Candy Lips

Under Her Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bright rays of the morning light passed through the windows of the elegant and expensive bedroom. The sunlight shone unwantedly and directly into the master's comforter, causing a trespassing lights under it. The master shuffled under the source of her warmth through her quiet sleep. Slowly rising from her position, Mina emerged and lazily rubbed the sleep off of her closed and slight puffy eyes. She looked up to her wall clock, 7:48 am. She blinked hazily at the indicated time.

 

"Damn it," the penguin completely took the comforter off of her body because she just realized how she was running late for her Monday, eight in the morning class. The girl hurriedly entered her elegant bathroom and took a record breaking shower. She quickly dressed, put on a coat, and grabbed her shoulder bag. Mina passed through her kitchen then she grabbed for an apple as her breakfast. "What a sad breakfast for your Monday, Mina," she sighed as she moved and opened her front door. The penguin double checked and made sure that her door was bolted lock, I blame this on Chaeyoung, she thought while running towards the elevator door.

 

The girl ate her chosen apple as she took a cab to one of the building departments. She rarely rode these cabs on typical Mondays because she always prefers to walk; but on rare occasions like being late, she doesn't have any much of a choice. The moment she paid the driver and got out of the cab, Mina almost ran on the way to their classroom. She slowed down when she had faced the entrance and controlled her heaving breaths, then she entered the quiet and tensed four-cornered room.

 

"The time of this class is eight in morning not thirty minutes after eight. You're late, Ms. Myoui," her professor emphasized as she continued to write today's lesson on the whiteboard. "I'm sorry, Ma'am," she said as she lowered her head into a bow. The professor watched the girl sternly, "Very well. Go to your seat." She earned curious looks and stares from her fellow classmates including her friend, Im Nayeon. The penguin casually waved her hand in her friend's view to dismiss her confused eyes.

 

For the next hour, she fought the urge to close her eyes and take a nap right on her seat. She lacks sleep and coffee to be exact; hence, she can't focus on her professor who now seems like spitting unwanted words that wouldn't matter in the future. Mina actually slept through the night except the fact that her consciousness was not fully subjected to her half baked sleep. Deep inside, her mind was focused on a certain girl and event. She suppressed a yawn, Son Chaeyoung, she thought as she faked her attention to her professor.

 

The professor took mercy and ended the class thirty minutes before its actual time. The moment her professor left the room, Mina slumped and rested her head on her desk table. "You're late and you're still sleepy? You're lucky that our professor didn't notice it," a girl asked as she tapped the penguin's right shoulder. "It's not like that, Nayeon. I just haven't had coffee since I was running late this morning," she explain, hiding the other reason for her tardiness. Mina lifted her head and faced her friend, "So, yeah. I'm going to get coffee and a proper breakfast then cave in the library." Nayeon hummed her agreement as the two stood up from their respective seats.

 

"Go energize with your coffee. I have my next class in forty," Nayeon said as she nudged the girl beside her. "Yeah," Mina lazily replied while she busied her hand inside her bag. "I'll just text you if I have any concerns for the day," she added, peeking inside her bag because she failed to locate the object of her interest, "Or not, I think I forgot my phone because of my morning haste." "It's okay," the rabbit chuckled and headed out with the penguin.

 

-------

 

The baby cub fidgeted on her seat, actually anticipating her professor's next assigned artwork. In fact, she has this constant flow of adrenaline running through her veins ever since she had discovered her art partner. The motivation that the penguin served put a permanent itch on her right hand. In short, she can't wait to work her hands into something that urged her back into meaningful art. The cub knew that it was guaranteed that their professor would assign a new work to their class, so she bought a new sketch pad solely dedicated for her partner.

 

When their professor finished discussing about spatial proportions and shadowing, as expected he dropped his new project for the class. Chaeyoung listened carefully and absorbed every detail regarding the next project. As instructed, the cub needs to finish it within the next two weeks and is needed to be in medium sized canvas. After her professor assigned the project, the art students — including the baby cub — packed their belongings and readied to leave.

 

"Aren't you all giddy and happy for this project, Son Chaeyoung-ssi?" the professor interrupted the cub who was in process of heading out of the classroom. Chaeyoung didn't bother to stop from the call of her attention, "It's just that I'm trying something new, Sir," she said while waving to her professor as she exited the room.

 

Chaeyoung walked on the hallway and fished her phone out. She typed a newly added contact name and tapped for her intended message.

To: PengMina
Good morning, the new project was assigned. Can we meet up?

 

The cub walked until she was out of the department and headed to one of the campus benches. Three minutes, four minutes, and five minutes passed but she didn't receive the reply that she was not-so-patiently waiting. She tapped again on her phone.

To: PengMina
Am I allowed or not to see you :(

 

Sad emojis always work, she thought and then waited for the second time. For this time, she actually waited for another ten minutes. She knitted her brows and elevated her phone until it was leveled to her face. "Why aren't you replying, penguin?" she whispered with impatience on her tone. "It's not like you didn't pay your phone bill," she pouted, "You're expensive." She lowered her phone while she continued to wonder what was the penguin's possible reason behind her delayed response. She tapped again, "I'm really excited to sketch you. Please, tell me if you're available," she said along the motions of her thumbs.

 

She could only wait for another five minutes before she completely lost it and called Mina. All three calls were unanswered and Chaeyoung just let out a defeated groan. The cub looked again on her phone, "You could've said no," she pouted, thinking for another way to contact the elegant girl. The adrenaline rushing through her body wouldn't just let her back down with her current situation. She tapped again her phone, but this time she messaged Jeongyeon because she might knew Mina's university activities.

To: No Jeong Bro
Do you know where Mina usually spends her time? She's not answering her phone.

 

With less than a minute, Jeongyeon replied.

No Jeong Bro:
You better not be disturbing the med student, cub. She's probably in the library since she can't answer your calls.

 

Chaeyoung smiled at her roommate's very reliable reply and sent her a text message, thanking her for her cooperation. Another batch of adrenaline rushed through her veins. The baby cub stood from where she was seated and then started to walk with a new sense of purpose.

 

-------

 

Upon arriving at the library, Chaeyoung realized that ever since she attended their university she had never set a foot inside. The cub roamed her eyes and studied the library for the very first time. Given the typical silence of regular libraries, the books are stacked into tall, thick shelves. The aisle of bookshelves offered different sections according to different available courses in the university. Passed through the shelves, long wooden study tables were occupied by probably caffeine induced students — mostly engineering, law, and med students with a few mixed business students.

 

The tiger cub diligently searched a familiar face that she had been trying to contact. After a few minutes of her searching, she found the girl alone in one of the tables on the far end of the library. The elegant girl — wearing a white blank shirt under a brown coat, black jeans, and a brown ankle boots — engrossed by the thick book in front of her. Chaeyoung spent the next minutes carefully watching the girl took down notes and flipped a page. The tiger cub watched the girl tucked her hair behind her ear, and her lips before she bit the lower one. Chaeyoung, with unaware dilated eyes, moved her feet and walked to Mina's place, not even sparing the librarian a glance of acknowledgment, "She is here," she whispered way too quiet that only she could hear it.

 

She playfully smiled as she stalked and drew their distance closer. The tiger cub purposively walked behind the clueless penguin's back. She leaned her face beside Mina's and wrapped her left arm on the other girl's shoulder. The actions caused the seated girl to focus her attention on the invading cub. "Found you," she stated with a quiet husk. Mina just blinked, Chaeyoung's voice always husked when she lowered it too much, she took an internal note.

 

Chaeyoung removed her draped arm and took a seat opposite from the penguin. On the other hand, Mina just watched the cub with her every actions. The cub sat, "Can I draw you?" she husked peeking her eyes to the penguin's. Mina gestured her hands along her reply, "Go ahead." The penguin conversed with her natural voice, must be the advantage of having a honey sweet tone. The tiger cub opened her bag to retrieve her new sketch pad and her pencil, "I've been texting you," she informed, not looking at the penguin. "I'm just really excited to draw you," she whispered as she looked up, "That I didn't take your lack of response as a no."

 

Mina studied Chaeyoung like she also needed to learn something from her. The cub rolled her pencil between her forefinger and thumb, "Tell me if it looked like I overlooked our deal and if you're actually busy right now," she whispered, "Because I could go." Mina smiled at the cub's gentleness, "I forgot my phone because I was running late this morning, that's why I couldn't inform you about my current location." Today, the penguin discovered the gentle version of the baby cub. Chaeyoung stared at the other girl with round in wonderment eyes, "Oh. We had another misunderstanding." Mina chuckled because she was right. They continued to worry with one another because of these misunderstandings. "Go ahead, sketch as much as you want," the penguin permitted again.

 

The cub smiled at the penguin's permission, "Look, I bought this new sketch pad with a blue penguin on it," Chaeyoung stated as she showed the cover of her new pad. "It resembles you," she chuckled. Mina chuckled back and feigned innocence, "It does?" The tiger cub laughed softly, "Yeah, it does. The more time I spend with you, the more I'm convinced that you are a penguin." Mina laughed at the cub's silliness and cuteness. Little did they know the librarian was already taking her focus to the two. "Isn't the penguin cute?" the cub smirked. "It is," the penguin agreed. "I'm not sure if you're pertaining to my sketch pad or yourself," Chaeyoung faked this confused expression on her face. Mina blushed unaware that the cub was simply messing with her, "I mean the penguin," she defended.

 

"That doesn't clear things up, PengMina," Chaeyoung rested her chin on her right palm, enjoying the flustered penguin in front of her. "The one in your sketch pad. Jeez, cub," Mina pouted which made Chaeyoung laughed. The exchange of banters were interrupted by an unfamiliar clear of throat, "The library doesn't tolerate loud flirting couples inside." There, beside them was the old hag of a librarian with a background of numerous pairs of eyes directed to the cub and the penguin from the other meddling students.

 

Mina shot an apologetic look to the librarian, "Sorry, we're not a couple." "I don't care," the librarian said with a menacing tone and then she leaned between the space of the two, "Keep quiet or get out." With that final threat, the librarian retreated back in her designated place. Chaeyoung just chuckled when the librarian was in safe distance from them. Mina worriedly looked at her today companion, "Stop it. She might actually kick us out," she really whispered this time. Chaeyoung leaned, inches away from Mina, "She won't. She's too old to walk back on our spot for the second time." Because of Chaeyoung's actions, Mina's senses were blocked. All she could see, hear, smell, taste, and feel was Son Chaeyoung, right in her very front.

 

From this short gap, Mina can clearly see how it seemed like she has not double but triple eyelids. No wonder her eyes look so beautiful, she concluded from her observation. She can only hear her spoken words and exhaled breaths; can only register the faint strawberry smell that she could almost taste it; and finally, can only feel the warmth provided by the cub's invading personal space. Mina averted her eyes before she completely and successfully be hypotized under the tiger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter