No Need

The Flower Crown & The Two Swords

 

The recruits straightened themselves, left hand behind their backs, right hand holding their sword as straight as their bodies. They bowed 90 degrees in unison.

Cheng Xiao bowed back, showing respect for their hard work in one more training session.

Sticking her sword back into the steel scabbard hanging in her waist, Cheng Xiao noticed some of the young ones walking towards her.

“Princess!” Said one of the girls, around thirteen.

Cheng Xiao carefully placed a finger near the little girl’s lips.

“Captain.” She gave her a warm smile. “I’m no princess here.”

The little girl smiled, a blush peeking in her cheeks.

“I-I just wanted to say it’s an honor to train and learn from you.” She bowed, alongside the other kids who came with her. “My dream is to be as strong as you.”

Cheng Xiao smiled even wider. She rested her hand on top of the girl's head.

“I’m sure you will, as long as you work hard.” Her words were calm, yet powerful and encouraging.

The girl’s eyes widened for a few seconds while her eyebrows rose, until they drew together on a fierce expression.

“Thank you, Prin- Captain!”

Cheng Xiao patted the girl’s head.

“Now now, off you go. Go enjoy the sun while it still shines.”

The kids bowed once more and took a run, that one girl launching an open invitation to her colleagues to stay behind and practice more by themselves.

Cheng Xiao observed with a hint of a smile on her lips.

She was told many times people wanted to be like her, or as strong as her, or even stronger. Cheng Xiao took that as a compliment, of course. Being the Captain of the army, and head Captain of the swordsman squad, meant she was really strong.

She liked to think that way rather than believing her position was only due to her birth status. She was, after all, the only daughter of the king, therefore the Crown Princess of the Xiwang Kingdom and captain of the army by default.

Growing up without a mother, with a father who'd always been fond of the combat arts, had its perks. To this day, she had yet to be defeated in a sword fight, her specialty. However, during her training, she also took a liking to hand-to-hand combat. She used to train and learn by herself, until her father noticed her abilities and decided to appoint a master to tutor her individually.

What she considered her greatest strength, and her "hidden secret" for success, was her mind over body philosophy. Without fail, the princess meditated twice, every single day, in contact with nature. It was the perfect way to end a long and tiring day, relax her body and connect with her surroundings.

Cheng Xiao walked to her favorite place in the entire castle – the back garden of her room. Walking past a corridor of tall trees, there was a clearing. Fresh green grass and a large pond, with koi fish swimming around. Her meditation ground.

She sat with crossed legs, placing her sword on the grass, next to her body. Straightening her back and resting her hands on her knees facing upward, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Slowly, as usual, she willed herself to feel her body in connection with her surroundings, to stay present in the moment. Not the past, not the future, not her worries – they had no place here.

The princess was one with the nature. She could hear the birds chirping in the trees, the grass and tree leaves dancing with each other and the sound of the many fins in the pond.

After some time, some odd sound coming from the trees took her out of her trance. The sound of the leaves was different, as it would be when a body moves through them – could it be a squirrel? Or a person.

An odd smell reached her nose.

Presences. Three of them, approached from inside the dense trees. Cheng Xiao didn’t move an inch. She wanted, whoever it was, to approach her. She would act when she felt like, and only if she absolutely must.

And when she heard the clinking of swords being unsheathed, on either side of her, she knew she absolutely must.

Finally opening her eyes, Cheng Xiao rolled on her back, then using her hands for support and the strength of her arms, she raised her body up. Maintaining her balance on her palms, Cheng Xiao kicked both sides, hitting right in their jaws, making both figures stumble back.

They didn’t even hit the floor when the other person charged towards her. She rolled to her front, grabbing her sword in the process, making it just in time to block a frontal blow. They'd tried to hit her with the hilt of the sword – they weren't trying to kill her.

The clash of the blades echoed thought the air, scaring the birds away. The hooded, masked figure, had a clear advantage on her. He was likely male and a full head taller. But his moves were sloppy, slow, and badly premeditated. He couldn't match her dexterity. With one swift movement of her sword, Cheng Xiao disarmed the man, and kicked his gut right next, making him growl in pain.

Cheng Xiao quickly got up, now surrounded by the three of them, who had already regained their postures.

"Who are you, and what do you want?" Cheng Xiao asked, her voice firm and intimidating. "If you're looking for a fight, I highly suggest you leave. You're no match for me." She spun her sword in her hand a couple times.

None of them dared to speak. As expected. She let out a chuckle, not lowering her guard.

They charged at her.

Blocking a blow with her sword, she grabbed the wrist of the one who had lost his sword earlier, stopping him, and tripped the other who charged at her. She twisted his wrist, making his body follow the movement or else she would break it. Hearing the man she just kicked running back to her, she quickly ducked, kicking his shin hard enough for him to hit the ground.

In a second of silence, Cheng Xiao heard it. Steps... louder, closer.

The guards were on their way towards them. When the men noticed the approaching squad, they split in different directions and took off in a run. They had planned it to the utmost detail.

"Your Highness!" A guard said, as he ordered the rest of the group to chase the intruders. "Are you hurt?"

"No. They just..."

"I'm going to ring the alarm bell!" Another guard said, starting to walk back. He turned to another colleague. "You, go inform His Majesty about this."

"No!" Cheng Xiao interrupted. "I'll talk to him later. Don't worry, it was nothing serious."

"With all my respect, Your Highness, this is a matter that concerns your security. His Majesty must know. We need to take appropriate precaution measures to prevent further incidents."

Cheng Xiao sighed.

"We'll accompany you to your room."

 

♚♚♚

 

Cheng Xiao stepped inside her room, closing the door behind her.

"Oh, welcome back, Your Highness!" The woman cleaning her room said with her smile that Cheng Xiao always found comparable to a ray of morning sun.

"Bona, how many times do I need to tell you to call me by my name?" Cheng Xiao playfully punched the older woman's shoulder. "You’re my best friend. As the Princess, I order you to call me Xiao."

Bona had been Cheng Xiao’s handmaid for more than a year now, and they had become best friends in no time. Since Cheng Xiao spent a good chunk of her day with her, and their age difference was only three years, Cheng Xiao felt not only cared for, but genuinely understood.

“As always, using your authority to have your way, I see.” Bona chucked. “But if that’s your wish, I shall comply, Xiao.”

The princess smiled, satisfied with her argument.

“You’re back earlier than usual.” Bona pointed out, as Cheng Xiao jumped to her bed.

“Well, I would have meditated for longer if I hadn’t been jumped on by three guys."

Bona turned to her abruptly, almost dropping her cleaning cloth.

“W-what do you mean?”

“I was meditating when three hooded guys decided it was a good idea to put up a fight with me.” She said nonchalantly.

“Oh dear, are you okay? Did they hurt you? ” Bona ran to her.

“They didn’t lay a finger on me, Bona.” Cheng Xiao smiled. “I’m perfectly fine. I just don’t understand who they were nor what they wanted. For them to be able to break into the castle, either they managed to pass through the guards, or they’re from inside.”

“Why would someone from the castle attack you? Or someone from outside, for the matter.”

“I don’t know, but I don’t insist on knowing either.”

“How can you be so calm? You could have been killed!" The servant argued.

"No, not really. They weren't trying to kill me, just knock me out. Probably the typical smartasses thinking they can snatch me away for a ransom."

"His Majesty need to know!”

“God, you too? The guards are probably talking to him by now. I’m fine really, there’s no need to make such a fuss over it.”

Bona looked at her with a dropped chin.

“Your confidence is enviable, but you need to understand your responsibility as the only princess of this kingdom. You need to keep yourself alive and well at all costs, or this kingdom will have no heir.”

“I know, that’s why my father trained me so well, and I’m grateful for it.” Cheng Xiao smiled bitterly.

Before Bona could scold her a bit more, someone knocked on the door.

“Your Highness, His Majesty wishes to see you.” The guard from earlier said.

Cheng Xiao rolled her eyes.

"See? He's been informed of it, alright." She scoffed, making her way towards the door with arms crossed.

 

♚♚♚

 

“Hello, Father.”

“My dear daughter, please take a seat! Dinner shall be served soon.”

As the king sat by the end of the magnanimous dining table, Cheng Xiao sat by his side.

“I assume you have been made aware of the happenings of this afternoon.” She said.

“Yes, and I am deeply concerned about your security.”

“You need not to worry, Father. You trained me well.”

The King smiled and rested his hand on top of his daughter's.

“Yes, I did, and I don't doubt your abilities. But if those men managed to breach our security, then there is certainly some flaw in it that needs to be taken care of. It is necessary to take additional measures to reinforce your protection. Although I am glad you are unharmed, one cannot predict what can happen in the future.”

“Whatever happens, I will not let anyone touch me, you know that.”

“I know you are the best swordsman and fighter this kingdom has seen, and I am as proud of you as I could be. However, this time it was three individuals. Next time, it could be more. Remember what I have taught you about the strength of numbers. Because I am concerned this could have a sequel, I took the decision of assigning a personal guard for you.”

Chang Xiao widened her eyes.

“Father, I-I don’t want a body guard. I don’t need it.”

“It does not matter whether you need it or needn’t. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I also reinforced the security around the castle and asked for a thorough investigation on this breech and a possible identity for these men.” Her father kept his voice stern.

Cheng Xiao dropped her head and her lips formed a thin line. King Cheng smiled and hit his glass with a fork two times.

Steps echoed in the room. She looked behind her and a figure faded in from the dark corridor. The woman was tall and slender, with long dark hair, bangs draped over her forehead. Her prominent nose, sharp jaw line and small, delicate lips gave her a serious aura.

Cheng Xiao couldn’t help but letting her chin drop just enough to show her surprise.

“Your Majesty, Your Highness.” The woman said, bowing to the two of them.

“Thank you.” The King said, and then turned to Cheng Xiao. “The Captain of the Guard appointed this woman as his most skilled guard. My daughter, she goes by the name of Son Eunseo. I am placing my trust on the both of you to cooperate in a way that best serves the interest of keeping the Princess safe.”

 

♚♚♚

 

A/N: I really hope you guys liked the first chapter! I'm very excited for this story since it's a very different concept from what I've written so far, so lemme me know what you think of it ^^