First Meet

Photographer's Dream [ON HOLD]

Sehun's POV

That day's evening was no different.

I stood behind the lightbox at the bus stop near the garden and watched the 18-year-old boy. He had a camera in his dominant hand and took the magnificent scenery in a suave manner, as usual.

My lips curved into a smile and stared at the boy peering through the viewfinder before clicking the shutter button. The boy’s photography skills were elegant and sophisticated.

How Sehun wish he can be like him.

*snaps*

Sehun blinks for a couple of seconds. The boy was now standing in front of him with a curious expression. His dark orbs traced the surprised male's facial features, and grew nervous and tense. 

“Is there anything you need?” the photographer asks.

Sehun gasped, not knowing what to do nor say. He always observes his senior in the garden from afar. Whenever he sees him there, his heart beats faster than usual. Never did his senior caught him staring at him intently before which made Sehun's hands sweat.

“Um, um.”

Sehun facepalmed, he is unable to answer to that question. He must have looked like a weirdo for staring at another boy like that, but he couldn't help it. Since two months ago, Sehun chanced upon this photographer and immediately set his eyes on him. Eventually, growing attached and became his role model. He always look forward to clear blue skies and cool windy days as it gave him the opportunity to ogle and fanboy the newly found idol.

Many will feel contented when their idols notice you. However, it isn't the case for Sehun.

Sehun is a shy, helpless, and timid person when meeting strangers for the first time. He definitely isn't a good talker like his childhood friend, Baekhyun, nor a happy-go-lucky Chanyeol. In situations like this, there's no other choice.

As his hands continues to sweat profusely, Sehun knew what to do—he ran. The male bolted, not caring about his surroundings or the boy. He needed to shutting himself from the outside world in the moment.

This is the first time he talked to me.

***

Luhan was snapping photographs with his Nikon digital camera as usual. This is his favourite place to shoot photographs as the air is refreshing and the scenery is breath-taking.

From the corner of my eyes, I repeatedly see a boy staring at me. This was not the first occasion. I wanted to talk to him and ask why, but I didn’t darehe looks so dreamy and innocentafraid that I may scare him off.

He’s looking at me again, and today’s the day I mustered my courage, wanting to know more about him.

With careful steps, I approached the boy. His face was whiter than a sheet of paper and has a pink heart-shaped lip. He also has a sharp jawline and nicely trimmed eyebrows.

The first thing that crossed my mind after witnessing him was the word, 'beautiful.’ That was perhaps why cold sweat began to trickle down from my forehead.

Was I anxious?

As I narrowed the gap between the both of us, straightaway I noticed his ironed uniform and his name tag that read, ‘Oh Sehun’. I smiled, he’s a student like me too. This is probably his first year, while I am currently in my third year in school. My anxiety slowly dissipates—it wouldn't be too hard to talk to a junior right? I hope so. 

“Hey, are you looking at me since just now?” I asked cautiously in a low voice, not wanting to frighten the boy who seemed to be in a reverie.

The boy remained silent.

Is my voice too soft? I question once more, this time, a little louder. “Is there anything you need?”

I almost jumped when he blinked his eyes rapidly. My eyes focused on his face, waiting for an explanation.

“Um, um,” his mouth finally opened after an awkward twenty seconds of deafening silence.

I beamed, even his voice is soft and gentle.

I stood patiently, waiting for him to speak once more.

But it didn't happen.

My face instead turned pale when I saw him turning around and making a dash across the road.

“Be careful,” I muttered which I soon realised it was too soft for him to hear. That was very dangerous and it could turn into a bad situation. What if he got knocked down by a car? Or tripped on a broken branch? Touchwood.

As he soon disappeared before my eyes, I resumed my photo taking hobby. Looks like I need to wait until Monday to see him again.

***

On Monday, Sehun visited the garden once more, hoping to see the photographer again. From across the road, he glance at the familiar spot; however, the boy is nowhere to be seen—only feeble old people are there chit-chatting about life.

Paying zero attention to them, Sehun fastened his pace, and power walked deeper into the garden. Of course, he looked left and right before jaywalking. He now stood at the same exact spot the last three days ago, mind running in a huge train of thoughts.

Is he avoiding me? Did he move to a different location to shoot? Is he facing troubles?

Turning 360 degrees to catch a better glimpse of my surroundings, Sehun was frowned as he isn’t there.

With a despaired sigh, he turned around, getting ready to leave, but bumped into something hard. Jerking backward, “Sor

His mouth opened wide when he figured out who he just bumped into. It’s the same boy, the photographer—the inspirational photographer.

The senior smiles, “Aren’t you going to continue your apology…” and later continued, “…Sehun?”

Sehun was flustered, face slightly turning pink. How did he manage to know my name?

“I’m Luhan,” and extended his hands.

The younger remained standing still, unable to process his thoughts as too many shocking things happened at once.

Luhan chuckled and grabbed Sehun's hands without any consent, before shaking them.

***

Learning from past experiences, Sehun seemed to be a guy who is shy and reserved. Luhan thought, if he doesn’t want to come up to me, then I shall go to him.

I arrived at the garden earlier than usual. Looking for a place to hide, I decided to stay on the bench near the washroom. That spot is decent enough to conceal myself from the oblivious visitor.

I loitered at the area, waiting for what seemed like ages, till the boy arrived in a blue sweater and black track pants. My mind instantly thought he was going to exercise. Or wait, did he thought I will not recognise him in this outfit? I giggled at the mere possibility and continued to observe him.

I continued hanging around, contemplating when is the best time to confront him. If I come unprepared, he might run again, and I wasn't hoping for that.

As soon as I felt the time was right, I approached him calmly. What will be his reaction? Good or bad?

Ouch, I squealed. I never expected him to turn around this quickly. I originally wanted to surprise him from behind but my plan failed miserably. Why did my chest even deserve to get hit by his...

“Sor” he trailed and as soon as his eyes met mine, he stopped his sentence.

My reactions wholly vanished when he attempted to apologise. I smiled, still unable to control my emotions when his soft and soothing voice reached my ears. I said playfully, “Aren’t you going to continue your apology…” and later continued, “…Sehun?”

He was stunned. For a brief moment, I was uneasy. What if he left abruptly like last time? “I’m Luhan,” and extended my hands, hoping that he can at least know my name if he was to leave.

I mentally hoorayed to myself as he stood still. Looks like today’s the day I will know more about him. I chuckled and grabbed the younger boy’s hands, before shaking them like the happiest man on Earth.

---

To me, Oh Sehun was a mystery. 

He will be definitely be at the garden staring at me, but he wouldn't talk or say anything. That alone motivated me to unravel his intentions and true personality. It felt strange for the boy to act and behave like a timid person. Just one look at him will guarantee that he is a playboy. He looks like he comes from a rich family, been in a series of relationships before, and may even pass off as a Japanese!

We sat on the bench which was formerly my hiding spot. Sehun was playing with his fingers, eyes staring at nature. The longer I looked at him, the more I find him serene. He’s unbelievably beautiful.

I opened my mouth, “Why are you following me?”

“I-I’m not following you,” Sehun immediately looks up.

I cursed to myself, yah, Luhan! Following? Don’t you have a better word? That sounded so wrong, and it made him look like a bad guy!

I quickly added on, rephrasing my question, “I mean, why are you always staring at me?”

Sehun looked down once more, looking at his thighs. There were no signs of happiness on his face. His hands were now on the bench, face gloomy. “I…,” Sehun began talking.

My eyes fixed on him. As the silence progressed, I felt a little terrible as he looks like he didn't want to continue.

Is he leading a terrible life right now? 

Divorce? Bullies? It can't be suicidal thoughts right? 

At this moment, I look like a policeman interrogating a criminal.

“…I want… to be a photographer like you,” Sehun blurted out. As soon as the last word left his mouth, he stood up hastily and walked away. He must have taken a ton of pluck to reveal his true feelings. 

My heart swelled with his comment. I do not consider myself to be a professional or influential photographer. This is also the first time someone wanted to become someone like me.

My thoughts faded away, and all I had in my was to help him—give a helping hand to an aspiring photographer.

My left the bench and I shouted, “I will teach you everything I know… I promise.” Sehun stopped walking, and sensing no reply from him, I continued, “Meet me here tomorrow at this timing… with a camera… I will be waiting for you, Oh Sehun!”

My heart now felt at ease. How can I ignore an ambitious young man who said he liked me, and wanted to learn from me? Good job, Luhan. You did the right thing, I guess. If you were to ask me to teach someone whom I’ve just talked to, I will politely decline. But, Sehun’s different. He’s someone interested in me for the past three weeks. Please show up tomorrow, Oh Sehun.

 

 

***

At 16:00 the next day, Luhan was busily snapping photographs of Mother Earth as usual. He was too immersed and did not manage to spot Sehun, standing there five metres away awkwardly.

The way Luhan holds the camera looks so professional and cool. Sehun wanted to learn that too. His mind wanders aimlessly before I saw him look at me.

As soon as both of their eyes met, Luhan gestured the boy to follow him here, deeper into the garden. Sehun nodded and walked towards him.

“Where’s your camera?” Luhan asked, upon seeing the boy empty-handed.

“Sorry, I forgot to bring it…”

“Oh, no worries,” Luhan assured. “Do you have a smartphone?”

Sehun nodded pathetically and retrieved his iPhone X from his pocket. His space grey device was large and has powerful camera qualities; one look and you will know how expensive it costs.

For today, it’s mainly about technical details. Luhan began browsing the internet to find out the specifications before explaining what they meant. He then went through the different camera settings and functions to the boy who was a bit bored by the dry lecture. Honestly, there is no other way to explain this in a more interesting manner.

However, Sehun got excited whenever Luhan explained some tips and tricks that he had never known before. Also, some of Luhan’s favourite applications and pre-sets made him exuberant, and couldn’t wait to test them out for himself.

“Alright, now it’s time to see what you’ve got,” Luhan announced.

Sehun cheekily laughed and brought the camera up to Luhan.

“Not photos of me, Sehun. Take photos of the scenery,” Luhan looked away, a bit shy.

“Why, you look… handsome…,” Sehun spoke. Somehow the elder’s face turns pink with that statement. “You are even beautiful than the scenery.” His face got redder, and shrugs. Wow, Oh Sehun. Your personality is certainly not like that before. Aren't you the shy type of guy?

“Okay, okay, thank you. Now take some real photos and show them to me,” Luhan calmed himself.

Sehun gave a smile and went hopping around, finding interesting objects that are worth to be captured. On the other hand, Luhan packs his Nikon digital camera in his bag and fished out his iPhone 7 to take photographs.

***

After fifteen minutes of continuous shooting, Sehun felt tired and sat on the bench, observing Luhan. He’s still taking with his smartphone. Sehun was awestrucked—his posture and bright smile when he looked at its finished shot were perfect.

Sehun looks at his photographs he had taken. He felt bad as he was resting, and the photos he took were definitely not that great, he thought. But his fleeting thoughts soon disappeared as Luhan jogged to the bench moments later. “How was it? Let me see!” the elder said excitedly.

Sehun gave a shy laugh, “I’m embarrassed.”

“Come one, don’t be shy. Have pride in yourself, Sehun.”

Luhan’s swift hands fetched the smartphone on his lap, and he thanked god that the screen was still on. “Wait” Sehun tried to stop, but Luhan cut off his sentence midway.

“Not bad, Sehun…”

Upon hearing the compliments, the small boy looked away sheepishly.

“Who’s the picture of this hot girl?” Luhan spoke once more. Sehun looked at Luhan within seconds. He never took any photos of a female before. Is he scrolling through my images gallery? NO! There are tons of Luhan’s images in there.

Sehun raised his hands, wanting to retrieve it back like a preschooler. Luhan laughs, and handed it over. “Just kidding, Sehun. Don’t be so scared! And…, I saved my contacts on your phone. Feel free to contact me.”

Sehun’s heart squeezed. Are we now friends? I hope so.

***

The moment I finished my lecture regarding Sehun’s iPhone X, I saw him bringing his phone to my eye level. I didn’t know what he was doing at first, but I soon understood. He wanted to take photos of me.

“Not photos of me, Sehun. Take photos of the scenery,” I looked away, a bit shy. Even though I consider photography as my hobby, I am still camera shy.

“Why, you look… handsome…,” Sehun spoke. My mind went blank. He’s so good with words. My face felt hot, and I am sure that I am red like a tomato. “You are even beautiful than the scenery.”

Stop, Sehun, stop! Stop making me feel embarrassed. “Okay, okay, thank you. Now take some real photos and show them to me,” I said, hoping that he will start shooting beautiful images instead of me.

---

I jogged to the bench moments later as Sehun looks completely drained and worn out. “How was it? Let me see!” I said to the boy. I honestly wanted to see how well does he fare after receiving a mini-lecture from me.

Sehun gave a shy laugh, “I’m embarrassed.”

“Come one, don’t be shy. Have pride in yourself, Sehun.”

Since he was still a bit reserved, I guess it was time for me to make my move. With swift hands, I fetched the smartphone on his lap, and thanked god the screen is still on.

“Wait” Sehun tried to stop, but I just ignored his whining and scrolled through the images he took.

“Not bad, Sehun…” They were much better than what I originally expected. The images were clear and the lighting was perfect. With more practice, he can become a professional photographer.

“Who’s the picture of this hot girl?” I spoke once more. Revenge time! It was you who made my face red earlier on. Now it’s time for you to experience that feeling of embarrassment. Within seconds, he looked at me with a rather confused expression.

My heart swelled at the moment he raises his hand, trying to get his phone back. He’s so naïve and innocent and pure. “Just kidding, Sehun. Don’t be so scared! And…, I saved my contacts on your phone. Feel free to contact me.”

I returned his phone back with a smile. I guess saving my contacts on his phone will allow us to communicate more frequently, as I have no intention of ending our friend relationship after just one practice session.

---

I stared at my phone for the hundredth time today, hoping to at least receive a text or call from the boy. Apart from my texts from my parents, I had yet to receive any from Sehun. I felt a pang of regret for not asking his phone number. Now I have to wait for him to make the first move and I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Come on, Sehun, I know you are shy, but please ‘talk’ to me. My brain then sent a signal: Oh Sehun isn't a shy person. Look at his compliments earlier today. Can you imagine someone shy to say this to you upfront?

As if on cue, my phone vibrates and a text was received from an unrecognised number. It’s Oh Sehun.

I jumped on my bed animately. Finally! I’ve been waiting for a text for so long. I quickly unlocked my phone and grew a bit annoyed when the first fingerprint attempt failed. However, I smiled like an idiot as soon as I read his text:

 

Hello… It’s Sehun! Your student earlier this evening. Thank you for taking your time in teaching me some photography basics! ^ ~ ^

 

What should I reply… What should I reply… What should I reply? I muttered to myself. Um, should I say, ‘you’re welcome’ or ‘let’s meet tomorrow?’ Is it too generic? Argh, I can’t decide! I shuffled on my bed and as soon as I felt that I wasn't progressing anywhere, I screamed whilst exiting the room.

“LAY!!!”

I saw Lay, my brother, on the sofa with a blank expression. “I need your help!”

The boy in his yellow pajamas continued to munch his Hershey bar. “Studies again?” he asked.

I shook my head frantically, “No, it’s not. Tell me what will you reply if you receive this text.” I pushed my smartphone into his hands.

Upon reading the text, Lay gave a mischievous smile. “How about…,” fingers rapidly punching the keyboard. Whenever I face problems, I always approach my brother. He’s a genius! Really. “This,” and returned my phone.

I thanked him quickly and took it from him. My eyes grew wide as soon as I realised what I had done. , I pressed the ‘send’ button by accident, before reading what my brother typed. Happiness drifted away as I read the message Lay wrote.

“Ha ha ha. Just kidding, Lu. Pass it back, I will change it,” Lay continued.

But I stay frozen on the spot. I just sent this text, by accident. (Technically Lay is the one):

 

Your smile… It’s beautiful… and it drives me crazy. I think I am in LOVE with you…


TA DA! This is my first chapter. Hope you guys enjoyed it. If you didn't realise, I kind of wrote this fanfiction but stopped writing The Opposite of Solitude as I wanted to write in a new writing style. I am sort of in a writer's block for that fic too. (Please don't kill me...) I estimate it to be around five chapters for this one-shot. See ya soon!