteobeoki.” He says, sending a gravel to the waves with a kick of his right foot. “What about you?”

“Seafood. I want seafood with perfect seasoning.”

“My seafood banquette didn't satisfy you then?”

“It was great.” She smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter