Dating Ban

Ever So Gently
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo leaned back in her chair and scrolled through her phone. Blinks had left over a thousand comments on her latest V-App post and she was steadily going through, replying to people’s messages. She wished Blackpink could make their comeback sooner; there were so many people waiting for them, and Jisoo hated leaving them hanging. 

 

When she first joined YG Entertainment, she thought it was a dream come true. For years, she’d dreamed of standing on the same stage as her favorite artists and living the life they lived. In reality, idol life wasn't all it was made out to be. It was a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of busy days, lots of rules and red tape, and a hell of a lot of waiting. 

 

And there was so much she was contractually forbidden from doing. Driving, clubbing, dating. Things that any normal girl her age would be off doing every weekend. She loved being an idol, but taking this hiatus from music also felt like a forced hiatus from life.

 

In the middle of her musings, she saw a dark shape in the corner of her eye. Jisoo lowered her phone and looked up at the door. It was slightly ajar, and through the crack in the doorway, she saw Jinyoung pacing out in the hall. 

 

“Jinyoung?” she said, narrowing her eyes at the door. Upon hearing his name, Jinyoung stopped pacing and then slowly opened the door. 

 

They had just wrapped up filming for Inkigayo for the day, so he had already changed out of his stage outfit and was clad in his usual jeans and crewneck sweater ensemble. His makeup was gone though his hair was still styled. She had always admired his commitment to simplicity in his fashion. Simple was more her style, too.

 

“Why are you dancing around in front of my door?” she said. “Got lost on your way to your dressing room?”

 

Jinyoung smiled, but it wasn’t his usual smile. It seemed… tense, anxious. Jisoo leaned forward.

 

“Are you okay?” she asked. 

 

It seemed odd that he would be nervous around her. It’d been well over a year now that they knew each other. Inkigayo episodes, backstage run-ins at festivals and music shows, variety appearances, and off-work meetings. By now, Jisoo considered Jinyoung one of her closest friends. 

 

“I’m fine,” he said, trying for a more convincing smile this time. “I’m surprised you haven’t left yet.”

 

“Unni is just in the bathroom,” Jisoo explained. “Sushi and cookies, not a good mix.”

 

Jinyoung clicked his tongue, and Jisoo laughed.

 

“So what are you up to for the rest of the day?” she asked, making friendly conversation. Jinyoung took a seat on the couch.

 

“Nothing, really,” he said. “I have a rare free Sunday. No schedules. Wish every Sunday could be like this.”

 

Jisoo scoffed. “Count your blessings,” she said. “At least you’re getting jobs. I just sit around at home, waiting for Yang Sajang-nim to get tired of MixNine and actually pay attention to me. We should trade schedules.”

 

Jinyoung laughed. “So, I’m guessing that means you’re free tonight, too.”

 

“Free as a free-range chicken,” Jisoo said. 

 

Jinyoung grew quiet again. Jisoo narrowed her eyes at him. She could see the hazy cloud of thoughts building into a storm cloud in his eyes. She waved a hand in front of his eyes.

 

“Are you sure you’re alright?” she said, worried. Jinyoung fidgeted with his hands.

 

“I wanted to ask you something,” he said. Jisoo widened her eyes and set her phone down.

 

“Oh,” she said. “Alright. Go on.”

 

He clenched his fists and then stretched them out again. He took a deep breath.

 

“You’re free tonight, and so am I,” he said. Jisoo had a crushing feeling that she knew where he was going with this. Her heart clenched, knowing what her answer would have to be.

 

“Jinyoung—,”

 

“I was wondering if maybe you’d want to do something,” he said. “Something that’s not sitting on your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter