chapter 16

Halloween ever after

He delivered on every single promise he made.

Every. Single. One.

Once we made it to relative safety that is, then he delivered. It took us a good long while to make it to safety, because wouldn't you know it, there were many a ghastly creature roaming our realm, looking to make us their next meal.

We didn't become their next meal. This was in great part thanks to the amazing bad- -kicking skills of Khazz and Jodie, with a supporting cast of Charlie, DonnaleeJunma, Papa Xing,Commander Bambam, Jongdae and Baekhyun.

Man could those adults kick some .

I was appropriately awed by their prowess.

The first chance I got to see their prowess was after we'd been driving for about two hours. Khazz and Jodie exchanged loaded glances and Jodie said, "stop the car,"

" What? Why?" Baekhyun asked. Commander Bambam was already sitting up, " what's going on?" he asked.

" We're driving into a trap," Khazz said.

" What kind of trap?" Junma wanted to know.

" Vamps," Khazz said, " a coven full. Hungry and rabid.I suggest we stop here, and take the fight to them."

Papa Xing and Commander Bambam exchanged glances and both nodded, and so the car was stopped.

" Fanfan," Junma said handing him a gun, " you remember how to use this yes baby?"

Big brother Fanfan nodded, " yeah," he said quietly.

" Good. Keep it on you. Don't use it unless you absolutely have to. Sehun, stay with your brother ok. Mama and Papa will be right back as soon as they take care of the problem outside ok?"

Sehun whined but nodded and held his arms out to big Brother Fanfan who took him in his arms and held him close.

They parked the vehicle by the side of the road and the adults exitted the vehicle, forming a circle round us a few feet away. Protecting us.

" You sure you should be fighting?" Baekhyun asked eyeing Khazz speculatively.

" I'll be ok," she replied, " trust me.You're going to need me."

And man did they need her.

We watched from the slats in the windows. Watched those bad grown folk fight that bad bad coven of vamps. It was terrifying watching them fight such a strong opponent. Like seriously, my heart might have been in my throat the whole time.

But they won.

Stumbling back into the truck after what I'm sure had been a full hour of fighting.Some of them hurt, all of them exhausted.

Khazz grunted as she sat down, wincing and grabbing at her side, lifting her shirt to look at the wound she'd earned herself.

Jodie made a face, " why aren't you healing?" she asked, " you're a vamp. You should heal faster than that."

Khazz just shrugged, " It'll heal eventually. Now I suggest we get the hell out of here before trouble finds us."

We resumed our drive, only to run into a legion of hunger demons.

Now, let me tell you about hunger demons.... they make you hungry.

Very hungry.

Hungry enough that all you can think about is eating... everything. Including your friends.

" Bloody ing hell," Khazz growled as the hunger hit her first. We'd been driving for about another hour when the hunger started to creep up on her.

" Language!!" Joonma, Papa Xing, Commander Bambam, Jongdae and Baekhyun all snapped at her.

She blinked and snorted, " apologies" she said, " but trust me, the cursing was well warranted."

" Why?" Papa Xing, asked and in the next second Athena let out a loud piercing wail of fury.

" She's hungry," Khazz said.

" She just fed though," Minseok said.

" Doesn't matter. Trust me. She's hungry. I know because I'm hungry. For food. I'm a vampire, I don't generally get hungry for food as a rule of thumb," Khazz replied.

" Bloody ing hell," Jodie growled as she caught on.

" Language!!" Joonma, Papa Xing, Commander Bambam, Jongdae and Baekhyun snapped at her as well.

" Apologies," Jodie said with an amused smile, " but as per the point Khazz was trying to make. We have ourselves some hunger demons on the horizon."

" Hunger demons?" Commander Bambam said.

" Yes, hunger demons," Khazz said.

" Um.. I'm sure I don't particularly want to know, but exactly what do hunger demons do?" Papa Xing asked.

" Make you hungry," Khazz muttered under her breath.

Joonma narrowed her eyes at Khazz, " how hungry?"

" Ravenous," Jodie replied, " which for the rest of you won't be much of a problem, if you have actual food, but assuming you don't well you may find yourselves trying the time honoured and taboo custom of cannibalism."

" I'm sorry come again?" Commander Bambam said, " only without the time honoured and taboo custom part."

Khazz and Jodie both snorted and looked at him saying nothing. He nodded smartly, " cool.Alrighty then. And how pray tell does one defeat a hunger demon?"

" Don't know" both Khazz and Jodie said together.

" I'm sorry come again. Only without the part where you don't know" Joonma said. 

Khazz and Jodie both turned to her and said nothing. 

" Right. Ok then. Jongdae call Sam up please" Joonma said, " Maybe she knows how to defeat a hunger demon."

Sam "kind of, possiblym maybe, might could know how to defeat a hunger demon" she said.

" So do you...or don't you?" Commander Bambam asked.

" I doooo...not really know if I do" she answered.

" That was an inconclusive response if ever I heard one," Commander Bambam muttered under his breath, and we had to agree. That was an inconclusive response if ever we heard one. That was the sort of response that had the professor giving you the points to the question because he had no idea what you were saying but it sounded good enough that maybe he should know what you're saying so he gives you the point just incase you're saying things so smart he hasn't caught up yet. 

It was some grade A Bull type response on an essay question.

Sam was my kind of girl.

" Ok Sam, just tell us what you do know and we'll go with that," Papa Xing sighed.

Sam sighed, " ok, so, from what I've managed to translate of these manuscripts, hunger demons make you hungry. But not for themselves, they're basically lackeys. They're like animal trackers. Sort of.They get people fattened up for their masters who are who you should really be worried about. And they'll work for anybody that let's them have the carcasses of the consumed, once they're done."

A bunch of us shuddered, because yeah, that was rather gruesome.

" So, to be sure I understand you,?" Commander Bambam said, " hunger demons won't eat us, just our carcasses?"

" Yeah," Sam said slowly.

" And they're only here to fatten us up for someone else?" Commander Bambam said.

" Uh yeah," Sam said slowly again.

" Alright then love.Now's the part you tell me how to defeat them," Commander Bambam replied with a soft smile.

Sam sighed.

" Don't eat," she said, " just don't eat. They won't touch you til you're so far gone in the throes of feeding that you can't do anything but feed. So don't feed."

" Sam," Commander Bambam said.

" Yes sir?"

" There's an itty bitty adorable little baby girl in here with us. How long exactly are we to ignore this hunger?"he asked.

" Until they go away?" Sam said," or at least until you've driven far enough away that you're no longer in their radius." 

" Umhm? And exactly how wide might that radius be?" Joonma asked turning to Khazz and Jodie.

" About ten miles out? Give or take?" Khazz asked Jodie and Jodie nodded.

"Yeah just about" she replied.

" So, if I'm mathing correctly here," Luhan said, " assuming we are on the circumference of their reach then we must travel a diameterial distance of twenty miles before we are out of reach?"

" Oh Sweet Candy," Teddy drawled, " he's a nerd. Help me. I can't"

Dean and I commiserated. Like, being hot by itself was just not fair. But then to be hot and brainy, was like.. just illegal. Unfair even.

Joonma's lips twitched in amusement and she nodded her head, " yes Luhan, you are mathing correctly. Now for extra points, considering that this bad boy is moving at a speed of 40kilometers per hour, how long is that going to take us?"

" Just under an hour," Luhan answered without hesitation, " if 1 mile equal 1.5 km then moving at speed of 40km/hr equates to moving at a speed of 25m/hr, and since we must travel about 20, well, then just under an hour."

Teddy was fangirling. Hard. 

So were Dean and I to be honest.

But I mean seriously, if you were faced with such y nerdiness, wouldn't you?

Don't lie, because we both know you would. Don't even try to deny it.

" Alright then," Joonma said, " we can do this. We can ignore our hunger for an hour,"

" What about Athena?" Minseok asked softly, " she's just a baby."

" I know," Joonma said, " but if we don't eat then the demons will just ignore us."

" Can we move faster?" Donnalee asked and Jongdae shook his head.

" No, the roads aren't the safest right now, I'm maneovering around a lot of debris and abandoned cars.So unfortunately no. Plus this bad boy is big, probably wouldn't be smart to push her on such a tight road,"

Minseok nodded and then turned to Lilee and pulled her closer into his arms.

" Let Jinyoung hold Athena" he said softly.

" What? Why?" she asked.

" Because she's going to cry, and you won't be able to take it. Let Jinyoung hold Athena and I'll hold you."

She shook her head, but Papa Xing nodded, " he's right. I'd say give her to one of us, but I'll cave, the fatherly instincts in me won't let me ignore her, Joonma will cave in like a second, Khazz probably just shouldn't, I get the feeling Jodie will cave in like five minutes.." Jodie nodded her agreement, " so yeah, one of the boys is probably the best bet."

" Why me though?" Jinyoung asked.

" Because you are the only man I have ever seen withstand the irritation that is a drunk Jackson whining for marshmallows and green mangoes," Minseok said, " the rest of us always cave."

" I should resent that," Jackson said, " but I can't."

Jinyoung said and crawled over to Lilee,holding his arms out, " just for an hour," he said softly, " I promise I'll take care of her."

Lilee sniffed and handed Athena over to Jinyoung who crawled back to the other side of the truck and cradled Athena in his arms, singing soflty to her as she started to fuss.

It didn't take long after that for the hunger to hit the rest of us.

And man did it hit us.

It was absolutely horrible. Only getting worse the closer to the 'eye of the storm'. 

It had me curled up into Yifan,full on sobbing from the pain, had him hissing and squeezing my arms.

Had Lilee crying and trying to break free from Minseoks arms who himself was also grunting and crying. I hae never known hunger to hurt. 

This was horrible, and I wouldn't wish it even on my worst enemy.

But, we drove that one hour, and honestly how Baekhyun manned our bad boy of a truck without losing focus I don't know, because I could clearly hear every bad word he threw out for the whole hour as hunger so acute it was like molten fire being poured into the your intestines, after your belly had been sliced open harakiri style, coursed through us.

Poor Athena wailed her little heart out.

And Jinyoung, Jinyoung growled, " If I ever see a hunger demon I will ing kill it, then find a damn curse that will bring it back to life just so I can kill it again. You don't ing mess with children."

I agreed.

We all agreed.

Not even all the sugar in the world would save a hunger demon if we ever met one.