o6. Valentine's Day (pt.2)

His Cactus, Her Love

 

“When you use pheta in this equation…” The teacher droned on. Although I appeared to be listening attentively to the teacher, my mind was drifting off. All I could think about were three things: chocolate, Myungsoo, and practice. My palms were clammy as I tried to sneak a glance at Myungsoo, who was sitting next to me in his usual relaxed manner.

“Hey, Yooae,” Myungsoo whispered, poking my arm.

“Yessir!” I jolted in surprise, and turned my head in short pauses.

“What are you so jumpy about?” He raised his eyebrow.

“None of your business,” I muttered. “And I’m not being jumpy…”

“Hey, are you friends with Jung Airi?” He tilted his head. I stiffened at the mention of my best friend’s name. 

 

Why would he be asking about her?

 

“I am,” Suspicious, I slowly replied.

“What’s her favorite color?” He hastily asked. I did a double take and froze, wondering if I heard wrong.

“Sorry? Could you repeat that?” I swallowed.

“Do you know her favorite color?” He asked again, with a faltering tone to his voice. I drew a sharp breath, my smiling face starting to crumble. Oh, but not because of heartbreak- because of his obliviousness. My four-year crush just asked for my best friend’s favorite color.

“It’s…” I took a long glance at his face, trying to decipher his expression. He had an eager look in his eyes, and his ears were alert as he waited patiently for my answer. I bit my lip, caught in a mental tug-a-war between two things: my love for Myungsoo and his eager face.

“Purple…” I finished, feeling defeated. In the end, I just couldn’t reject that look that he was giving me.

“Thanks, Yooae,” He immediately grinned and jotted it down on a blank piece of paper. There were so many conflicting emotions inside of me that I was confused as to what I was supposed to feel. Should I feel happy that Myungsoo thanked me? Perhaps I should feel jealous? Sadly, the jealous side of me was winning.

“Why did you ask?” I held my breath, anticipating his answer.

“She’s actually…” He paused, a look of hesitation on his face.

“She’s actually what?” I pressed on.

“Never mind.” He tried to brush it off with a slightly awkward chuckle.  I narrowed my eyes, observing his awkward motions.

“That’s all for today’s lecture,” The teacher’s voice rang out from the front. The ringing of the bell shortly followed after the teacher’s voice, echoing through the school. I packed up my things, and walked out of the door. 

“Hey, wait!” Myungsoo caught up and jogged to join me. “I’m your test partner, remember?”

“You’re still hung up on that?” I gave a small snort.

“Of course! I understand why you would be nervous,” He nodded confidently as his words. Suddenly, Myungsoo pulled me into a random classroom.

“Hey! What was that!” I jerked my arm away, glaring at him.

“We have to practice, remember?” He pointed at the crowded hallway outside the classroom door. “He’s the one you love, after all!”

“Wait, but-“

“Don’t feel bad, it’s only you and me! Hold on, I’ll be back in a second!” Myungsoo ran off, disappearing in the crowded hallway.

“Wait! You don’t have to…” I desperately called out. “Wait, you idiot!”

He evidently didn’t hear me, judging by the lack of response. A few passing students giggled at my awkward pose. I quietly shrunk back behind the door, tapping the floor with my heel. Within a minute, Myungsoo had returned, panting.

“Okay,” He took a few deep breaths, before sliding on a pair of female glasses.

“Those glasses-“

“This is the scene where you’re at his house and you’re ringing the doorbell! Remember to say ‘ding dong’, okay?” He excitedly chattered, before putting on a serious expression. I nearly fell over, gawking at the sight of his rare ‘serious’ face.

“Why am I at his house…?” I spoke up. He shot me a warning glare, which made me immediately shut up.

“You don’t seem to be very excited,” He huffed. “You’re giving chocolates to the one you love, remember?!”

I looked at him squarely in the eyes.

 

Yeah, and you’re the one I love!

 

“Heh…” I sighed.

 

Oh well, I’ll just go with this practice. But since it’s with Myungsoo, isn’t it more like the real thing than practice?

 

“Hurry up!” Myungsoo hid behind the teacher’s podium, waiting impatiently.

“Alright, alright,” I quickly tugged down the hem of my shirt. “Ding dong!”

“Who is it?” Myungsoo imitated the voice of a female. He popped out from behind the podium, and quickly walked to face me. I gagged at the sound of his high-pitched, serious words- and his odd sound effects.

“Oh! What would like with my son? May I ask what is between you and him?” Myungsoo pushed his glasses up his nose, speaking in a serious manner.

“I don’t need that option. Just bring him out…” Irritated, I gave him an exasperated stare.

“Here he comes!” Myungsoo quickly dived behind the podium, rustling sounds coming from behind it. Soon, he popped out, clad with a baseball cap. He had taken off the glasses, much to my delight.

“Yo, Yooae! What’s up?” Myungsoo held up a peace sign, standing in a slouched position.

 

What am I doing here…

 

“Uh, you see…” I paused, holding the chocolate box tightly behind me. He was completely oblivious- Myungsoo still had a bright smile on his face. Thump. Thump. My heart was pounding wildly. I whipped out the chocolate box, clutching in front of my chest.

 

Thump. Thump.

 

“Um…” I tried again. Every time I tried to push out the words, Myungsoo’s exuberant expression stopped me. A blush crept onto my face, but I made no move to hide it.

 

Thump. Thump.

 

His smile…

 

“Wait a minute! Time out!” I quickly turned around and bent down, trying to calm down my red face and racing heart.

“If you’re going to be like that with me, what’re you going to do with the actual guy?” Myungsoo watched as I frantically patted my burning cheeks. He immediately backed up when I turned around with my clenched fist in the air, ready to strike at him.

 

You’re the actual guy. This is the actual thing!

 

But if I think about it, if we’re at the stage where I’m practicing giving him the chocolate, that means I’m not even on Myungsoo’s radar, right?

 

I can’t give it to him.

 

My shoulders slumped, as I bit my lip. Myungsoo’s smile fell when he saw my distraught face. He bent down next to me and consolingly patted my back.

“Calm down,” Concerned, he angled his head to take a peek at my depressed face. “It’s just a practice.”

My eyes shifted over to his gentle face, finally setting them on Myungsoo’s warm eyes.

“It’s okay. No one’s going to feel bad about getting chocolate on Valentine’s Day. Okay?” The corners of his lips tugged into another bright smile, as he offered me a hand. I swallowed, forcing back the tears that were threatening to spill out of my eyes.

“No,” I whispered, taking his hand. “This is the real thing.”

I gathered up all the might that I had, ing the chocolate box in front of me. “I made this… to give it to you!”

 

It doesn’t matter…

 

“Because I-!“ I hesitated for a second, before looking at Myungsoo in the eye.

 

Even if it’s impossible…

 

Taking a deep breath, I clearly spoke the words that I always wanted to say.

“I love you!”



A/N

dum dee dum dum. Anyways... take this poll!

I want to see what you guys think.  Ta-ta for now! 

 

Remember, I'm asking what you think, not what you want, LOL.

 

 

.