Flightless Bird

Eyes on fire

His throat is drying.

 

His throat has yet to be quenched from the thirst;

 

And yet while fast asleep, he’s still debating what to eat for dinner— human blood, or animal blood (so as not to cause any commotions)

 

Chang Wook is living far away from the city, away from those humans who can kill him in one go; “Blood,” he spitted out, breath hitching as if he were hungry for years. Well, that was because he had been sleeping for 4 years now. He refused to be in any kind of interaction around the province he’s in because he didn’t want to clear out all the animals around him. He did gave them a chance to mate.

 

“Human blood,” Chang Wook’s breathing stopped, as if there were things running along his mind. His human maids were terrified — there were 12 of them and they all heard their master’s cry. Indeed, they were now looking at each other, still not knowing whether to move or not. Changwook noticed the intensity lingering around his dark, large room (his room was the only dark and sad one). He was stucked in his room with his modernized coffin (with a freezer, dim blue lights in his hard bed) and lit candles around— his room was well kept by his maidens, there were no dust nor any insects roaming around. The place smelt good, and it didn’t smell like it’s been abandoned for the 4 years he’s been locked up in his coffin.

 

Chang Wook pays them well. Some of the maids grew up with him, some died due to age. Whether sleeping or not, he pays them monthly. How? He just asks his human relatives to do so. They were close, but he still spook them. Even though there were not a single moment that he tasted human blood. Not. Ever.

 

Her mother was a vampire, but his father was otherwise but he knew, even the maids that they raised him to be a great crossbreed. He always ate animal blood, and his parents didn’t want him to cause any issues around town that they eat humans. No— that’s not how they dreamt of raising Wookie.

 

Ever since as a child, Wook never ever dared to crave for human blood. Well atleast not now that he’s over a few centuries old. 

 

His mansion wasn’t anything spooky around the block. His parents also made sure he grew up in a beautiful environment. With fields and crops around, colors inside the house (not just ordinary cement and blocks that most of the tales and movies show) It was a simple one where everybody won’t be spooked too easily; there were no black fog, no scarecrows, nor any other fantasies made by humans to scare children. They lived a simple, human life. 

 

As a human, there is no such thing as being ‘immortal,’ his mother tried everything - even after her birth, she tried to infect his father, but everyone knows that cancer is a - it infected his whole body even after the bite. The bite was supposed to neutralize every disease found in his body, but it was too late; The cancer covered his brain to the point that even the bite couldn’t neutralize it.

Her mother, on the other hand, fell on a great depression that vampires couldn’t get away with. That’s why their family doctor advised him to let her sleep in her coffin until she fully recovers.

 

“Pardon, sire?” The oldest maiden who stayed with Chang Wook during his 3rd century of existence until now hang agape, still confused. He wasn’t hungry nor desperate like that, she thought.

 

“Not literally,” he groaned in frustration. He suddenly didn’t know what thirst he was craving for, but he was certain it’s of human. Chang Wook’s fangs were already visible as he spoke, eyes bright in red.

 

Loud, sigh of contentment were heard throughout the room, and as close as the maids were with Chang Wook— they playfully complained. “You scared us!”

 

“We thought our next pay will be given to our mortician.”

 

A laugh was filled around the warm house. Perhaps, it didn’t feel like it was the 1st of November?

 

“I’m going out,” without further notice, he grabbed his cape, poofed as a bat - and the maids didn’t see a trace of him ever since that day.

 


 

As a pure vampire, Ji Hyun never actually expected her parents would stay with her for the rest of her life. Her grandparents thought she would come out as a cross breed, but she came out pure, without a single drop of blood that she was human. Sometimes, her radar is mixed — one day she’s human, one day she’s not. Sometimes it’s even in hours, or minutes. Her radar is not that consistent and her grandparents are worried about other vampires finding out about her. 

 

Ji Hyun’s parents were both humans. Jung Ji Seok - her grandfather, needed some kind of help with his new project: underground mansion he was working on. He was an architecture and engineer centuries ago, and he can’t do all the kinds of stuff that requires manwork (He can, but it may take some time) So, he decided to hire a couple. 

 

He feared them. For the family of Vampires believed that Humans have one thing that they don’t have: perseverance. That’s why in the middle of the night, he decided to put them as a part of the family without even knowing that Nam Sun Mi; Ji Hyun’s mother was holding a child.

 

Ji Hyun’s parents time span only lasted a century, because they were infected in their late 20s and they weren’t allowed to last as long as pure vampires last.

 

“I’m going out for a bi-“ her statement was immediately cut off when Mr. Jung, his grandfather shoots her a glare, which made her unable to move. Draculas like his grandfather have the power to stop a motion by just glaring. Ji Hyun knew about this but she didn’t know that throughout the centuries, it’s today that she’ll experience it. 

 

She can breathe, but she can’t move her body. It’s like being in a sleep paralysis but she’s not sleeping at all. Slowly, she started to elevate from the surface, syncing with his grandfather’s glare. “G-grandf-f-fat-ther...” she was being strangled this time, and all she could do was roll her eyes out, trying to grasp air.

 

Finally and fortunately, her grandmother came in and slapped the hell out of her grandfather’s head. “What are you doing? Has Ji Hyun become your prey?” Ji Hyun has now fell down from the floor, still holding her neck from the sudden fall. Mrs. Jung was glaring at the man, still pale from the current thirst he’s experiencing.

 

“Is she Ji Hyun?” he gasped, still can’t believe on how his sense betrayed him. He immediately stood up to help Ji Hyun stand up, but his wife threw him with her bare hands, her sighs full of exasperation. 

 

The dracula was so heavy and powerful to the point that his back made the old cement break from their dark, creepy underground. “Next time you make sure you aren’t so forgetful that we have an abnormal hybrid in this house,” she immediately rushed towards Ji Hyun’s direction, pulling her up. 

 

Mrs. Jung didn’t accept Ji Hyun at first - but due to her pure heart and bubbly smiles that made this mansion even interesting and made their mood lift up immediately in her presence - she decided to take her in as her ‘granddaughter’

 

“Please let me out just this once, I’m not going to be detected - I know it’s going to be hard, but I’ll promise I’ll try.” she pleaded. She never really pleaded this hard, Mrs. Jung thought. She was like a precious, expensive bird locked in a small gold bird cage after all. 

 

It is understandable that her grandmother didn’t want her to be detected, since it would be a big problem if Ji Hyun was gone. Mrs. Jung turned around to think, glaring at his husband for further suggestions, but failed to get some answers.

 

After that, Ji Hyun transformed as a bat, after gathering all her things in the area.

 

She needed her lone time, after all.

 


 

Chang Wook was out for days, but that was not to hunt. He was so certain he was searching for something, but he couldn’t figure out what.

 

“Damn this is getting confusing,” he cursed under his breath as he rushed through the forest near his mansion, satisfied about the feeling of being out again. He would either climb the trees only with his foot like running on a treadmill, or play with a deer (atleast he’s not even tempted to eat their meat) or he’ll lie down beside a river, attempting to fish with his rod but as hotheaded as he could be, he just tried to grab one with his bare hand and feed one to the wolves. 

 

“What’s wrong?” one of the wolves spoke right after he ate what Chang Wook had offered. He can smell through his emotions - those eyes sparkling confusion and desires. Yes, he can speak. The wolves are very close with his family, not all though. Her parents, mostly her mother helped most of the wolves from the grasp of other cruel vampires. 

 

“I don’t know. There are some desires that I’m currently feeling. I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting older, or I’m just hungry as hell.” he stated in assurance, still furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

 

“Maybe it’s ual?” 

 

An immediate questioned look was given to the latter, but he managed to answer, though. “Uh-uh.”

 

“Maybe it’s affection. With a human. You’re a crossbreed, after all.”

 

He wondered for a moment. He wasn’t sure about how the wolf emphasized that, but he was sure that that was the answer. A loud thump was heard and the wolf bid his goodbye. It was a tree that fell, he was so sure. It sounded loud and heavy. “Who’s there?” he called out. Chang Wook tried to smell the whole scene.

 

He smelled the autumn’s dried leaves, fish’s fresh flesh, the damp fertilizers, and the warm breeze that’s tickling his skin. The sun was far, thankfully - and one thing that caught his attention was a glimpse of a smell of a human. The smell didn’t even last a minute, or a second. It lasted for damn half a sec!

 

“What are you?” he murmurs, still trying to get a grip of what he’s smelling. He smelled a vampire after that though, he made a conclusion that maybe that human was already bitten and infected.

 

Before he was about to go his own way to discover new things in the past 4 years he’s missed, he heard a scream of a woman (an angry one, he supposed) from the sky. He turned his attention to the sight, then. Unable to even respond, he was pinned back to the floor. The woman hovering on top of him, strangling him while holding a sharp wooden tool with her free hand. 

 

“Human.” 

“Human.”

 

Their eyes were searchingly exchanging each others’, searching through their own souls.

 

Finally, they both stopped.