FIVE

Mafia Bingo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin didn’t tell me why I was there that night.

His gaze hardened and I noticed his adam’s apple bobble. Then he insisted that he didn’t know; which was total bull because it was so obvious that he was lying. Yet even with my pushing and blatant shaking of his whole damn person so he would tell me, he wouldn’t budge. He just said he wasn’t sure yet and would tell me a soon as he talked to Kyungsoo.

“Really?”

“I told you, I’m not sure yet.” We’ve retreated to his room at that point. I tended to his minor injuries and we’ve both freshened up for bed.

I harrumphed. “Okay, then let’s hear your theories!”

Jongin’s expression became strained beside me. “Look, I’d rather discuss things about this when I’ve gotten more answers.”

Raising a peculiar eyebrow at him, I reluctantly let it go. “You owe me chocolate cake for this.”

Then his eyebrow raised at me. “Now I have a question for you.”

I nodded my head, a gesture for him to go on. Jongin had the nerve to smirk before opening his mouth to speak. “What’s the deal with Sehun and your chocolate cake?”

I stiffened. , right. “That was nothing.”

“Keeping secrets from me hm?”

“No!”

“Come on, princess. You can’t lie to me. I would know.”

“I’m not lying!” I felt his fingers hold my chin, then he moved me to face him. At such close proximity, it was almost easy to lose my train of thought, but then he smirked again and I remembered how much of a little he was. “Then tell me.”

Whenever I would try to lie, I had the habit of pursing my lips and/or looking away. Jongin knew that very well, so there was really no escape route at such a situation. “The café ran out of chocolate cake a few days ago when I was there, but then this guy paid extra for me to get a slice from the next batch of cakes. Turns out it was him. That’s all."

I couldn’t read Jongin’s face after that. “That’s all?”

I nodded my head amidst his gentle grip on my chin. “Yeah.”

“Hmmm..”

“Now tell me your theories! Consider this as an exchange.” He released his hold on me and began to turn me around to he could spoon me. He placed the covers on the both of us before saying, “Good night, princess.”

“Hey no fair. How come you get answers you want and I don’t?”

“…..”

“Jongin?”

“…..”

“I hate you”

A deep rumble from his chest. “I love you too. Now sleep.”

The weekend had already passed, and it was Monday again. Jongin’s plan to talk to Kyungsoo never came because the said person apparently had some business to deal with for Junmyeon. The events from last Saturday was still pretty fresh, but I was okay enough to go about my daily routines and activities again. My best friend said it was imperative that I remain “normal”; as if nothing is wrong and show people I’m okay.

“The more you show that you’re affected, the more vulnerable you become in their eyes.”

With his help, I found out who in our university are affiliated with their respective gangs. And it was only then that I realized how exposed I really was to these people. As we passed by Kang Seulgi that morning, I couldn’t help the slight curl I felt in my stomach. She was talking to Joy and Wendy, her facial expression remaining stoic.

“Kang Seulgi is the leader of Red Velvet, a mafia made of incredibly skilled and lethal females.” Jongin’s voice echoed in my mind. According to him, they’re a new empire but they’re already a force to be reckoned with.

She spotted me. The curl turned into frantic butterflies. And in the next second, Joy and Wendy followed her gaze and all of three were them were staring at me. I couldn’t help stilling, something that my best friend instantly noticed. Once he realized why, he wrapped a secure arm around me and urged me towards the building we were heading to. “Don’t mind it. I’ll have a talk with them later.

“I’ll come with you.”

“Absolutely not.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “Why not? It concerns me, doesn’t it?”

We’ve reached the room to our first class but Jongin stalled us by the door frame. “It might be too dangerous for you.”

“You’ve never been worried like this before and I’m surrounded by all these dangerous people all the time.” Has he forgotten that all these mafia people are our schoolmates? Classmates?

He let out a small sigh. “Yes, but that was when you were a nofie.” Nofie. Jongin said it was shortcut for non-affiliate; meaning, people who had nothing to do with the mafia.

More people came through the door and Jongin pulled me closer to him so I wouldn’t get accidentally hit by them. “Now they know that you’re not some harmless non-affiliate. They saw you there last Saturday, so they won’t just regard you the same way anymore.”

He had a point, but.. “You’d protect me right?”

“What?”

“You said you’d always protect me? No matter what?”

Jongin gave me an incredulous look. “Of course, princess. Always.”

I ignored the slight flush my face was getting at the endearment. “Then let me come with you. If you’re with me, no matter how dangerous they are, I’ll be safe right?”

He looked like he didn’t want to answer. “Yes, but—”

“Then I’m coming with you.” To further pacify that statement and avoid any more protests from him, I walked through the doors and left Jongin standing there. He didn’t appreciate that and quickly caught up to me.

Once we settled in our seats at the large lecture hall, Jongin spoke again. “I’m going to their headquarters after our classes.”

“Why not just talk to them here in school?” Jongin mentioned during the weekend that our uni was kind of like neutral grounds and nobody really screwed with anyone, especially since they mingled with a lot of nofies. “Wouldn’t it be safer here?

“Yes, but I doubt they’d willingly spill information at such a public place.”

So his original plan was to go there alone? “Yeah, okay. I’m really coming with you.” I’m not really much of a good back-up, but I could still remember my boxing classes all those years ago. And I used a pan to kill a cockroach once. Go figure.

Jongin heaved a sigh. “Yes, and you are not leaving my side, ever. We stick together at all times okay?” I nodded my head and gave him a thumbs up. And he just gave me an incredulous look and shook his head, as if he couldn’t believe how nonchalant I’m being about what we were talking about.

“Yeah, let’s all stick together.” To my left, the vacant seat was suddenly occupied. I looked up to see Jongdae, with his signature cap, sweatshirt and jeans. He offered me a small warm smile. “Hi.”

Oh and... “You’re not blonde anymore.

Jongdae grinned really widely, as if proud that I noticed that detail about him. “Yep! The power of spray on dye.” He settled into his seat and brought out his studying materials. “Anyway, Jongin’s right, we’re sticking together at all times now.”

A question popped in my head. “Wait, you’re in this class?”

Jongin, who was seated on my other side, leaned over me. “What the heck are you doing here?”

Jongdae switched on his iPad. “Attending this class.”

“You’re not in this class.”

“I am now.” Jongdae grinned in a way that made my best friend glower. I just raised my eyebrow. I took a peak at his iPad and saw that he even had the right book reference for today’s lecture. As I was still staring at him, Jongdae flipped open my own tablet and turned my copy of the book to the correct page.  

After doing so, he settled back in his own seat and stared straight ahead calmly – as if we weren’t boring giant holes into his face. “Jongdae!”

“What?” He responded as if he was annoyed at how we’re making a big deal out of his arrival, which we were. “You can keep staring, but you could always just take a picture.”

“Why are you here?!”

“I told you, I’m in this class.”

“We’re not even in the same degree program.” Granted Jongin and I were taking different degrees, too. But our programs were similar enough that we had this class together. Jongdae just rolled his eyes and booped my nose with his stylus. “Some extra units never hurt anybody, right?”

“They’re going to if you don’t fess up.” Jongin exclaimed beside me. A solid glance at my best friend and I could confirm that he really did look like he was about to snap Jongdae’s neck in the next minute.

Jongdae was about to say something when the professor the mic and feedback came through the speakers. After clearing his throat, he spoke into it. “Alright class, let’s start.”

Relishing in his silent victory, Jongdae smirked at my best friend and whispered. “Easy there lover boy. I’m not your enemy here. Let’s talk after class.”

True to his word, Jongdae went out with us after class. Also true to his other word, he didn’t leave my side. I was always sandwiched between the two men – something that is of natural occurrence even before, but felt quite different in that moment.

Maybe (most likely) it’s all because of the mafia fiasco.

We walked around campus until we found a quiet place we could talk. I sat on one of the benches available, and Jongdae immediately sat next to me. Jongin, on the other hand, stayed standing with his arms crossed over his chest. He towered over the other male. “Talk.”

“You’re forgetting that I’m older than you, I see.”

“Formalities are out of the picture in this situation. Now please explain.”

Jongdae rolled his eyes before speaking. “I’m sent to guard her, Jongin.”

“Guard me?”

A sigh. “Yes, baby girl. I’m here to guard you.”

“From what?”

“From—”

“No.” It was only then that I noticed how still and chilling Jongin’s aura had become. No longer were his arms crossed over his chest, they were already lying back at his sides. His stance seemed to be relaxed and calm, yet nothing of the sort emanated from him. Suddenly, he grabbed my hand and made me instinctively stand up next to him. “You’re not doing this.”

“You know I can’t do anything about this, Jongin.” The way Jongdae enunciated his words, it felt like he was doing his best to stay calm for all three of us. “Believe me, I initially didn’t want any part of this either, but he’s my boss.”

Jongdae stood up as well and took a tentative step forward to me and Jongin. “Jongin, this is neutral grounds so just…hear me out, will you?” He nudged his signature cap sideways, a mannerism of his whenever he gets nervous. “Sehun’s original plan was to send 4 bodyguards to watch over her 24/7.”

“What the fuc--?!”

“Exactly. That’s why I volunteered to do this.” Jongdae faced me and offered a careful smile. “I just thought you’d be more comfortable with a familiar face.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter