Chapter 18

A Hunter's Struggle

They reached Boston the next evening, with Hoseok barely being able to function. "We're here guys," Hoseok called, yawning. "How did you manage this?" Asked Jisung as he stretched in his seat. "Lots and lots of coffee," said Hoseok. "Well, when I was with Doyoung we switched," he said. "Come on," he said, getting out of the car. The others followed after him and Hoseok grabbed his duffle bag, going up to the door and ringing the doorbell.

Minghao ran to the door and opened it. "Welcome back hyung!" He said. "Joshua-hyung's still at the bank, but you can have the two rooms at the end of the hall, Wonwoo-hyung and Dowoon-hyung are back," he said. "Alright," said Hoseok. "Who's rooming with who?" He asked. "Same as last time?" Asked Hyunjin as he tilted his head to the side. "Sure," said the others. They headed inside to their bedrooms and Hoseok got some much needed sleep.

Hoseok woke the next morning to some sort of shouting match going on. He groaned and rolled over, landing on the floor with a thud. Jisung sat up, looking over the bed and at Hoseok. "You alright?" He asked. "Yeah, just fine," said Hoseok as he sat up. "Who the hell is having a shouting match at this time of day?" He asked as he checked the time. "I don't know," said Jisung as he sighed, flopping back onto the bed. "I was having a nice dream too," he grumbled. Hoseok chuckled some and got up. He headed out of the room with Jisung following after him after a few minutes.

"What's going on now?" Asked Hoseok as he entered the kitchen. "Mingyu found his mate," said Wonwoo as he shrugs. "And that is a problem?" Asked Hoseok. "It's in Minho," said Hyunjin. "Then what was with the shouting match?" Asked Hoseok. "Er," said Mingyu. "He wasn't exactly good with the idea," he said. "He didn't reject you did he?" Asked Hoseok. "No," said Mingyu. "He just wasn't ready for it," he said. "He didn't reject me immediately, but he wanted some time to think," he said. "Jeongin's with him don't worry," said Hyunjin. "Hm," said Jisung.

"Can we have a team meeting?" Asked Hoseok. "I've made my decision, and I think it's time we sit down and have a talk," he said. "Alright," said Hyunjin. "Livingroom's free," said Wonwoo. "Did they give any indication as to when they'll be back?" Asked Hoseok. "No, but Jeongin knows to come back with him soon," said Hyunjin. "We'll wait then," said Hoseok.

Jeongin and Minho came back after breakfast, with Joshua going to let them in. "You know, I'd give him a chance," said Joshua. "You're his first mate," he said, shrugging. "I've given it some thought," said Minho. "I suspect that Hoseok has made his decision then?" Asked Jeongin. "Yeah, they're waiting on you," said Joshua as he pointed to the kitchen. Mingyu looked hopeful as they walked passed him. "I'll talk to you after the meeting," said Minho. Mingyu nodded.

"I know I was supposed to treat this as a real vampire hunting mission," said Hoseok once Minho and Jeongin sat next to Hyunjin. "But this was really a test to see what you would do as a pack, what would happen if you had a new member of your pack get captured and you had the choice between them and you," he said. "If it was an actual mission, you passed, because as vampire hunters we choose who is stronger to get us out of situations like that, you made the right decision there," he said.

"However," he said, leaning back in his chair. "Since I was testing you as a pack you failed immediately," he said, shaking his head. "What?" Asked Hyunjin. "Listen to what I have to say and you'll understand," said Hoseok as he held up a hand. "Minho figured out immediately what this test really was, and to be frank I gave all sorts of hints," he said. "Your pack also gave hints, but I guess you never got the hints," he said. "It's alright," he said. "You're still young, you can learn from this," he said.

"You see, if this was to choose between a new pack member and your pack and you chose that pack member well, what's to stop them from betraying you in the end?" He asked. "I figured as much," said Minho. "I mean, what vampires wear face masks? I noticed that Jonghyun and them were gone when we got back so it didn't take long to put two and two together," he said.

"This is why we split the pack in two like we did," said Hoseok. "You're in the younger category while Minho's one of the older members, the third oldest if I'm remembering correctly," he said. "I've had experience with packs like this," said Minho. "I wasn't particularly close to anyone in my old pack but we had a similar experience with a new member," he said. "My old alpha chose him instead of his betas, the guy turned around and murdered him," he said. "I took the opportunity to join this pack to make sure it didn't happen to anyone else," he said.

"As it stands," said Hoseok. "Would you make it as an official pack? No, but as vampire hunters? Yes," he said. "You made the right decision because everyone who is a vampire hunter would pick the person who is stronger," he said. "So, as an official pack I say no," he said. "But, as vampire hunters I say yes," he said. "I don't even have the final say either," he said, shrugging. "It's up to your council or whatever they're called," he said. "Now," he said, getting up and patting Minho on the shoulder. "Go have a talk with Mingyu, I need to go have a video chat," he said before leaving the room.

Minho let out a deep sigh before getting up. "Good luck then," said Jeongin. Minho nodded and headed into the livingroom. "Can we talk?" He asked Mingyu. "Can Wonwoo come too?" Asked Mingyu. "If he wishes to," said Minho. Wonwoo glanced up at Minho then at Mingyu. "Sure," he said as he got up. Mingyu got up and they headed outside to talk.

"So you said no then," said Doyoung as Hoseok started a call with him in the room he was staying in. "Yeah," said Hoseok as he laid down in bed with his headphones in. "I explained that as a pack you wouldn't want to do that," he said. "Right, because if this was that kind of situation you could've easily betrayed them," said Chan. "Where are you guys now anyway?" Asked Hoseok. "We just left Charleston, we'll be there tomorrow," said Doyoung.

"Oh, Mingyu found his mate in Minho," said Hoseok. "Really? Congrats," said Doyoung. "I'm assuming they're talking things out then," said Chan. "Yeah," said Hoseok. "Rejecting him wouldn't be a very good thing," he said. "Pure bloods who get rejected, ugh," said Doyoung. "Exactly," said Hoseok as he turned over onto his side to stare at the wall.