Chapter 11

Catching Feelings

It was a  shocking news for my mom to hear that Han Sora suffered malnutrition before she and I cooked her some delicious meals. It turned out she was recovering so fast and in two days, she was permitted to go home by the doctor.

She was all being quiet at the hospital, just asking about my training and whether I had taken my dinner or not. I scolded her for being worried about me but herself. When I was taking her home, she brought the topic we kept ourselves silent for days.

"They didn't say anything weird to you, right?"

"That you need a company here. That's all what they said to me. And I told them that I will take care of you."

"If it's all then, there's nothing to talk more about them."

 

Of course, I did not tell her the truth.

 

I promised her uncle and aunt not to tell her that I knew everything. That she was going to go with them, just after the graduation day later. And for that reason, I won't show the fear of losing her even if I'm teared up apart inside. So she could remove anything in her head that burden her and distress her right now. Just look at her condition, I knew that the appearance of her Uncle and Aunt that day at school was taking responsibility for her absence at school before.

 

"You don't have burden yourself, Do Kyungsoo. You need to be focus on  your training instead."

I just nod at her words, figuring a fake smile so she wouldn't worry me that much. 

"Han Sora, can I ask something?"

"What's that?"

"Call me like you always did before. Every night. It's enough to cheer me up."
I asked her with the widest smile I could draw on my face. 

"But, it's a waste of money then..."

"Ya! Why are you like this?"


I chased her who is now reaching her apartment door, and grabbed her waist before she succeeded and made our bodies bumped into each other.
She was dying of laughter in my embrace, and we stared for a moment while giggling until it became so awkward that I finally let her free of my arms.

"Sorry.."

"What for?"

"Because I hold you like that..."

"Aren't you sorry for kissing me back then? You made me fainted before."

"Aaah... Th that's... I, I was carried away in my feelings. Besides, you hugged me first!" 

She smirked teasingly after hearing my nervous answer. How cruel she dared asking about that. I couldn't control my feelings back then. Not even now, actually.


She started taking steps towards me as I watched her blankly. Just like yesterday, she hugged me tight and rest her head on my shoulder. I was stiff there hesitating to do something because of her unexpected action.


"I hugged you this way so you'll be warm. That night was so cold because of the first snow. Even now."

 

"Aah... I thought there was another reason."


She broke the hug and took steps back to her door. Just before closing the door, she looked at me and threw me a smile after she fixed her long bangs and inserted them behind her ears.

"Whatever comes into your mind, Kyungsoo, that is right. There are other reasons. Many of them."

"Real really?"

"Yes." She closed her door first.

"Thankyou, Kyungsoo-ya." Then she opened again for the second time,

And lastly "Goodnight."


She ended our conversation so fast, definitely hiding her true feeling that made me even more curious about it.
I never knew that seeing her closing that door turned out to be a tickling memory that made me hard to close my eyes at nights.

 

Somehow this good mood stayed inside me for weeks. Although I didn't spend time more than before with my family or her, I could see a better expression from their face, I could see that their worries wiped away after I spoke up about my condition back then and now. Besides, she regularly call me just like I asked her. Simply asking about how the training went or what I had for dinner, making Park Chanyeol teased me behind my back. But, that's enough to make me giggled all the way, making others who see me questioned about my changed mood lately.

Looking back then, I realized that I had sacrificed my time enough, and all the worries from the people I love. I can't let them down for too long anymore. 

I had fought my own self before, my own friends who actually rivals when it came to debut matter, being greedy and let my ambitions consumed me all these months, just to survive in that wild world they called entertainment. 

Those promises was sweet at first, saying that we're talented enough to be debuted soon, but no assurance made us feel restless. So, all I can do was practicing like crazy, all the choreo, all the vocal record, and everything they told me to do. Chanyeol often said to take a rest and stop being a mad dog when it came into practice, but I didn't want to spend more time being ignored by the company and postponed to be debuted. 


No one can guarantee that I could secure my place in the group, moreover because that misunderstanding while we're in China before. I was the one and only who got the accusation while the others also did the same mistake. I admitted my mistake for playing that PSP during TVXQ sunbaenim concert, but hey the other trainees did too, and that was in a very short time during the ment. I had shown my remorse for that through my hard work more than anyone in the group. I spent so much time for practicing the choreo with Kai, and consulted to many sunbaenims a lot about how to dance and sing properly. I am lucky enough to get help from Ryeowook and Shindong hyung during the recess time so I could ease my mind a bit.

 

And those hardwork was finally paid off.

 

Just at the beginning of the following month, the company finally announced the names who would sign the contract under the group named EXO. And I was one of them. I was happy but somehow disappointed at the same time, because some of my friends couldn't make it until debut. They told me that I was also voted to be the candidate of the group leader. That was very shocking because I don't really have a reason to be, but still I would like to give it a try.

I shared this news to my family for the first time. They were very happy to hear that and we did some celebration by throwing feast at dinner. Eomma cooked my favorite dishes, which I ate until my stomach overload. It was the first time I had "real" dinner after a long time, and I didn't hold my hunger anymore. that diet. I just ate rice as much as I wanted tonight.

 

"It's too bad you didn't invite Han Sora, Do Kyungsoo." 

said Eomma to me when I was helping her while washing dishes.

"She helped me a lot to soften your heart before."

She smiled as I thanked her then hugged her tight, making her surprised because of my sudden attack.

"You should've thanked her, Kyungsoo-ya. Ask her for a date for example."

Hearing a tease from my mom made me smiling sheepishly and the memory of that night rewinded in my head. It was the sweetest memory I ever shared with a girl. I didn't think any other date could be more special than that.


"Hmm actually I already thanked her by kissing under the first snow, Eomma."

"Eommo! You're just like any other man, Do Kyungsoo!"

She flicked my forehead and I was pretending like it hurt so much making we both bursted into laughter.

"It was only on the forehead, Eomma. And she fainted after that."

"Yaaa! You shouldn't do that to a girl! Moreover because she isn't your girlfriend yet."

I was silenced at my mom's word. She was right, we were not in that kind of relationship. At first, I thought it was fun just catching feelings with each other and spend our time together just like other couples without being in a relationship.

But the truth is, in my deepest heart, I want it more. I want to be her only man, to be always beside her and protect her as long as I had the chance to. 

As long as the time permits us to be together.

Because I know that not long again, we will pave our different paths. And the road we are walking together now will soon to be apart. I wasn't the one who can stop that from happening. Not even her.


I guess it's not our fault to meet each other and fall in love at the moment, it's just the timing which is not right for us. So, before time do us apart, I should do something to create more happy moments with her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That heavy word which makes my tongue stiff everytime I tried to say it, never been successfully slipped out of my mouth although I had practiced over and over in front of the mirror, making Seungsoo Hyung teased me all the time. 
But today, I would give another try.
Even if I didn't know what her answer would be.

After coming back from the hospital, she didn't seem so comfortable working at the cafe. I could tell because she less spiritful at doing her job. She finally told me that she quit with making up the final exam excuses. Her boss asked her to stay and promised her to cut her work time, but no one would win over her stubborn will.

Since she got a lot of free time now, she improved her grades at school. She was so intelligent naturally, but these whole time she was just being lazy so her grades were no different with me.

"I did this on purpose."
"To help you prepared for the final exam."

She said to me with a firm facial expressions that brought a sincere smile on my face.
She personally gave me private study enrichments at break time and sometimes at weekend too.
She even made me a little notes containing all the summarized topic in every subjects so I could read it on the bus/subway. 

"Let's have dinner together tonight. I know a good place which sells the best buljajjang."

She didn't respond me as usual. But I took her silence as a yes.

"Let's go after school."

"Don't you have to go to the studio?"

"Aniyo, I had no practice today."

"It's so cold outside..."

"I'll keep you warm then. Please,"

She was more understanding lately, maybe because she knew that I still had that unstable mood so she agreed to the idea very fast after I pouted my lips.

"Okay... But, no treat."

"Why?"

"Because it would feel like..."
She stopped her words and unable to continue it.


"A date?" I asked.

"Then we have dated since you treat me watching Hugo back then." I replied, emphasizing my intention.


She avoided eye contact with me but I locked my eyes on her, seeing that she gulped once and noticing the sudden blushes on her cheeks.

"It was not a date back then."

"Then, it's not a date too, today. But if you are not comfortable with me, I wouldn't force you to go."

"No, I am comfortable with you."

She replied instantly at my provocation, and that was cute when she was regretting her response by bitting her lower lips and avoided my eyes again.

"If it's like that, then we'll go."

I smiled so proudly since I won over her argument this time. Why is it so fun seeing her so shy in front of me? It was a beautiful view to see her flustered like this. Not to mention, there were a racing heart thumps inside my chest as well.

It has been so natural for us to hold hands while walking the streets. It's comfortable to share warmth with her since the temperature has been colder as the winter started this week. It was also intended to keep her walk safely beside me, because of the slippery ground.


The streets was covered by thin snow by now, making the city beautiful in a different way. Luckily, the snow didn't fall hard today so it wasn't so freezing to go out.


While waiting at the bus stop, I took her shoulder and made her body close to me, my right hand stayed at her right arm to keep her there. She whispered to me to let her off, but I furrowed my eyebrows, as an initial step before my argument.


"I just wanna make you warm, just like I promised you before."

"But, everyone's watching."

"Then what?"


She parted her lips to speak up something, but nothing got out until the bus came. That position between me and her stayed the same because we had to stand up all the way due to the crowd inside the bus. She could be embarrassed because there were many our school students at the bus, and some of them checking on us with a judging gaze.

 

Han Sora, sorry if I'm only showing it instead of saying it.

 

Finally we arrived at the restaurant. As soon as we got in to the shop, they almost ran of chairs, so we took the remaining spot at the corner. The restaurant was famous for its noodles. Of the noodles here, I'd prefer their spicy buljjajjang. It was suitable to make our bodies warm up in the freezing temperature like now.


"It's very crowded here. But the smoke was delicious to smell."

I could see that she is excited to eat her dinner tonight, as if her eyes were glowing when she looked at me. Not to mention her impatient moves with her shoes, making me stared at her like a fool.

"How was your family dinner? Did you cook?"

"Aniyo, Eomma cooked them all. I was just helping and stealing her recipe. It's too bad you couldn't come."

"Well, I wasn't someone important to interfere in your family occasion."

"Actually, you are."

Just after I said that with my serious look, the waiter came and served the noodles to our table. I was so excited eating my buljjajjang while she was just eating it slowly, and sometimes only rolling her chopsticks inside the bowl, blankly staring at the bowl, lost in her own thinking.

"You don't like it?"

"Eh? Aniyo. I like it. It's delicious."

She finished half of her noodle in a minute after I asked her so. Eating fast made her cheeks filled with noodles as she tried hard to swallow. Making her looked so cute in her way.

Suddenly, she held her breath for a while and ended with a hiccup.
I chuckled when I saw her hiccuping, but hurriedly ordered water to the waiter. She was mad at me, but everytime she was trying to scold me, another hiccup .
The waiter came with two glasses of water as I asked before. She drank it in one shot, making me feel happy seeing her eat so well.

"I'm full now. What if my body got swollen tomorrow?"

"It's okay. I will still like you like always."

I bit my lower lip, realizing what I had said before. Did I just slipped those words unconsciously? I felt a sudden thirst and hurriedly drank my water in oneshot too. It was making the atmosphere around us so awkward.

"The others queuing waiting for seats, Kyungsoo-ya. Maybe we should get going."

"Uh... Yes. I'll pay it right away. Just. Now."

I couldn't find her at our seat after I paid at the cashier, she must be outside by now. So I rushed going out, while excuse myself among the other customers.

"Done?"
"Yeah..."

My confidence was RIP by now because of my accidental confession before. But suddenly, her hands held mine and lead the way as if nothing happened.
I could see the reflection of colorful lights on her eyes, making it sparkled like the sky. She held her smile, but it was recognizable at the tip of her lips.


"Look! There is an optical shop there!"

"Huh? You wanna buy glasses?"

"Yes. It's for you."


She fastened her steps and dragged me along, while I was following her without any idea of what she wanted to do.


"Welcome, what can we help you?" Greeted the man who looked like the shopkeeper if this place.


"Hmm, is here any doctor to check our eyes or something" she asked him right away while I was sightseeing the racks of glasses.


"Oh yes, of course. You can go inside since there's no queue at this moment."


She signaled me to move on to the doctor's room,

"You should check your eyes while we're here. I thought you suffered some miopi or something."

"Well, I could do it other time with SeungSoo Hyung,"

"We are already here, Do Kyungsoo."


She knocked the door and welcomed by a middle-aged doctor who also used a pair of glasses. He gave us a friendly smile and invited us to go inside.


"So, who want to consult first?"

"Uh..  it's my.. friend, doctor. He had a problem with his sight."

"Ah.. so it's your namja chingu (boyfriend)?"


Before she could deny the prediction, I spontaneously said "Yes." and sit on the chair facing the doctor, leaving her in suprised hearing my answer.


"Let me do the examination first."


The doctor lifted a calender-paper-like. It showed several rows of capital letters that I should read when the doctor pointed in some letters. I was only able to read until the third rows and I easily gave up the rest, even when I have tried with my glaring eyes.

"Aigoo, it's too bad. Did you wear glasses before?"

"Never before..."

"Then how did you manage seeing things?"


I showed the doctor my "glare". He laughed and said aigoo over again, inviting a laughter from Han Sora who was carefully watching us all along.

"You could scare your girl if you see her like that."

"Well, he did it all the time, Doc"

I widened my eyes because I never thought that it was a problem before. Although Hyunsik ever mentioned to go the doctor before because of my glaring eyes.

"You suffered astigmatism, so you need specs or lenses with cylinder lense. I'm writing the result, so you can tell the other man outside to get yours ready."

"Waah it can be done by now?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes, give him 15 minutes to make your lenses."


We bowed to him as we bowed at him while he was following us to go outside and told the man himself instead of giving us the result first. I was free to choose the frame for my specs. I was seeing the square frame like mainstream one, and asking how much they cost.


"The frame is 20.000 won and the lenses depend on the quality. If you want to take the Japan original, it is 40.000 won, but if you want the Chinese one, it's 25.000 won. Plus the consultation fee 10.000 won."

I made an O_O expression by my face and gulped, realizing that I didn't bring that much. I originally approached Han Sora to cancel buying the glasses right now when she got ready to  wear me a glasses on her hands.


"Daebak! You look like Harry Potter!"

"Jinjja?"

I went to the mirror and saw my reflection. It was round black frame, very simple and yet she was right, it gave me a Harry Potter feeling when I look into my own reflection in the mirror.

"We'll take this, Ahjussi." She said to the man.


"Aaaaa, Han Sora." I called her and took her away a little bit.

"That's... I think I would come back here later. Let's just pay for the consultation."

"Waeyo?"

"That's just..."

"I'm giving you a present now, don't refuse it okay?"
She took the frame and gave it to the shopkeeper,

"I'll take the Japan lenses one."


I was there looking at her buying me a glasses at our "supposed-to-be-first-date". I couldn't save my image anymore in front of her if she kept doing this at any other time.

The glasses were kept in a leather case plus the cloth to clean it. She gave it to me right away after she received the bill and paid for it.

While we were heading the exit door, we heard a slight complement from the doctor and the shopkeeper saying that we were a cute young couple.

That was making me more happy after all.


"Come on, put it on, Do Kyungsoo."

I did as she instructed me to do, and I found out everything clearer like a 1080p video. I just realized that all this time I saw were only 360p compared to this.

"How is it? You get a better sight, right?" She asked. 

And when I looked at her, she looked even more beautiful, because of her detailed eye lashes, lips, and little hairs growing on the edge of her forehead.

"Gomawo, Han Sora. I will pay you back tomorrow."

"Why? I told you I'm giving to you as a present for your debut announcement. Don't you like it?"

"Aniyo. I like it too much."

"Then you shouldn't pay it back to me. Just wear it at school and every place you want to go now."

"Sure, then... I will treat you again next time. Until we're even."I told her and realizing that would make more excuses for us to go out more often. I liked the idea even more right now.

"Hmmm back then why did you admit that you're my boyfriend?"

"Well, am I not?"

She stopped walking and stared at me in disbelief with her crossed hands.


"Seriously, Do Kyungsoo?"

"Technically, I am a boy. And I am assumed my self as your friend. So, I am your boyfriend right?"

She furrowed her eyebrows and proceeded to broke my arguments.


"It's not boyfriend. There's a space between the words. Boy. friend. Or you should say it only friend."


"I'm fine with the space. So it's boy. friend. then." I said it more detailed with making a space between the words said

It's okay because it sounds just the same.


"It's still strange in my ear somehow."
She complained and started walking again, while I still freezed there, gathering my determination to confess to her, right now, right here, just in the middle of Seoul, where everyone passing by could see and hear us clearly.

"Even if things got very clumsy tonight, but I was serious with my words back then,"


"I like you, Han Sora."

 

 

 


One.

 

 

 


Two.

 

 

 

 

Three.

 


She freezed at her standing point as well, looking right through the glasses, into my eyes which probably dilated by now, waiting for her answer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"I like you too, Do Kyungsoo."