Prologue

The Armies Of The Night

Kang Seulgi was dynamite that could not be stopped. She was a beast, with a lot of anger within her. She was a feisty one that always rose to the top with pride in herself and a strong disposition. Amongst her group, she was a feared ally that you wouldn’t want to mess with, the most loyal of all of the Warriors. However, her emotions got in the way sometimes. Especially after she heard that Irene was going to be the second in command for their expedition to the Bronx’s big reunion.

 

A spot Seulgi felt she deserved.

 

Seulgi had fought countless of enemies on town, earning a lot of respect and being feared amongst other small time gangs. She was the person to be the lieutenant! She had the iron fist to lead and the voice to command. Of course there was also that aching need to be the best of the best, to command instead of being bossed around. Or that’s what Seulgi was making herself believe, avoiding the cold hard truth about her feelings.

 

She didn’t care about being the leader, or the second in command. She wanted to win against Irene. They were friends, now they were rivals with a hint of respect and friendship in between, but Seulgi was so angry to take the news with utmost respect and with honor. How could Irene be so pretty, be so tough, be so… cool and good at everything she did? Seulgi was jealous, that’s the truth.

 

She was seething angry, with her fist clenched so tight that the leather of her gloves creaked with every angry step she made through the long pier. Irene was on the end of the pier, watching the sun go down; she knew this routine of Irene’s, she knew everything of hers.

 

Irene was merely leaning against the railings of the pier, feeling the tender breeze refresh her skin after the hot afternoon. She sported the gang’s vest with the crest sewn on the back, a black sleeveless shirt beneath it and her dark jeans tight. Wiggling the bracelets in her left wrist, she pondered about her new position and what she would do in the worst case scenario. However, she was ruminating about something else. Especifically, she ruminated on how to deal with the stomping beast coming right towards her.

 

“Hello, Seulgi,” Irene said calmly as she moved away from the railings and looked at Seulgi fast approaching. She was light on her feet already if the younger were to try anything funny.

 

“That position was mine,” Seulgi growled at her stopping right on her face.

 

“The reunion is this friday, Seulgi. How do you know that position isn’t actually yours,” Irene reasoned, crossing her arms and looking pretty calm but obviously annoyed.

 

“I heard Joonhyung was going to give you the position, and I’m here to change that.”

 

“Change it how?” Irene questioned now, shrugging her shoulders. “It’s probably just going to be for the trip. It ain’t going to make a difference, just loosen up a little bit.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes showed disappointment, in herself mostly, but also a lot of anger that needed to be left out. Irene knew that look, she knew that it would not matter to talk things out. Irene always talked things out with Seulgi, no matter how serious or how silly; she was the first person to uphold a truce in order to keep things at peace. Well, with Seulgi, she knew that peace was a thing that came after a fight.

 

Fighting was not important, not to Irene. But for Seulgi, it was.

 

And then, the fight broke out right there at the pier.

 

**

 

The sunny afternoon in Coney Island was an exquisite one to go to the beach, spend the afternoon there until late at night before getting up to some real action. However, there was business to be done.

 

Not the business Seulgi was eager to attend now that she was recovering from the soreness of that bitter beating she was given by Irene. Still, she was there and quiet--put in her place.

 

Eight soldiers stood under the blazing sun, wearing their colors and representing their group. The Warriors. All of them carried their vest with the crest on their backs, looking real tough and serious. They were not there by chance but by orders, orders of the man standing before all of them with his arms crossed.

 

“I know y’all ain’t too happy to be going out of our turf,” Park Joonhyung said loud and clear. “Especially in a place foreign to you and I. But you best know everyone’s gonna be there, everyone is going to be in the big meeting. Now, we have no idea what the is it all about or what’s the big deal, and I know y’all are having a few thoughts on your own. But it’s still on and we’re going.”

 

Silence befell upon the group, the sound of the distant ocean filling in. Joonhyung caused that effect often amongst his soldiers, where everyone wanted to say something but before they could say it Joonhyung already knew what was crossing their minds. He was a smart man, formidable while fighting and an excellent leader--even if a few of the rascals disagreed with some of his orders, he always put them in place.

 

“I got your thoughts in my mind, you know that, but we’re still going and see what’s shaking. So, here’s how it’s going to be,” he cleared his throat and gazed upon a pale petite woman. “Irene, you’re second in command. Stay by me.”

 

Irene looked at Joonhyung, side glancing at him and nodding her head once in understanding before looking back at the ocean far away. Her arms were crossed over as well and her stance was cool and relaxed. That’s how she was, very calm and collected--from her angelical face you would never realize she was quite a fierce fighter. For such, she had earned loyal friends and a lot of respect, but at the same time she earned a very formidable rival.

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes at the inevitable, looking elsewhere as she cracked her knuckles. She had a lot to say about this, but she was not going to protest, not in front of Joonhyung as he was giving out the order. Sometimes she was not a critical thinker and needed a lot of maturing, but she knew that this time she was to stay quiet.

 

“Seulgi,” Joonhyung said to get her attention, looking dead into her eyes. “You soldier the middle, you’re our heavy muscle. Understood?”

 

Of course she was just a heavy muscle again, seeing as the only possible position for her was taken away by none other than the woman whom she just fought with a few days prior. She sighed and kept the eye contact before nodding. “Understood.”

 

Joonhyung gave her a quick nod now that he knew she was not going to bite back. Then, he moved on. “Namtae, you tag up the spots. I want people to know the Warriors cruised by, you dig?”

 

Taehyun smirked and nodded his head, patting his messenger bag with pride. “You got it.”

 

Irene glanced over at Seulgi, who seemed to be eating her words and fiddling with her gloves. Her gaze wasn’t one of disdain but rather concern--a slight sorry feeling creeping up on her heart. Perhaps that was not the time to talk about it.

 

“Foxy lady Joy, you’re our scout. Walk ahead and let us know what’s the score.”

Joy gave him a comprehensive nod, crossing her arms with pride of the knowledge she had on the streets and being chosen for the expedition.

 

“Wendy, soldier the middle, you’re also our heavy muscle.”

 

Wendy grinned, gently prodding Seulgi with her elbow. “We’re the brawns, Seul.”

 

Of course, Seulgi couldn’t help but to give her a soft smile rather than any enthusiastic cheering. It’s not that she was still sore, but rather that she was not feeling like it.

 

“Baekho and Peniel, you soldier the middle, you dig?”

 

“Yes, sir!” They both said in unison before bumping fists.

 

“Alright!” Joonhyung said loud and clear, getting everyone’s attention once again. “Y’all know how this is going to be, ya? Ain’t nobody going to be packed, there’s a truce for all the gangs. I made it my business to make sure y’all got this down to a T, I don’t want the warriors to carry a bad name for destroying the truce, are we clear?”

 

Everyone gave the leader a firm nod.

 

“If goes down I want y’all to make it back here as soon as you guys can. I am not risking you guys being out there with a hand on the front and one in the back. Got it?”

 

Everyone nodded again, their chins high up in confidence.

 

“Seulgi,” he began, making the girl look up and making everyone suddenly look at both of them. “I don’t want you flexing any muscles, alright? Behave.”

 

As if Seulgi needed to feel more defeated. She could not bark back, but she couldn’t just nod in agreement, so she just stared at him. He was intense with his gaze, a real leader, it wouldn’t last long until she looked away.

 

“Alright, let’s kick it.”