Chapter 2

Unexpected Returns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for subscribing and leaving comments. They all made me very happy! It's a Monday and work is busy, but I thought I'd squeeze in a shorter update. I hope you enjoy this chapter too.

Solar had always been good at multitasking. She supposed it was one of the few gender differences that worked in her favour. It was this particular trait that helped her to keep part of her attention on the hip hop act performing on stage while making sure that the well-dressed man who had stood close and moved to strike up a conversation with her earlier did not go beyond surreptitiously sliding his hand around her waist from the side.

Solar ignored it, for the most part. Just as she had been ignoring all the flirtation that came her way since she had gone into 'training for marriage', a term she coined for herself.

Going into training for marriage was hell, considering the many opportunities that presented themselves around her.

She reminded herself that she’d gotten where she was in life by always sticking to a plan, and being married before she turned thirty-three was the next step. Her husband would be the ultimate symbol of her accomplishments, the final evidence that she’d left her history behind forever and had the perfect life; a successful career and an ideal match of a partner.

She was spending the evening at a bar in Hongdae well known for their music showcases and live music. It was part of her work; looking out for new talent. Although she had staff who did most of the scouting for the company, she liked to be hands-on when she could. It helped her stay in control, and she liked being in control.

Unfortunately, the singer up on the stage right now wasn’t anything special, and Solar allowed her attention to drift once again. She’d put most of the remnants of her difficult years behind her, and the rest would disappear when she found the right man to complement her. Or when a matchmaker found him for her. After spending the past year looking on her own, she realized she had neither the time nor energy to afford dating like a normal person would. Neither would the man of her dreams be from the entertainment industry or someone she had to work with. Still, when she first thought of hiring a matchmaker, she wanted someone with impressive connections and a track record.

Moon… what’s her name? had neither of those. As a professional, she didn’t usually let herself be easily swayed. But all that desperate eagerness had gotten to her, and her speech about being the underdog did bring up some memories. She remembered her awfully wrinkled top, her big brown eyes, those flushed cheeks and flyaway hair. Gosh, the girl looked like a lost puppy.

Solar knows now that she should have kept shut about her search for someone around Wheein, but how could she have known that the singer she now considers to be a good friend would actually have a friend in the matchmaking business?

Solar tossed her cocktail back in one gulp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter