Unfolding Pasts

Before Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up next to an empty bed, Jungkook must have left earlier. I somehow felt emptiness well up inside me, I snuggled closer to the bed to shrug it off. My head shifted to the door as I heard a knock.

"Good Morning Your Highness. I hope I didn't wake you up." Junghye's sweet voice came in the background. I sat up and smiled at her.

"No, you didn't"

Junghye prepared the bath and sprinkled some rose petals and bowed. I bowed awkwardly at her, I'm still not used in being royalty. Everytime I pass by maids, they all bow down to me. I want to tell them that it's okay not to bow but they would reply that it's a sign of respect.

I'm just an ordinary high school girl and the next moment I'm living a luxurious life. It's funny how my life changed so fast. My toes touched the warm surface of the water and I slowly sank myself inside the relaxing bath. My thoughts melted and all the worry faded. Its been a long time since I found this kind of peacefulness. I submerged myself for seconds in the relaxing bath. When the feeling of my chest tightening came, I immediately went back up the surface. My breathing was heavy from holding my breath. Water rippled around me as so many what if's entered my mind.

 

 

***

 

I toured alone in the palace since Junghye can't come and accompany me. I was sad to hear that she has work to do which consisted of cleaning. I volunteered helping her and she looked at me like I had gone insane.

"Are you kidding me? You? Cleaning?" Junghye asked in disbelief as if I told her a and bull story.

"Yes and I'm willing to help you whatever it is." I said proudly, head held high

"You can't and you know it. You are a princess and I'm a maid. We are different, you can go and enjoy life while I just work around here making yourselves comfortable. That's how different we are." She said pushing me towards the door but I held back.

"No, we aren't different. We are both humans, we breath the same air. There's nothing different in us. We are just labeled by ranking that's making us different." I convinced her

"It is the law and the word is the word."

She sighed

"Seyi, freedom was taken away from me when I was young. My mother died from sickness and my aunt brought me here to the palace. I was forced to work here together with my aunt. Since then I lost the taste of freedom. When I was still outside the palace I envied seeing the other kids playing happily. I don't get the chance to go out often because I stayed inside the house taking care of my mother until her last breath, and I don't regret any of it. We are at the same age and you still can enjoy your freedom. I don't want you spending your time working. Enjoy life while you still can." Junghye smiled at me. She moved my heart in ways you could imagine. I was touched by her speech. People told me that famous quote 'Enjoy life while you still can' when I was 11 years old. I was hell-bent in going to college. Already starting to pick my courses. I dreamed of college as exciting. Having a roommate and being one step closer to your dreams. But I don't know what tears and eyebags it causes. To some people, horror to be exact. I'm already on my knees and my brain is about to explode in highschool, how about in college?

We went on and on. No matter how convincing I was, Junghye wasn't letting her guard down. She knew how manipulative I can get and she wasn't having it. I was thankful to have her in my life. She was the first person who helped me adjust. She was also my first friend here. And I am really thanking the heavens for meeting Junghye, someone I can rely on. 

I was walking alone towards the throne room when I saw Jungkook coming out of it. I stopped in my tracks to take a good look at him. 

"I know I'm handsome but it's rude to stare at"

I glared at him

"I wasn't staring at you" I replied in a sassy tone, narrowing my eyes

"Deny it all you want babe" He winked and my heart jumped a little. I heat up feeling his gaze.

"Don't call me that" I raised my voice

He chuckled, showing off his cute bunny smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter