2.1

Lost You Once, Lose You Again (LYOLYA)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2.1: Dream

Jeongyeon

 

I am sitting on a chair inside an office. I waited as I watch the hands of the clock tick. It’s almost an hour and I still can’t hear anything from Taeyeon or Dahyun inside the door in front of me.

     After a minute, the door finally opened – revealing Taeyeon. She gave me a nod of her head – a sign that I can now enter the room.

Kim Taeyeon (Human). A saint whose god passed away, yet her abilities remained. Without my ability to heal mythical beings, Taeyeon carried the responsibility. Aside from me, she is a well-respected and holy figure of our kind—and with her role, she is part of the executive leaders of the mythic circle. She used to hear the words of God, but that ability vanished when the god she is devoted to died; hence, the ability died alongside him. The only abilities remaining are her healing powers, the skill to see the future, and read dreams, and powers that are yet to be shown to the rest. Her role as a saint is a secret to humanity for being a saint means a step closer to god and mortals will take advantage of that. Saints may not be mythical creatures, but every creature that holds inhuman powers, abilities that human minds cannot comprehend – abilities that will affect the balance – falls under my jurisdiction.

     Taeyeon is an idol in the human world and is under the management of a known entertainment company so it’s quite hard to enter and talk with her. However, under special cases, Taeyeon meets only the high-ranking mythical leaders in case of emergencies; hence, the secret codes. 

     “She is alright now; I removed the pain in her chest and allowed her to rest. She can go back home once she wakes up.” Taeyeon spoke. “So, this is the new member of your family, huh? For you to bring a sirène here surprised me.”

     “Any explanation why Dahyun experienced such a state?” I asked, my attention still on Dahyun.

     Taeyeon answered. “One night of fresh water cannot replenish her good energy, Jeongyeon.”

     “How about the dream?”

     “Now let us see: a sword, you, a girl calling out your name, and this mermaid getting stabbed by a human and pulling her heart out. Isn’t it close to a premonition than a warning? Unless she dreamt another one like that with some new events and scenarios, I might find answers. For now, I have none. It is hard to read with such few details and conditions. I cannot confirm whether it is driven by her subconscious, or it is a premonition of a bad future.”

     “I see,”

     “And you mentioned Dahyun being able to see your wings but grey?” I nod my head in reply. “That is a first. A mermaid from a rare race was able to see your wings that no other creatures can.”

     “Not even her race can see it. Well, other than her I guess.”

     “Hmm. She’s one strange sirène, don’t you think? Coming up to land because of a voice, and now seeing your wings that only the gods themselves and your lover can see.”

     “Anyway, thank you so much for your help, Taeyeon.” I opened my palm and stare at it, “If only… if only I can heal again.”

     “I’m honoured to help you, Jeongyeon. Don’t be hard on yourself, you can heal again. You are a god, there is nothing that you can’t do.”

     “A god who is exiled and persecuted, Taeyeon.”

     Instead of arguing with what I said, Taeyeon only smiled. “Since you are here, I won’t waste more time. Knowing you? You are a busy person. I have something to talk about.” Taeyeon faced me, “I had a vision. I saw an object shining brighter as the sun—but it is not the sun, it was something that I cannot fathom what; and, a pair of luminescent and gold lights staring at me and a face of a dragon, and a girl—her name: Kou.”

     My eyes widened. “Kou? What about Kou?!”   

     “All I saw are those who and what are in my visions—images and not scenarios. I don’t have answers… yet. I am still waiting for the next vision to come to finally make up a plausible answer.” She replied. “From the images, I couldn’t say it’s bad, but I couldn’t say it’s good either. However, to think that I would see you and Kou in a vision, it seems like you are currently on the right track, my friend. I’ve never had this kind of vision before, but you had, right? Every time you go out to find her, you always get visions, or you are drawn to where she is.”

     “Is there anything else?”

     “When I heard from the wind that you are back after ten long years, I was overjoyed to hear that the guardian of mythical creatures had returned. Your sister and I (and the rest of the leaders) were having a hard time dealing with the enormous number of mythic in the country. Not to mention the problem with the Grim Reaper Association.” Taeyeon sighed, “The abnormal number of humans and mythic dying is reaching its peak—Grim Reapers could not handle them alone. This situation bothered me and the rest—it is as if something is happening that we have no knowledge about. I fear that the peaceful times will be bothered, Jeongyeon.”

     “Jennie and I met coincidentally this morning, and she mentioned the abnormal increase of humans dying. If something serious is happening here, I will have to step in and handle things.”

     I received a message from the president and Jihyo. Jihyo informed me she will fetch Dahyun, and due to my schedule with the president, I cannot stay.

     “I’m sorry if I must leave Dahyun with you,” I said, preparing to leave. “I have a rendezvous with an old friend. Will she be okay here? Jihyo will come and fetch her in my stead.”

     “You’re asking as if you don’t trust your dear friend.”

     I chuckled, “Thank you again, Taeyeon.”

     Arriving at the university, I proceeded to the president’s office and knocked on the door twice before the secretary opens it for me. I saw a man sitting on an office chair behind a table – his attention was on the papers in front of him.

     The president noticed my presence. “Professor Yoo!” he excitingly greets.

     “President Kim,” I bow.

     He stood up from his seat and approached me, “I’m really glad to see you again! You haven’t changed (aged, rather), not even a bit.”

     “I’ll take that as a compliment. You have changed a lot, President. The last time I saw you was when you don’t have many strands of white hair, but looking you know, I could not even recognize that it was you. Too much stress with the grandchildren and the university perhaps?”

     The university president is a friend from the past. I saved him during the war and since then he devoted himself to me – offering his loyalty and assistance as payment for his life.

     “You got that right, my friend.” The president offered me to take a seat on a chair in front of his table before handing me a file, “Now, back to business. The folder contains the information about the student we’re having trouble with. She’s an academically excellent actress. She is currently in a scandal and her management has instructed us to keep her… busy.”

     I opened the folder. The moment my eyes landed on Nayeon’s photo, a surge of electricity ran through my veins and the feeling of nostalgia bothered me. This woman looked like someone I treasure back in the past. It’s like I am seeing her image in modern times – it’s making my heart ache.

     I decided to brush the thought and feeling away.

     I said, “Im Nayeon. An actress, huh? Never heard nor seen her.”

     The president takes two glasses from his secret stash and poured a bottle of whiskey for us both. “Now why isn’t that a surprise?”

     “What seems to be the trouble with this Im Nayeon?” I asked.

     The president answered, “She is not easy to please. Nayeon will cause a ruckus if something doesn’t entertain her—skip class, party on campus, and even threaten that she will leave the university.”

     I look at the president with a disbelief look on my face – curious as to why he would bother to please this mere human. “Why bother over this?” I asked, drinking my glass of whiskey.

     He answered, “Her foster father is a dear friend of mine.” 

I can sense lament in his smile – reminiscing an old memory. “I owe her father a favour. He passed away when Nayeon was still young—and his wish was for his daug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter