chapter 3

Halloween ever after

I woke up maybe an hour later, to the sounds of my roommate and the hot college boys she had picked up in her travels running into the flat. 

For a second I was all discombobulated and scared witless as I tried to get my bearings about me. But then all the events of barely hours past came rushing back and I remembered where I was. I reached out instinctively, looking for Sehun with my hand while my eyes sought Yifan out. He wasn't where we'd left him. But the door to his bedroom was open and I could make out his silhouette in the other room. He was talking softly.

" Yeah, she's in my room with my baby brother. Are you guys ok though? You're not hurt?"

" I..I need to sit," I heard my roommate gasp, " I have never... run so hard or so fast in my life."

" I'll get you some water," I heard Jaebum say, " here sit. The whole lot of you. You can barely stand."

Being as I didn't much fancy being left alone in that room, in the dark, I decided I would join them in the other room. But I didn't want to leave Sehun alone, so I carefully picked him up and carried him out to the living room.

" Hey," Yifan said softly looking up at me, and walking foreward to take Sehun from me when he realised that I was carrying him, " are you ok?"

" Yeah," I said softly, " I just.. I didn't want to be alone,"

He arranged Sehun carefully on his shoulder then took my hand in his. I honestly don't think he even realised he was doing it. I feel like in that moment, in his mind I was just another small person he needed to watch over. And to be fair, I was rather small. Coming in at a strong 4 foot and five inches. I mean when the kindergarteners I coached hugged, half of them had their faces smothered in the soft and comfy bounty of my s. And Big Brother Fanfan (I had taken to internally referring to as such in my mind) was a big fellow of a man. He must have been like 6 foot plus a little bit, and he had like muscles, in the arms, and in the chest, I knew, I had felt them. No I hadn't been groping the man,but come on, if you'd been curled up in his lap like I had been, you can't honestly tell me that you wouldn't have been ingraining the feeling of such solidly built muscles into your memory.  Big Brother Fanfan was packing. Muscles. I don't know about es. I mean he might have been packing a mean one of those too. But it's never good to judge people, so I can't really say. Anyway, I digress here. I was just trying to stress upon you all, that I really don't think Big brother Fanfan was aware of what he was doing when he took my hand in his.

" I'm so glad you're ok man," my roommate Dean suddenly said, " I was worried less about you man."

I nodded, " wait. But what happened to you?" I asked," I thought you were gonna go straight home right after your shift?"

"That was the plan yes, but just before I clocked out, a couple of guys strolled into the store. I thought they were just drunk at first, but.... well they started attacking people, and I just... I ran. Jackson was in the store and he pulled me behind some shelves, and then he just held onto my hand and dragged me all the way to his apartment. Honestly I didn't even want to try getting back to our place you know, because after I saw what those demons did, I mean I guess they demons, I don't really know. But after I saw what they did to this one guy, I just... I was terrified, I just wanted to get indoors."

" Oh my gosh.. are you ok though?" I asked and Dean nodded.

"Yeah, but what happened to you?" she asked me.

So I explained.

" Well fu..uuh...gggudeldy doo" she said amending the bad word as there was a child in the room, " what the hell is going on?"

" Have you heard from your dad yet?" Jaebum asked Yifan, and Yifan shook his head even as he pulled his phone out, " but I'll try calling him again now."

He did, and miraculously, this time, the papa of Big brother Fanfan picked up.

" Yes dad, Sehun's here with me......No, Zo brought him...Yes they're ok........No I haven't spoken to mum yet....Ok.... Yes dad.... Ok... Ok." Yifan hung up and turned to his friends.

"What did he say?" Kyungsoo asked.

" He uh..he said we're...you're not going to believe me.." 

We all interjected with a snort. After what we'd all just seen, I'm pretty sure we'd believe anything.

" He says, that basically we're under attack by the supernatural. So um.. demons, vampires, wendigo's and creatures I've never even heard of. But for right now, it's seems our biggest threat, in this particular section of the city anyway, is demons. So he says close all the windows and doors and then sprinkle salt around the place, like use it to make a barrier. He says we should stay indoors, and he'll come here as soon as he can. But under no circumstances should we go back outside. We'll be safe if we stay inside."

I blinked. Well then. Wasn't that just wonderful.

" Ok. So... how much salt do you have?" Kyungsoo asked.

They had just enough to make a barrier of the apartment. Some areas we had to spread it thin to get round the whole apartment, but we made it work, and then because I think we were all still trying to make sense of the world we all huddled back in the living room and Jaebum turned the t.v on, volume on low.

" I have you spoken to Sam?"I whispered to Dean softly and she shook her head. Sam was Dean's sister, and it was just the two of them. Technically, it was just the three of us.Me Dean and Sam. All three of us from the same orphanage. But Dean and Sam were blood relatives whereas I just had the honor of being best friend, ( which for Sam was as good as blood). Sam was the one that had taken us out of the orphanage. She'd joined the military as soon as she'd turned eighteen, taken guardianship of me and Dean two years later, and the rest as they say, is history. Sam still worked for the government, but her job had her keeping long hours, travelling a lot, and so we barely got to see her but a few times a year. She called as often as she could, emailed a lot. 

We missed her. And we were worried about her.

" Try her again," I whispered and Dean pulled her phone out, and dialled out. All she got  was voicemail. So she left a voicemail letting Sam know that both she and I were safe, and that we just wanted to know if she was ok.

The others were also calling parents, most of whom picked up, or called back. Most of whom were also living tens or hundreds of miles away. But for now, at least everyone was safe, and from the looks of it, despite the absolute incredulousness of the whole situation, the news was reporting it as an emergency situation, urging people to get indoors and shelter in place. To place barriers of salt for demons. They would update with more information as they received it, but for now, " Please. Please get indoors, and stay indoors."

" Fanfan," Sehun mumbled stirring from his nap and nuzzling into Big Brother Fanfans neck.

" Hmm?"

"Papa?" Sehun yawned.

" Papa's ok. He said to stay indoors and he'll come for us soon," Yifan said, " he called while you were napping."

" What about mama?" Sehun asked.

Yifan shook his head, " but Papa said he'd talked to her."

" Can we call her?" Sehun asked shyly and Yifan smiled, pulling his phone out and dialling.

" Mama might not pick up, but you know that's only because she's busier than papa ok?" Yifan said and Sehun nodded.

Mama picked up, in fact mama hung up and video called right back.

" You ok baby?" their mother asked.

" Yes mama," both boys replied.

" Good, I spoke to your dad. He told you to stay indoors and salt the apartment right?" their mama asked and both boys replied, 

" Yes mama," both boys replied again, and she smiled ever so softly at them.

" I love you both boys," she said, and the boys smiled at her, ( I was felled by the beauty of those smiles, I kid you not).

"Now let me see my other children," their mama said, and Yifan rolled his eyes even as he turned his phone to do a sweep of the room. " You got me more children? Good sons," she said.

" Mama, that's Zo!!" Sehun giggled, " you know Zo"

I did know their mama, but I had only met her maybe twice. It was usually Sehuns dad that picked him up from soccer practice, so I knew him well, but not so much their mama, although I had heard alot about her, and judging from her next words, she had heard much about me too.

" Ah yes, of course, and yes Sehun, I see exactly what you mean, she'd be absolutely perfect for you know what"  a most obnoxious wink was passed from mother to soon. A most obnoxious wink passed back from son to mother, and I looked from one to the other in curiosity. But neither one gave me a chance to get any clarification, " but I see other children sweetheart, let me say hi to my new babies"

The others all introduced themselves, ending with my roommate Dean. Who introduced herself, first.middle. and last name.

" Hold on a second would you there Dean?" Mama of Big brother Fanfan said, " I think.. you might know this lady"

She flipped her own phone and there was Sam. Dressed the nines in her military fatigues, with a pen sticking out of her hair and her glasses perched on her nose.

" I thank all the sweet candy in the world. I'm so glad you two idiots are ok,"she sighed.

" Wait.. what are you doing there?" Dean asked, " and where exactly are you?"

" I'm in a meeting with the mayor and a few other district council members in an unindentified bunker of the city, I don't have enough clearance for me to have my personal phone in here so if you've been trying to get in touch with me, that's why. Listen. I'm going to come for you as soon as I can, but listen to me, I want you to stock up on salt, and garlic. Lots of it. It won't stop a vampire, but it will help you at least identify them, it burns them. I gotta go, the meetings starting back up again." She handed the phone back to mama of Big brother Fanfan, who sent us all the kisses, ( all of us), and then with one last obnoxious wink for Sehun, she hung up.

Little did I know at the time, but Mama of Big Brother Fanfan, who by the way said we could call her Junma, and Sehun were trying their hand at matchmaking. Me and Big brother Fanfan. 

" So.Now what?" Luhan asked after like two minutes of silence in which we just sat there and watched the news repeat their emergency announcement.

" Fanfan?" Sehun said.

" Hmm?" 

" I'm hungry" he said.

" Peanut butter sandwich or cereal?"Big brother Fanfan asked Sehun. 

" Cereal."  Sehun responded.

" I vote we all eat.I could use it." Mark said standing up.

I agreed with him. I was suddenly very ravenous. But that might have had something to do with the fact that I'd not only carried a large five year old for a mile, I had also, with my pint sized self, run that whole mile with said five year old in my arms.

Hard work. So it really wasn't any wonder that I devoured my peanut butter sandwich when I got it. And then immediately crashed, falling asleep on the floor where I'd been sitting. My head leaning against the couch and the plate sliding off my lap.

And whilst I snored softly, Sehun tugged Big brother Fanfans wrist and said.

" Fanfan? Zo fell asleep, we gotta carry her to bed, or she'll get sick."

Yifan looked down at me, then smiled at Sehun then said," how about I pull mattresses out here and we can do a slumber party?" 

Sehun nodded, and so, the boys dragged mattresses out, and laid them out on the floor, making a huge padded space on the floor, so all of us could sleep on the floor. They pulled blankets and sheets out, and used them to cover us up.

I slept that night with Fanfan on one side of me, and Sehun on the other, because Sehun insisted, " she carried me Fanfan. The whole way. We gotta keep her safe. We owe her." 

" I can't believe she carried him though," Chanyeol whispered into the dimness, ( Dean had absolutely forbidded them from turning all the lights out, so the T.V was still on, dimly lighting the room), " they're like... the same height."

" Dude," Dean whispered back, "I ran the whole way here and I kept up with you guys. Look at me, I'm barely three inches taller than her and I weigh as much as an elephant. Yet somehow I still managed to keep up with you. I'm pretty sure fear is a wonderful motivator."

" You don't look like an elephant," Mark mumbled into the dark.

" Even if you did," Jackson grumbled," elephants are cute."

" And they've got wonderfully big bottoms. Some of us are bottom men," Luhan added.

" Some of us are ers for all that soft cuddly warmness, that you can only get from having some weight on you," Kyungsoo added.

" Are you... are the whole lot of you flirting with me?" Dean asked in disbelief.

" We like elephants" Jaebum muttered.

" Oh my gosh," Dean gasped, " I never get flirted with.What am I supposed to do with this? How am I supposed to respond to this?"

"Say thank you, and then go to sleep and dream good dreams," Jinyoung added," you can dream of the whole lot of us smothering you in cuddles."

Dean was left rather speechless. But can you blame her.

Really, I couldn't have. I would have been just as speechless in her position.

But as it was, I was speechless when I woke up the next morning and woke up with a mouthful of Yifans shirt ( and some chest), while his arm reached over me to wrap both Sehun and I in a protective embrace.