o3. Apologize

His Cactus, Her Love

 

I sunk lower into the bathtub, the soothing water calming me. Frothy bubbles covered the water, slowly disappearing with every popping noise. My cell phone vibrated, and I reached out to grab it. My hands were slippery from the water, and it took me a few tries before I managed to get it safely in my hands. A number of cell-phone charms hung off the side of my pastel blue cell phone, jingling as I snapped my cell phone open. A blinking icon indicated that I had a new message.

 

From: Jung Airi       To: Koo Yooae

Yooae kiddo!

Where were you? The guy said that you never turned up!

Did you get lost? Airi here is disappointed!

 

I frowned. She sure had guts to text that to me.

 

From: Koo Yooae       To: Jung Airi

I texted/called you a gabillion times… you never picked up!

Yes, I was lost and miserable by myself.

 

From: Jung Airi       To: Koo Yooae

Oh, my cell was out of battery!

keke. sorry, yooae kiddo!

 

From: Koo Yooae       To: Jung Airi

…right. Guess who I saw today?

Myungsoooo! It must be fate…
you know, he taught me a very important lesson.

 

From: Jung Airi       To: Koo Yooae

oh, really?

so you still like him?

what lesson?

 

From: Koo Yooae       To: Jung Airi

He taught me that sometimes,

love can turn into hate.

Yep!

 

From: Jung Airi       To: Koo Yooae

I don’t know what to say…

 

Just thinking about Myungsoo made my head hurt. I threw my cell phone carelessly onto my pile of pajamas, and stepped out of the water. I shivered as the frigid air made contact with my skin, goosebumps rapidly rising. Not wasting a second, I wrapped a towel around my self, and dressed as quick as I could. I sighed in comfort as I wrapped a Snuggie around myself- those blue, fleece cape things that I loved to hide under. Tthen… I remembered what Myungsoo said.

 

“You’re more of a player than I thought!”

 

It was his extraordinary talent of being stupid- and being dense to how others interpret his words. Deep in thought, I raised my hands, counting the number of times I tried to confess to him. A total of five by now- every time was ruined by one of his stupid comments. I sarcastically laughed, completely hopeless. Continuing to laugh to myself, I stepped out of the resteroom, and sat down on my bed.

“Yooae’s being  weird again…” My younger brother muttered as he walked past my room, catching a glimpse of me laughing with a Snuggie over my head. I immediately stopped laughing, and slammed the door shut.

Peace and quiet.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Miserable, I could hardly listen through my school lectures. Player. Player. Player. He called me a player. Someone who I loved for four years called me a player. At break, I miserably found walked to Airi’s next classroom, and sat down right next to her in a desk. I rambled on and on to Airi, as she listened and consoled me.

“He called you a player? And he didn’t recognize you?” Airi’s face was pulled into one of shock and distaste. “Yooae, I question your taste on men…”

“He called me a player…!” I buried my face in my arms, kicking my feet.

“There, there,” She patted my head. “I’m sure he was just too stupid to realize what he was saying.”

“Mm,” I muttered. “How am I going to face him in class? I just ditched him last weekend…”

“Well, you survived in P.E., right?”

“That’s different! I sit right next to him in math, whereas I don’t even talk to him in P.E.!” I shook myself. In out school, P.E. was separated- the males and females had different curriculum. Although we had the same period of P.E., we often were on different sides in the gymnasium.

“Act normal!” She piped. I remained silent. I stood up, and smoothed out the wrinkles in my school uniform.

“Fighting!” She shook her fists in the air, and waved at me. I waved back, and began the treacherous walk to my math classroom.

“Hey, student!”

“Hah?” I turned around to see an angry teacher approaching me.

“Why is your hair dyed brown?” He angrily spoke. “You know hair dyeing is not allowed in this school!”

“Oh, it isn’t?” I lied.

“If you have that much time to dye your hair, you should study. I don’t see much of a future for you. It’s idiots like you who always get the lowest marks,” He nastily said.

 

Wha-?! Excuse me?!

 

“Teacher, Yooae scored in the top ten on the last midterm tests.”

Myungsoo popped up in between me and the teacher, who was taken aback at his sudden appearance. He always appeared at the most random times. I was relieved to have him stand up for me, but I was still nervous about facing him.

“What should I do? My hair’s black but I got last place on the midterm!” Myungsoo twirled his dark hair around his finger, his face set in a sincere and determined expression.

 

As expected of idiotic Myungsoo.

 

The teacher began to snap, his face growing redder. The bell rang, and students began to disperse inside their classrooms.

“Ah, the bell rang,” Myungsoo noted. We began to walk away from the teacher, and I glanced over to see the teacher running up to us again. I hid behind Myungsoo, peeking over his shoulder.

“You kids! I’m not done yet!” The teacher growled, waving his papers around. Myungsoo remained silent, facing me. At the sound of the teacher’s voice, he slowly turned around. I gulped, seeing an intimidating look on his face.

“Yes?” He faced the teacher, darkly glaring at the teacher. “Anything else?”

 “Uhm…” The teacher limply waved, a twitching smile on his face. “Nothing, you may go…”

We walked to the math classroom, silence hanging in the air. I cleared my throat and decided to ask a question.

“Thanks,” I kept my eyes on the floor. “How did you know I was in the top ten?”

“Oh, you are?” Myungsoo looked surprised.

“You guessed?!” I glanced up at him.

“Not really,” He tapped his chin. “Before every test, I always see you studying hard in the library.”

“Just by that?”

“I figured someone who works as hard as you would be in the top ten.”

“Mm,” I nodded.

“Calling you a player was really careless of me,” He bowed down. “I’m sorry.”

I was speechless, and no words could come out of my mouth.

“Loving someone for four years must have been hard,” He stretched up and smiled gently at me. I bit my lip, trying not to let out the wide smile that was about to break out.

“You don’t have to go on blind dates,” He gently patted my head. “You’ll do absolutely fine!”

He still doesn’t realize that the guy I have a crush on is him, does he? As expected. He always noticed the stupid things, but never seemed to realize the more important things.

“You know…” I spoke up, catching his attention. “The guy I love… he’s really clueless, but I think he’s born with it. He says what he thinks, even if it might hurt people. He also says things that get your hopes up. But he doesn’t mean to do any of those things.”

I smiled, a small laugh passing through my lips. “It pisses me off, but I still love him.”

“That… was the first time I saw you smile.” He looked at me, transfixed on something. “It’s cute.”

“Wha-?” My face heated up at his words, which repeated themselves in my mind. What the hell is this guy saying…

 

“It’s cute.”

 

“Oh yeah! Who do you like?” He questioned, snapping me out of my trance.

“It’s a secret,” I answered, rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. After all, Myungsoo still had a long way ahead until he finally realizes how much he meant to me.

“Aww…” He whined, trying to convince me to tell him. The bell chimed- which meant that classes just started.

“The bell just rung,” He pointed to a clock hanging from a nail on the side of the hallway. “Better run for it!”

“If I'm late... you're dead.” I growled, and immediately started running. Myungsoo easily caught up with his big strides, and soon he was ahead of me.

“Catch me if you can!” He called over his shoulder, and darted around the corner. I grinned.

 

Just watch. I’ll definitely catch you one day, Kim Myungsoo.

 


A/N.

epic fangirl mode! LOL writing this story makes me stupidly grin. 

Ha, I updated two days in a row. For a lazy author like me, it's quite a feat, LOL.

Anyways, I love reading your comments! Dey makes me smile. 8D

 

.