chapter 2

Halloween ever after

I was shaking, sitting in a corner of Yifan's room, shaking from the adrenalin. Sehun was curled up in Yifan's lap, crying softly, and they were also on the floor.

" Shhh....." Yifan crooned softly, rocking Sehun back and forth. I was so busy watching him and vicariously soothing myself through the soft croon of his voice, that I barely even noticed that someone else had just joined us.

" Hey, Yifan," the voice said, " is everything ok?"

Yifan nodded, " yeah. It's just my baby brother,

"'m'not'a'baby,"Sehun mumbled half asleep,making Yifan smile softly,

"and uh..?" Yifan continued.

" Zo.." I whispered back, " his babysitter and soccer coach."

Yifan smiled," oh hey, he's told me about you. That's Minseok, one of my roommates, and behind him are my other two roommates, Jaebum and Mark."

I looked up and managed a weak wave, I was still shaking, adrenalin playing a serious game on me. 

The three roommates entered the room, closing the door shut behind them, and turning the light off.

I whimpered in fear, and one of the three roommates turned a flashlight on, and covered it with a small towel that he'd been holding in his hand. Muting the light so that it didn't shine quite so bright.

" Hey you're shaking pretty bad," one of the roommates,  Minseok I think it was said to me," can I help you up?"

I let him help me up and sit me on Yifans bed.

" So... I take it you two saw what's going on out there huh?" Jaebum said. I nodded my head.

" We.. we were coming from trick or treating. I lost a bet and I had to take them. I'd.." I took a deep breath, voice shaking a little.

" Take your time," Yifan soothed as he got up from the floor and laid Sehun down on his bed, covering him up.

"I'd just taken all the other kids to their houses, Oh the other kids," I sobbed, " oh , oh , oh ..."

" Hey, hey, relax. You got them home, You got them to their parents. So what happened next," Yifan asked.

I took a deep breath and continued, " I was walking Sehun home, and he was planning such heinous acts as to eat ten peices of candy before going to bed, when we ran into this.. this demon, oh sweet candy!! Sehun thought they were having !! animal channel he says, what are they showing kids on t.v these days?  Isn't the animal channel supposed to be kid friendly? !!  He looks like he's trying to do the to her, he says....."  I was quite near hysterical by this point and obviously waaaay off point. 

" Zo, " Yifan whispered gently coming to kneel in front of me, " Zo you,ve got whisper. Breathe, come on breathe. There you go, now tell me what you did after the animal channel rendition?"

" We decided to go a different way, but the guy with the really creepy costume fell out of his hou... oh sweet candy, it wasn't a costume!! That was his blood!! And a real wound!! He was dying!!" I looked up at Yifan, terror and panic in my eyes, " I let Sehun see a dying man, and we didn't help him, we just.. we just left him there, but I was so scared, there was like this blood curdling scream and it just really creeped me out..." I was crying now. Yifan pulled his sleeve past his hand and used it to wipe my tears away.

" That was smart, " he said softly, " that you didn't hang around to find out what had killed him. Thank you for protecting my baby brother." 

I sniffled and nodded and as calmly as I could( not very calmly) continued to explain what had happened. 

By the time I was done explaining, I was basically curled up in Yifans lap, and he was cradling me much as he had been cradling his baby brother, - stop judging me- I'd been through an ordeal. " You should get some rest, "Yifan said quietly. Do you want to change out of your mermaid costume?"

I had completely forgotten that I was dressed rather like a seductive siren, and suddenly had the grace to be bashful, because here I was, practically draped over this hot guy who barely a hour ago had been a complete stranger, looking like a seductive siren. To put this in perspective, my usual gear of choice was boyfriend jeans and loose t-shirts, sweatshirts and sweaters that hung to my hips when it was cold. I did not dress like a seductive siren. I was completely out of my element. I absolutely wanted to get out of my costume, so I nodded viciously.

" I'm gonna put you down ok?" he said. I shook my head, and someone snorted. Yifan was patient, very patient, " I need to though if you want to change."

I resisted for about another second, but then I found the strength to let go. Once I had, Yifan stood up and headed to his closet, pulling out a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

He handed them to me, and then he and his three roommates turned around to give me a semblance of privacy. I don't think I have ever changed quite so fast in my life, because the idea of being alone did not sit well with me. Granted I wasn't actually alone, but in my overly charged imagination, I could just see some creature straight out of my nightmares coming straight through the walls and grabbing me while the boys had their heads turned. So yeah. I didn't want to be alone.

" Done," I announced, " you can turn around."

They did. My legs were bare, but I didn't care. The boys though, apparently did, " I don't think any of my pants will fit you," Yifan said.

" It's ok," I shrugged, but Yifan was scowling.

" Mine might," Mark said, " they'll be long, but we can just fold them. I'll be right back," he said. Little did I know, but the boys were thinking that if we had to leave in a hurry then it would be best that  have full clothing on, and speaking of, they were also thinking that they should get Sehun more appropriately dressed as well. Finding clothes for Sehun was infinitely easier than finding clothes for me, because being the trained employees of the of our countries internal law enforcement agencies, mum with the NSA ( national security agency) and dad with the cities police force, Yifan and Sehuns parents were paranoid enough that they made sure Sehun had clothes at Yifans place, as well as a key to Yifans apartment. There were other emergency contingencies in place, like a common location to meet, in a specific order if they ever had to evacuate, there were emergency backpacks for both Yifan and Sehun at both houses, and because Yifans parents took their roles as officers of the law seriously they'd also stressed upon Yifans roommates the importance of having emergency contingencies in place. 

Mark returned a couple of minutes later with a pair of sweatpants and two bottles of water. I slid the pants on quickly then slipped my sneakers back on ( yes, I had worn sneakers with my mermaid costume- stop judging me). 

" So what do we do now?"  I whispered after taking a sip of water. I had no sooner finished asking the question than was my phone ringing, terrifying the life out of me.

I squealed and reached for it where it was laying on my discarded mermaid costume and answered quickly, I didn't even check the caller I.D, I just wanted it to stop making so much noise. It was my roommate. 

" Oh thank goodness," my roommate sighed in obvious relief as I answered the phone, " where are you? are you safe?"

" I'm ok,I'm at 2514 Chestnut tree ave, but where are you?" I whispered back. 

" Right now?" She asked, " Right now I'm hiding in a bathroom, armed with a hair brush and a tube of toothpaste, what the hell are you doing at 2514 Chestnut tree hill ave?" she hissed.

" What?" I hissed back. 

" What?" Dean hissed back. 

"Dean, are you in our bathroom?" I asked.

" What? No, I don't know where I am? Where are we?" she hissed to someone. 

They hissed something back, that she repeated to me, " wait, this is Chestnut tree ave? " she asked. Me and the other person Dean was on the phone with both hissed 'yes'. 

" I'm at 8507 Chestnut tree ave," Dean finally managed to get across, " wait, hold on," she mumbled something to whoever she was with and then she just handed them the phone, 

" hi, my name is Kyungsoo, did you say you were at 2514 Chestnut tree ave?"

" uh huh" 

" Is Yifan there?"

"Uh huh " I answered, " did you want to talk to him?"

" please,"

So I handed the phone to Yifan. He talked with Kyungsoo for a bit " you sure you want to do that?" I heard him ask, " yeah.. Uh huh... Uh huh.. Ok. Just... Be safe ,"  He hung and handed my phone back to me, "That was Kyungsoo, he's with Jinyoung, Jackson, Chanyeol and Luhan, and your roommate Dean, he says they're gonna try and make it here,"

I blinked, " how... how do you know each other?" 

" We all play for the same college, different sports, but same college," Minseok explained. 

" Oh.. Ok. Will they be safe?" 

" They'll be careful, " Yifan said, " they'll be very careful. You should get some rest, or are you hungry?"

I shook my head, " not hungry," 

" Then rest," he said pushing me back gently onto the bed. I went somewhat willingly, and considered how best to go about getting Yifan to stay in the room with me. I was saved by Sehun who latched onto his brothers wrist and said in a sleepy voice,  " Fanfan, I'm scared. You gotta stay"

Bless Sehuns darling little self. Bless him. Because big brother Fanfan stayed.