Final

Raison d'être
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Falling in love with Kang Younghyun was like watching the sunrise after a particularly devastating and terrifying storm; soothing, serene and heart-warming.

Although you couldn’t quite put a hand on it, there was something about him that gave you hope. Maybe it was his eternal smile that sent pleasant chills run down your spine and that could leave an impact on you like the searing fire on a winter night. Or maybe it was the way his eyes always shone with gratitude and love despite all those tiny broken pieces that were scattered around the glimpses in the endless sea of his charcoal orbs.

You couldn’t see his flaws in the beginning. Not even for the second or third time. Not until you finally blossomed for him like a cherry tree in the midst of a particularly chilly spring, did you actually find out that he had always had those broken parts within him and carried his own weight on his shoulders. The weight of his past, present and future. He couldn’t fight his fate and change it for the better. The fate that you knew nothing about in the beginning because he didn’t even want you to know.

He wasn’t only in love with you but he was also in love with the world, its everyday beauty and his own life as well. He could find the light in the darkest places, lead you out of the maze without hesitating what kind of path you should both take. Not to mention that he could turn every of your ugly scars into a beautiful reminder of the tragedies that made you stronger instead of suffering for any longer, dragging you to the hole of further misery.

He was the white in the black, the day in the night and the right in the wrong. He was every of your bad days and none of your worst fears. He was in everything around you because everything reminded you of him. Of his childish smile, sparkling eyes, deep laugh and honey-like voice. He was your favourite morning alarm and sweetest goodnight kiss. He was your favourite companion beside a cup of coffee and the steadiest mountain during hardships.

However, the widest smiles are the ones that cover the deepest scars, so you shouldn’t have been surprised when he told you about his own struggles.

Younghyun was dying. Getting closer and closer to death with each and every day. You could see glimpses of the symptoms but you would never assume that it would be a part of his cancer. The last phase, he said.

You only found out about his condition when he was rushed to the hospital after he had passed out during a university lecture. You were the first one to stand by his bed

Please log in to read the full chapter