final

Window of Soul

There was a saying, 
    Eyes are the window to the soul...
    How true was that, Seungho thought. The first time he met the young man, it was the first time that the saying actually meant something to him. The first time that he saw what was it, that whoever came up with that saying, actually meant.
    The eyes. The eyes that were staring at him. The first time their eyes locked, he was mesmerized. The round shape of the eyes, slightly droopy on the outer corner perfected with long lashes. But it was not the beautiful shape that mesmerized him. It was the pool of dark brown that looked almost like a melted chocolate. Warm and sweet.
    And bright...
    It was the day he met Mir.
    He had thought those eyes were so pure, so innocent, so child-like, just so... kind. And as he work close with the maknae, the maknae proved that the traits that Seungho saw in Mir's bright eyes were true. 
    The boy was so kind at heart, never got angry at anything, just kept a smile on his face.  He was like a total opposite of Seungho. Not to say that Seungho was evil or anything but Seungho had a fair share of temper and he wasn't one to hold back. He stood firm on his foot while Mir, for the lack of better word, too kind one could have labeled him as a pushover.
    That was why sometimes, Seungho felt the strong need to stand up for the young man. Although sometimes, he did kind of bully Mir too, but it was out of affection.
    And the day they finally debut, Seungho inertly happy to be in the same group as Mir. He need someone to counterbalance his fiery attitude to keep the group dynamic went on. Not to mention how perfectly five of them fit together despite the awkwardness and the strained conversation at the early days of their debut.
    The day of their debut was the first day Seungho able to see trace of sadness in Mir's eyes. It was very vague, almost unnoticeable but as Seungho had thought the first time he met the young man, the young man's eyes were the window to his soul. It was so transparent to the point it was endearing.
    "What is in your mind?" Seungho had asked the day after their first ever stage at Rain's concert.
    Mir had turned to him and the flicker of sadness in those eyes faded away, replaced with the usual everlasting glitter of kindness and brightness. "I'm happy we're finally on stage."
    And Seungho was convinced.
    But deep down, Seungho knew, it was a mistake to let Mir on the stage. It was the beginning of it all.
    It was the beginning of the light to fade behind the shadow.
    The beginning for a soul to become damaged to the point it can no longer be healed.
    He should have known... He should have stop it...
    It was not unknown for people around MBLAQ about how friendly Mir was and same goes to the young man's family. And it was not too later that Seungho gotten close with Eun Ah, Mir's sister.
    It was the day of the first ever win MBLAQ got. They were celebrating and cheering, crying even, Seungho was not an exception although he would rather admit his eyes just got a little bit teary and he wasn't exactly crying.
    He glanced at the maknae and saw those transparent eyes filled with tears. Tears of happiness of course and it made Seungho smiled to see the genuine happiness in those eyes. It gave him more reason on top of their first win, to be happy.
    At that time, Seungho couldn't help but think it was the right decision to walk with these guys. To walk their dream together. To reach the top together.
    Their career hit off. Not as fast they had hope, not as dramatic as they hope but it was heading to the top.
    But just as they were at the top, they tumbled down together... And the fall is worse the higher they got.
    "I'm okay hyung. Don't worry."
    Seungho had noticed Mir getting distracted, mostly blanked out when they were not working. He noticed the bright sparkle in Mir's eyes slightly dimmed. But it was still bright so he didn't think much.
    He was hurt and was struggling to stop the fall, he didn't realized  one of them had hit the rock bottom.
    Specifically, their precious maknae.
    And the answer of Mir was always the same.
    "I'm okay, hyung. Don't worry."
    However, as time passed, despite the similar answer came past those small lips, the voice, the tone, the truthful happiness just disappeared.
    Since when...? Since when Mir started to sound sad...? Since when he faked a smile?
    "He is not okay." Eunah had said.
    It had been a warning. It should have alarmed Seungho but Mir's answer was still the same.
    "I'm really okay, hyung. You don't have to worry. Really."
    Seungho  didn't believe Mir anymore.
    One night, the night that everything fall apart, Seungho had grabbed Mir's arms, pulling the maknae with him, out of the company, out of the building, into the cold street and towards an abandoned valley behind a restaurant building.
    He had shoved Mir against the brick wall, demanding an explanation.
    "I'm sorry hyung."
    "That is not why I bring you here." Seungho whispered tiredly. Honestly, who wasn't?
    Seungho was exhausted. Joon and Thunder too, that must have been why they decided to leave. It hurt beyond Seungho could imagine but why... Why Mir still forced a smile on his lips?
    GO had been tired too, Seungho knew. That was why the main vocalist ran away, leaving now only Mir and Seungho. Leaving the name of MBLAQ and leave into the tall fort of army. None of them stop him though. Because they knew GO deserved a time alone for himself. Because they needed that too.
    Seungho was beyond tired...
    Everything was falling apart...
    And now... Mir was falling apart.
    "You're not okay."
    "I'm okay-"
    "That is not a question, Bang Cheolyong. I know you're not okay."
    As Seungho said that, he peered through the open window of Mir's eyes. He peered through the window of that kind soul. Before, he swore he saw sun through the window but now... Only darkness.
    "I'm okay. I'll be okay." Mir whispered brokenly.
    "You're not okay!" Seungho barked, his fist whistle next to Mir's head, crashing into the brick wall behind the maknae. It didn't surprise the maknae though, at his outburst.
    "I am okay." Mir cupped Seungho's cheeks with his cold small hand, forcing Seungho to look into his eyes, which was useless since Seungho had been staring into the pool of sadness ever since the start. "Look deeper."
    Seungho frowned but then his eyes widened slightly in recognition.
    There was little spark there. Little spark that almost unnoticeable. A little spark of fire that struggling to keep on lighting inside the cold darkness. A little spark that was so fragile and could be extinguished by a mere soft breeze but it was struggling. It was struggling to keep on lighting.
    "It's okay, hyung. We will be okay." 
    Mir had took one step forwards and Seungho felt warmth from Mir enveloped him as Mir hands rounded around his waist in a supporting hug.
    It made Seungho wondered if Mir could see through his eyes as well as he did to the younger.
    "We will be fine."
    Seungho broke, his tears flowed freely and he felt Mir comforting him.
    What was this?
    Why wasn't him who was comforting the maknae?
    Why was maknae being his pillar of support instead?
    Why was him who was broken more?
    "Thank you for always watching over me. But have you realized how battered yourselves are? You watch me but you forgot to watch your own heart. Don't worry about me. You should know by now that the little light in my eyes are you and Byunghee hyung. So, it's okay hyung. We will be fine."
    It was true.
    Seungho saw the light in Mir's eyes.
    Dimmed but alive.
    And if Mir said they will be fine, then they will...
    Mir is broken. They are broken. But it could still be fixed...
    And the light, no matter how small it is, it is still alight, undoubtedly.