Chan

Sleeplessness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June 30

I am that kind of person that is overprotective to his family, especially to my brother, Woojin. I feel like he is my responsibility, even when we were still children back then, I always act like an older brother to him when it’s the other way around. And it’s really fine to me since I don’t want to be treated as the “young one”, I don’t want to be babied. Though I am not saying that Woojin is a baby, but I just want to take care of him. It’s kind of like a natural thing for me, to be held responsible for everything.

Like what happened four days ago, when that incident happened, I don’t have the slightest idea what to do. I almost panicked but my senses woke me that I should do something. Do something that can sort out the situation. I saw that Woojin was so distressed and flustered that time, his whole body was trembling that I came to his aid and held him on my arms immediately.

I remember saying that he should not worry because I am here, that we are in this together.

I remember the feeling of holding my brother on my arms so he doesn’t break easily, so he can just cry and let out all of his guilt and brokenness to me. I’ll catch it for him.

I remember hiding the truth to protect. To let my brother live a new life after this. To let him move on. I remember these things that I hope I, the only one who can remember. I just want the best for Woojin. And I would never leave him to this forsaken world.

 

Present

We already arrived in the sidewalk near the apartment that will going to be our new home for a while. After I get out from the van, the eerie feeling struck me. I feel the heaviness of this town, but we’re used to this feeling so I let it slide. I know how hard it is to begin again, to pick up pieces of yourself that were shattered to bits. I know it will leave a cut to my hands, but then again all of these are worth it since it’s for the betterment of my brother and me. All we want is to survive this life together. He’s all I have left.

The apartment is a six storey building and our room is located on the third floor. We’re supposed to live with our aunt but she said their house is too crowded right now so she decided to get us an apartment near to their town. I don’t want to burden her so I agreed with her idea right away, we’re already thankful for the things she’s doing for us. She said she would still support us financially even if our parents left savings for us in case anything like this happened. And it really happened.

I opened the compartment of our van and the two boxes, in where our stuff are packed, lay there bare. I picked up the box that weighed heavily and gestured Woojin to get the other one.

“Woojin, get this other box and I’ll just get back to the last box when we put these two in our room.”

“Alright.” He grunted as he get the second box from the compartment.

I slammed the compartment door with my right foot and we both went directly to the apartment’s entrance. The inside of the apartment was painted with monochrome colors. It looks plain though it doesn’t looks dead. We took the elevator of the apartment since we don’t want to climb the stairs especially when we’re holding these boxes. Christ, we already brought a few things but these still feel loaded. I looked at Woojin and he seemed tired.

“You okay, bud?”

“Sure sure. I think I just need more of sleep.”

“Have you taken your meds?”

“Um. Not yet.” And he smiled at me.

“You better do, hyung.” I gave back his smile.

When the door of the elevator opened, I caught the eye of a young man standing in front of us. He looks a year younger to Woojin and baby faced. He went inside while we get out of the elevator. The room that our aunt rented for us is on Room 315A, she said that it’s near on the staircase on the right side. It’s on the other side when you take the elevator.

I put down the box I am holding so I can open the door with the keys our aunt gave to me. Take care of yourselves. I owe your parents a huge thing. Love you both. Those words of her recurred on my mind and I can’t help but to let a tear flow on my right eye. I miss them. I miss our parents. But we’re here now. I turned the doorknob and pushed the door.

“You first.”

Woojin went inside and I followed closing the door behind us.

 

***

 

Woojin just got out to buy us some groceries for tonight and tomorrow. I am really worried for him whenever he’s alone but I know he doesn’t want to be treated like that. He’s still my hyung and I need to put my trust on him even on what happened before. I just need to be careful. Not for my sake, but for his.

I started to brush the cobwebs first on the ceiling then the floor. It looks like this room had been vacant for months because of the amount of dirt the room gathered. After sweeping the floor and the ceiling, I got myself an unused cloth and went to the sink to get some water. Swept. Brushed. Mopped. Repeating these three until the room looked like bearable to live in.

The room is still empty so I have to fill it with our stuff. I got one of the boxes that is piled with the two boxes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter