chapter1

Halloween ever after

Now, you mighy be asking yourself, how it is I find myself in this position. Locked in a flat, with four college jocks, in the middle of the night, dressed like a veritable vixen, while monsters roam outside.

So let me start with this.

It’s halloween.

The day when everyone dresses up as the stuff of nightmares and roams the streets in search of goodtimes and jolly kicks. Unless you are under the legal age of eighteen, in which case you roam the streets in search of sugar highs and candy kicks. I was one of the under eighteen. I mean, I’m over eighteen. I’m twenty-four actually, but was forced, ( tricked) into taking a bunch of kids from my neighbourhood trick or treating. The kids who were part of the kids soccer team I assistant coached,had insisted I dress up. So I’d dressed up, and dragged them from house to house, as they’d collected candy. And then I’d walked them each back to their own homes.

It was during this time that the real monsters, the demons and ghouls, the vampires and witches, had decided to take advantage of the thinning veil between worlds and well… invade ours.

I was walking back from dropping off my second to last kid, with the last one holding my hand when we saw the first wierd thing that should have tipped us off. But in his defence, he was five, and I was a skeptic ;it was halloween night, strange things were par for the course. So anyway, there we were, Sehun and I walking down the street. Sehun dressed like some superhero or other, me dressed like a mermaid- a veritable vixen. It was as we were walking hand in hand, Sehun telling me of all the heinous plans he had for his arsenal of artificial sugar, me listening with one ear, when from down the street we both heard and saw a commotion. It looked like

“ he looks like he’s trying to make a baby with her” Sehun observed, and I choked.

“ Sehun?” I said.

“ Uh huh?”

“ How do you know what making a baby looks like?” I asked.

“ The animal channel,” he answered, “ they’re always showing them making babies.”

I could only sigh, “ ok well, I don’t think that’s what he’s doing, but I’d rather not find out, so we’re gonna go the other way ok?”

Sehun shrugged his little bony shoulders, “ ‘k.”

So Sehun and I steered clear of the commotion and had turned down another street. We were halfway down that street when we run into yet another commotion, a bloody man came falling out of his house, hand slapped across his throat, gurgling.

“ Whoa,” Sehun gasped, “ his costume looks super real.”

I could only agree, but I was starting to get a little spooked out, especially when from behind the man, a blood curdling, most piercing scream of terror was heard.

I grabbed Sehuns hand tighter and pulled him closer, “ come on bud, let’s get out of here, this street is really spooky.”

“ I’m not scared,” he replied.

“ Yeah well, I am, so please hurry,” I replied, “ you can keep me safe then.”

We walked about two more houses and then we run into a terrifying demon. Walking out from behind a hedge, and wiping at the blood that then smeared across his mouth. I froze, stopped dead in my tracks.

Sehun, was little more fearless than I and he tried to pull me to keep walking. I wasn’t having it. “ Sehun no,” I said, “ we’re gonna go back.”

“ But we just came from that way,” he argued, “ we’re almost home though.”

“ I know,” I answered, “ but we’re gonna go the other way. Come on.”

“ You’re such a scaredy cat Zo,” he whined.

I didn’t answer him, choosing instead to just grab his hand and tug him along. We had just taken a few steps in the opposite direction when we heard a gurgle, and a gasp. We shouldn’t have turned around, really, we shouldn’t have, but we did. And we both screamed. The demon was de-intestining some poor sad sod, his belly ripped in half, innards spilling out and into the demons mouth as he munched quite deliciously on them. Sehun and I both screamed.

And then we ran, I had his hand gripped so tight in mine, it was a wonder I didn’t rip his little arm right out of it’s socket. And all around us, left right, front and back, demons and vampires came spilling out, and people came running out of their houses, screaming, dying, yelling. Some of them being grabbed and fed on.

It was absolutely terrifying. At some point I just picked Sehun up and run with him in my arms. Don’t ask me how, I don’t know. Fear maybe gave me a strength and speed that we could almost consider impossible. I had no idea where I was going, all I knew was that I had to get away from these creatures, from these vile, nasty, ghastly, terrifying things. These were the stuff of nightmares. Like horrible nightmares, and I just wanted to get away, so I ran. Sehun clasping tight onto me and his bag of candy. I tried to run towards my flat, but halfway there and the road was blocked, cars clogging the narrow street, and demons and ghouls on the other side of the barricade. So I turned down yet another street, thinking maybe I’d just take Sehun to his place, and his parents, adults that they were would take over for me once I got there. But when we got to his street, there were three vampires occupying it. With bodies strewn around, some of whom were barely concious, having been bled of the blood running through them.

“ ,” I hissed, “ , , , ,” as I pulled Sehun behind a parked car.

“ Yifan’s!” Sehun suddenly whispered.

“ What?!” I whispered back.

“ We can try Yifan’s place, he’s not far from here,” Sehun whispered back, “ he’s on 2514 Chestnut tree ave”

I knew where that was, sort of. It wasn’t that far away, and hopefully, it would be safer than where Sehun and I currently were. But,

“ Your house is right there though, maybe we should try and go through the back way,” I whispered to him, peeking over the bonnet of the car.  Sehun shook his head.

“ Nu uh,” he whispered, “ dad’s gonna be at the precinct remember. And besides, he always says that if anything ever happens, and I can’t go home, then I should go to Yifans,”

I bit my lip, thinking about it, and I’ve got to be honest here,I would have probably still tried to make a run for his house if not for the vampire that suddenly turned in our direction and started sniffing the air. I ducked back quickly, and held my breath,then took a deep breath and dropped to the floor, peeking under the car, and slapping my hand over my mouth when I saw that not one, not two, but three vampires were slowly heading in our direction. They were in no hurry, like they knew that they could take their sweet time, because no way I could fight them.

“ We need to go,” Sehun hissed, and I nodded,took a deep breath, whimpered for good measure, then grabbed picked him up and ran. Man did I run.

I aimed for the main streets, because my hope was that there’d be people in the streets and that there’d be the normal halloween pandemonium that obviously would be exarcabated by the supernatural goings ons that Sehun and I had witnessed. With enough of a crowd Sehun and I could get lost in it, make ourselves less of a target for the supernatural evil’s. And yes, I was well aware that I also risked running into more evil nasties by aiming for the main streets but it was a risk I was willing to take. So Sehun and I ran. Me holding onto Sehun. Sehun holding onto his bag of candy…. And me.

Chestnut tree Ave, wasn’t that far away. Only about a mile, if I stayed on the main  Hyungnim st. Once I got to Chestnut tree ave though I started taking the smaller back streets, creeping along, and winding, til we came to 2514 Chestnut tree ave. Yifan’s place. It was kind of spooky, the whole street was dark, not a light in sight.

I was too scared to knock, because I didn’t want to draw attention to us. “ I have a key,”Sehun whispered, reaching into his costume to pull out a little purse attached to a strap that slung all the way around his body and pulling out a key.I almost wept tears of relief I tell you. So Sehun and I opened that door as quietly as we could, and crept in.Shutting and locking the door behind us.

“ Yifan’s room is on that side,” Sehun whispered. I pulled him back and shoved him behind me.

“ Wait,” I hissed, “ you don’t know if it’s safe,”

Sehun scowled at me, but grabbed onto the back of my costume, following close behind as I used my phone as a flashlight and made my way to Yifan’s room. The door wasn’t locked and I opened it slowly, only to scream in abject horror as a hand clamped over my mouth and pulled me all the way into the room, the light flipping on.

“ Yifan!” Sehun whisper shouted as he tackled his brothers knees, “ let her go!!”

Yifan grunted and caught Sehun, I fell to my .

“ Hey, hey, shh Sehun, shhh, you’ve got to be quiet,” Yifan hissed, putting his hand over his baby brother’s mouth, “ what are you doing here?”

Sehun sniffled, then sniffled again, and then he burrowed his head in Yifan’s shoulder and started crying.

I am not ashamed to admit that in that moment, I was absolutely jealous of a five year old. I wanted some strong shoulders to cry on. Seriously. I wished I had some strong shoulders to cry on.


a/n: so I'm not sure how long a fic this is gonna be, but the muse insisted. So it had to be done. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter.