chapter 13

Halloween ever after

While we were inside, melting at the adorableness of our newest addition, and having our ovaries slayed by the unnecessary hotness that was these college boys doting on babies, Jodie was outside making deals,

" Khazz," Jodie greeted into the chill morning air, speaking to the shadows.

Khazz materialised from the shadows with a nod in Jodie's direction.

" Jodie," Khazz replied.

" So.. you wanted to talk?" Jodie said and Khazz nodded.

" You won't be safe for long here," Khazz said," there's a second wave inbound."

" A second wave of what?" Jodie asked.

" Everything. Everyone. And this one's the calvary. The first wave was just the scouts," Khazz replied. 

" Well me sideways," Jodie sighed, then she turned to give Khazz her full attention and said, " somehow I just don't see you sharing this information from the goodness of your heart. So? What do you want? " 

" Will you believe me if I say company?" Khazz answered causing Jodie to snort in laughter," No?," Khazz continued, " was worth a shot." 

" So what do you really want?" Jodie asked. 

" An ally" Khazz answered," we both know that half of this is politics pure and simple. I need an ally. You don't bet you could use one. Between the two of us maybe we could restore a semblance of order"

Jodie pursed her lips then said, " im getting this lot to safety"

" I'm in no rush," Khazz answered.

" We have a lot to talk about" Jodie added.

" We can walk and talk. I'm a bloody effective weapon and you know it" Khazz said, not so subtly suvmggesting that Jodie take Khazz with them.

Jodie sighed then said" how are you gonna feed?" 

" Hospitals and clinics, like I've always done. " Khazz answered honestly. 

Jodie raised an eyebrow at that, " no familiar?" 

" They tried to force one on me. Im sure you've heard the rumours" Khazz answered honestly. 

" That you won't take a familiar that doesn't choose it and that you give the ones that are forced their freedom?" Jodie said," yes, I'd heard, but I assumed it was just rumour,"

Khazz shrugged," being stronger doesn't give us any right to enslave anyone. That's the way I see it anyway. But seriously, we can talk more about this later. You're not safe here for much longer,"

" There's a baby in there," Jodie sighed, " newborn. Like hours old. If that. How am I supposed to move her in this ridiculous cold?"

Khazz pursed her lips in thought for a moment then said, " It's only gonna get colder though. Frost demons on the horizon,"

" ," Jodie hissed, " I can't bring that baby out in this. Or those babies, or the kids next door,"

Khazz sighed then said," fine. Then barricade yourselves in. You've got help on the way right?"

Jodie nodded,she didn't even bother asking how Khazz new about that. Khazz had probably been watching the whole lot of them for as long as Jodie and her crew had been watching over her human charges.

" You think we can hold off a whole legion of frost demons?" Jodie asked,slightly dubiously.

"No. You can't. I can." Khazz said, " go. You don't have a lot of time,"

Jodie sighed then turned to look up at Donnalee, " will you get Harma and the kids ready?" 

Donnalee who was still crouched on the roof nodded and jumped down, then started walking over to the other house. While Jodie came back inside to talk to us. Well first to make a phone call. Then to talk to us.

" Yifan" Jodie said, " may I speak with you privately please?"

Yifan who had been in the process of putting the baby to sleep, looked up and carefully handed the baby ( we really needed to name her) to Jinyoung, then walked over to Jodie, who took him to the bathroom and closed the door. A couple of minutes later he came out to grab the phone then disappeared back into the bathroom. Obviously I wasn't provy to the conversation when it happened, but later, much later, Yifan would tell me that Jodie had called his parents, who had conference called with Sam, and then she'd told them about Khazz and everything Khazz had said.

" Do you trust her?" Sam asked Jodie of Khazz.

" Yeah. I mean she's a vampire, but she's a good one. As much as a bloodsucking person can be anyway,"

" Uh.. that doesn't exactly inspire confidence," Sam said.

Jodie had replied, " look, she's a vampire, there's no getting around that. She's going to need blood to survive, but I know for a fact she's never taken a familiar and she's given every familiar forced on her their freedom. She's also warned us about some serious coming this way, and has allied herself with me,and is even now, I'm convinced gone to fight the first wave of frost demons," 

" How long til they get there?" Junma asked quietly, " We're trying to get to you, but we're a little stuck,"

" You said it suddenly got stupid cold last night right?" Sam asked and Jodie said yes.

" Then, If my research is correct they'll be there by nightfall tonight." Sam said quietly, and then she growled, " damn you Bambam I told you, you should have bloody well ing let me go. Now my sisters going to ing get frozen to death by ing frost demons...."

Commander Bambam had sighed and said, " Sam. First stop cursing. Second of all, your sister is not going to get frozen to death by frost demons, Thirdly, if I have to crawl my way there I will get your sister safe. Now breathe, and get it together, I need you on your A-game." He gave her a couple of seconds to get it together and then he ruined it by adding, " you are bloody y when your pissed, I wish I was there to see you right now. Gotta go,"

Sam blinked at the phone, stared at it for all of a second then yelled, " are you seriously flirting with me right now!!"

Commander Bambam didn't answer her, he felt that considering it was quite obvious he was flirting with her, that her question didn't warrant a response.

" Alrighty then," Papa Yixing said, " so then, the plan is, you're going to bunker down in our basement, and hold off the frost demons for as long as you can yes? And we're going to burn rubber and anything else in our way to make it to you so we can get the whole lot of you out there.?"

" Yup," Jodie said.

" Ok," Yifan said.

When he came back out, Jinyoung had the baby asleep in his arms, Lilee was asleep curled up against Minseok, Dean and I were sitting with Jongin and Sehun, as close to the fire as was safe, watching a random movie that had popped up on the t.v. Luhan and Teddy were asleep curled round each other. 

" So um.." Yifan said quietly, " theres a legion of frost demons on their way for us, there's no way we can survive that cold out there, so we're going to hold out in here, and um.. the teacher and kids next door are going to join us, oh and there's a vampire that's in alliance with Jodie and she's going to fight the frost demons off for us for as long as she can. My parents are on their way, they got held up by some demons of their own and had to fix the car because it got broken, but they should have it ready to go in a few hours and then they'll be coming for us," he turned to Jodie, " that's everything right?"

" Yeah pretty much," Jodie said.

" Erm" Dean said hand going up slowly, " you said vampire didn't you?"

" Yes. Yes I did," Yifan sighed.

" And... we're going to be safe with said vampire?"Kyungsoo asked the question on all our minds.

" Bout as safe as you are with me," Jodie replied, " she won't feed from you. That much I can vouch for,"

I whimpered. Vampires. Werewolves. Frost demons. It was seriously all just a little too much to deal with. Just a little too much.

" Wait!" Jinyoung suddenly said, " what about radiation?" he asked, " if the teacher and the kids next door are coming here, won't they be at risk of exposing themselves to radiation?"

" No," Jodie said, " I already checked, there's no radiation in the air. It's cleared out enough that if they cover up well they'll be fine," 

And with perfecting timing, Jodie was just getting done answering the question when Donnalee knocked on the door. Yifan opened it, and there on the other side were six heavily bundled up individuals. Five children and a teacher. 

They shed two of their layers at the door then walked in. 

I heard Chanyeol squeal and looked over to him.He had koala beared himself around Kyungsoo, who had the most annoyed of scowls on his face.

Chanyeol was shook. 

The kids were adorable. To be fair, so was their teacher. But the kids were cuter, and it seemed Chanyeol could be slayed quite easily by all things cute.

" Look at them," he cooed," they have the chubby cheeks and round faces and oh my gosh I wanna squish them."

" Please don't squish the children," Kyungsoo sighed, " please don't. Matter fact don't do anything, you're scaring them."

" I am not," he protested.

" Yes you are, look at them. Big eyes just blinking at you, cheeks chubby and puffed out in concentration..." Kyungsoo said.

Chanyeol slid to the floor and curled into fetal position.

He couldn't deal. Which was all kinds of amusing really, because the kids just thought he might be crazy.

" Um.. hi" the teacher said, " I'm Harma, and this is.."

Chanyeol died. He squealed so loud and clutched at his chest. 

Ok, she was cute, and her voice was like all kinds of shy soft and poor Chanyeol. He just liked cute things.

" Is.. is he ok?" Harma asked.

" Yeah, he's good. He just can't deal with the cute. Cuteness overload. Give him a minute, and he'll be fine. Why don't you guys come in, hey Jongin and Sehun, are you guys gonna come say hi?" Yifan said.

Jongin waved shyly and hid behind Sehun, who boldy strolled over and held his hand out, " Hi!! I'm Sehun!! And this is my best friend Jongin!! He likes to colour and read, he's a really good reader, he can read to us!! Come on!!" he grabbed one of the girls hands and tugged her towards him, then stopped and turned to look at the other four girls who were just standing there, " he's gonna read to all of us. Come on."

" I can't figure out who's the wingman here," Kyungsoo said, as he watched Sehun and Jongin in amusement. Like on first glance, Jongin was obviously wingman, what with his shy self, but then on second glance, with the way Sehun kept singing Jongins praises, I mean he was after all a good reader  maybe Sehun was the wingman?

Chanyeol was not ok.

To be fair, neither were Dean and I. We too were quite shook. 

The rest were just amused,even more so when Chanyeol rolled across the floor to come snuggle with me and Dean so the three of us could watch the ridiculousness that was Jongin, Sehun and the five girls.

" Welcome to the nuthouse," Kyungsoo said to Harma.

She snorted, " I used to teach kindergarten. Trust me. This aint nothing."

Apparently, Harma was going to fit right in.

And lastly, Khazz, the vampire came to drop off some things.

She had with her three duffel bags of food and extra blankets and water and clothes and flashlights, and firewood and matches and lanterns, and baby clothes and a small bassinet even. 

She smiled at us, and it took me and Dean a minute to reconcile this sweet looking normal woman to a vampire.

" Hi," she said, " I'm not going to stay long, but I did want to drop these off. Jodie are you set or do you need anything?"

Jodie shook her head with a scowl then said, " you can't possibly hold them all off by yourself. Let me come with you"

" You're right," Khazz said, " I can't. Which is why you should probably stay here to get the ones that get past me yeah? Alright i'm out then. See y'all in a bit."

And then she was gone.

" Ok so.... she's hot,"Jackson  said.

He was right. She was rather.