o2. Words

His Cactus, Her Love

 

I snapped open my cell-phone, checking for any new voicemails or calls. Water splashed playfully from the spouts of a marble fountain, which stood grandly in the middle of the street. I sat at on the edge of the railing, watching the ripples of water spreading throughout the clear liquid. My hand twitched as occasional droplets of water landed on my skin. I bent my head down, remembering my conversation with Airi a few days before.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

“Yooae! Guess what?”

I spun around to face my best friend. Her face was bursting with enthusiasm and excitement.

“What?” I tilted my head.

“I got your blind date all set up! It’s this Saturday!” She responded, happily holding my hands and shaking them up and down. “Aren’t you excited?”

“Excited?” I questioned myself out loud. Truthfully, I was completely unconfident about my choice, but I couldn’t bring myself to say it. Airi’s doe eyes looked at me expectantly, and I sputtered out the first words I thought of. “Y-yeah, excited…”

“That’s great!” She tightly hugged my, momentarily cutting off my air supply. I massaged my neck after she let me go of her death grip.

“I’ll message you with all the details!” She playfully winked and started to walk away, her hair swishing as it fell past her back.

“Right…” I nervously laughed to myself.

“Oh. And don’t get lost!” Airi turned around and yelled, before disappearing from my line of sight.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Yet, I’m lost.

I frantically shook my head, rubbing my face with my hands. Airi wasn’t picking up my calls, and I was completely lost as to where I was. Slowly, I peeked out from behind my fingers to see a rather familiar figure walking across the street. Surprised and shocked, I nearly tripped as I pushed myself up from the marble railing that circled around the fountain. My eyes widened, as I couldn’t believe the luck I had today. It was Myungsoo- Myungsoo in casual attire.

Quickly, I hurried over to him. He turned around, and his eyes locked onto mine in a fleeting glance. I started to call out his name, but my voice faded as I saw his face void of emotion. His face hardened as he turned away and ignored me, continuing to walk into the distance.

He ignored me.

I was beyond pissed. How could Myunsoo just ignore me? He could at least say “Hello” or simply wave! It was common courtesy…

Depressed, I lumbered around the streets, randomly walking around first streets I saw. Airi still hadn’t contacted me, and by now, I didn’t expect her to. I gloomily plopped down on a wooden bench by myself. I shivered a bit, the coldness of the bench traveling up my legs. My eyes started to droop at the soothing vision of the large city buildings around me.

“Hey there, cutie!”

My eyes snapped open, to find a random guy in front of me. I flinched at his smirk, and recoiled to the farthest end of the bench.

“What do you want?” I growled.

“You know, maybe…” He toothily grinned, leaning closer. I could smell the foul odor of his breath, as he leaned in. I gritted my teeth, hoping to resolve this situation without punching him. He was obviously one of those shady people in Korea that often tried to scam young girls into doing it with them. I was confused as to how those girls would even agree to go with them- they guys looked completely hideous.

“Please go away,” I abruptly stood up, and started to walk away. He harshly grabbed onto me, pain shooting through my arm. I closed my eyes on impulse, my arm painfully throbbing.

“Hey, you!”

My eyes fluttered open at a voice. A voice that sounded oddly familiar to Myungsoo’s.

“Woah, Myunsoo?!” I blurted out as once as I saw the dark haired youth standing in front of me. I stood just centimeters away from his shoulders, nearly making skin contact. He grabbed my assaulter’s arm and wrenched it off mine. A dark look crossed his face, the aura around him grew tense. He was clearly angry.

“Oh, is she your friend? I had no ide-“ The assaulter tried to laugh it off, intimidated by Myungsoo’s seething glare. Myungsoo’s eyes grew sharper, directing sharp words at the scared guy.  He slowly took a step towards the assaulter, stretching up to his full height. He was at least half a head taller than the assaulter, causing the assaulter’s eyes to widen.

“Piss off.”

“Y-yes!” The guy ran off, stumbling over his own feet. My mouth fell open at Myungsoo’s complete 180-degree personality change.

“Myungsoo?” I tapped his shoulder.

“Oh, it’s Yooae!” He turned around to face me, a surprised etched on his face. He pointed at me, his mouth agape. “I didn’t know it was you!”

“Wait, you didn’t know it was me?” I questioned. He shook his head.

“What about earlier?” I frowned.

“Earlier?” He scratched the side of his head. “What happened earlier?”

 

So, earlier today, when he ignored me… it was because he didn’t recognize me?

 

“At least recognize your own classmate!” I replied, grumpy. He bowed up and down, repeatedly apologizing, an apologetic smile tugging at his lips.

“Want to get some drinks?” He looked at me, slightly tilting his head. His black hair brushed against his shoulder, a small grin on his face.

“Nothing else to do,” I replied, sighing. My inner fangirl was jumping around for joy. Although he meant it in a friendly way, this simple action wrapped me around his finger once again. I pulled my scarf closer to my face, hoping to hide the faint tint of pink on my cheeks.

He walked beside me, occasionally making casual (and stupid) remarks now and then. I kept my eyes directed at this face. He always had a cheerful smile that could draw everyone around him. There was absolutely no one who could dislike Myungsoo.

“And, here!” He grasped my shoulders and pushed me into a café. The aroma of freshly ground coffee beans and tangy scent of fruits filled my nose, and I followed him to the cash register. The lady behind the cash register tapped her polished nails on the counter, waiting for our orders.

“One iced coffee. And…?” He looked at me. I pointed at a random drink on the menu, before putting the menu back into its original shelf. “And a lemonade.”

“Thank you,” The lady turned around to get our orders. I followed Myungsoo to the “pick-up” counter, as we waited for our orders.

“One lemonade and one iced coffee!” The barista spoke out loud, and quickly shoved a tray at us. I reached out to take the tray, but Myunsoo was holding the tray before my fingertips could even brush the edges of the tray. He placed the tray onto an empty table, placing the lemonade in front of me. I dipped my head in thanks, and pulled the lemonade closer to me. Briskly, I sat down, quickly swinging my legs back and forth in nervousness.

“So what are you doing here?” He quipped, the classic wide-eyed expression still plastered on his face. Ah, the classic wide-eyed expression. I wasn’t sure why, but it made Myunsoo have an innocent, cheerful, and clueless charm that you couldn't find anywhere else.

“Blind date,” I straightforwardly replied, tugging at the ends of the dress. Slowly, I lowered my head to take a small sip of my cool lemonade.

“Oh, so that’s why!” He brightly answered. I weakly smiled, a bit crestfallen that Myungsoo wasn’t affected by that fact.

“You look prettier without the Lee Hyori look,” He grinned. Butterflies pooled inside my stomach, my heart rate accelerating too quick for myself.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, wiping my mouth off with the napkin on the cherry wood table.

“I never knew you were the type for blind dates though,” He commented, completely oblivious to how I felt about his words. “You're more of a player than I thought!”

My temper began to flare, as I clenched my hands. Pissed, I crumpled my tissue into a ball, and forcefully aimed it at his forehead. It hit his forehead with complete accuracy, and he flinched as he unhappily rubbed his forehead.

“What was that for?!” He dejectedly cupped his forehead. Hastily, he leaned down to pick up the tissue ball, sending the waitress an apologetic look. I wasn’t just pissed- I was devastated in a way. Although he had meant it in a joking way, he had no idea what effect his words had on me.

 “You’re the last person I want to call me a player!” I snapped. “Listen, I loved a guy for four years already. Four years. And I never considered anyone else during those long years! But to call me a player- that’s too much…”

I exhaled, releasing all my pent-up anger. “Thanks for the lemonade.”

 

Once again, I left him alone with his stupid, wide-eyed expression.

 



 

A/N 

I had no idea that people would like this story...

Thank you for your comments! 

.